Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Religion gives me morals, not myself should I be concerned

Rate this topic

Okay so alhumdullilah when I was 17 I found the path of religion. However I’ve come to realise something, all my actions aren’t from myself. They are there to please God and because I fear God.

That means my morals are subjective, and I would say so, prior to becoming religious I was a bad kid and honestly if I didn’t find religion I’d probably be a degenerate. 

the issue is that religious views and values change over time, if my morals aren’t objective I could fall back to the same old habits I used to have as a kid. I made another post about how I’m losing spirituality and I feel like my old morals could slowly creep back in if I don’t learn how to create new objective morals. 

a lot of my morals are based on my culture of masculinity in my country where of course the men who bully there way into life have the best lives and are respected, I don’t adorn it but I feel it’s natural for me to go to that frame of mind aswell where oppressing and hurting people are part and parcel of life. 

help me become a good person I think I’m just insecure on my masculinity

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Guest SB9 said:

However I’ve come to realise something, all my actions aren’t from myself. They are there to please God and because I fear God.

Why is this a bad thing? Ultimately our goal should indeed be this, ie pleasing Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)

One who seeks to please Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) cannot at the same time oppress or be unjust. 

• Forum Administrators
On 11/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, Guest SB9 said:

a lot of my morals are based on my culture of masculinity in my country where of course the men who bully there way into life have the best lives and are respected, I don’t adorn it but I feel it’s natural for me to go to that frame of mind aswell where oppressing and hurting people are part and parcel of life. 

Depending on the circumstances, leading a moral life may be a passive (easy) or active (difficult) process. Adapt accordingly. Change your position to where you will have most success. Whether it’s where you work, your friends, your daily schedule, etc. Be crafty.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

One who seeks to please Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) cannot at the same time oppress or be unjust. 

Is that objectively true? Some of the most oppressive and unjust things have happened because they thought they were pleasing God by doing such acts.

The kkk for example lynch black people because they think God has ordained this. 

Salafi/wahabis seek to please Allah by "correcting" shia Muslims and bringing them to the "true Islam". In process denying shias the ability to practice their faith.  

• Advanced Member

Salams, 

On 11/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, Guest SB9 said:

the issue is that religious views and values change over time, if my morals aren’t objective I could fall back to the same old habits I used to have as a kid. I made another post about how I’m losing spirituality and I feel like my old morals could slowly creep back in if I don’t learn how to create new objective morals. 

Why not just use religion to create moral objectives, for example, make a list of the qualities or attributes you want engraved in you and everyday in the morning read them to yourself.

Example list;

• Anyone who needs help, I will help them (it could be anything, someone with groceries, someone who is stressed out etc.)
  • I will tell the truth today and not lie
  • I will be patient today and not let my anger out on anyone
  • I will be just to anyone I see today

If you do adopt this culture of masculinity, does it mean you will live a fruitful life? Just because something is customary does not mean it's the correct path, just because most males in that culture are bullies doesn't mean you should adopt it. When you travel to a new country or city or a new location, you need a guide. We're in this world and we need a guide. The Prophets and Imams (عليه السلام) are our guide sent by God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Take morals and implement them because they are the epitome of akhlaq and the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) is best among them.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Randle McMurphy said:

Is that objectively true? Some of the most oppressive and unjust things have happened because they thought they were pleasing God by doing such acts.

The kkk for example lynch black people because they think God has ordained this. 

Salafi/wahabis seek to please Allah by "correcting" shia Muslims and bringing them to the "true Islam". In process denying shias the ability to practice their faith.  

Claiming to please God and actually pleasing God are two different things. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has neither ordained lynching nor imposing one's beliefs on others. 

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Claiming to please God and actually pleasing God are two different things. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has neither ordained lynching nor imposing one's beliefs on others. 

LOL 

How do you know what God does or doesn't want?

Are you claiming God communicates with you? You do realise if you say yes, you would be technically calling yourself a prophet.

• Advanced Member

Doing things to please people will always fail. Doing things to please Allah is the ultimate success. After all...

وَمَا خَلَقۡتُ الۡجِنَّ وَالۡاِنۡسَ اِلَّا لِيَعۡبُدُوۡنِ
مَاۤ اُرِيۡدُ مِنۡهُمۡ مِّنۡ رِّزۡقٍ وَّمَاۤ اُرِيۡدُ اَنۡ يُّطۡعِمُوۡنِ‏

I created the jinn and humans for nothing else but to worship Me. 
I desire from them no provision, nor do I want them to feed Me.

