Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

No belief in duas

Rate this topic

Hello. I am a muslim in my eraly 20s and recently I have been bombarded with problems with my personal life more than ever before. I have made dua for a spesific thing for many years. If I get it, I will be able to help others through it as well. However, today, again, I didn't get it and it got me thinking really deep - does God really listen to our duas? I don't know what to do or should I even do anything. I can't understand why doesn't He accept my duas if I want to help others. I have tried many duas and tasbeeh and I also recite Ziarat Ashura daily but still nothing works. I have lost faith in duas a long time ago but thought for i little while why not try them again. At this point I don't believe in duas or that God will give me what I want.

I don't even know why I'm writing this. I'm still in a state of shock from the news I recieved today and that's my way of pouring my emotions out I guess.

13 hours ago, ShiaofAli12 said:

Salams bro/sis,

When it comes du'a I was always taught a few things regarding its outcome. (1) is that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) won't give you what you want because in reality it is harmful for you but we just don't know it. Instead he gives you what you need and what is beneficial for you (Allah knows what is good and what isnt). (2) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) may delay the accepting of your du'as to a later time in the future when it is best, maybe if he gave you what you wanted at a later date, it'll be far better for you than giving it now. (3) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) reserves the du'a for the day of judgement so you get rewarded for it then rather than in the dunya because the reward in the akhira is much better. (4) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) leaves the accepting of the du'a so this gives you opportunity to make more du'a and so you get more rewards, what do I mean. SCENARIO (A) If Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gave you what wanted after the first du'a you made, you wouldn't be making anymore du'a for it, SCENARIO (B) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) didn't give you what you asked for, you made more and more du'a and so you are going to be rewarded more. The difference between scenario A and B is possibly 1 and a 100 du'as being made and because you made more du'a you are going to be rewarded more. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is possibly giving you an opportunity for more reward, so take the opportunity. (Note: I'm not speaking on God's behalf).

Now let's go over what you mentioned. You say through this wanted thing you can help people, how do you know this 'help' won't result in bad consequences later in the future. We don't know so that is a possibility and Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) may be preventing a bad outcome.| We don't know but maybe Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is reserving your du'a for the future and then you will get what you want because it'll be better for you in the future rather than now (remember Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows what's best for us). Maybe Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is reserving your du'a for the day of judgement and when you need help the most on that day, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will use that du'a to help you when you need it the most. It may also be that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants to reserve the du'a to reward you in the day of judgement not now because reward in the akhirah is much better than in this world. Maybe Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) by not giving you what you want, it prompts you to make more du'a and the more du'a you make, the more reward is given to you. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants you to keep making du'a so he can give more in the akhirah.

So as of now, keep making du'a because it seems like you've been making a lot of it and this is good because who knows how much reward is in store for you just because of this. My advice to you is to keep making du'a because Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) loves when his servant calls for him in du'a. Even if there is no outcome or you're not given what you want, remember Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) isn't going to forget how much du'a you've made. It'll be worth it.

Just a handy tip, I read there a certain things you can do to have du'a accepted. (1) is you should make salawaat on Muhammed ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and his family (عليه السلام) at the start, middle and end of the du'a(you'll realise many of the du'as given to us by the Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) have a lot of salawaat so keep that in mind). (2) Make du'a for others before yourself. I remember reading about Fatima al-Zahra (عليه السلام) that she would make du'a for literally so many people from neighbours to friends to family before herself. She'd put herself last on the list. So make du'a for others before yourself. (3) Making du'a in fajr or after prayers are really good. (4) It has to be from your heart.

Just a final note, even if you don't get what you want, remember that each du'a you make is worth it so don't let anything stop you from making du'a. Du'a is real and it is our greatest tool.

Hope this helps. Wasalam.

Thanks to everyone's reply.

At this point in my life I don't think any dua I make for myself is going to be accepted so I have given up on that. I do make dua for others, maybe even more than to myself, and it gets accepted. What I was asking for is to get accepted to school. Last year it all went downhill because of COVID-19 and this year I had to go, unexpectedly, through a surgery in less than a week before the exams. I did the exams anyway right after the surgery but it didn't go as I expected. Talk about bad luck.

