Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Praying at work

Rate this topic

Guest Wasteman

Salam,

Before I got let go in my previous workplaces I managed to build hostility with some Muslim colleagues over the time I took to pray. Now the thing is my lunch break was one hour but I took 2 prayer breaks. I worked in a busyish warehouse and this kind of build hostility that I was taking to many breaks whereas everyone just got one I was taking two to pray. My non Muslim colleagues didn’t mind as much but I suppose they were being respectful. Because of the nature of skillsets I have I will never find a relaxing job which means in most jobs I have been rejecting due to the lack of time I will have to pray. I haven’t told my father this and told him that I haven’t been getting any jobs offers whereas in reality I’ve been rejecting jobs because I don’t think I will find adequate time to pray. Now that. I think about I’m conflicted, either I work and don’t pray or I don’t pray and work and then pray at home, should I continue sitting on my bed all day and praying at home? I don’t have any other thing in my life

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Guest Wasteman said:

Now the thing is my lunch break was one hour but I took 2 prayer breaks

Why did you need to take two breaks? Since you said lunch time so I am assuming it's zuhr asr prayer. These can easily be offered within 10-15 mins and one right after the other so according to me this should be easily manageable within the one hour lunch break.

Guest Wasteman
4 minutes ago, starlight said:

Why did you need to take two breaks? Since you said lunch time so I am assuming it's zuhr asr prayer. These can easily be offered within 10-15 mins and one right after the other so according to me this should be easily manageable within the one hour lunch break.

I have to pray Maghreb on time. If I get a job it’s 12 hrs shifts

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Guest Wasteman said:

Oh!

Even then maghrib time is until midnight according to Ayatullah Sistani. You can pray it once you are back home. It's not ideal to delay Salat but earning rizq carries its own rewards. Try this for sometime. Maybe the coworkers at your new place won't be as problematic.  

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest Wasteman said:

Salam,

Before I got let go in my previous workplaces I managed to build hostility with some Muslim colleagues over the time I took to pray. Now the thing is my lunch break was one hour but I took 2 prayer breaks. I worked in a busyish warehouse and this kind of build hostility that I was taking to many breaks whereas everyone just got one I was taking two to pray. My non Muslim colleagues didn’t mind as much but I suppose they were being respectful. Because of the nature of skillsets I have I will never find a relaxing job which means in most jobs I have been rejecting due to the lack of time I will have to pray. I haven’t told my father this and told him that I haven’t been getting any jobs offers whereas in reality I’ve been rejecting jobs because I don’t think I will find adequate time to pray. Now that. I think about I’m conflicted, either I work and don’t pray or I don’t pray and work and then pray at home, should I continue sitting on my bed all day and praying at home? I don’t have any other thing in my life

Salaam brother, 

Don't make prayer a burden on you. 

Allah has defined Ibadah as the purpose for human being and not specifically prayers. 

Ibadah means servitude. You have to serve Allah and that's it. If Allah says to stay silent, stay silent. Allah is our master and we need to obey him. 

Prayers are not everything. Only doing prayers will actually spoil. You need to take care of yourself, earn and learn new things in life. It is also ibadah to struggle for a prosperous life.  To be honest, Prosperity is a blessing of Allah and by rejecting those jobs you are rejecting the blessings of Allah. Brother, pray wajibaat  only if you have to do your job also. Say bismillah while starting your work. If needed, do wudhu before working. Include the remembrance of Allah in every task that you perform, this is Ibadah. Instead what you are doing is making prayer (remembrance of Allah) itself a burden on yourself, quiting on life (blessing of Allah) and loosing out. 

Kharijites who fought Imam Ali (عليه السلام) in nehrwaan were also quite good at praying and fasting but still they deviated.

My words might be strong brother but don't feel offended at all. I don't want to make you feel bad. 

But please get back to life. 

In religious tasks, Do only Wajibaat. Rest depends upon how much time you have and what situation you are in. 

Other than Wajibaat, have priorities in your life. 

Job is important for your living, take it. 

Talking to people necessary, do it. 

Doing some activities apart from work, keeps you motivated. Do it. 

Then if you get time for duas and extra recommended prayers, no problem. 

May Allah bless you and help you.

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Guest Wasteman said:

If job constraints don't allow you to pray on time at any cost then pray a bit late. Allah knows brother. Job is also a blessing from Allah only

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, starlight said:

Oh!

