Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Context of Hadith of Ghadeer e Khum was Complaints from Yemen?

Rate this topic

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I already provided authentic narration to Support narration of Zaid Bin Arqam. And those narrations from Ali (عليه السلام) were authentic according to Twelver shia Salafi website as well. So proving n

Brother Syed Ali, just a quick thought About Arabic Grammar. You don't know everything about it, and he (Nightclaw) doesn't know everything about it. You know some things, he knows some things, I

Context of Ghadeer e Khum in Kitab Al Irshad: (Meanwhile) the Commander of the Faithful, peace be on him, set out with the soldiers who had accompanied him to Yemen. He had with him the breas

Posted Images

• Advanced Member

You said it was not in any of the references I mentioned? My reference from one of your books was:  Kitab al-Irshad by al-Mufid, pages 116-121 (though 116-122 is correct):

"....On the day of al-Ghadir, he summoned them and made them answer at Khumm. He said: “Who is your master (mawla) and friend (walī)?” They answered without showing any signs of opposition: “Allāh is our master (mawla) and you are our friend (walī). You will never find any disobedience from us to you.” He said to him: “Arise, ‘Ali, I am content that you should be Imam and guide after me Whomsoever I am master (mawla) of, this man is his friend (walī). Therefore be faithful helpers and followers of him.” There he prayed: 'O Allāh, befriend his friend and be hostile to whoever opposes ‘Ali.'"

According to al-Mufid, this was during Ghadir Khumm. That is why I said to check the references.

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

You said it was not in any of the references I mentioned? My reference from one of your books was:  Kitab al-Irshad by al-Mufid, pages 116-121 (though 116-122 is correct):

"....On the day of al-Ghadir, he summoned them and made them answer at Khumm. He said: “Who is your master (mawla) and friend (walī)?” They answered without showing any signs of opposition: “Allāh is our master (mawla) and you are our friend (walī). You will never find any disobedience from us to you.” He said to him: “Arise, ‘Ali, I am content that you should be Imam and guide after me Whomsoever I am master (mawla) of, this man is his friend (walī). Therefore be faithful helpers and followers of him.” There he prayed: 'O Allāh, befriend his friend and be hostile to whoever opposes ‘Ali.'"

According to al-Mufid, this was during Ghadir Khumm. That is why I said to check the references.

First of all, before going into details of event in Kitab Al Irshad.

I have complete right to demand chain of narration mentioned by Al-Mufeed in his book Al-Irshad for this event. And I hope you will not dis-appoint me since you seem to be into ilm-ur-rijal alot.

After this, inshaAllah i will mention the context of Ghadeer e khum's hadith according to Kitab Al-Irshad.

• Advanced Member

Context of Ghadeer e Khum in Kitab Al Irshad:

(Meanwhile) the Commander of the Faithful, peace be on him, set out
with the soldiers who had accompanied him to Yemen. He had with him the
breastplates which he had collected from the people of Najrān. When the Apostle
of Allāh, may Allāh bless Him and His Family, was nearing Mecca on the road
from Medina, the Commander of the Faithful, peace be on him, was nearing it on
the road from Yemen. He went ahead of the army to meet the Prophet, may Allāh
bless Him and His Family, and he left one of their number in charge of them. He
came up to the Prophet as the latter was looking down over Mecca. He greeted
him and informed him of what he had done and of what he had collected and that
he had hurried ahead of the army to meet him. The Apostle of Allāh, may Allāh
bless Him and His Family, was pleased at that and delighted to meet him.
“‘Alī, have you consecrated yourself for the pilgrimage?” he asked him.
“You did not write to me about the way you would consecrate yourself, Apostle
of Allāh,” he answered. “I did not know. Therefore I made my intention
according to your intention and said: O Allāh, let my intention be the intention of
Your Prophet. I have driven thirty-four sacrificial animals with me.”
“Allāh is greater (Allāhu akbar),” replied the Apostle of Allāh, may Allāh bless
Him and His Family. “I have driven sixty-six. You will be my partner in my
pilgrimage, my rituals and my sacrifice. Therefore remain in your state of ritual
consecration and return to your army. Then hurry with them to me so that we
may meet in Mecca
, if Allāh, the Exalted, wills.

The Commander of the Faithful, peace be on him, said farewell to him and
returned to his army. He met them nearby and found that they had put on the
breastplates which they had had with them. He denounced them for that.

“Shame on you!” he said to the man whom he had appointed as his deputy over
them. “Whatever made you give them the breastplates before we hand them over
to the Apostle of Allāh, may Allāh bless Him and His Family? I did not give you
permission to do that.”
“They asked me to let them deck themselves out and enter into the state of
consecration in them, and then they would give them back to me,” he replied.
The Commander of the Faithful, peace be on him, took them off the people
and put them back in the sacks.
They were discontented with him because of
that. When they came to Mecca, their complaints against the Commander of the
Faithful, peace be on him, became numerous
The Apostle of Allāh ordered the
call to be given among the people: “Stop your tongues (speaking) against ‘Alī b.
Abī Ṭālib, peace be on him. He is one who is harsh in the interests of Allāh, the
Mighty and High, not one who deceives in His religion.”

