Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can I watch people playing chess ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam,

I follow Sayyid Ali Sistani, and he says that playing chess (be it in real life or online, even if there is no betting) is absolutely forbidden. But can I attend chess tournaments as a spectator only, or watch a movie where there's a scene in which the actors play chess ? To make it simple: am I allowed to just look/watch chess, or is that haraam too ? Matter of fact, can I also watch people play poker and other gambling games without the intention of playing those games ?

Thank you. I'd appreciate it if you can answer according to the rulings of Sayyid Sistani, please.

• Advanced Member

Don't need any rulings other than this hadith as a reason to avoid chess completely. I remember reading this online in Muharram. 

There is a hadith from Imam al-Rida (عليه السلام), that Yazid put the head of Imam (عليه السلام) in a basin and put a food table over it. Then, he and his companions began eating and drinking beer; then, they replaced that table with a chess table and began playing chess. When Yazid made a good move in the game, drank beer and poured the remaining beer beside the basin on the ground.

Ṣadūq, ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā, vol. 1, p. 25

1) Yazid put the head of Imam (عليه السلام) in a basin on the floor

2) Yazid then put a dining table on top and began eating and drinking beer

3) Then Yazid replaced the dining table with a chess table

4) When Yazid made a "good" move he drank beer and poured the remaining beer next to the basin where the Imam's (عليه السلام) head was

Chess should be avoided in any form, there's no question about it. 

There's also a similar version here:

Fazl bin Shazan narrates from Imam Reza (عليه السلام):

"When the holy head of Imam Husain (عليه السلام) was being taken from Syria, the accursed Yazid ordered to prepare the table for food. He was engrossed in eating and drinking wine with his cronies and ordered that Imam’s (عليه السلام) head should be placed on the floor. Then he got engrossed in playing chess. He used to remember the ancestors of Imam Husain (عليه السلام) and mocked at them. Whenever he would win the game he would drink three glasses of wine, and spill the leftovers near the tray. Therefore, one who is our Shia, it is compulsory for him to keep away from drinking wine and playing chess. And whenever he sees any of these two things, he should remember Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) and curse Yazid and his progeny. If he dies, Allah will forgive his sins."

Oyoono Akhbar al-Reza, p. 93

Edited by Vindemiatrix
Formating
  • Advanced Member

1 hour ago, Vindemiatrix said:

1) Yazid put the head of Imam (عليه السلام) in a basin on the floor

2) Yazid then put a dining table on top and began eating and drinking beer

3) Then Yazid replaced the dining table with a chess table

4) When Yazid made a "good" move he drank beer and poured the remaining beer next to the basin where the Imam's (عليه السلام) head was

Chess should be avoided in any form, there's no question about it. 

i never knew that.....:worried: playing chess was always one of my favorite games ever... i feel soo bad my allah forgive me:cryhappy:

• Advanced Member

What is the ruling of looking at people that play chess?
In two narrations, it is mentioned that one looks at the game of chess; do not say hello to him .

http://www.rohani.ir/fa/idetail/7801/نگاه-كردن-به-افراد--كه-مشغول-بازی-با-شطرنج--هستند----

Is it permissible  friendship and hanging with someone who is a chess player? And is it permissible to greet him while playing or not?

Answer:باسمه جلت اسمائه; It is not permissible and it is forbidden in the narration to say hello to him while he is playing.

http://www.rohani.ir/fa/idetail/7804/-p-dir--RTL--style--text-align--justify------آيا-ر

Guest Someone
17 hours ago, Mohamad Abdel-Hamid said:

Salam,

I follow Sayyid Ali Sistani, and he says that playing chess (be it in real life or online, even if there is no betting) is absolutely forbidden. But can I attend chess tournaments as a spectator only, or watch a movie where there's a scene in which the actors play chess ? To make it simple: am I allowed to just look/watch chess, or is that haraam too ? Matter of fact, can I also watch people play poker and other gambling games without the intention of playing those games ?

