Jump to content
In the Name of God بسم الله

Want To Learn Farsi


Zainuu

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 11/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, Zainuu said:

Can someone provide me with good online sources?? To be clear, I am Indian and have a little knowledge of Urdu. That's it. 

If it's still helpful....my native language is Urdu but I'm not good init....but I'm attending this online farsi course.. it's really helpful for beginners

https://mou.ir/en/landingpage/persian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 12/31/2020 at 4:53 AM, Ain-Al Hayat said:

If it's still helpful....my native language is Urdu but I'm not good init....but I'm attending this online farsi course.. it's really helpful for beginners

https://mou.ir/en/landingpage/persian

Thanks sister! but this is a proper academic university course. I don't feel myself ready for it because of time constraints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
38 minutes ago, Zainuu said:

Thanks sister! but this is a proper academic university course. I don't feel myself ready for it because of time constraints.

Whenever you feel ready... take your time

But I thought to share this:)

There are different timings.. once you are registered ..you can select your timings...and the course starts when there are enough students

The best thing about this is after you have finished the course... you get a certificate which is internationally valid:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, Zainuu said:

Can someone provide me with good online sources?? To be clear, I am Indian and have a little knowledge of Urdu. That's it. 

Not sure if this would help but yeah i tried it myself and I'm in the same situation as urs and plus I'm indian too, high-five.

[Mod Note: Video below includes a woman without hijab.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1_nTp16Zpg

This channel provides fair enough basics.

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 1/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, Mahenoor._ said:

Not sure if this would help but yeah i tried it myself and I'm in the same situation as urs and plus I'm indian too, high-five.

[Mod Note: Video below includes a woman without hijab.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1_nTp16Zpg

This channel provides fair enough basics.

Salaam,

Will check it. Thankyou!!

On 1/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, Mahenoor._ said:

I'm indian too, high-five.

Ohh, first Indian I found an S.C. Alhumdulillah!

May Allah bless you and protect you. 

Off-Topic - Country is turning hell day-by-day.

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note in the quote.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Don't know any Farsi myself, but have been interested in learning it for a while. I would suggest to divide your studying to three things: reading, writing, and listening. Search and collect online or physical sources on vocabulary and grammar. And spend about an hour studying each thing every day preferably. When it comes to listening, you can easily watch Persian content (whatever you like) with subtitles, this will help you get the feel of the language, and pick up particular words as well and how they're properly pronounced. 

I did all this for about a year with French, and I still have a pretty decent grasp of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Am currently learning farsi myself and i just use this website alone

https://www.easypersian.com/

I do 1 session daily along with the practice drills and other stuff. Usually takes like 45 mins to an hour. Done it for 12 days now and it is a very helpful site i think you can benefit a lot from it.

(my family speak farsi but i grew up in the west and im not that good hence why im learning it :/)

After some time you should probably find some persian speakers and try speaking with them aswell though and let them correct your mistakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 2/16/2021 at 7:46 PM, Timur Al Hazara said:

After some time you should probably find some persian speakers and try speaking with them as well though and let them correct your mistakes.

I have been learning Farsi for three months now and the only issue is I have no one to communicate with in farsi so I have started watching Persian dramas and videos to get used to the accent and to correct my pronunciation... I'm glad that you have your family so you can practice with them:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Ain-Al Hayat said:

I have been learning Farsi for three months now and the only issue is I have no one to communicate with in farsi so I have started watching Persian dramas and videos to get used to the accent and to correct my pronunciation... I'm glad that you have your family so you can practice with them:)

 

Yeah but im afghan so they bully me because im learning to speak with iranian accent :grin:

 

My afghan friend told me that iranians speak like they rap so if i learn that i will have ease understanding afghans. He also told me about a persian poetry app named meikade but i think you gotta be a little more advanced in the language before you can start reading poetry and understand it. Consuming content of the language is also very good and it is exactly how i learned to speak english fluently. Talking to english speakers (in xbox live), watching english youtube videos, etc. I didn't even try to learn english i just absorbed the language effortlessly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
7 hours ago, Ain-Al Hayat said:

I have been learning Farsi for three months now and the only issue is I have no one to communicate with in farsi so I have started watching Persian dramas and videos to get used to the accent and to correct my pronunciation... I'm glad that you have your family so you can practice with them:)

Maybe you can do a sort of 'language exchange' with someone from Iran (you speak with them for English for half an hour, they speak to you in farsi for the next half hour), via skype. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
18 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Maybe you can do a sort of 'language exchange' with someone from Iran (you speak with them for English for half an hour, they speak to you in farsi for the next half hour), via skype. 

On the website called discord (a kind of social media) there is many language learning groups including farsi and u can join them and talk to persian speakers over text or with voice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Timur Al Hazara said:

iranians speak like they rap

Haha so true...my teacher speaks so fast I always tell him to explain slowly "lotfan, aram sohbat konid" ... that's the only line which I love lol 

3 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

sort of 'language exchange' with someone from Iran

Interesting... but I don't know anyone from Iran or any Iranian people around me. My classmates are Pakistani, Indian, Bahraini, Lebanese...and they are beginners as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Veteran Member

Question from a video documentar

Phontically: darr-oh-nee (if l have this 'correct') for 'life inside';

So, what is darr-oh-___ for 'outside life'.