At this the people refrained from mentioning him and they realised the high
position he enjoyed with the Prophet, may Allāh bless Him and His Family, and
his anger against anyone who wanted to find fault with him

This show that issues of complaints against Ali (عليه السلام) was solved at Makkah. What does this have to do with Ghadeer e Khum. Now lets have a look at context of Ghadeer e khum in Kitab-Al-Irshad:

When the Apostle of Allāh carried out his rituals of the pilgrimage, he made
‘Alī his partner in his sacrifice of animals: Then he began his journey back to
Medina. (‘Alī) and the Muslims went with him
. He came to a place known
as Ghadīr Khumm. At that time, it was not a place suitable for a halt because
it lacked water and pasturage. However, he, peace be on him, stopped there
and the Muslims with him
. The reason for his halting at this place was that
a revelation had been received by him concerning the appointment of the
Commander of the Faithful, ‘Alī b. Abī Ṭālib, peace be on him, as successor
for the community after him
. The revelation concerning that had been received
earlier but without the designation of the time (for it to be made public). He
had delayed (making it public) until the presence of a time in which he would
be secure from any dispute among them concerning it. Allāh, the Mighty and
High, had informed him that if he went beyond Ghadīr Khumm, many of the
people would separate from his party (heading) for their towns, homes and
valleys. Allāh wanted him to gather them together to hear the designation of the
Commander of the Faithful, peace be on him, and to confirm the proofs of it to
them. Therefore Allāh, the Exalted, revealed: O Apostle, make known what has
been revealed to you from your Lord (V 67)
, that is concerning the succession of
‘Alī and the designation of the Imamate for him. If you do not do it, you will not
have made known His message. Allāh will protect you from the people (V 67)
Thus He confirms the duty he had concerning that and the fear that had caused
him delay and He guarantees to him protection and defence against the people.
The Apostle of Allāh, may Allāh bless Him and His Family, stopped at the place
we have mentioned because of what we have described and explained about
the command for him to do that. The Muslims stopped around him. It was a
scorching day of intense heat. He ordered (‘Alī), peace be on him, to go and
stand under a great tree that was there and he ordered the travellers to be gathered
in that place and to be put in (rows) one after another.
Then he ordered the crier to call out: “The prayer is general (al-ṣalat jāmi‘a
i.e. everybody should gather).” The travellers (all) gathered before him. Most
of them wrapped their cloaks (riḍā’) around their feet because of the scorching
hot ground. When they had gathered, he climbed above the travellers so that he
was high above them and he summoned the Commander of the Faithful, peace
be on him. He made him come up with him so that he stood on his right. He then
began to address the people. He praised and glorified Allāh, and preached most
eloquently. He gave the community news of his own death, saying: “I have been
summoned and it is nearly the moment for me to answer. The time has come 
for me to depart from you. I leave behind me among you two things which, if
you cleave to them, you will never go astray - that is the Book of Allāh and my
offspring from my family (ahl al-bayt). They will never scatter (from you) until
they lead you to me at the (sacred) waters (of Heaven).”

Then he called out at the top of his voice: “Am I not more appropriate (to rule)
you than yourselves?”
“By Allāh, yes!” they answered.
He went on speaking continuously without any interruption and taking both arms
of the Commander of the Faithful, peace be on him, and raising them so that the
white of his armpits could be seen, he said: “Whoever I am the master (mawlā)
of, this man, ‘Alī, is his master. O Allāh, befriend whoever befriends him, be
hostile to whoever opposes him, support whoever supports him and desert
whoever deserts him.”

From Makkah to Ghadeer e khum, there is no mention of any dispute Between Ali (عليه السلام) and other companions rather according to book Kitab Al-Irshad, context of Ghadeer e khum was revelation of verse 5:67 and rest can be read. Thus Sunnis can't quote this source to prove that context of Ghadeer e Khum was complaints from Yemen.

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

First of all, before going into details of event in Kitab Al Irshad.

I have complete right to demand chain of narration mentioned by Al-Mufeed in his book Al-Irshad for this event. And I hope you will not dis-appoint me since you seem to be into ilm-ur-rijal alot.

After this, inshaAllah i will mention the context of Ghadeer e khum's hadith according to Kitab Al-Irshad.

Is the chain of narration not there in Arabic? 

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

Is the chain of narration not there in Arabic? 

http://alfeker.net/library.php?id=3120

Al-Irshad in Arabic from Page 170.

Even if i accept Mursal as Saheeh, then still it doesn't prove that context of hadith of Ghadeer was complaints of Sahaba.

In Above comment, i have copied text from Al-Irshad Eng Translation.

It says Complaints were made at Makkah and were sorted out by Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) before they left Makkah.

After that when they left for Madinah, there is no mention of complaints. Rather book says Quran 5:67 was the reason of delivery of sermon of Ghadeer.

