Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it possible to marry a sunni?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Recently, I'm trying to look for a wife and I'm chatting with some women to get to know them better, in order to inshallah lead to marriage. Thing is, all of those girls are sunnis. I have a hard time finding any shia for some reason. I guess because we're in a minority. A couple of those sunni girls has shown quite the interest in me, but I got to thinking how practical it would be to marry a sunni girl.

Like, what would we teach our kids? Shia and sunni have different teachings. Do you or anyone you know have any experience of what a shia-sunni marriage looks like? How do they make it work without conflicting with their religion?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

If they have different teachings why would you want to make it work? Don't compromise on beliefs and teachings. That's true, there is no guarantee that you're children will adhere to the path of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) when they see two conflicting paths.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

If they know about the right of Ali (عليه السلام), and still support their enemies, then its haram for both shia man / woman to marry any sunni.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
20 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

If they know about the right of Ali (عليه السلام), and still support their enemies, then its haram for both shia man / woman to marry any sunni.

Reference of a scholar saying it is harram? Just wondering?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
49 minutes ago, Dubilex said:

Recently, I'm trying to look for a wife and I'm chatting with some women to get to know them better, in order to inshallah lead to marriage. Thing is, all of those girls are sunnis. I have a hard time finding any shia for some reason. I guess because we're in a minority. A couple of those sunni girls has shown quite the interest in me, but I got to thinking how practical it would be to marry a sunni girl.

Like, what would we teach our kids? Shia and sunni have different teachings. Do you or anyone you know have any experience of what a shia-sunni marriage looks like? How do they make it work without conflicting with their religion?

Salaam, 

By law, you can marry a Sunni if she is not a Nasibi (jealous and hater of Ahlulbayt (AS)). 

As an advice, if you want to marry a Sunni, she should not have deep conflicts with your (shia) belief. Like, she should be the one who takes part in muharram with you (many sunnis do commemorate in muharram). She should not be in conflict with your belief of Imamate. Do see through the nature. She should be humble, good at listening and understanding because if unless this is the case she won't tolerate your belief or your teachings or your differences with her. 

Clash of beliefs will cause problems for you in the future. So, if she is not a Nasibi,rest will fall upon her nature. That's it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
25 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Reference of a scholar saying it is harram? Just wondering?

Abu Ali Al Ashary, from Muhammad Bin Abdul Jabbar, from Safwan Bin Yahya, from Abdullah Bin
Muskan, from Yahya Al Halby, from Abdul Hameed Al Ta’aiy, from Zurara Bin Ayn who said,
‘I said to Abu Abdullah (عليه السلام), ‘Can I marry with a Murjiite or a Harouriyya
(two sects)?’
He (عليه السلام) said: ‘No, but upon you is the simple one from the women’.

Zurara said, ‘I said, ‘By Allah, what is she except for a Believing woman, or an
Infidel’.
So Abu Abdullah said: ‘And where would be the dualist people about
Allah Mighty and Majestic?
The Words of Allah Mighty and Majestic are more
truthful than your words, [4:98] Except the weak from among the men and the
children who have not in their power the means nor can they find a way (to
escape)’.

Majlisi Said: Sahih Mirat ul Uqool Volume 20 page 50

Muhammad Bin Yahya, from Ahmad Bin Muhammad, from Ibn Mahboub, from Jameel Bin Salih, from
Fuzayl Bin Yasaar,
(It has been narrated) from Abu Abdullah having said: ‘The Believer cannot marry
a Hostile woman (Nasibi)
, the one (who is) well known with that’

Majlisi said: Sahih Mirat Ul Uqool v20 page 51

Ali Bin Ibrahim, from his father, from Ibn Abu Umeyr, from Jameel Bin Darraj, from Zurara who said,
‘I said to Abu Ja’far, ‘I fear that it is not Permissible for me that I marry the one
who does not happen to be upon my matter (Wilayah)’
. So he said: ‘What is
preventing you from the simple ones from the women?
’ I said, ‘And what is the
simple one?
’ He said: ‘They are the weak ones from those who are not
establishing hostility (non Nasibis), and they do not recognise what you are upon’

Majlisi said: Sahih Mirat Ul Uqool v20 page 51

So on....

