Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Eating Food with Zoroastrians

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Salam, 

I found an interesting statement in the following saheeh narration:. 

مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ الْحَكَمِ عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ يَحْيَى الْكَاهِلِيِّ قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع عَنْ قَوْمٍ مُسْلِمِينَ يَأْكُلُونَ وَ حَضَرَهُمْ رَجُلٌ مَجُوسِيٌّ أَ يَدْعُونَهُ إِلَى طَعَامِهِمْ فَقَالَ أَمَّا أَنَا فَلَا أُؤَاكِلُ الْمَجُوسِيَّ وَ أَكْرَهُ أَنْ أُحَرِّمَ عَلَيْكُمْ شَيْئاً تَصْنَعُونَهُ فِي بِلَادِكُمْ 

Abd Allah ibn Yahya al-Kahiliy has said the following: “I once asked abu ‘Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about the case of a Muslim people who take food and a Zoroastrian man comes to them; if they can invite him for food. He (the Imam) said, ‘I do not eat food with Zoroastrians and I dislike making unlawful for you what you do in your lands.’”

Here are a few important points: 

1. The Imam (عليه السلام) is indicating that he has the authority to make an act unlawful. He has the option to do so. But in this case, he refrains from doing so. It is not the case that he merely transmits rulings from the prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). The Imam (عليه السلام) can legislate new laws and make something illegal. 
  2. An Imam (عليه السلام) choosing to not do something does not make that something illegal (or Haram). So, it may be better to emulate them, but not emulating them is an option, and it is not illegal for us to do what they chose to not do. 
  3. The Imam (عليه السلام) respects (or tolerates) the traditions of people in other lands. He dislikes forbidding cultural traditions in other lands. 
  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

The Imam (عليه السلام) can legislate new laws and make something illegal. 

Salam Imam (عليه السلام) can't legislate new laws or make something illegal outside laws that is  legislated  by holy Quran & prophet Muhammad (pbu)  that according letter of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) to Malik Ashtar (رضي الله عنه) about treating with culture of people of Egypt , Imam (عليه السلام) wrote to him that he must respect to pre Islamic culture & tradition of people of Egypt (or any people like Zoroastrians in this hadith) until their culture & tradition is not against Islamic principles. 

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam Imam (عليه السلام) can't legislate new laws or make something illegal outside laws that is  legislated  by holy Quran & prophet Muhammad (pbu)  that according letter of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) to Malik Ashtar (رضي الله عنه) about treating with culture of people of Egypt , Imam (عليه السلام) wrote to him that he must respect to pre Islamic culture & tradition of people of Egypt (or any people like Zoroastrians in this hadith) until their culture & tradition is not against Islamic principles. 

Salam brother,

That's not what the wording of the narration indicates. What the imam (عليه السلام) is very clear: 

أَكْرَهُ أَنْ أُحَرِّمَ عَلَيْكُمْ

"I hate making unlawful upon you"

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Did Imam Sadeq (عليه السلام) actually intermingle with Zoroastrians while living in Hijaz or Iraq? 

I feel those narrations come out of nowhere. 

Wa Alaikom As-Salam, 

The narration is clear that he (عليه السلام) does not eat food with them. 

Here are a couple more saheeh narrations: 

1. Ali ibn Ja‘far from his brother abu al-Hassan, Musa, ‘Alayhi al-Salam,  has said the following: “I once asked abu al-Hassan, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about eating with a Zoroastrian in a bowl and sleeping with him on one furnishing and shaking hands with him. He (the Imam) said, ‘No.’”
  2. Harun ibn Kharijah has said the following:
    “I once asked abu ‘Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, if I can associate with Zoroastrians and eat from their food. He (the Imam) said, ‘No.’”
  • Veteran Member
17 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

Wa Alaikom As-Salam, 

The narration is clear that he (عليه السلام) does not eat food with them. 

Here are a couple more saheeh narrations: 

1. Ali ibn Ja‘far from his brother abu al-Hassan, Musa, ‘Alayhi al-Salam,  has said the following: “I once asked abu al-Hassan, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about eating with a Zoroastrian in a bowl and sleeping with him on one furnishing and shaking hands with him. He (the Imam) said, ‘No.’”
  2. Harun ibn Kharijah has said the following:
    “I once asked abu ‘Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, if I can associate with Zoroastrians and eat from their food. He (the Imam) said, ‘No.’”

Looks like they are not so Ahl Al Kitab... 

• Veteran Member
29 minutes ago, realizm said:

Looks like they are not so Ahl Al Kitab... 

From the aforementioned narrations, we can't necessarily conclude that.

Here are three more saheeh narrations:

1. `Isma‘il ibn Jabir has said the following: “I once asked abu ‘Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about the people of the book and what he (the Imam) says about their food. He (the Imam) said, ‘Do not eat it.’ He (the Imam) then remained quiet then said, ‘Do not eat it’ He (the Imam) then remained quiet then said, ‘Do not eat it and do not leave it. Say that it is unlawful, however, you can leave to abstain thereof because in their utensils there is wine and flesh of pigs.’”
  2.  Muhammad ibn Muslim has said the following: “I once asked abu Ja‘far, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about the utensils of the non-Muslim taxpayer and Zoroastrians. He (the Imam) said, ‘Do not eat in their utensils or from their food which they cook or in the utensils that they use for drinking wine.’”
  3. Isibn al-Qasim has said the following: “I once asked abu ‘Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about eating with the Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians. He (the Imam) said, ‘If the food belongs to you then make wudu (wash) and eat with them; it is not unlawful.’”

I highlighted a few keywords.