Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Anyone read this? 'How to pray a good prayer'

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Has anyone read this book by Ali Reza Panahian? Or plans on buying it in the future?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08M7JBGLJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, starlight said:

Has anyone read this book by Ali Reza Panahian? Or plans on buying it in the future?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08M7JBGLJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

He is a wonderful scholar. So, I believe the book would be brilliant. 

I have not read the book though, but I have heard a lot to his lectures so I can guess how the book would be. 

• Moderators

If someone buys it please share a soft copy with me.  :P 

Allah! please give hidayat to Amazon to lower the shipping fees on books at least and please forgive me if I end up reading stolen copy. 

IMG_20201128_175445.thumb.jpg.2d5677e614bf2c3183e2dfb795f8e2d7.jpg

• Veteran Member

I have been wanting to read a book or listen to a lecture for a while now on improving my daily prayer and its been on my mind but end up forgetting to research. Btw (side topic), i have noticed A LOT that whenever a thought crosses my mind regarding religion (for example, how to do something or just generally wonder about something), after a few days or so God sends someone or something my way regarding that "thing." Guess this is one of those times :)  

• Veteran Member

:salam:

Dear sister @starlight and all readers btw, it's an open question. 

Don't you think at that point we should not be asking books to give us recommendations on how to pray, and rather find the answer ourselves ? 

I mean, we all read the importance of praying on time, khushu` and so on. 

But sometimes I feel there is much more to it, like it's very close to us but remains concealed, and the only key is inside us, not books. 

Anybody else in this situation ? 

• Veteran Member
16 minutes ago, realizm said:

But sometimes I feel there is much more to it, like . . .

Anybody else in this situation ? 

We recite surah, inshallah. Then there is salah for a shukran and for istikhara.

Separate formats for funerals, rain, and so forth.

What else is there except wandering in the mind?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, realizm said:

But sometimes I feel there is much more to it, like it's very close to us but remains concealed

Oh definitely!!

2 hours ago, realizm said:

we should not be asking books to give us recommendations on how to pray, and rather find the answer ourselves ? 

I have been trying to and I have achieved some success but there is a mystical/spiritual dimension to prayer that enables the person to reach the highest of spiritual stages. I thought it would be nice to have a scholar's advice on it, especially for people like me who do not have access to any teachers(oh, how I wish I did) and neither do I have any people around me unfortunately who are trying to find similar answers(lol, so many times I feel l live in a parallel universe as I fail to comprehend the actions and thought processes of people around me and they don't understand the world I live in)

@al-Muttaqin 

@Laayla @The Green Knight

Anyway, rant over. Would love to hear your thoughts about 'praying a good prayer' and anyone else who wants to contribute. Maybe we can give Agha Panahian some suggestions for the next edition :p 

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

I have been wanting to read a book or listen to a lecture for a while now on improving my daily prayer and its been on my mind but end up forgetting to research. Btw (side topic), i have noticed A LOT that whenever a thought crosses my mind regarding religion (for example, how to do something or just generally wonder about something), after a few days or so God sends someone or something my way regarding that "thing." Guess this is one of those times :)  

Salaam, 

Their is also one book if you want to read something to correct your prayers. After reading it I don't feel any need of reading anymore books on prayers. It is extremely detailed.

Sister, I strongly recommend you to read it. Every chapter of the book is a sort of a guide for the prayers. If you are fine with reading an ebook, that would be a good option. 

Here is the link:

Adabus Salat by Ayatullah Khomeini.

http://www.islamicmobility.com/book-details/Adabus Salat - The Disciplines of The Prayer

If you need lectures, the scholar Agha Ali Reza Panahian has spoken at many places on the same topic. You can check on his youtube channel.

https://youtube.com/c/PanahianEnglish

May Allah bless you and help you with your prayers

• Veteran Member
11 hours ago, starlight said:

Oh definitely!!

I have been trying to and I have achieved some success but there is a mystical/spiritual dimension to prayer that enables the person to reach the highest of spiritual stages. I thought it would be nice to have a scholar's advice on it, especially for people like me who do not have access to any teachers(oh, how I wish I did) and neither do I have any people around me unfortunately who are trying to find similar answers(lol, so many times I feel l live in a parallel universe as I fail to comprehend the actions and thought processes of people around me and they don't understand the world I live in)

@al-Muttaqin 

@Laayla @The Green Knight

Anyway, rant over. Would love to hear your thoughts about 'praying a good prayer' and anyone else who wants to contribute. Maybe we can give Agha Panahian some suggestions for the next edition :p 

:salam:

I pray we all find some of those secrets ! 

Sometimes I feel the righteousness of our prayers depend on our everyday intentions and actions

13 hours ago, hasanhh said:

We recite surah, inshallah. Then there is salah for a shukran and for istikhara.

Separate formats for funerals, rain, and so forth.

What else is there except wandering in the mind?

I meant there is more to prayer than just concentration or theorical tips. 

But indeed you raised a good point in the continuity of what I said above. Each of our actions, wishes and feelings should be a salat. 