Can clearly be seen that any non-shia women who doesn't know much about imamah and caliphs of sunnah, same goes for any other sect, you can marry them.

rest of non shia Muslim women are haram for us. but you can't marry shia women to Nasibis or simple people who don't know much about religion. its also in hadiths.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
Just now, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Can clearly be seen that any non-shia women who doesn't know much about imamah and caliphs of sunnah, same goes for any other sect, you can marry them.

rest of non shia Muslim women are haram for us. but you can't marry shia women to Nasibis or simple people who don't know much about religion. its also in hadiths.

Muhammad Bin Yahya, from Ahmad Bin Muhammad, from Abdul Rahman Bin Abu Najran, from
Abdullah Bin Sinan who said,
‘I asked Abu Abdullahasws about the Hostile one (Nasibi) whose hostility is
recognised, as well as his enmity. Can we get the Believing woman to marry him,
and he (the guardian of the woman) is able to reject his proposal, and he (the Nasibi)
cannot prove his righteous beliefs’. Heasws said: ‘Neither can the Believer marry the 

hostile woman (Nasibi), nor can the hostile one (Nasibi) marry the believing woman,
nor can the believing woman marry the weak ones

Majlisi said : Sahih mirat ul uqool volume 20 page 51

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, Dubilex said:

Recently, I'm trying to look for a wife and I'm chatting with some women to get to know them better, in order to inshallah lead to marriage. Thing is, all of those girls are sunnis. I have a hard time finding any shia for some reason. I guess because we're in a minority. A couple of those sunni girls has shown quite the interest in me, but I got to thinking how practical it would be to marry a sunni girl.

Like, what would we teach our kids? Shia and sunni have different teachings. Do you or anyone you know have any experience of what a shia-sunni marriage looks like? How do they make it work without conflicting with their religion?

As with most things, it depends. I have met Sunnis who are humble and open to new ideas regarding Islam and Islamic history. The main qualities to look for are humility and good manners. If the girl is willing to admit when she is wrong about something or made a mistake, this is humility / sincerity, in Arabic Ikhas or khalis. If she has this, and all the other qualities that you are looking for are there, you won't have any issues. If she doesn't have this quality and is insistent even when she is clearly wrong, then you will have a hard time, and I wouldn't suggest marrying her. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Muhammad Bin Yahya, from Ahmad Bin Muhammad, from Abdul Rahman Bin Abu Najran, from
Abdullah Bin Sinan who said,
‘I asked Abu Abdullahasws about the Hostile one (Nasibi) whose hostility is
recognised, as well as his enmity. Can we get the Believing woman to marry him,
and he (the guardian of the woman) is able to reject his proposal, and he (the Nasibi)
cannot prove his righteous beliefs’. Heasws said: ‘Neither can the Believer marry the 

hostile woman (Nasibi), nor can the hostile one (Nasibi) marry the believing woman,
nor can the believing woman marry the weak ones

Majlisi said : Sahih mirat ul uqool volume 20 page 51

This is talking about those who show hatred or aggression toward Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)). Most Sunnis don't fit into this category. If she is Nasibi, obviously don't marry her. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

This is talking about those who show hatred or aggression toward Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)). Most Sunnis don't fit into this category. If she is Nasibi, obviously don't marry her. 

Nasibis are people who recognize haq of AhleBait still accept their enemies as Razi Allah.

As per hadiths, you are only allowed to marry women who aren't much into religion.

Whereas a Shia Women isn't even allowed to marry such a man. Its haram. As mentioned in hadiths.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Dubilex said:

Recently, I'm trying to look for a wife and I'm chatting with some women to get to know them better, in order to inshallah lead to marriage. Thing is, all of those girls are sunnis. I have a hard time finding any shia for some reason. I guess because we're in a minority. A couple of those sunni girls has shown quite the interest in me, but I got to thinking how practical it would be to marry a sunni girl.