Edited by Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi
  • Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

From Makkah to Ghadeer e khum, there is no mention of any dispute Between Ali (عليه السلام) and other companions rather according to book Kitab Al-Irshad, context of Ghadeer e khum was revelation of verse 5:67 and rest can be read. Thus Sunnis can't quote this source to prove that context of Ghadeer e Khum was complaints from Yemen.

There was clear enmity from the soldiers until the declaration. They were still discontent with what 'Ali had done, according to other historians.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Nightclaw said:

There was clear enmity from the soldiers until the declaration. They were still discontent with what 'Ali had done, according to other historians.

At least no according to Kitab Al-Irshad. You can move to other sources to prove it. If its not in Shia sources then move to Sunni sources.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

At least no according to Kitab Al-Irshad. You can move to other sources to prove it. If its not in Shia sources then move to Sunni sources.

Something is missing here by a landslide. 

• Advanced Member

You are correct. There are no chains nor a hadith reference. Therefore, is this reliable?

I think what Sheikh Mufeed wrote should be matched with Book of Hadiths. This isn't a book of Hadith anyways.

Even if its true, it doesn't prove that Sermon of Ghadeer e Khum was delivered due to complaints of Sahaba rather it says complaints were sorted at Mecca and Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) delivered Sermon of Ghadeer due to revelation of 5:67.

If you can find an authentic chain for companions complaining against Ali ibn Abi Talib before Ghadeer e khum, then do list it here along with matn.

As context of Ghadeer mentioned by Mufeed in Al-Irshad, it is backed up by authentic traditions:

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن عمر بن أذينة، عن زرارة والفضيل بن يسار، وبكير بن أعين ومحمد بن مسلم وبريد بن معاوية جميعا عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام
Imam Muhammad Baqir (عليه السلام) said in a long hadith in Al-kafi, that verse 5:67 of Quran
يا أيها الرسول بلغ ما أنزل إليك من ربك وإن لم تفعل فما بلغت رسالته والله يعصمك من الناس
" O Messenger, announce that which has been revealed to you from your Lord, and if you do not, then you have not conveyed His message. And Allah will protect you from the people. "
was revealed at Ghadeer e Khum regarding Wilayah of Ameer-Al-Momineen Ali Ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام) and when Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) delievered the message and made announcement, then Allah revealed verse 5:3 of Quran
اليوم أكملت لكم دينكم وأتممت عليكم نعمتي
" This day, I have perfected for you your religion and completed my favour upon you. "
Ref: Al-Kafi Volume-1 Page 290
Chapter: ما نص الله عز وجل ورسوله على الأئمة عليهم السلام واحدا فواحدا
Hadith:4
Baqir Majlisi said: Hasan
Mirat-Ul-Uqool volume 3 page 250

Image may contain: text

I think we should move to other sources now.

• Advanced Member

Other sources go against what you have said.

Quote them. I mean you should mention other sources that authentically establish context of Ghadeer e Khum was complaints of Yemen. Let it be sunni sources.

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Quote them. I mean you should mention other sources that authentically establish context of Ghadeer e Khum was complaints of Yemen. Let it be sunni sources.

I mention them in my original post.

• Advanced Member
13 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

I mention them in my original post.

Narrated by Burraida: The Prophet sent Ali to Khalid to bring the Khums [of the war spoils] and I hated Ali, and Ali had taken a bath. I said to Khalid, Don’t you see this (i.e. 'Ali)?” When we reached the Prophet, I mentioned that to him. He (the Prophet) said, “O Buraida! Do you hate 'Ali? I said, “Yes. He said, “Do you hate him, for he deserves more than that from the Khumlus.1
Sahih Bukhari by Muhammad bin Ismail al-Bukhari: Volume 5, Book 59 - hadith 637.

Buraida narrated: I invaded Yemen with Ali and I saw coldness from his part; so when I came (back) to the Messenger of Allah and mentioned Ali and criticized him, I saw the face of the Messenger of Allah change and he said: ‘O Buraida, am I not closer to the believers than they are to themselves?’ I said: ‘Yes, O Messenger of Allah.’ He  said: ‘Whosoever’s Mawla I am, this Ali is also his Mawla.
Musnad Ahmad by Ahmad bin Hanbal: volume 5, page 347, Sunan al-Kubra by al-Nisa'i - volume 5, page 45, al-Mustadrak by al-Hakim: volume 3, page 119, and a list of books of narration.

Narrated by Burraida: The Prophet sent me to Yemen with 'Ali and I saw coldness from his part; when I returned and complained about him to the Messenger of Allah, he raised his head towards ['Ali] and said: ‘O Buraida! Whomsoever’s Mawla I am, this 'Ali is also his Mawla.’
Sunan al-Kubra by al-Nisa'i: volume 5, page 130, Musannaf of Abi Shayba: volume 6, page 374.

That's all you wrote in your original thread.

All hadiths are conversation between two persons:

1. Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)

2. Buraida

This is not a sermon.