• Moderators

I listened to some speeches of this alim online, with subtitles, I don't understand Farsi. I never heard of him before the sister made this thread. Seems to be very knowledgeable and gives good advice. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) reward him. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Basic Members

Its a really good book, Im reading it for the second time now incase Ive missed anything. Im not much of a reader either, infact I havent read in years but this book is really good for people who want to improve their prayers, gets you really hooked

Its good some amazing advices, talks about how at first one shouldn’t pray to enjoy it because if one does pray to enjoy it and doesnt, he’ll lose motivation and eventually stopped praying because hes not enjoying

one should pray to be obedient to Allah and enjoyment will inshallah come

its got much more this obviously but this one was the most relevant to me, overall its helped me with my prayers

hope that helps

• Veteran Member

What I have learnt:

- Have a clear heart about Allah. He is Subhaan and beyond our understanding and He DOES listen. He does what is right. It is one of His rights incumbent upon us to offer 5 prayers daily and these as well as Nawafil prayers are very good for us. (I have been praying nawafil a lot (until exhaustion) along with weight training routine at home and with it I overcame hypertension I was developing -- prayers, fasting, every order is for OUR benefit). It is the greatest honor that He lets us into His presence on our own. Hopelessness and despondence or thinking that prayers go unanswered is a greater sin next to shirk according to Ayatullah Dastghaib Shirazi in his book on greater sins available on www.al-islam,org.

- Offer the obligatory prayers on time. This is the biggest single, "standalone" improvement one can make with regards to prayers. Pay attention to and do the mustahibbaat. There are so many of them and I still do not know.

- Do not just recite but mean what you say, which is only possible when giving attention to each word we say in prayers. It will give immense rejuvenation and spiritual ascension each time. Do the same thing with Tasbeeh e Fatima after prayer. Spiritual ascension is simply nearness to our Creator, Allah.

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum Sister @starlight

If you have Telegram, you can join the group.

In the first stage, prayer is not being in love with God!

In the first stage, prayer is not being in love with God. In the beginning, prayer is enduring hardship and not attaining spiritual enjoyment. The Almighty God knew that in the beginning of the way, we are not in love with Him and we don’t know Him. The Almighty God knows that after forty years of worshiping, we will gradually be able to taste the sweetness of talking to Him. That is why He has given us such a command. Nonetheless, we think our prayer is good only if we enjoy it!

Sometimes it is not nice if we are in pursuit of tasting the sweetness of prayer and enjoying it. Sometimes, it is not right to ask, “What should I do to enjoy praying?”

Sometimes a person is not after praying. He is in pursuit of enjoying something and his own desires. He wants to taste the sweetness of prayer, because he wants his whole life to be full of sweetness. He thinks that prayer is like a “Tom & Jerry” cartoon that when he goes to it, he will become magically drowned in it and enjoy it! Sometimes, a person thinks that praying is like watching a movie. If God had wanted, He could have made prayer sweet and enjoyable for everyone so that everyone would be attracted to prayer. Actually, God causes a person to become disgruntled by prayer. Of course, God is wise in doing this, like all of His other actions. What is the wisdom behind this?

You can now read Ali Reza Panahian’s in-depth discussion about “How to Pray a Good Prayer"!

This book is now available in English on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle edition.

@PanahianEN

Many benefits from praying have been mentioned in the traditions. If you ask mystics or scholars about how to reach heights in spiritual matters, they will emphasize “prayer.” If prayer is truly this important and effective, why doesn’t it affect us?! After praying all these prayers, why haven’t we become mystics? If “prayer is the ascension of the believer” and it is enjoyable, why don’t we enjoy praying the way we should?! What is wrong with our prayers that they have become a repetitive, tedious task for us?! What can we do for our prayers to help us to grow and have an effect on us? 
By reading this book, you can find the answers to these questions.

You can now read Ali Reza Panahian’s in-depth discussion about “How to Pray a Good Prayer"!

This book is now available in English on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle edition.

@PanahianEN

Do you feel that your problems have become too many and are overwhelming you?

Whenever you see a deficiency in your life, material or immaterial, spiritual or physical, check your prayer as the first step. Maybe you are not putting enough effort into your praying. Of course, a believer has problems and difficulties in this world. Sometimes he becomes sick, becomes entangled, or has an accident. A believer becomes entangled with problems. However, if you feel that your problems have become too many and are overwhelming you, or you feel that these problems shouldn’t bother you this much, you probably haven’t put enough effort into your prayer. Fix your prayer, and if God wills, your problems will be solved too. 

It is the same way in spiritual matters too. Sometimes a believer wants to sin, or Satan tempts him. Sometimes a believer makes a mistake. But if you see that your mistakes are taking you out of the circle of life, and your spiritual situation is getting worse to the extent that you are not in contact with God, the first thing you have to do is to fix your prayer. Tell yourself, “It is obvious that I am praying badly.” 

@PanahianEN

The book “How to Pray a Good Prayer” by Ali Reza Panahian is now available on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle edition.

In the US: amazon.com/author/panahian
In Spain: amazon.es/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In Italy: amazon.it/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In France: amazon.fr/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In the UK: amazon.co.uk/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In Germany: amazon.de/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In India: amazon.in/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In Brazil: amazon.com.br/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In Australia: amazon.com.au/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In Canada: amazon.ca/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In Japan: amazon.jp/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC
In Mexico: amazon.com.mx/Alireza-Panahian/e/B00DSJYWHC