Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is adopting a Cat permissible in Shia fiqh?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

I want to adopt a Cat, but some people and my family don't agree with it and don't alow me. They say that Cat is a Haram animal and it will have negative effects in our home. Is this thought correct? I can take care of this animal and complete its every need as I have affection for these creatures and love them.

I'm not a shia, though it does not really matter as i am certain that cats are permissible whether it be in shia fiqh or sunni, cats were loved by our prophet muhammad peace be upon him and they are regarded as pure animals, like they are clean and they are not najas.

• Advanced Member

No cat is considered one of the cleanest creatures in Islam and you can adopt them if you want. Your wudu will also not get broken if you touch them in that state. 

I read they rasool allah(saws) also had a cat named muzeem, dunno if this is true though.

• Advanced Member

Nowhere is it stated that cats are haram in Islam. In fact, the Prophet Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) owned a cat. However, Ayatollah Syed Fadhullah and Syed Khamanei state that praying whereupon there is any cat hair makes one's prayer nullified. However, it is permitted due to there not being anything contrary to it [in your books].

• Advanced Member

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01130/

Can I keep a cat, hamster, and rabbit in my house?

Answer: There is no problem in it,
Note: The body and the salive of the cat, rabbit, and hamster is ritually pure (Tahir), yet its urine, feaces, and blood are Najis

Does cat hair affect ones prayers?
Answer: If there is a few cat hairs (one to three) on a person's body or cloth, his prayer is in order but if there are more than that, his prayer becomes void, as an obligatory precaution
  • Advanced Member

is there also a scource in shia books that prophet muhammed sawa had a cat named Muezza? 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, AliNaqi said:

I want to adopt a Cat, but some people and my family don't agree with it and don't alow me. They say that Cat is a Haram animal and it will have negative effects in our home. Is this thought correct? I can take care of this animal and complete its every need as I have affection for these creatures and love them.

Your family is a cat racist.  

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Veteran Member

ln Sunni mosque you cannot adopt, because you change their name.

Now you may take a cat in for care, but you cannot 'adopt' it and you cannot change its name.

lf it, the feline, does not have a known name, they you'II have to caII it 'no name.'

• Veteran Member

@Diaz   ln Sunni fiqh you cannot adopt. And why: because western adoptions allow for a name change. SEE: Ayat 33:5 and https://blog.islamonlineuniversity.com/question/adoption-in-islam-and-name-change/ 

l have read Jafari fiqh but l do not know enough to even comment.

Did l answer your question?

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, AliNaqi said:

wallah i have same problem:cryhappy:

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l have read Jafari fiqh but l do not know enough to even comment

To Summarize

1) Adoption is allowed in Islam.

2) However, changing the family name of the adopted child is not allowed.

3) If the child was two years old or less and was also breast fed directly by the adoptive mother for at least a day and a night (or fifteeen times consequently), then the child will become mahram to the new family—hijâb won't be necessary.

4) If the child was not breast fed as mentioned above, then he or she will remain non-mahram to the new family.

5) Adoption in rizâ`i or non-rizâ`i form does not give the adopted child a right to inherit the estate of the adoptive parents; nor does it deprives him or her from inheriting the estate of the real parents. (However, the adoptive parents have the option of writing up to one-third of their estate for their adopted child.)

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/adoption-islam-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi

• Veteran Member

My ex.

Yeah . . . my ex wanted a cat. A dozen years ago . . . abouts.

Whine . . . whine . . . she'd voice "oh-h-h-h . . . " and sound like a cat.

What started this was the teenage gurls a friend of hers had. These two got a cat, had it in the house -instead of out in the barn where it belongs- and would dress it up in costumes.

What is wrong with the clothing Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). gave it?

So my ex wanted a cat.

Disgusting.

l went to a department store and looked around for toy cats.

Found a nice black one.

On  my way to the check-out, l run into her friend and her two teenagers. They asked what l was doing. l said, "lt's your fault."

Our fault . . . how.

You got a cat, now (ex 's name) wants a cat. So l came here and got her a cat.

Then showed it to them.

Of course, they started laughing . . . pretty hard, too.

When l get home, l get a cardboard box, cut some air holes in it, and place it on the kitchen table.

She comes home. Sees box. Gets all excited. "You got me a cat!" Puts her purchases down on the sink. 

Jumps over to the box. Opens it. And stands like a statue . . .

staring at her new, cat.

The No Litter Box edition.