I really don't think any imam or even God is going to ever give me what I want. I am so tired of endless ''this will certainly help''- and ''this works 100%''-duas I don't think there is a point in them. I'm going to rely on myself alone.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Guest 123 said:

At this point in my life I don't think any dua I make for myself is going to be accepted so I have given up on that. I do make dua for others, maybe even more than to myself, and it gets accepted. What I was asking for is to get accepted to school. Last year it all went downhill because of COVID-19 and this year I had to go, unexpectedly, through a surgery in less than a week before the exams. I did the exams anyway right after the surgery but it didn't go as I expected. Talk about bad luck.

I really don't think any imam or even God is going to ever give me what I want. I am so tired of endless ''this will certainly help''- and ''this works 100%''-duas I don't think there is a point in them. I'm going to rely on myself alone.

Keep making du'a for yourself, just as @starlightsaid, trust in Allah's plan. She didn't get accepted in post grad first time around but she kept prayer and she made it in the next year. Don't give up good will come your way.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:31 AM, ShiaofAli12 said:

Salams bro/sis,

When it comes du'a I was always taught a few things regarding its outcome. (1) is that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) won't give you what you want because in reality it is harmful for you but we just don't know it. Instead he gives you what you need and what is beneficial for you (Allah knows what is good and what isnt). (2) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) may delay the accepting of your du'as to a later time in the future when it is best, maybe if he gave you what you wanted at a later date, it'll be far better for you than giving it now. (3) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) reserves the du'a for the day of judgement so you get rewarded for it then rather than in the dunya because the reward in the akhira is much better. (4) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) leaves the accepting of the du'a so this gives you opportunity to make more du'a and so you get more rewards, what do I mean. SCENARIO (A) If Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gave you what wanted after the first du'a you made, you wouldn't be making anymore du'a for it, SCENARIO (B) Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) didn't give you what you asked for, you made more and more du'a and so you are going to be rewarded more. The difference between scenario A and B is possibly 1 and a 100 du'as being made and because you made more du'a you are going to be rewarded more. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is possibly giving you an opportunity for more reward, so take the opportunity. (Note: I'm not speaking on God's behalf).

Now let's go over what you mentioned. You say through this wanted thing you can help people, how do you know this 'help' won't result in bad consequences later in the future. We don't know so that is a possibility and Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) may be preventing a bad outcome.| We don't know but maybe Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is reserving your du'a for the future and then you will get what you want because it'll be better for you in the future rather than now (remember Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows what's best for us). Maybe Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is reserving your du'a for the day of judgement and when you need help the most on that day, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will use that du'a to help you when you need it the most. It may also be that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants to reserve the du'a to reward you in the day of judgement not now because reward in the akhirah is much better than in this world. Maybe Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) by not giving you what you want, it prompts you to make more du'a and the more du'a you make, the more reward is given to you. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants you to keep making du'a so he can give more in the akhirah.

So as of now, keep making du'a because it seems like you've been making a lot of it and this is good because who knows how much reward is in store for you just because of this. My advice to you is to keep making du'a because Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) loves when his servant calls for him in du'a. Even if there is no outcome or you're not given what you want, remember Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) isn't going to forget how much du'a you've made. It'll be worth it.

Just a handy tip, I read there a certain things you can do to have du'a accepted. (1) is you should make salawaat on Muhammed ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and his family (عليه السلام) at the start, middle and end of the du'a(you'll realise many of the du'as given to us by the Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) have a lot of salawaat so keep that in mind). (2) Make du'a for others before yourself. I remember reading about Fatima al-Zahra (عليه السلام) that she would make du'a for literally so many people from neighbours to friends to family before herself. She'd put herself last on the list. So make du'a for others before yourself. (3) Making du'a in fajr or after prayers are really good. (4) It has to be from your heart.

Just a final note, even if you don't get what you want, remember that each du'a you make is worth it so don't let anything stop you from making du'a. Du'a is real and it is our greatest tool.

Hope this helps. Wasalam.

I don't understand how is it going to help me in the akhira if my duas don't get accepted in this life? Could you please elaborate your point of view? I am not going to study and work after I die lol. I imagine a ghost among the students.