Like, what would we teach our kids? Shia and sunni have different teachings. Do you or anyone you know have any experience of what a shia-sunni marriage looks like? How do they make it work without conflicting with their religion?

Ofcourse you can marry another Muslim.

Unless you believe a Sunni us outside of Islam.

Although if she is a very passionate about Sunni islam.then you will have problems when you have children.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
22 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

This is talking about those who show hatred or aggression toward Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)). Most Sunnis don't fit into this category. If she is Nasibi, obviously don't marry her. 

if they don't show hatred or aggression towards Ahlul Bayt, but instead follow those who did (khalifas). Are we to divide ourselves from them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 11/20/2020 at 6:49 PM, Dubilex said:

Recently, I'm trying to look for a wife and I'm chatting with some women to get to know them better, in order to inshallah lead to marriage. Thing is, all of those girls are sunnis. I have a hard time finding any shia for some reason. I guess because we're in a minority. A couple of those sunni girls has shown quite the interest in me, but I got to thinking how practical it would be to marry a sunni girl.

Like, what would we teach our kids? Shia and sunni have different teachings. Do you or anyone you know have any experience of what a shia-sunni marriage looks like? How do they make it work without conflicting with their religion?

Yes it is possible but you need to keep in mind.

see if her family would agree. because many sunnis dont like shia and consider shia mushrikeen therefore not allowed to marry

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
On 11/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Nasibis are people who recognize haq of AhleBait still accept their enemies as Razi Allah.

As per hadiths, you are only allowed to marry women who aren't much into religion.

Whereas a Shia Women isn't even allowed to marry such a man. Its haram. As mentioned in hadiths.

A Shia girl is allowed to marry a Sunni man under certain conditions, as per Sayyid Sistani(may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) give him long life). Here are some of his fatwa on the subject

Q9) Can a Shi'i girl marry a Sunni boy?

A9) If there is a fear of being misled, it is not permissible

Q17) We are a Shia family. A Sunni gentleman has asked for my sister’s hand in marriage. He is a very good and descent man. He is a good Muslim. We would like to know if there is anything in the Shia faith that prevents such a marriage. (That makes it haram)?? Plus is it ok if a Sunni Sheikh performs the wedding contract?? Is it ok if a Shia Sheikh performs the contract?

A17) There is no objection with regards to Sunni Sheikh’s reading of the contract. But it is not permissible for a Shia girl to marry a Sunni man, if she fears being misled by him.

http://www.alulbayt.com/rulings/11.htm

 

It is conditioned upon 'fear of being mislead'. Now that in itself is a large subject. To sum it up, what I believe this means is that if there is any indication that he will try to force his Mathab or other beliefs (such as those Nasayid beliefs which are not part of Islam) on her then it is haram to marry him. Same goes for the man, although it is more difficult for a women to force her beliefs on a man. I have said this before, that a women or a man should be very careful about marrying someone who doesn't share their basic beliefs about religion. This is because it is very likely that this will cause chaos in the house and the kids will end up becoming atheist or agonistic because they see religion only as a source of conflict and chaos, based on how their parents acted toward each other. At the same time, we can't say something is haram in all cases when it isn't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 12/5/2020 at 4:47 PM, Abu Hadi said:

A Shia girl is allowed to marry a Sunni man under certain conditions, as per Sayyid Sistani(may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) give him long life). Here are some of his fatwa on the subject

Q9) Can a Shi'i girl marry a Sunni boy?

A9) If there is a fear of being misled, it is not permissible

Q17) We are a Shia family. A Sunni gentleman has asked for my sister’s hand in marriage. He is a very good and descent man. He is a good Muslim. We would like to know if there is anything in the Shia faith that prevents such a marriage. (That makes it haram)?? Plus is it ok if a Sunni Sheikh performs the wedding contract?? Is it ok if a Shia Sheikh performs the contract?