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Narrated by Burraida: The Prophet sent Ali to Khalid to bring the Khums [of the war spoils] and I hated Ali, and Ali had taken a bath. I said to Khalid, Don’t you see this (i.e. 'Ali)?” When we reached the Prophet, I mentioned that to him. He (the Prophet) said, “O Buraida! Do you hate 'Ali? I said, “Yes. He said, “Do you hate him, for he deserves more than that from the Khumlus.1
Sahih Bukhari by Muhammad bin Ismail al-Bukhari: Volume 5, Book 59 - hadith 637.

Buraida narrated: I invaded Yemen with Ali and I saw coldness from his part; so when I came (back) to the Messenger of Allah and mentioned Ali and criticized him, I saw the face of the Messenger of Allah change and he said: ‘O Buraida, am I not closer to the believers than they are to themselves?’ I said: ‘Yes, O Messenger of Allah.’ He  said: ‘Whosoever’s Mawla I am, this Ali is also his Mawla.
Musnad Ahmad by Ahmad bin Hanbal: volume 5, page 347, Sunan al-Kubra by al-Nisa'i - volume 5, page 45, al-Mustadrak by al-Hakim: volume 3, page 119, and a list of books of narration.

Narrated by Burraida: The Prophet sent me to Yemen with 'Ali and I saw coldness from his part; when I returned and complained about him to the Messenger of Allah, he raised his head towards ['Ali] and said: ‘O Buraida! Whomsoever’s Mawla I am, this 'Ali is also his Mawla.’
Sunan al-Kubra by al-Nisa'i: volume 5, page 130, Musannaf of Abi Shayba: volume 6, page 374.

That's all you wrote in your original thread.

All hadiths are conversation between two persons:

1. Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)

2. Buraida

This is not a sermon.

Go to my first post and check the references at the bottom. The very first one. We do not call it a sermon, but the hadith of Ghadir Khumm (as it has become widely known as this). Even in my posts, I mention that the long sermon is not present, so it would be contradictory for me to advocate for it.

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

Go to my first post and check the references at the bottom. The very first one. We do not call it a sermon, but the hadith of Ghadir Khumm (as it has become widely known as this). Even in my posts, I mention that the long sermon is not present, so it would be contradictory for me to advocate for it.

You know you asked me to make a post to discuss context of Ghadeer e Khum.

Sermon or not, words of Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) are hadith.

I am saying, Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) didn't address Buraida specifically at ghadeer e khum, rather he addressed a bunch of Sahaba.

While hadith you are quoting, is specific address to Buraida thus it cannot be hadith of Ghadeer e Khum.

If you intend to discuss, then tell me because i feel like you don't want to discuss it anymore.

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

You know you asked me to make a post to discuss context of Ghadeer e Khum.

Sermon or not, words of Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) are hadith.

I am saying, Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) didn't address Buraida specifically at ghadeer e khum, rather he addressed a bunch of Sahaba.

While hadith you are quoting, is specific address to Buraida thus it cannot be hadith of Ghadeer e Khum.

If you intend to discuss, then tell me because i feel like you don't want to discuss it anymore.

1. Tarikh ul-umam by al-Tabari: volume 3, page 152, Al-Sira by al-Halabi: volume 3, page 360, Kitab al-Irshad by al-Mufid, pages 116-121, al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah by Ibn Kathir, Sirah Rasullullah by Ibn Ishaq: page 650.
Those were the references that mention it.

It is not that I do not want to discuss, but I am always doing a lot of things at once, so my responses will seem like that from time to time, depending on what I am doing.

• Veteran Member
15 hours ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

As context of Ghadeer mentioned by Mufeed in Al-Irshad, it is backed up by authentic traditions:

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن عمر بن أذينة، عن زرارة والفضيل بن يسار، وبكير بن أعين ومحمد بن مسلم وبريد بن معاوية جميعا عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام
Imam Muhammad Baqir (عليه السلام) said in a long hadith in Al-kafi, that verse 5:67 of Quran
يا أيها الرسول بلغ ما أنزل إليك من ربك وإن لم تفعل فما بلغت رسالته والله يعصمك من الناس
" O Messenger, announce that which has been revealed to you from your Lord, and if you do not, then you have not conveyed His message. And Allah will protect you from the people. "
was revealed at Ghadeer e Khum regarding Wilayah of Ameer-Al-Momineen Ali Ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام) and when Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) delievered the message and made announcement, then Allah revealed verse 5:3 of Quran
اليوم أكملت لكم دينكم وأتممت عليكم نعمتي
" This day, I have perfected for you your religion and completed my favour upon you. "
Ref: Al-Kafi Volume-1 Page 290
Chapter: ما نص الله عز وجل ورسوله على الأئمة عليهم السلام واحدا فواحدا
Hadith:4
Baqir Majlisi said: Hasan
Mirat-Ul-Uqool volume 3 page 250

The Shia hadith from Al Kafi graded as Hasan provides certain evidence of hadith of Ghadeer khum instead of false claims based on historical sources that it was mentioned with complaints at Yemen etc. 

