Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

My Experience with Offering Salah in the 'Prime Time'

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Following rules helps one develop conscious attention / mindfulness.  (This is the purpose of the sacred law).

following the rule of “praying on time” helps bring conscious attention to time.

whatever anyone brings their conscious attention to is seen for what it is.  

In your case, because you have brought conscious attention to the passage of time you noticed that time expands and that you tend to do things (like tasks at work) on time that you otherwise wouldn’t have done.  But ask yourself “why does this happen?”  The answer is simple: That which you are conscious of, you are not.  So, instead of being absorbed by it, you begin to be in control of it.  As the Arabic proverb says:  time is like a sword, if you don’t cut it, it will cut you!  

When we fast, we bring conscious attention to our desires and cravings.  As a consequence we become less absorbed by them and more in control of it.  In other words, we identify less with them.  The reason for this is because whatever you are conscious of, you are NOT.  

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

There is also something else I've noticed.....it's barakah.

Yes, barakah is the word.  Besides “blessings or grace”, the root meaning of The word “barakah” also means something that is in abundance.  Which is exactly what you described as an expansion of time.  

Now barakah is from heaven.  But there is something in us that is already in heaven (namely our ruh).  So the source of our barakah is in actualizing the ruh within us.  And the ruh is precisely our consciousness.  So whatever you bring your conscious attention towards, that is where the barakah will be!  Our ruh is expansive, like the open air.  But our nafs (attachment to our desires) is in contraction and tied up like a knot.  Conscious attention unties the knot.  

so it is not time that expands, it is the infusion of the heavenly spirit (ruh) that gives you a sense of expansion.

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member

It is interesting reading all these positive comments about doing prayers on time and the results of productivity etc.  I want to ask another question.  Is 'offering' prayer something we do for our benefit, our berakah?  I wonder if prayer is about developing our relationship with God, getting to know him better.

As a follower of Jesus the Messiah, I see prayer as opening up myself to God, consciously allowing him to engage with me.  It is a time when I rejoice that the shameful deeds that I have done have been cleansed through the work of Jesus the Messiah and I can now rest in God's presence as a Child in his loving arms and learn of him.  Yes, as that happens, things change in my life, but ultimately prayer is meeting God and any benefits or blessings are not important compared with knowing him.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

It is interesting reading all these positive comments about doing prayers on time and the results of productivity etc.  I want to ask another question.  Is 'offering' prayer something we do for our benefit, our berakah?  I wonder if prayer is about developing our relationship with God, getting to know him better.

As a follower of Jesus the Messiah, I see prayer as opening up myself to God, consciously allowing him to engage with me.  It is a time when I rejoice that the shameful deeds that I have done have been cleansed through the work of Jesus the Messiah and I can now rest in God's presence as a Child in his loving arms and learn of him.  Yes, as that happens, things change in my life, but ultimately prayer is meeting God and any benefits or blessings are not important compared with knowing him.

No one may know the true complete purpose for specific prayer rituals in Abrahamic religions. Why does God demand to be worshiped in a specific way or form? Why 2-3-4 raka'h prayers? Why Holy Communion in its specific way, only on Sundays? Why not on any other arbitrary days?

The followers know, theoretically, that they are standing and addressing God in the most direct way possible. They also know that there are spiritual reasons for what they are doing. We are humans though, and each one of us is at a different pace in our individual spiritual journeys. Some of us may naturally wish to if there are any more apparent effects from our prayers?

I may not know why the specific raka'h, why the prescribed times, why the specific Quranic Surah's, and the specific invocations have to be recited in a particular order in our prayers. I have discovered though, through my limited intellect, of certain apparent benefits of prayers.

One that I've personally discovered is that it prevents me from falling into a depressive spiral. Those who have suffered from clinical depression at one point in their life will know what I'm talking about; it feels like a spiral; like you are falling uncontrollably into a whirlpool of negative thoughts and there is no escape.

Another one is that those who sincerely pray regularly tend to avoid sins. They won't sin with impunity, because they know they have to stand in front of God again soon. This benefit, I'm sure, is apparent not just to Muslims, but to followers of other religions as well.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

To answer in short...  There isn’t a “trade” going on where we worship in return for this or that particular benefit.  The ONLY real or true benefit it has to us, if anything, is in the very “opening up” of ourselves to God.   All Muslims should be able to relate completely with what you are saying.  The sole objective of prayers is in getting to know more and more God’s loving presence that is much nearer to us than we can ever imagine.  

Dave the Follower, you are a man of God.   And I consider you to be my fellow Muslim brother even though you are a Christian.  A Muslim and a Christian can much closer than they think.  

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Is 'offering' prayer something we do for our benefit, our berakah?

