Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can a Mentally Invalid or Handicapped person be Muslim?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Lion of Shia said:

Could a mentally handicapped person be a Muslim period, i heard in Sunni if your Mentally handicapped or insane your prayers and Shahadah(if you take it in that state), is invalid, is that true in Shia, what is  the Shia ruling on this matter?

Yes brother, 

Without a doubt, their are many muslims who are in such state. Islam is for all. And Allah is the best of knowers. 

• Advanced Member
On 11/13/2020 at 7:16 PM, Lion of Shia said:

Could a mentally handicapped person be a Muslim period, i heard in Sunni if your Mentally handicapped or insane your prayers and Shahadah(if you take it in that state), is invalid, is that true in Shia, what is  the Shia ruling on this matter?

I had heard this too

@Zainuu and @notme Thank you for clarifying this.  It is great to know that God welcomes us into his family irrespective of our physical or mental capabilities, our status or gender.  He is no respecter of people and shows no prejudice or favouritism.

O God help us to see people like you do and love without judgment.

Guest Muntazir
On 11/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, Lion of Shia said:

Allah (عزّ وجلّ) in Quran: "I am not unjust to my Creation". A permanently unsound mind is free from worship like prayer and fast. But, if his mental illness is temporary, prayer in mentally deteriorating health can be abandoned till he or she feels vompletey normal and shall resume his prayers and fast and also perform qaza if any. It is due to these that Aaimah say: "If you are overwhelmed by sleep and can't make dua after prayer then sleep".

• Advanced Member
On 11/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, Mahdavist said:

As @notme mentioned, it is the religious obligations that change depending on one's mental condition rather than their religious identity. 

I suppose if our connection with God is dependent on the obligation to do something, if we are unable to do that (for whatever reason) then our link with God will be damaged.  However, if our identity before God is dependant of God entering into an unconditional loving relationship with us, then our mental or physical state will not affect that loving family bond.

The shame we may feel that keeps us out of God's family has been removed by Jesus the Messiah and God welcomes us as his honoured children irrespective of physical or mental health.