The sunni hadiths also clearly reject such speculations:

It was narrated from `Ali (رضي الله عنه) that The Prophet (ﷺ) said on the day of Ghadeer Khumm:

`If I am a person`s mawla (friend and supporter) then `Ali is also his mawla.” And the people added after that: `So take as friends those who take him as a friend and take as enemies those who take him as an enemy.”

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْد اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنِي حَجَّاحُ بْنُ الشَّاعِرِ، حَدَّثَنَا شَبَابَةُ، حَدَّثَنِي نُعَيْمُ بْنُ حَكِيمٍ، حَدَّثَنِي أَبُو مَرْيَمَ، وَرَجُلٌ، مِنْ جُلَسَاءِ عَلِيٍّ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ عَنْ عَلِيٍّ أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ يَوْمَ غَدِيرِ خُمٍّ مَنْ كُنْتُ مَوْلَاهُ فَعَلِيٌّ مَوْلَاهُ قَالَ فَزَادَ النَّاسُ بَعْدُ وَالِ مَنْ وَالَاهُ وَعَادِ مَنْ عَادَاهُ‏.‏

Grade: Sahih Reference : Musnad Ahmad 1311, book reference : Book 5, Hadith 713

It was narrated that Sa`eed bin Wahb. and Zaid bin Yuthai’ said:

‘Ali adjured the people at ar-Rahbah, saying: Whoever heard the messenger of Allah (ﷺ) speak on the day of Ghadeer Khumm, let him stand up. And (of the people) around Sa’eed, six men stood up, and (of the people) around Zaid, six men stood up, and they testified that they had heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say to ‘Ali (رضي الله عنه) on the day of Ghadeer Khumm. “Isn`t it Allah Who is closer to the believers?” They said: Yes. He said: `O Allah, if I am a person`s mawla (friend and supporter) then ‘Ali is also his mawla; O Allah, take as friends those who take him as a friend, and take as enemies those who take him as an enemy.” A hadeeth like that of Abu Ishaq was narrated from `Amr Dhi Murr, i.e., from Sa`eed and Zaid, and he added to it: `and support those who support him, and forsake those who forsake him.` A similar report was narrated from Abut-Tufail from Zaid bin Arqam from the Prophet (ﷺ).

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْد اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ حَكِيمٍ الْأَوْدِيُّ، أَنْبَأَنَا شَرِيكٌ، عَنْ أَبِي إِسْحَاقَ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ وَهْبٍ، وَعَنْ زَيْدِ بْنِ يُثَيْعٍ، قَالَا نَشَدَ عَلِيٌّ النَّاسَ فِي الرَّحَبَةِ مَنْ سَمِعَ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَقُولُ يَوْمَ غَدِيرِ خُمٍّ إِلَّا قَامَ قَالَ فَقَامَ مِنْ قِبَلِ سَعِيدٍ سِتَّةٌ وَمِنْ قِبَلِ زَيْدٍ سِتَّةٌ فَشَهِدُوا أَنَّهُمْ سَمِعُوا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَقُولُ لِعَلِيٍّ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ يَوْمَ غَدِيرِ خُمٍّ أَلَيْسَ اللَّهُ أَوْلَى بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ قَالُوا بَلَى قَالَ اللَّهُمَّ مَنْ كُنْتُ مَوْلَاهُ فَعَلِيٌّ مَوْلَاهُ اللَّهُمَّ وَالِ مَنْ وَالَاهُ وَعَادِ مَنْ عَادَاهُ.
حَدَّثَنَا عَبْد اللَّهِ حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ حَكِيمٍ أَنْبَأَنَا شَرِيكٌ عَنْ أَبِي إِسْحَاقَ عَنْ عَمْرٍو ذِي مُرٍّ بِمِثْلِ حَدِيثِ أَبِي إِسْحَاقَ يَعْنِي عَنْ سَعِيدٍ وَزَيْدٍ وَزَادَ فِيهِ وَانْصُرْ مَنْ نَصَرَهُ وَاخْذُلْ مَنْ خَذَلَهُ.
حَدَّثَنَا عَبْد اللَّهِ حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيٌّ أَنْبَأَنَا شَرِيكٌ عَنِ الْأَعْمَشِ عَنْ حَبِيبِ بْنِ أَبِي ثَابِتٍ عَنْ أَبِي الطُّفَيْلِ عَنْ زَيْدِ بْنِ أَرْقَمَ عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ مِثْلَهُ‏.‏

Grade: Sahih,  Reference : Musnad Ahmad 950, 951, 952 book reference : Book 5, Hadith 377

Narrated Abu Sarihah, or Zaid bin Arqam - Shu'bah had doubt: from the Prophet (ﷺ): "For whomever I am his Mawla then 'Ali is his Mawla."

