Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What are some interesting extinct sects of Islam?

• Advanced Member
On 11/20/2020 at 12:35 AM, smma said:

Comment about some interesting sects that are extinct, when and where did they exist and what were their believes?

Salam, 

A book by Allama Tabatabai: 'Shia'.  It's first chapter deals with the historical background of Shiism where all the sects are discussed briefly. This might be of help

http://islamicmobility.com/book-details/Shia

• Advanced Member
On 11/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, Warilla said:

Do pure Sunni mutazalite still exist ?

In the Maghreb there's a small community that identifies as Muʿtazilah but they refer to themselves as 'Wasiliyah'. Both Muhammad Abduh and Rashid Rida were influenced by Mu'tazili thought.

Edited by Eddie Mecca
  • Advanced Member

Do pure Sunni mutazalite still exist ?

Were the Mu'tazilah considered Sunni? I was under the impression that they were considered their own independent sect (i.e. neither Sunni nor Shi'a).

• Advanced Member

Khawarij (extinct) apparently have a link to ibadis of Oman. ?

They say basically all the indigenous inhabitants of Oman (it's a tiny tiny country) are direct descendants (both genetically and religiously) of the Khawarij...but the modern-day Ibadis have renounced the fanatical views of their ancestors and have adopted a live-and-let-live/Kumbaya sorta worldview...they retrospectively consider the actions of their forefathers to be a major blunder.

Edited by Eddie Mecca
  • Advanced Member

Khawarij (extinct) apparently have a link to ibadis of Oman. ?

You might find this interesting 

• Advanced Member
On 11/24/2020 at 4:23 AM, Eddie Mecca said:

Were the Mu'tazilah considered Sunni? I was under the impression that they were considered their own independent sect (i.e. neither Sunni nor Shi'a).

Yeah you are right. I meant as in non Shia mutazila.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OM Ibadhi
On 11/24/2020 at 8:30 AM, Eddie Mecca said:

They say basically all the indigenous inhabitants of Oman (it's a tiny tiny country) are direct descendants (both genetically and religiously) of the Khawarij...but the modern-day Ibadis have renounced the fanatical views of their ancestors and have adopted a live-and-let-live/Kumbaya sorta worldview...they retrospectively consider the actions of their forefathers to be a major blunder.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:30 AM, Eddie Mecca said:

Well, firstly it is a huge country with a small population. 

As for 'genetically and religiously' what does that even mean? 

The founders of the Ibadhi school were Omani. There is no dispute in that, and it is the principal madhab of the country. It is also found in East Africa, Tunisia and Libya. It broke away from the Khawarij although some past scholars have been happy to call themselves khawarij. 

Which 'forefathers' are you referring to? 

Mass generalisations backed up with little in the way of knowledge helps no one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 1:17 AM, feefee_xx said:

Mutazilites are pretty interesting

Yes, they were interesting because they tried honestly to find answers to many questions and they didn't accept dogmatic answers like "because I said so" or "it's written here because John Doe wrote it and bila kaifa" (Apologies if I have erred in terminology)