Fill in please and do l need further explanation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

darr-oh-nee (if l have this 'correct') for 'life inside';

So, what is darr-oh-___ for 'outside life'.

(daroon)درون means "inside(of)"

inside of life = daroon e zindagi or "dar daakhl e zindagi"

Life inside of= zindagi dar daakhl (زندگی در داخل) or " zindagi e daroon" 

So it depends on the sentences structure

"outside of" = (beeroon az) بیرون از / (kharj az) خارج از

Beeroon/kharj az zindagi = out/ outside of Life

Or you can simply say "beeroon e zindagi"... I think without using prepositions (az, dar)

I'm beginner so I don't know if that's 100% correct, that's only according to my knowledge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

@Ain-Al Hayat &  @Ashvazdanghe

Shukran. You can tell from my phonetics that my hearing is deficient. l got this question from the 2018 documentary "Abbas by Abbas" -the late photographer.

EDIT/ADDED: lt was the way Abbas explained the lranian concept of 'two lives' that l found interesting. Most languages have conceptualizations different than your own mini-culture.

Ramadhan Mubarak.

Edited by hasanhh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...
  • Basic Members
On 4/15/2021 at 5:14 AM, Ain-Al Hayat said:

(daroon)درون means "inside(of)"

inside of life = daroon e zindagi or "dar daakhl e zindagi"

Life inside of= zindagi dar daakhl (زندگی در داخل) or " zindagi e daroon" 

So it depends on the sentences structure

"outside of" = (beeroon az) بیرون از / (kharj az) خارج از

Beeroon/kharj az zindagi = out/ outside of Life

Or you can simply say "beeroon e zindagi"... I think without using prepositions (az, dar)

I'm beginner so I don't know if that's 100% correct, that's only according to my knowledge

 اگر از کلمه داخل و خارج استفاده شود جمله خوبتر است

مثلأ : من در داخل کشور زندگی میکنم

من فعلأ در خارج از کشور زندگی میکنم

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member
On 2/21/2021 at 12:19 PM, Khurasani said:

Yeah but im afghan so they bully me because im learning to speak with iranian accent :grin:

 

I actually pronounce it closer to the Afghan way, because Indian and Afghan dialects are closer, because Dari was the variant introduced in India too. 

"Do baja ast"

"Deyr mishud"

"Dar kishware hind zindagi mikunam"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 6/6/2022 at 11:07 AM, AbdusSibtayn said:

I actually pronounce it closer to the Afghan way, because Indian and Afghan dialects are closer, because Dari was the variant introduced in India too. 

"Do baja ast"

"Deyr mishud"

"Dar kishware hind zindagi mikunam"

Bismillah
Salams,

Remember also that Farsi has changed in pronunciation over the course of ~1200 years such that Eastern Farsi (and Indian Farsi when it was spoken before partition) on the whole preserved phonological features more. For example, "Deyr" as you wrote was how the word would have been pronounced in the earliest phases of New Persian (by Ferdowsi, for example). Over the last millennium the majhul vowels (long o and long e) were lost and merged with u and i (zor->zur, der->dir). Not to say that Eastern Farsi (Dari and Tajiki) hasn't undergone its own innovations. Some dialects are pretty unrecognizable, like Hazaragi (though for obvious reasons).

iltimas-e-dua

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

Bismillah
Salams,

Remember also that Farsi has changed in pronunciation over the course of ~1200 years such that Eastern Farsi (and Indian Farsi when it was spoken before partition) on the whole preserved phonological features more. For example, "Deyr" as you wrote was how the word would have been pronounced in the earliest phases of New Persian (by Ferdowsi, for example). Over the last millennium the majhul vowels (long o and long e) were lost and merged with u and i (zor->zur, der->dir). Not to say that Eastern Farsi (Dari and Tajiki) hasn't undergone its own innovations. Some dialects are pretty unrecognizable, like Hazaragi (though for obvious reasons).

iltimas-e-dua

Wa alaikum assalam, 

Agreed completely, brother. One of the reasons why I think the older phonetics were preserved in Indian Persian is because the Persianate literary and linguistic culture in India practically 'froze' with the classics- Ferdowsi, Hafez, Sa'adi, Sana'i, Rudaki, Urfi, Anwari, Khaqani etc. Indian Farsi did not undergo the linguistic restructuring that Farsi in Iran underwent in the modern period from the 19th century onwards- when through textbooks, popular culture, official fiat and many other forces at work the Tehrani dialect (with its unmistakable European influences) acquired the 'official' position. The break with the older linguistic tradition, represented by other dialects, is not absolute though, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that old masters from the subcontinent  like Bedil (they call him 'Bidel' :p) and Khusrow are still admired in Iran! 

It's sad how the once vibrant Persian literary culture has almost died out in the subcontinent, and outside the clergy or the academia, finding someone conversant with Farsi is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. 

Fi amanillah. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...