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ بَشَّارٍ، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنْ سَلَمَةَ بْنِ كُهَيْلٍ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبَا الطُّفَيْلِ، يُحَدِّثُ عَنْ أَبِي سَرِيْحَةَ، أَوْ زَيْدِ بْنِ أَرْقَمَ شَكَّ شُعْبَةُ - عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ مَنْ كُنْتُ مَوْلاَهُ فَعَلِيٌّ مَوْلاَهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو عِيسَى هَذَا حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ صَحِيحٌ غَرِيبٌ ‏.‏ وَقَدْ رَوَى شُعْبَةُ هَذَا الْحَدِيثَ عَنْ مَيْمُونٍ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ عَنْ زَيْدِ بْنِ أَرْقَمَ عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏.‏ وَأَبُو سَرِيحَةَ هُوَ حُذَيْفَةُ بْنُ أَسِيدٍ الْغِفَارِيُّ صَاحِبُ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏.‏

Grade: Sahih English reference : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3713  Arabic reference : Book 49, Hadith 4078

,,,,,,,,,others

wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Muslim2010 said:

The Shia hadith from Al Kafi graded as Hasan provides certain evidence of hadith of Ghadeer khum instead of false claims based on historical sources that it was mentioned at Yemen etc. 

Nobody is claiming it was at Yemen. That is where they returned from - both of our sources mention this.

• Veteran Member
13 hours ago, Nightclaw said:

Nobody is claiming it was at Yemen. That is where they returned from - both of our sources mention this.

The reference provided by yourself do not include the hadith books but historical references only like:

1. Tarikh ul-umam by al-Tabari: volume 3, page 152, Al-Sira by al-Halabi: volume 3, page 360,  pages 116-121, al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah by Ibn Kathir, Sirah Rasullullah by Ibn Ishaq: page 650.

Kitab al-Irshad by al-Mufid, For this It has already been clarified that it does not mention about such complaints.

Regards

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Muslim2010 said:

The reference provided by yourself do not include the hadith books but historical references only like:

1. Tarikh ul-umam by al-Tabari: volume 3, page 152, Al-Sira by al-Halabi: volume 3, page 360,  pages 116-121, al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah by Ibn Kathir, Sirah Rasullullah by Ibn Ishaq: page 650.

Kitab al-Irshad by al-Mufid, For this It has already been clarified that it does not mention about such complaints.

Regards

You do realize that historical books gather narrations, right? 

Second, it has been clarified. However, the campaign was in Yemen and that is where they returned from.

• Veteran Member

Second, it has been clarified. However, the campaign was in Yemen and that is where they returned from.

The sunni hadith that are considered authentic do not mention such speculations for complaints and yemen etc.

Would you deny it?

Regards.

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, Muslim2010 said:

The sunni hadith that are considered authentic do not mention such speculations.

Would you deny it?

It is a historical fact that happened. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) sent 'Ali to Yemen as a delegate. 

• Veteran Member

It is a historical fact that happened. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) sent 'Ali to Yemen as a delegate. 

I cannot pay any attention  to such speculations when even your own authentic hadith do not provide any such evidence for complaints and yemen etc as background of ghadeer. 

Historical recording may be used  gather details for some happening but if there is no such thing in authentic hadith no conjecture can be accepted.

The second source after verses of quran is hadith and nothing else to provide a foundation of my religious concepts. I hope we both agree.

wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Advanced Member

I was going to quote above two hadiths as Hadith e Ghadeer. Thanks for That.

1 hour ago, Nightclaw said:

1. Tarikh ul-umam by al-Tabari: volume 3, page 152, Al-Sira by al-Halabi: volume 3, page 360, Kitab al-Irshad by al-Mufid, pages 116-121, al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah by Ibn Kathir, Sirah Rasullullah by Ibn Ishaq: page 650.
Those were the references that mention it.

But It's time to look into these references except for Kitab Al-Irshad since it has already been answered.

Now lets have a Look at Al-Bidayah a Al-Nihayah:

After searching in English versions, i couldn't find mention of Ghadeer so i had to copy from arabic book. Since you know arabic so you can tell us better here:

image.thumb.png.84abeb005bd4f36ab5bbde76471bec8b.png

from Volume 7 page 666

I was listening to a Scholar translating it. There clearly is no mention of Source, Chain etc Its like someone's just claiming something and has no proof for it. Therefore it isn't Acceptable either.

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Muslim2010 said:

I cannot pay any attention  to such speculations when even your own authentic hadith do not provide any such evidence. 

Historical recording may be used  gather dteails for some happening but if there is no such thing in authentic hadith no conjecture can be accepted.

The second source after verses of quran is hadith and nothing else to provide a base my religious concepts. I hope we both agree.

wasalam

I think you need to realize that narrations and history coincide with one another. Another thing in response to this:

I cannot pay any attention  to such speculations when even your own authentic hadith do not provide any such evidence. 