15 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

If you refer to the supplications in the Qur'an and those made by the prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and his progeny (عليه السلام) mostly they are focused on seeking guidance, remaining upon the truth, forgiveness and the hereafter.

I think a lot of us tend to heavily emphasize our supplications on personal wishes and desires, and then end up getting disappointed when things don't go our way. 

Perhaps we should reevaluate why we are supplicating, what we are supplicating for and how close our supplications are to those that have been passed down to us. 

The problem with me is that I have constant doubts if my duas will get accepted. I tried to liie to myself and think ''my duas are heard and accepted. The devil is playing with my mind making me doubtful etc.'' but I can't get rid of doubts. It's as if if I doubt and think it's not going to get accepted then I won't be disappointed when it really doesn't work.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Guest 123 said:

I don't understand how is it going to help me in the akhira if my duas don't get accepted in this life? Could you please elaborate your point of view? I am not going to study and work after I die lol. I imagine a ghost among the students.

I'll try to elaborate on what I wanted to get across. What you asked for in the du'a for example let's say getting a job is not going to help you in the akhira if it is not given to you in this life. What I meant was du'a in itself is rewarded, the simple act of making du'a is going to help you in the akhira, not what you were actually asking for. In your book of deeds, it will show how much du'a you made and because of that your du'a will help you.

Hope this helps. If you need more clarification, don't be afraid to ask. 

• Advanced Member
On 11/13/2020 at 3:19 PM, Guest 123 said:

Hello. I am a muslim in my eraly 20s and recently I have been bombarded with problems with my personal life more than ever before. I have made dua for a spesific thing for many years. If I get it, I will be able to help others through it as well. However, today, again, I didn't get it and it got me thinking really deep - does God really listen to our duas? I don't know what to do or should I even do anything. I can't understand why doesn't He accept my duas if I want to help others. I have tried many duas and tasbeeh and I also recite Ziarat Ashura daily but still nothing works. I have lost faith in duas a long time ago but thought for i little while why not try them again. At this point I don't believe in duas or that God will give me what I want.

I don't even know why I'm writing this. I'm still in a state of shock from the news I recieved today and that's my way of pouring my emotions out I guess.

If I had to guess, your heritage is from the greater Indian subcontinent.

I was brought up in this tradition of Islam. 

Unfortunately there is a tradition of seeing God as "Santa Claus" type of character, who delivers you your wishes if you've been a good boy. This normally just results in not ever getting your wish no matter how much of a "good boy" you've been. Ultimately, this causes a lot of people turning their back on the idea of God, and results in more harm than good. 

Once I grew older, and got to know people from the iranic tradition of Islam (from people who've studied in Qom for example), I got a better idea of Islam.

The point of Islam, in my opinion and learnings, is NOT to deliver your wishes. 

Islam is there to allow you to gain some kind of peace or wisdom in world that denies you your wishes and needs. 

Once you realise this, you'll begin to realise a lot of the practices in Islam are there to train you to learn this. For example;

Fasting > To teach you not to rely on decadent things like abundance of food

Not wearing gold > To teach you that frivolous displays of wealth are pointless 

No tattoos or showing off your physical body> having too much pride in your physical shell you have in this short term journey we call "life"

1 hour ago, Randle McMurphy said:

If I had to guess, your heritage is from the greater Indian subcontinent.

I was brought up in this tradition of Islam. 

Unfortunately there is a tradition of seeing God as "Santa Claus" type of character, who delivers you your wishes if you've been a good boy. This normally just results in not ever getting your wish no matter how much of a "good boy" you've been. Ultimately, this causes a lot of people turning their back on the idea of God, and results in more harm than good. 

Once I grew older, and got to know people from the iranic tradition of Islam (from people who've studied in Qom for example), I got a better idea of Islam.

The point of Islam, in my opinion and learnings, is NOT to deliver your wishes. 

Islam is there to allow you to gain some kind of peace or wisdom in world that denies you your wishes and needs. 

