Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Seeking advice to right my wrongs

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Basic Members

Salam

Coming from a sinful past, I had some questions thats been stuck in my mind a for abit

first of all, can somebody tell me how khums and zakat work

I am in construction and i have been earning plenty of money for the past 5 years but never gave any khums or zakat

does everything i own now considered haram since it basically came from haram money and should i donate them

Also, Im not a convert to shia islam but i came from a very uneducated in religion family but i myself knew most the stuff i was doing was wrong

I have also missed years of prayers and fasting

any advice on how i should go from here to become a proper shia would be appreciated because only god knows how much I want to make up for all the wrongs ive done

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

قُلۡ يٰعِبَادِىَ الَّذِيۡنَ اَسۡرَفُوۡا عَلٰٓى اَنۡفُسِهِمۡ لَا تَقۡنَطُوۡا مِنۡ رَّحۡمَةِ اللّٰهِ ؕ اِنَّ اللّٰهَ يَغۡفِرُ الذُّنُوۡبَ جَمِيۡعًا ؕ اِنَّهٗ هُوَ الۡغَفُوۡرُ الرَّحِيۡمُ‏
وَاَنِيۡبُوۡۤا اِلٰى رَبِّكُمۡ وَاَسۡلِمُوۡا لَهٗ مِنۡ قَبۡلِ اَنۡ يَّاۡتِيَكُمُ الۡعَذَابُ ثُمَّ لَا تُنۡصَرُوۡنَ
وَاتَّبِعُوۡۤا اَحۡسَنَ مَاۤ اُنۡزِلَ اِلَيۡكُمۡ مِّنۡ رَّبِّكُمۡ مِّنۡ قَبۡلِ اَنۡ يَّاۡتِيَكُمُ الۡعَذَابُ بَغۡتَةً وَّاَنۡتُمۡ لَا تَشۡعُرُوۡنَۙ

Tell them: “O My servants who have transgressed against themselves, do not despair of Allah's Mercy! Surely Allah forgives all sins. He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.
And turn to your Lord and submit yourselves to Him before the chastisement over-takes you; for then you will receive no help.
And follow the best
 of what has been revealed to you from your Lord before the chastisement suddenly comes upon you without you even being aware of it.”

Repent and Allah willing, it will be accepted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Yaa ALI madad said:

Salam

Coming from a sinful past, I had some questions thats been stuck in my mind a for abit

first of all, can somebody tell me how khums and zakat work

I am in construction and i have been earning plenty of money for the past 5 years but never gave any khums or zakat

does everything i own now considered haram since it basically came from haram money and should i donate them

Also, Im not a convert to shia islam but i came from a very uneducated in religion family but i myself knew most the stuff i was doing was wrong

I have also missed years of prayers and fasting

any advice on how i should go from here to become a proper shia would be appreciated because only god knows how much I want to make up for all the wrongs ive done

thanks

Walekumassalam brother, 

Alhumdulillah.

Firstly as brother Nightclaw stated the Quranic verse. 

Don't despair. Allah is forgiving. 

Now, as you have started with the path of Shia Islam. 

Let me discuss Khums. All what happened in the past is a past. Repent and move ahead. 

And then, pay your Khums from now onwards according to the rulings

Basics of Khums:

Khums is 1/5th of your savings. It is paid yearly but if you can pay it monthly, even better. (because paying it monthly is mustahab).

It is divided into two equal parts: Sehm e Imam and Sehm e Sadaat. 

Sehm e Imam:

This belongs to Imam e Zamana (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف) and is used for the purpose of fulfilling the faith and community goals related to religion. It is paid to a marja (Religious authority) that collects it on behalf of Imam e Zamana (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف). If you cannot reach your Marja then pay it to those organisations in the world that have a permission from the office of the Marja. To know, if they are legitimate, just ask them about the permit letter (Ijaza) signed by the respective marja.

Sehm e Sadaat:

This part of Tax goes to the needy Sayyed brothrens (Descendents of the Holy Prophet (SAW)). This part of tax depends on you. You can pay it to the same chartiable trust, whom you provided with the Sehm e Imam if they also collect the sehm e sadaat. Or you can reach out to a poor, needy Sayed and give it to him. The final aim is to give it to a needy Sayed. 

I don't know which marja you follow. I am a follower of Sayed Sistani (رضي الله عنه) and this is his ruling about Khums:

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2280/

Zakat is actually for business people. If you are in business or you have a property out of the 10 things mentioned below,  Zakat is applicable on you:

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2279/

Regarding your prayers and fasting. 

Start praying the daily wajib prayers on time and also do fast in the month of Ramzaan. Just follow the general laws for now. 

Spend time in repentence from your previous sins. Talk to Allah through Duas, Munajaat etc. 

Don't feel bad and don't despair. Allah forgives those who have a sense of realisation for their sins. We all are sinners (unfortunately). We all do mistakes but Allah mercy encompasses everything.

May Allah guide you, bless you, protect you, forgive you and be your helper. 

Decide a marja whom you want to follow and check for their law book. If it's difficult, feel free to ask. I will try my best to answer your questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Basic Members
9 hours ago, Zainuu said:

Walekumassalam brother, 

Alhumdulillah.

Firstly as brother Nightclaw stated the Quranic verse. 

Don't despair. Allah is forgiving. 

Now, as you have started with the path of Shia Islam. 