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) sent us to Yemen along with Khalid bin Al-Walid. Later on he sent `Ali bin Abi Talib in his place. The Prophet (ﷺ) said to `Ali, "Give Khalid's companions the choice of either staying with you (in Yemen) or returning to Medina." I was one of those who stayed with him (i.e. `Ali) and got several Awaq (of gold from the war booty.
 Sahih al-Bukhari: volume 5, Book 59, Hadith 636

Jabir said, "The Prophet (ﷺ) ordered `Ali to keep the state of Ihram." Jabir added, "Ali bin Abi Talib returned (from Yemen) when he was a governor (of Yemen). The Prophet (ﷺ) said to him, 'With what intention have you assumed the state of Ihram?' `Ali said, "I have assumed Ihram with an intention as that of the Prophet." Then the Prophet (ﷺ) said (to him), 'Offer a Hadi and keep the state of Ihram in which you are now.' `Ali slaughtered a Hadi on his behalf."
Sahih al-Bukhari: volume 5, Book 59, Hadith 637

Careful when you say things are not there when they are most certainly prevalent. Now we can both conclude and agree that this event happened!

• Advanced Member
Just now, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

But It's time to look into these references except for Kitab Al-Irshad since it has already been answered.

After searching in English versions, i couldn't find mention of Ghadeer so i had to copy from arabic book. Since you know arabic so you can tell us better here:

from Volume 7 page 666

I was listening to a Scholar translating it. There clearly is no mention of Source, Chain etc Its like someone's just claiming something and has no proof for it. Therefore it isn't Acceptable either.

image.thumb.png.dcdd32f6d5893361b049e03e56c2c4f6.png

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

from Volume 7 page 666

Refer to what I mentioned to Muslim above. People were also upset with him and it is well documented*.

*See Tarikh ul-Islam, volume 1, page 241

• Veteran Member

Careful when you say things are not there when they are most certainly prevalent. Now we can both conclude and agree that this event happened!

It was narrated from `Ali (رضي الله عنه) that The Prophet (ﷺ) said on the day of Ghadeer Khumm:

`If I am a person`s mawla (friend and supporter) then `Ali is also his mawla.” And the people added after that: `So take as friends those who take him as a friend and take as enemies those who take him as an enemy.”

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْد اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنِي حَجَّاحُ بْنُ الشَّاعِرِ، حَدَّثَنَا شَبَابَةُ، حَدَّثَنِي نُعَيْمُ بْنُ حَكِيمٍ، حَدَّثَنِي أَبُو مَرْيَمَ، وَرَجُلٌ، مِنْ جُلَسَاءِ عَلِيٍّ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ عَنْ عَلِيٍّ أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ يَوْمَ غَدِيرِ خُمٍّ مَنْ كُنْتُ مَوْلَاهُ فَعَلِيٌّ مَوْلَاهُ قَالَ فَزَادَ النَّاسُ بَعْدُ وَالِ مَنْ وَالَاهُ وَعَادِ مَنْ عَادَاهُ‏.‏

No such background about complaints and yemen exists. wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

Refer to what I mentioned to Muslim above. People were also upset with him and it is well documented*.

I will Respond to those hadiths in detail later once I am done with your references of books of Seerah.

@Muslim2010 Take it easy. Bro. Lemme deal with him from here.

• Advanced Member
12 minutes ago, Muslim2010 said:

No such background about complaints and yemen exists. wasalam

I do not understand why you believe that Abu Bakr was the murderer of Fatima while it is clearly fabricated, but you want me to provide explicit evidence from only a narration that states 'Ali went to Yemen? You believe in a lengthy sermon with no narrators, but... want solidified, explicit evidence? 

That is a tu quoque fallacy and this entire discussion is meaningless. Everyone agreed it happened. The evidence in our books is there.

• Advanced Member
21 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) sent us to Yemen along with Khalid bin Al-Walid. Later on he sent `Ali bin Abi Talib in his place. The Prophet (ﷺ) said to `Ali, "Give Khalid's companions the choice of either staying with you (in Yemen) or returning to Medina." I was one of those who stayed with him (i.e. `Ali) and got several Awaq (of gold from the war booty.
 Sahih al-Bukhari: volume 5, Book 59, Hadith 636

Jabir said, "The Prophet (ﷺ) ordered `Ali to keep the state of Ihram." Jabir added, "Ali bin Abi Talib returned (from Yemen) when he was a governor (of Yemen). The Prophet (ﷺ) said to him, 'With what intention have you assumed the state of Ihram?' `Ali said, "I have assumed Ihram with an intention as that of the Prophet." Then the Prophet (ﷺ) said (to him), 'Offer a Hadi and keep the state of Ihram in which you are now.' `Ali slaughtered a Hadi on his behalf."
Sahih al-Bukhari: volume 5, Book 59, Hadith 637

its actually true that Ali (عليه السلام) was sent to Yemen not just once, but twice. If i remember correctly, in 9th A.H and 11 A.H as well.

2 hours ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

All these hadiths you quoted.

I am sorry but repeating for the last time that at Ghadeer e khum Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) rose to address bunch of Sahaba not one particular person! It proves that all these hadiths weren't said by Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) at Ghadeer e khum. 

Thus these aren't hadiths of Ghadeer. Rather Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) personally said that to Buraida when he complained about Ali ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام).