Once you realise this, you'll begin to realise a lot of the practices in Islam are there to train you to learn this. For example;

Fasting > To teach you not to rely on decadent things like abundance of food

Not wearing gold > To teach you that frivolous displays of wealth are pointless 

No tattoos or showing off your physical body> having too much pride in your physical shell you have in this short term journey we call "life"

''If I had to guess, your heritage is from the greater Indian subcontinent.'' I'm afraid you're wrong. I am from an ethnic group in Iraq and Iran but I grew up in the west.

I agree with you on those points you have made but I just can't see the wisdom in delaying my education. I just see all the neighbours and relatives getting accepted and then there's me and I get immensely worried if I will ever get accepted. ''Islam is there to allow you to gain some kind of peace or wisdom in world that denies you your wishes and needs.''  Could you please elaborate your point of view?

10 hours ago, ShiaofAli12 said:

I'll try to elaborate on what I wanted to get across. What you asked for in the du'a for example let's say getting a job is not going to help you in the akhira if it is not given to you in this life. What I meant was du'a in itself is rewarded, the simple act of making du'a is going to help you in the akhira, not what you were actually asking for. In your book of deeds, it will show how much du'a you made and because of that your du'a will help you.

Hope this helps. If you need more clarification, don't be afraid to ask. 

Now I understand. Thanks for explaining. So because of the dua, I was close to God and that closeness is what's going to get counted in the akhira.

• Advanced Member
On 11/14/2020 at 10:05 AM, Guest 123 said:

Do you imagine that others get everything they want in life?

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Guest 123 said:

''I agree with you on those points you have made but I just can't see the wisdom in delaying my education. I just see all the neighbours and relatives getting accepted and then there's me and I get immensely worried if I will ever get accepted. ''Islam is there to allow you to gain some kind of peace or wisdom in world that denies you your wishes and needs.''  Could you please elaborate your point of view?

The wisdom of denying of your education is so you learn to live peacefully meaningfully without that education. You do know that most people aren't privileged enough to be educated to the levels they desire?

Learning to accept your lot, is learning to accept God's will. That doesn't mean you should stop trying.  

What would you like me to elaborate on?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Guest 123 said:

Now I understand

To me Islam is gaining closeness to Allah through submission to Him.

As far as duas not being accepted and wishes not being granted is concerned, it's just a test to see if you are still grateful and accepting of whatever He chose for you.

33 minutes ago, Randle McMurphy said:

The wisdom of denying of your education is so you learn to live peacefully meaningfully without that education. You do know that most people aren't privileged enough to be educated to the levels they desire?

Learning to accept your lot, is learning to accept God's will. That doesn't mean you should stop trying.  

What would you like me to elaborate on?

''Islam is there to allow you to gain some kind of peace or wisdom in world that denies you your wishes and needs.''  I don't understand that sentence.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, eThErEaL said:

Do you imagine that others get everything they want in life?

Of course not. To be honest I don't care about other's relationship with God because I think the relationship and religion is something personal. I think about religion as give and receive. Of course there are going to be hardships and that require mental strength and patience.

10 hours ago, Randle McMurphy said:

Islam doesn't help you get what you want. 

Islam helps you be ok with you not getting what you want. 

Thanks for explaining. I guess there are many things in my religion's philosophy that I don't know about and need to study.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Guest 123 said:

Thanks for explaining. I guess there are many things in my religion's philosophy that I don't know about and need to study.

Not necessarily. I could be wrong. It's just something I learnt. Most of my wishes never came to fruition.

Remember that many of the people above had a different view to me e.g. be patient, you'll get your wish in time. 

• Advanced Member
On 11/13/2020 at 3:19 PM, Guest 123 said:

I haven't read the other comments, but it seems like you've had an outpouring of advise and feedback Alhumdulliah. Hang in there! I don't want to sound like one of those really cheesy quotes that you see on Pinterest, but honestly, keep the faith! Sometimes you have to go through a rocky journey to learn, grow, evolve and appreciate what you have/what Allah has planned for you. Chin up! This time too shall pass inshAllah. 

• Advanced Member
On 11/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, Randle McMurphy said:

Not necessarily. I could be wrong. It's just something I learnt. Most of my wishes never came to fruition.

Remember that many of the people above had a different view to me e.g. be patient, you'll get your wish in time. 