Salaam,

Actually both

Rationally speaking: we pray for our own benefits.

Spiritually speaking: we pray in obedience of the command of Allah. 

Combining both: Whatever Allah has commanded us to do is for our own benefits and whatever Allah has prohibited us from doing is harmful for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members
On 11/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, 313_Waiter said:

Salamo aleykom brother one question 

First of all jazakAllah for this link. How did you paste the video in this link so that the whole videopicture is shown inside this post? I have tried posting links here but only the link-adress shows up and not the whole videoimage like here. 

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, Naqvi Sayyid said:

Salamo aleykom brother one question 

First of all jazakAllah for this link. How did you paste the video in this link so that the whole videopicture is shown inside this post? I have tried posting links here but only the link-adress shows up and not the whole videoimage like here. 

Walaikum salaam wrb,

It should automatically do that if the link is from YouTube.

6 hours ago, Naqvi Sayyid said:

How did you paste the video in this link so that the whole videopicture is shown inside this post? I have tried posting links here but only the link-adress shows up and not the whole videoimage like here. 

After you paste the youtube link, click on the Enter key. It might work. Otherwise maybe new members cannot do it, so you can wait until you are an Advanced member.

• Advanced Member
On 11/23/2020 at 10:31 AM, Sabrejet said:

We all know about the importance of offering prayer in its prime time, unless there is a genuine valid reason not to do so. We have the famous dying words of Imam Jafar Sadiq ((عليه السلام)):

"Our shafa'at doesn't reach those who neglect prayers"

The generally accepted view is that delaying prayers unnecessarily comes under the heading of 'neglecting prayers'.

I have been trying my best to offer my obligatory prayers in their prime time for the past couple of weeks. As soon as there are 5 mins left for the beginning of prayer, I rush to change into my prayer clothes (having a pet dog at home necessitates this), and perform ablution. When there is one minute left, I recite azaan and iqamat, and start praying. This has turned into a routine now.

I have observed something; it has started positively affecting my daily life as well. The same urgency that compels me to pray on time, now compels me to complete my daily tasks (assignments, projects, quizes, chores etc). Sort of like some unknown hand is compelling me to value time and be punctual. I'm not quite there yet; still, if I still delay my worldly tasks now, a sense of urgency and guilt takes me over. I almost need to work on time now, to avoid that guilt.

The urgency to offer fajr at it's prime time now compels me to go to bed by 11 pm max, otherwise I know that I would have difficulty getting up. Before, I used to be a typical night owl student who regularly missed his fajr and performed qaza later in the day (just thinking about it makes me cringe now).

I'd like to hear the experiences of others who regularly offer prayer at prime time.

Salam Brother 

I appreciate your thought of sharing your experience with us. 

Every time when I feel like praying later or sometimes when I get lazy my mind suddenly starts thinking about Karbala how Imam Hussain AS gave importance to his Namaz and didn't even care about his enemies. It's like a reminder that is fixed in my brain. 

Imam 'Ali ibn Abi Talib (peace be upon him) said, "Recite the Salat in its designated times; and do not recite it before it time just because you are free (don't have anything else to do) and do not delay it because you feel you are too busy; for you should know that all of your actions are connected to your Salat."

There is no doubt that Namaz has a major impact on our daily routine. Since I'm reading my prayers in Awwal e waqt I feel more relaxed and calm. As form my own experience I can only say that Namaz is the key to a successful life. So insha'Allah I pray to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that he gives Toufeeq to everyone to pray their Salat in prime time.

Ameen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Update:

For the last few days, I have been a bit lax in my prayer timings due to various reasons. Mainly because of insane load of school work, and odd online class timings.

I have also been doing something quite questionable: I used to recite Ziarat e Ashura immediately after prime time maghribain, along with recitation of the Quran with Urdu translation. I have stopped reciting the Quran; I recite Ziarat e Ashura quiet late in the night, and pray the associated 2 rakat nafal the next day, due to extreme fatigue. I also skipped fajr, and prayed it's qaza later.

Things have been going wrong in my life for a while now (won't go into much detail here). What I can tell, though, is that I have become impatient, ill tempered, hard hearted, and reckless. Actually, I believe I have reverted back to my original state; observing all these rituals had subtly improved my nature, and I only realised it when I had lost these benefits.

Suffice to say, I am now going back to praying on time now, now that I have seen the consequences.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Things have been going wrong in my life for a while now (won't go into much detail here). What I can tell, though, is that I have become impatient, ill tempered, hard hearted, and reckless.

You will experience this. Especially, when you follow that routine for sometime or a bit long and then leave.

It has actually explained you a difference and it was quite visible so that's the reason you posted this update.

When I skip my fajr, it frustrates me a lot. 

May Allah increase Taqwa in you.