Let me discuss Khums. All what happened in the past is a past. Repent and move ahead. 

And then, pay your Khums from now onwards according to the rulings

Basics of Khums:

Khums is 1/5th of your savings. It is paid yearly but if you can pay it monthly, even better. (because paying it monthly is mustahab).

It is divided into two equal parts: Sehm e Imam and Sehm e Sadaat. 

Sehm e Imam:

This belongs to Imam e Zamana (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف) and is used for the purpose of fulfilling the faith and community goals related to religion. It is paid to a marja (Religious authority) that collects it on behalf of Imam e Zamana (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف). If you cannot reach your Marja then pay it to those organisations in the world that have a permission from the office of the Marja. To know, if they are legitimate, just ask them about the permit letter (Ijaza) signed by the respective marja.

Sehm e Sadaat:

This part of Tax goes to the needy Sayyed brothrens (Descendents of the Holy Prophet (SAW)). This part of tax depends on you. You can pay it to the same chartiable trust, whom you provided with the Sehm e Imam if they also collect the sehm e sadaat. Or you can reach out to a poor, needy Sayed and give it to him. The final aim is to give it to a needy Sayed. 

I don't know which marja you follow. I am a follower of Sayed Sistani (رضي الله عنه) and this is his ruling about Khums:

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2280/

Zakat is actually for business people. If you are in business or you have a property out of the 10 things mentioned below,  Zakat is applicable on you:

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2279/

Regarding your prayers and fasting. 

Start praying the daily wajib prayers on time and also do fast in the month of Ramzaan. Just follow the general laws for now. 

Spend time in repentence from your previous sins. Talk to Allah through Duas, Munajaat etc. 

Don't feel bad and don't despair. Allah forgives those who have a sense of realisation for their sins. We all are sinners (unfortunately). We all do mistakes but Allah mercy encompasses everything.

May Allah guide you, bless you, protect you, forgive you and be your helper. 

Decide a marja whom you want to follow and check for their law book. If it's difficult, feel free to ask. I will try my best to answer your questions.

Thanks you for that brother

But i am not a convert to shia islam, i was already a follower, not a very good one though, so does that still apply

I follow ayatollah sistani aswell, just some of the stuff is a little difficult for me to understand since i got OCD too, helps me much more to talk to a real person

can you tell me a charity that ayatollah sistani has permitted

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Yaa ALI madad said:

can you tell me a charity that ayatollah sistani has permitted

Salaam, 

https://www.al-ayn.org/

I guess it is directly linked to the office of Sayyed al Sistani(رضي الله عنه). If you want to see the Ijaza, I have it. I myself paid to al-ayn only. 

7 hours ago, Yaa ALI madad said:

But i am not a convert to shia islam, i was already a follower, not a very good one though, so does that still apply

You can ask this question to Sayyed al Sistani (رضي الله عنه). I will also confirm from my side :

what I found is this:  

This is from the book 'Jurisprudence made easy: Dialogue on Khums' :

What shall be the position of a businessman, a landlord, an industrialist, an employee, a student, or others who did not pay attention to paying khums on their gains years on end, then it dawned on them to pay the prescribed religious tax?
- Such people should pay khums on all these gains, except for their yearly provisions, but on everything in excess of their need.
* Could you give me an example?
- Suppose you bought a second house, i.e. other than the one you live in, you should pay khums on it. Khums should also be paid on furniture, and other goods, bought, but not used, thus becoming surplus to one’s requirement.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/49/2411/

May Allah bless you

Edited by Zainuu
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 11/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, Yaa ALI madad said:

Salam

Coming from a sinful past, I had some questions thats been stuck in my mind a for abit

first of all, can somebody tell me how khums and zakat work

I am in construction and i have been earning plenty of money for the past 5 years but never gave any khums or zakat

does everything i own now considered haram since it basically came from haram money and should i donate them

Also, Im not a convert to shia islam but i came from a very uneducated in religion family but i myself knew most the stuff i was doing was wrong

I have also missed years of prayers and fasting

any advice on how i should go from here to become a proper shia would be appreciated because only god knows how much I want to make up for all the wrongs ive done

thanks

Walaikum al Salaam,

Allow me to suggest you a written cure advice for your case:

After diagnosis based on your username I would suggest calling upon God for help and ask for forgiveness. Isteghfar wa tawba. There is lots of information and examples of it from the Quran, Bible, Torah,etc, as well as the way of the Prophet(s), spiritual descendants as well as saints,  friends and holy persons who went through exactly this.

I suggest you start by calling upon Allah al Ali. Call upon al Aala (the Highest) for help and forgiveness and guidance. Then after that call upon al Rahman al Raheem al Ghafur al Tawwab and so on. He Will help you i guarantee in sha Allah. 

Thanks 

Wasalaam

PS: dua Kumayl does wonders 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • Forum Administrators
Posted (edited)
On 11/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, guest 2025 said:

I think you'll find this site to be very handy, and it looks like it's with Sistani. There's a special Khums section.

https://imam-us.org/charity-dues

That is the site that I recommend. There is also a section for paying your Zakat during the Holy Month of Ramadan. 

(I don't follow Ayatullah Sistani, may Allah prolong his life, but it is hard to pay Islamic money to Ayatullah Khamenei HA due to sanctions against Iran in the US.)

Edited by Hameedeh
(PS)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...