Even then maghrib time is until midnight according to Ayatullah Sistani. You can pray it once you are back home. It's not ideal to delay Salat but earning rizq carries its own rewards. Try this for sometime. Maybe the coworkers at your new place won't be as problematic.  

OP, just be sure to properly calculate midnight. It's not necessarily 12 am; for example it's 10:17 pm nowadays where I live.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest Wasteman said:

Salam,

In my case this year. 

I used to do a 9 hrs job and adding the travel time it became 13 hrs everyday. 

At the maghrib time, I had meetings. At the zuhr time too, sometimes my work clashed. I also had my late father at home paralyzed and I had to take care of him too and had to tackle all his health issues.

If I would have thought like you I would be screwed by now. 

To conclude, their are many people in the world struggling day/night to find a job. They have reached the worst scenarios. 

Thank Allah. Allah is providing you with job opportunities. Accept one and move ahead in life.

Learn and earn. Isn't gaining knowledge Ibadah? 

Try to focus on this. Islam is not prayers, Islam is life.

• Advanced Member

People complimented the faith of a man in front of the prophet. Prophet asked:" What's his job?" They said:" His relatives help him. He doesn't work". Prophet said:" He's not eye catching to me anymore".
Having a job is very important to a man. Continue to work and do your pray as well. Praying only takes 15-20 mins. You don't need to make it lengthy. If you wanna do Mustahab prays, do them at home once you get back home. 

Guest Wasteman

I do t do mustahab prayers. I make my prayers as short as I can and this was the issue I faced. I rather not work then give up wajib. 

but of course it seems like I can’t go down that route as I can’t provide for me family.

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

I work 12 hr shifts as well, with 1 hr breaks. So I have some experience. To note it's in a very busy environment, and I usually do not get any downtown until either my break (which gets interrupted 90% of the time due to work), or when I finish. So I have some experience as I work in a time sensitive setting, and I always complete my prayers without an issue. Work not effected, and my colleagues do not mind. 

Anyways, I've come to realize although prayer is highly important, Allah/the prophet also stressed upon work (career, or some sort of earnings). This is way Islam, and prayer are not a burden on the believers. Usually prayers (depending on where you live), have a 3-5 hour time-frame in which they can be prayed in. If you cannot pray on time due to work, then Allah is the most understanding, and has given you ample time to complete the salah. 

Also, I have taken out the mustahab portions of the prayer, and included ONLY the wajib parts. This means in total it takes me under 10 minutes to pray my combined salahs. I usually add in dua's, tasbih, and astghfir which adds a couple of minutes. In total it should take me under 10 minutes, or depending on free time MAX 15 minutes. Allah does not look at the length of salah, but the sincerity, quality, and focus. 

You do not have to do the mustahab prayers if you cannot. They are better to do, but if you cannot fit it into work then there is no harm on you. You can do these prayers when off work, squeeze in some when you get home. 

At the end of the day, you should talk to your employer, and not care about what others think. Plus, depending on where you live, you should have some workers rights legislation that enables you to fulfill your religious obligations while at work. Look into this. 

For example I think it's unreasonable to take an 1 hr break, and then breaks throughout the day to complete the mustahab, and a couple of wajib ones. This is because first your employer is paying you to complete a job, and second your team needs you to fulfill the tasks. You have responsibilities there. 

Maybe try to arrange your breaks so you can pray Dhur/Asr ( this can be a 30 min break), and then have another 30 minute break at magrib/Asr. This way you are honouring your 1hr break but just splitting it up at times that work for you. OR you can have your 1 hr break, and ask your employer if you can be excused at magrib time for 15 min to quickly pray (unpaid break). I think talking to your employer and being reasonable with the times should benefit you. Drop the mustahabs, as they are interfering with your work. 

Edited by YoungSkiekh313
  • Advanced Member

Reading this I am overwhelmed at how complicated doing salat is.

As a Follower of Jesus we are encouraged in the Injil to

• Pray in the Spirit at all times, with every kind of prayer and petition. To this end, stay alert with all perseverance in your prayers for all the saints. (Ephesians 6:18)
  • Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (Philippians 4:6)

I keep something by me or tied round my wrist so am reminded to pray for people and situations.  I talk with God about the people I meet and the places I pass.  During work time there are many opportunities to ask God to bless someone or to give wisdom and hope in a situation.

Yes I have extended times with God during my day - when I get up and before I go to bed and sometimes at lunchtime.  Is God more concerned that we have communication with him during our daily routine than in a particular act at a particular time?

Maybe it boils down to what is prayer and what is it for?