A17) There is no objection with regards to Sunni Sheikh’s reading of the contract. But it is not permissible for a Shia girl to marry a Sunni man, if she fears being misled by him.

http://www.alulbayt.com/rulings/11.htm

 

It is conditioned upon 'fear of being mislead'. Now that in itself is a large subject. To sum it up, what I believe this means is that if there is any indication that he will try to force his Mathab or other beliefs (such as those Nasayid beliefs which are not part of Islam) on her then it is haram to marry him. Same goes for the man, although it is more difficult for a women to force her beliefs on a man. I have said this before, that a women or a man should be very careful about marrying someone who doesn't share their basic beliefs about religion. This is because it is very likely that this will cause chaos in the house and the kids will end up becoming atheist or agonistic because they see religion only as a source of conflict and chaos, based on how their parents acted toward each other. At the same time, we can't say something is haram in all cases when it isn't. 

But the hadiths Prohibit such marriages.

Upto you if you want to follow Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) or Sistani.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

But the hadiths Prohibit such marriages.

Upto you if you want to follow Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) or Sistani.

Every Sunni is not a Nasibi.

Many of them are great lovers of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام). Rest is upon the one who is in such an issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Zainuu said:

Every Sunni is not a Nasibi.

Many of them are great lovers of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام). Rest is upon the one who is in such an issue. 

Yes that's true

Question was:

On 12/5/2020 at 4:47 PM, Abu Hadi said:

Q9) Can a Shi'i girl marry a Sunni boy?

A9) If there is a fear of being misled, it is not permissible

Q17) We are a Shia family. A Sunni gentleman has asked for my sister’s hand in marriage. He is a very good and descent man. He is a good Muslim. We would like to know if there is anything in the Shia faith that prevents such a marriage. (That makes it haram)?? Plus is it ok if a Sunni Sheikh performs the wedding contract?? Is it ok if a Shia Sheikh performs the contract?

A17) There is no objection with regards to Sunni Sheikh’s reading of the contract. But it is not permissible for a Shia girl to marry a Sunni man, if she fears being misled by him.

And hadith say:

Muhammad Bin Yahya, from Ahmad Bin Muhammad, from Abdul Rahman Bin Abu Najran, from
Abdullah Bin Sinan who said,
‘I asked Abu Abdullah (عليه السلام) about the Hostile one (Nasibi) whose hostility is
recognised, as well as his enmity. Can we get the Believing woman to marry him,
and he (the guardian of the woman) is able to reject his proposal, and he (the Nasibi)
cannot prove his righteous beliefs’. He (عليه السلام) said: ‘Neither can the Believer marry the 

hostile woman (Nasibi), nor can the hostile one (Nasibi) marry the believing woman,
nor can the believing woman marry the weak ones

(Women aren't allowed to marry even weak ones)

Majlisi said : Sahih mirat ul uqool volume 20 page 51

Shia Women aren't allowed to marry them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 11/20/2020 at 2:13 AM, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:
On 11/20/2020 at 1:49 AM, Dubilex said:

Recently, I'm trying to look for a wife and I'm chatting with some women to get to know them better, in order to inshallah lead to marriage. Thing is, all of those girls are sunnis. I have a hard time finding any shia for some reason. I guess because we're in a minority. A couple of those sunni girls has shown quite the interest in me, but I got to thinking how practical it would be to marry a sunni girl.

Like, what would we teach our kids? Shia and sunni have different teachings. Do you or anyone you know have any experience of what a shia-sunni marriage looks like? How do they make it work without conflicting with their religion?

 

Salam

I can relate to your situation..it is hard to find shia spouses when you are living in a society where the Shi'as are in minorities. But there is no harm marrying a Sunni. But as you said it can be difficult in the future when you have children and with their upbringings. But if you have mutual understanding before marriage and you have discussed every point in detail then it shouldn't be a Problem. If there are chances of loosing your Imaan and your beliefs then you should highly avoid that kind of marriage.

May Allah guides us on the right path

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...