Non of these hadiths mention, that Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was returning from Makkah along with Sahaba and stopped at Ghadeer e Khum to address complaints of Sahaba. There is no proof for that. Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) addressing one particular individual in this hadith proves that it wasn't said at ghadeer.

Now since we see its mentioned in all hadiths, that Buraida says he complained when he came back to Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

Here is a Sahih Narration from Sihaah Sitta which shows where the Sahaba complained to prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) regarding Ali (عليه السلام) with respect to Yemen:

Narrated 'Imran bin Husain:
that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) dispatched an army and he put 'Ali bin Abi Talib in charge of it. He left on the expedition and he entered upon a female slave. So four of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) scolded him, and they made a pact saying: "[If] we meet the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) we will inform him of what 'Ali did." When the Muslims returned from the journey, they would begin with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) and give him Salam, then they would go to their homes. So when the expedition arrived, they gave Salam to the Prophet (ﷺ), and one of the four stood saying: "O Messenger of Allah! Do you see that 'Ali bin Abi Talib did such and such." The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) turned away from him. Then the second one stood and said as he said, and he turned away from him. Then the third stood before him, and said as he said, and he turned away from him. Then the fourth stood and said as they had said. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) faced him, and the anger was visible on his face, he said: "What do you want from 'Ali?! What do you want from 'Ali?! Indeed 'Ali is from me, and I am from him, and he is the ally of every believer after me."

حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، حَدَّثَنَا جَعْفَرُ بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ الضُّبَعِيُّ، عَنْ يَزِيدَ الرِّشْكِ، عَنْ مُطَرِّفِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، عَنْ عِمْرَانَ بْنِ حُصَيْنٍ، قَالَ بَعَثَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم جَيْشًا وَاسْتَعْمَلَ عَلَيْهِمْ عَلِيَّ بْنَ أَبِي طَالِبٍ فَمَضَى فِي السَّرِيَّةِ فَأَصَابَ جَارِيَةً فَأَنْكَرُوا عَلَيْهِ وَتَعَاقَدَ أَرْبَعَةٌ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالُوا إِذَا لَقِينَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم أَخْبَرْنَاهُ بِمَا صَنَعَ عَلِيٌّ وَكَانَ الْمُسْلِمُونَ إِذَا رَجَعُوا مِنَ السَّفَرِ بَدَءُوا بِرَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَسَلَّمُوا عَلَيْهِ ثُمَّ انْصَرَفُوا إِلَى رِحَالِهِمْ فَلَمَّا قَدِمَتِ السَّرِيَّةُ سَلَّمُوا عَلَى النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَامَ أَحَدُ الأَرْبَعَةِ فَقَالَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ أَلَمْ تَرَ إِلَى عَلِيِّ بْنِ أَبِي طَالِبٍ صَنَعَ كَذَا وَكَذَا ‏.‏ فَأَعْرَضَ عَنْهُ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ثُمَّ قَامَ الثَّانِي فَقَالَ مِثْلَ مَقَالَتِهِ فَأَعْرَضَ عَنْهُ ثُمَّ قَامَ إِلَيْهِ الثَّالِثُ فَقَالَ مِثْلَ مَقَالَتِهِ فَأَعْرَضَ عَنْهُ ثُمَّ قَامَ الرَّابِعُ فَقَالَ مِثْلَ مَا قَالُوا فَأَقْبَلَ إِلَيْهِ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَالْغَضَبُ يُعْرَفُ فِي وَجْهِهِ فَقَالَ ‏ "‏ مَا تُرِيدُونَ مِنْ عَلِيٍّ مَا تُرِيدُونَ مِنْ عَلِيٍّ مَا تُرِيدُونَ مِنْ عَلِيٍّ إِنَّ عَلِيًّا مِنِّي وَأَنَا مِنْهُ وَهُوَ وَلِيُّ كُلِّ مُؤْمِنٍ بَعْدِي ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو عِيسَى هَذَا حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ غَرِيبٌ لاَ نَعْرِفُهُ إِلاَّ مِنْ حَدِيثِ جَعْفَرِ بْنِ سُلَيْمَانَ ‏.‏
Grade Hasan (Darussalam)    
English reference  : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3712
Arabic reference  : Book 49, Hadith 4077

Hakim, Tirimdhi, Albani, Zubair Ali Zai etc all authenticated this Tradition.

1. Hadith did mentions companions complained about Ali (عليه السلام)

2. Hadith mentions the companions complained when they returned from journey.

3. Hadith says "When the Muslims returned from the journey, they would begin with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) and give him Salam, then they would go to their homes. So when the expedition arrived, they gave Salam to the Prophet (ﷺ), and one of the four stood saying: "O Messenger of Allah! Do you see that 'Ali bin Abi Talib did such and such."" 

Muslims would pay salam and go homes: clearly indicates that complaints were made when the Sahaba returned to Madinah because they never had homes at Ghadeer lol.

And as Imran Bin Hossein says, there were multiple companions who complained to Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) one by one and so did Buraida.

Therefore it is a sufficient proof that all the hadiths of Buraida you quoted weren't said at ghadeer. Rather in madinah