Sometimes not getting what you wish for can be the greatest blessing. :)

• Veteran Member

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/third-greater-sinqunut

It seems it is a greater sin, after shirk, hopelessness and despondence, to not believe that Allah will be Merciful or that our prayers do not work. If we think about it, it is in fact a very counterproductive attitude.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 1:08 PM, The Green Knight said:

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/third-greater-sinqunut

It seems it is a greater sin, after shirk, hopelessness and despondence, to not believe that Allah will be Merciful or that our prayers do not work. If we think about it, it is in fact a very counterproductive attitude.

How do I stop hoplessness and trust Allah?

35 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

It's a question of belief and mindset. Ask yourself what the obstacles are, and what stops you from trusting Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

Well, I always think God is not satisfied with me because I, as a perfectionist, think that God wants me to be a prefect muslim, in order for Him to accept my duas. I am a human and I obviously make mistakes and that's why I almost think that there is no point in even trying to believe in dua because I cannot not make mistakes. It's complicated. and I don't know where to even begin in fixing this problem.

• Veteran Member
9 hours ago, Guest 123 said:

Well, I always think God is not satisfied with me because I, as a perfectionist, think that God wants me to be a prefect muslim, in order for Him to accept my duas. I am a human and I obviously make mistakes and that's why I almost think that there is no point in even trying to believe in dua because I cannot not make mistakes. It's complicated. and I don't know where to even begin in fixing this problem.

My friend, the problem is with our way of thinking, the way we have learnt to perceive reality. God is perfect, we do not understand. Indeed He makes decisions sometimes we believe are not good for us. Somewhat the way a parent may take away a gaming gadget from a child sometime. The child does not understand, but the parent knows. I will use parable again later. Sometimes some difficulty is exactly what a person needs to become greater, like only through burning and blows from a hammer does raw iron become tempered steel. So what can we do? First of, we need to change our attitude. The child what does it do? Does it abandon the parent? It has no choice and at least it understands that much. For a grown up of any belief I would recommend to adopt the "Glass half full" attitude to things in life. Instead of caring about "Glass half empty" a person should appreciate whatever amount is in there. Think positively. When we slowly begin to realize the things we have we will become grateful for them. A person should actively regulate and direct their thoughts, otherwise like a wild horse the thoughts can lead us somewhere we did not wish to be. "Does it help?" is the question we should ask at each little step in life we take. Does despair help? No. Does anxiety help? No. Does animosity toward the parent help the child? No. Start here. This is the change in the general attitude of one self is where to begin in fixing this problem. First change this attitude towards all things in life, not just prayers.

• Moderators
On 12/31/2020 at 4:12 PM, Guest 123 said:

I think your perspective is causing you these issues. We supplicate to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) because we consider Him and Him alone worthy of supplication. 

I don't think you should look at it as some sort of trade or exchange. It is up to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to accept our supplications or not. 

Furthermore He knows best and we must accept all outcomes, rather than only what we supplicated for. 

• Advanced Member

Even disbelievers have their prayers accepted sometimes, while believers might not get theirs accepted. All it really shows is that Allah doesn't view disbelievers as worthy of being tested.

Search for the famous story of how Allama Amini never got his foot injury healed, while a weak-faithed, rebellious man got his foot healed quickly.

• Advanced Member
On 11/13/2020 at 8:49 PM, Guest 123 said:

have lost faith in duas a long time ago but thought for i little while why not try them again. At this point I don't believe in duas or that God will give me what I want.

53:24.  Or  is  there  a  rule  that  man  shall  have  whatever  he  desires? 

• Advanced Member
On 11/14/2020 at 2:19 AM, Guest 123 said:

Duas doesn’t mean it will be accepted and many factors are to be considered, sometimes u don’t get what u want cause it bad for u other times ur problem is a test other times other things , many duas don’t get accepted for many people especially today 

Guest 123
4 hours ago, theEndIsNear said:

Duas doesn’t mean it will be accepted and many factors are to be considered, sometimes u don’t get what u want cause it bad for u other times ur problem is a test other times other things , many duas don’t get accepted for many people especially today 

Why especially today?