Thank you. I'd appreciate it if you can answer according to the rulings of Sayyid Sistani, please.

Ali Bin Ibrahim, from his father, from Hammad Bin Isa who said,

‘A man from the (people of) Al-Basra came over to Abu Al-Hassan (a) the 1st so he said to him, ‘May I be sacrificed for you! I sit with a people who are playing with the chess, and I do not play with it, but I (just) look’. So he (a) said: ‘What is it to you and a gathering which Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) does not Look at its people?

Al Kafi – V 6 – The Book of Drinks Ch 35 H 12

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hubeali.com/articles/GamblingAndGamesOfChance.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiMo635noTtAhXQ4zgGHbEGCAYQFjAFegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2oFO4jsxPvmFqRxpKWsbfU

• Advanced Member

Yeah... 

That's such an odd fatwa. The hadith mentioned on this thread sort of explains why chess is so disliked by some Shia, but it doesn't do well in explaining why the game itself is bad. 

I mean, Yazid (la) used to walk, can I not do that anymore? 

Don't mean to be offensive, but fatwas feel like they've come out of nowhere. 

• 4 months later...
Guest anon23

I also don't understand this, Yazid also read books (at some point in his life) does that mean that I can't read anymore because he did that? What does this have to do with the activity. If he also played catch or kicked a ball around, do I also have to refrain from these? And surely there are many characters in history who have done reprehensible things while reading the Quran, but that doesn't mean we will stop reading it because of that. This makes no sense. Following this logic, would checkers or go fish be considered haram? Or any board game for that matter.

• Advanced Member

Chess was forbidden previously at the time of the Aimmah since it was commonly associated with gambling. Maraja' who say that chess is forbidden do so as there is no complete proof that chess is to be permitted nowadays. As-Sayyid Khamenei permits chess as long as chess is no longer commonly associated with gambling. Obviously this ruling is derived from logic. Other ahadith regrading chess:

The tradition from the book, Tohafful Uqūl distinctly states that the articles employed in gambling cannot be used for any purpose whatsoever and it is Harām to do so.

“All the tools and actions of gambling are Harām.”

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).), is reported to have told Abu Basir:

“It is Harām to sell chess. It is Harām to spend the income of this sale. To keep chess (board and pieces) in ones possession is tantamount to kufr (disbelief). To play chess is equal to ascribing partners to Allah. It is a sin even to salute one who plays chess. One who touches it in order to play it, it is, as if he has contaminated his hands by touching pork.” Wasa’il ul-Shia. Chapter on Business Transactions

The same tradition is recorded in the book Man La Yahzarul Faqih with the addition inter alia that: “To teach chess to others is also a kind of destructive sin.”

“The prayers of chess-players are not valid till they wash their hands after the game. And to watch a game of chess is like looking at the genitals of one’s own mother.” Wasa’il ul-Shia. Chapter on Business Transactions

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) on being inquired concerning chess replied:

“Leave the preoccupations of the fire-worshippers to them.”

Hazrat Imam ‘Ali ar-Riďa ((عليه السلام).) says, “Whoever is our Shia must abstain from barley wine and chess. One who sees barley wine or chess must remember Imam Husain ((عليه السلام).) and invoke curse upon Yazid and the progeny of Yazid. If a Shia does this, Allah the Almighty will forgive all his sins even if they are more numerous than the stars.” Uyūn al-Akhbār ar-Riďa

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fourteenth-greater-sin

• Advanced Member

It's funny, I didn't intend to play chess, but there was this new series in Netflix called "The Queen's Gambit" centering around a girl that plays chess. My father began watching the serie, but I wasn't sure if I could watch it with him, since I've read all those hadiths condemning chess. So that's why I asked if it was allowed to see someone else play chess without me engaging in the act.

• Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, Mohamad Abdel-Hamid said:

but there was this new series in Netflix

Sayid Sistani gave a fatwa about Netflix saying it’s haram to subscribe to them, he gave this fatwa because of one movie they made called cuties. 

• Advanced Member
27 minutes ago, Diaz said:

Sayid Sistani gave a fatwa about Netflix saying it’s haram to subscribe to them, he gave this fatwa because of one movie they made called cuties. 

Can you show me the fatwa ?

Guest Guest Guest
47 minutes ago, Diaz said:

Proof? Preferably in English or Urdu

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mohamad Abdel-Hamid said:

Can you show me the fatwa ?

That Netflix is haram? It was on Twitter, now I don’t have Twitter, I will check and then I will link it to u ASAP. 

Edit:- sayid Sistani said it’s not permissible to subscribe to any streaming web that promote unlawful things, check link below. since Netflix promotes these unlawful things, it’s haram to subscribe.

https://imam-us.org/are-streaming-services-haram

Edited by Diaz
  • Advanced Member

He says:

If the service or company is not solely engaged in providing and promoting unlawful movies, series, and programs (i.e., it is their only objective), then it is not forbidden to subscribe to it for viewing permissible content. A person who is not immune from the temptation to commit an unlawful act (e.g., viewing something impermissible) due to the content, or their family is not immune, then it is not permitted to subscribe. Allah knows best.

We know the Netflix is not solely engaged in providing and promoting unlawful content, since we can find many good documentaries, comedies, dramas, cartoons and other kinds of content that have nothing unlawful in them. Yes, I do recognize that there are some things in Netflix that are clearly impermissible to watch, but that's not the only kind of content we can find. Besides, he's practically also saying that if you are able to control yourself, and that you manage not to view that which is impermissible, then there's no problem. If we were to use the same logic, then the entire internet would also be ulawfull for us since there are many easily accesible haram sites that clearly lead to sin. 

That's at least how I understood it. If someone else has a different opinion, please let me know.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Muhammad Al-Hurr said:

Chess was forbidden previously at the time of the Aimmah since it was commonly associated with gambling. Maraja' who say that chess is forbidden do so as there is no complete proof that chess is to be permitted nowadays. As-Sayyid Khamenei permits chess as long as chess is no longer commonly associated with gambling. Obviously this ruling is derived from logic. Other ahadith regrading chess:

The tradition from the book, Tohafful Uqūl distinctly states that the articles employed in gambling cannot be used for any purpose whatsoever and it is Harām to do so.

“All the tools and actions of gambling are Harām.”

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).), is reported to have told Abu Basir:

“It is Harām to sell chess. It is Harām to spend the income of this sale. To keep chess (board and pieces) in ones possession is tantamount to kufr (disbelief). To play chess is equal to ascribing partners to Allah. It is a sin even to salute one who plays chess. One who touches it in order to play it, it is, as if he has contaminated his hands by touching pork.” Wasa’il ul-Shia. Chapter on Business Transactions

The same tradition is recorded in the book Man La Yahzarul Faqih with the addition inter alia that: “To teach chess to others is also a kind of destructive sin.”

“The prayers of chess-players are not valid till they wash their hands after the game. And to watch a game of chess is like looking at the genitals of one’s own mother.” Wasa’il ul-Shia. Chapter on Business Transactions

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) on being inquired concerning chess replied:

“Leave the preoccupations of the fire-worshippers to them.”

Hazrat Imam ‘Ali ar-Riďa ((عليه السلام).) says, “Whoever is our Shia must abstain from barley wine and chess. One who sees barley wine or chess must remember Imam Husain ((عليه السلام).) and invoke curse upon Yazid and the progeny of Yazid. If a Shia does this, Allah the Almighty will forgive all his sins even if they are more numerous than the stars.” Uyūn al-Akhbār ar-Riďa

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fourteenth-greater-sin

:salam:

What is the word used in that hadith ? Is it really chatranj or whatever name was used for that particular game at that time ? 

Edited by realizm