Qur'an: Surah Adh-Dhuriyat (chapter 51), verses 56-57.

• Veteran Member
On 11/11/2020 at 2:25 AM, Mahdavist said:

How is Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). "pleased"?

ls this revealed?

• Advanced Member
On 11/10/2020 at 3:58 AM, Guest SB9 said:

Okay so alhumdullilah when I was 17 I found the path of religion. However I’ve come to realise something, all my actions aren’t from myself. They are there to please God and because I fear God

Jazakallah brother. Fear of Allah in the heart is a quality difficult to establish. 

On 11/10/2020 at 3:58 AM, Guest SB9 said:

Change is the law of nature. The Holy Prophet (SAWW) : "If your two consecutive days are similar then you are in a loss." 

So, change is natural and important. Just see whether this change is an improvement or degradation. You need to struggle in order to improve and for spiritual elevation. I can suggest you several things for a good change.

1. Daily Prayers on time

2. Recite the Qur'an (10 verses a day is sufficient) and contemplate upon it

3. Read Read Read. Iqra: For me, reading books brought a huge change, I would suggest you to read a spiritual book for now. 

https://www.al-islam.org/uswat-al-aarifeen-look-life-ayatullah-bahjat-yasin-t-al-jibouri

This book is spiritual and inspirational at the same time. So, you will have a role model to follow and also you will feel a spiritual change.

4. Dua/Supplication And Munajaat: Ask Allah what you need. It really works a 100%. Keep a sahifa e sajjadiya always with you or read a munajaat. This will save your time as duas in sahifa are short and will be extremely effective. Dua e Kumayl I would strong recommend if you can take out time, do read. It's not important to read it on friday nights but actually any time. 

5. Do Charity/Sadaqah. This will bring joy to you. Start with bismillah and after this, end with a note of shukr. 

Don't loose hope in Allah, Allah will help you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Okay so alhumdullilah when I was 17 I found the path of religion. However I’ve come to realise something, all my actions aren’t from myself. They are there to please God and because I fear God.

That means my morals are subjective, and I would say so, prior to becoming religious I was a bad kid and honestly if I didn’t find religion I’d probably be a degenerate. 

this is normal.

Belief in God is what gives someone morals.

if you dont belive in God and religion there is no point of having morals.

because you would not believe in an afterlife.

this is why today so many people do crime and haram.

cause they dont belive in god and the afterlife. if you dont believe in heaven and hell then whats the point of being a good person? 

this is the ni3ma of religion. 

• Veteran Member
On 11/10/2020 at 6:28 AM, Guest SB9 said:

Salam,

Our Islamic moral core values will not change.  But, our actions to execute those moral values will change/vary according to the scenarios that we are facing.

But,  how do we must know that our actions are pleasing God?  Witnessing and feel of inner peace.  Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will allow us to witness whether our actions translate in "pleasing Him ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى))".  He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will guide and response to anyone who seek the truth with the intention to please Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). It is just us who fails to see it.  Review our daily activities (last  24 hours) and try to witness how Allahbswt has helped, guided or warned us.  Surely we will witness the truth or whether we are pleasing Him or not.  We also will know when we loss control of ourself.  We learn to improve on daily basis and firm up our belief in Him.

On 11/13/2020 at 12:29 PM, Zainuu said:

Change is the law of nature. The Holy Prophet (SAWW) : "If your two consecutive days are similar then you are in a loss.

The above is a true statement from our Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

• Advanced Member

Without a Holy book no one has the objective right to make moral judgements, therefore, you should not be concerned in the sense that you are a 'bad' person because you need Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to tell you some things are wrong, rather be further convinced that it is only those who worship Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and abide by the objective guidance of the most merciful who can say with absolute certainty and clarity who and what is bad - with no quotations ;)

On 11/10/2020 at 3:28 AM, Guest SB9 said:

There is no other ways except obeying Allah (s) or obeying satan. If you show back to one you are bowing before other. 

About morals if you are confused about it. See the act which is being called has good effect or bad effect. If it has good effect, it is moral otherwise not. Morals do not change like wisdom. Some things are universal truth like water who is same since eternity.