Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why is the name Allah limited to Islam

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Claims made by Muslims:

1. Allah sent Prophets to all nations (mentioned in Quran)

2. 124,000 prophets were sent to mankind (popular hadith)

3. All Prophets came with the same message.

4. Muslims claim the pure message sent by Allah was eventually distorted by human beings, thus the differences in religion.

5. "Allah" is supposed to be the all comprehenseive name of God.

Question, why is the name of God "Allah" not found throughout human history? It doesn't make sense that Allah would introduce himself with different names to different nations?

• Advanced Member

Allah is Arabic word for GOD. 

It's not limited to Islam. Arab Christians call GOD as Allah too. It's more often used in Islam because Quran is in Arabic and hence most Muslims use it. 

Edited by Hassu93
  • Veteran Member

Allah (/ˈælə, ˈɑːlə, əˈlɑː/;[1][2] Arabic: ١ّللَه‎, romanized: Allāh, IPA: [ʔaɫ.ɫaːh] (listen)) is the Arabic word for God in Abrahamic religions. In the English language, the word generally refers to God in Islam.[3][4][5] The word is thought to be derived by contraction from al-ilāh, which means "the god", and is linguistically related to El (Elohim) and Elah, the Hebrew and Aramaic words for God.[6][7]

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Hassu93 said:

It's not limited to Islam. Arab Christians call GOD as Allah too. It's more often used in Islam because Quran is in Arabic and hence most Muslims use it. 

Let me rephrase my question... why does God not introduce Himself with a single name throughout human history?

• Veteran Member

Did you read this, from the atheism post?

What is the root from which the word Allah is derived?" The Imam replied, "O Hisham, the word Allah is derived from ’ilah, that is, the One Who is worshipped and the One who is worshipped is supposed to be worth worshipping. The name of Allah is different from His Own self. Whoever worships the name not the meaning has become a heathen and has, in fact, worshipped nothing. Whoever worships the name and its meaning jointly, he becomes a polytheist because of worshipping two gods. Whoever worships the meaning of the word Allah only he, in reality, has worshipped the One Allah (God). O Hisham, did you grasp it?"

Hisham requested, "Kindly enlighten me more." The Imam added, "Allah has ninety-nine names. If each name had a separate meaning then each meaning would have been a god. Allah is One only and all His names stand for just One reality and all these names are other than Allah Himself. O Hisham, bread is the name of something to eat. Water is the name of something to drink. Dress is the name of something to wear on. Fire is the name of something that burns. O Hisham, did you fully grasp the point so you can defend your belief and contest successfully against our opponents, who, along with Allah, the Exalted, the Great, except things other than Him?" Hisham replied, "Yes, I did understand." The Imam said, "O Hisham, may Allah benefit you thereby and grant you steadfastness." Hisham (the narrator) says, "I swear by Allah, no one has ever defeated me on the issue of the Oneness of Allah until now."” - Kitab al Kafi H 310, Ch. 16, h 2

• Veteran Member
1 minute ago, khamosh21 said:

Let me rephrase my question... why does God not introduce Himself with a single name throughout human history?

Because people would start worshipping the name rather than the meaning (read the above hadith).

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, 313_Waiter said:

Because people would start worshipping the name rather than the meaning (read the above hadith).

i read the hadith... the hadith just tells you not to worship the name, it doesn't at all explain why God doesn't introduce Himself as the same being through history...

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, khamosh21 said:

why does God not introduce Himself with a single name throughout human history?

قُلِ ادْعُواْ اللّهَ أَوِ ادْعُواْ الرَّحْمَـنَ أَيًّا مَّا تَدْعُواْ فَلَهُ الأَسْمَاء الْحُسْنَى 

17:110 Say: "Invoke Allah, or invoke the Most Gracious: by whichever name you invoke Him, [He is always the One-for] His are all the attributes of perfection.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, khamosh21 said:

Because multiple languages exists. And we shouldn't restrict God to one particular language 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Hassu93 said:

Because multiple languages exists. And we shouldn't restrict God to one particular language 

I simply do not see how this answers the question.

Let's look at it another way.

Would you agree that Muslim act of salaat/namaaz, done 5 times daily is essential to the soul and our spiritual success? No salaat = spiritual failure?

And that salaat is just as essential to every human soul's spiritual success, regardless of who they are or what they believe in, or where they live?

Prior to Islam, were the souls of human beings different to the souls of human beings that were born after Islam?

If salaat is essential to every soul, than this form sure should have been taught by all prophets, it would be unjust for God to not give this act to other human beings and nations prior to Islam.

If salaat is not essential to spiritual success, than what purpose does it serve and why is described as such?

If the argument is that God prescribed each nation and Prophet with their own forms of worship which were equivalent to salaat, why is this the case? why couldn't all nations receive the same form of worship? If the message is the same, God is the same, the source is the same, than certainly those things essential to the success of a soul should be the same?

Is there any direct evidence which supports the argument that every nation was sent a Prophet? Saying there are similarities between religions is not direct evidence, this is a logical fallacy, I can't remember which one. The similarities are much like similarities in all man made things. It's like saying because all human beings at some point believed the sun revolved around the earth, this must have been some divine message as well.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, khamosh21 said:

Question, why is the name of God "Allah" not found throughout human history? It doesn't make sense that Allah would introduce himself with different names to different nations?

He can be named by absolutely any name, so long as it is the "best of names", which includes among others, Allah. His names emphasize, evoke or describe certain of His attributes and the ways He interracts with the universe. He therefore isnt restricted to any name or any number of names and all the scholars agree that Allah's names are unlimited so long as they are the best.

Further reading

Apostate prophet seeks the true God; should He be feared?

Apostate prophet in search of God; what is the divine name?

Apostate prophet finds the true YHWH; Allah is the biblical God? 

4. Muslims claim the pure message sent by Allah was eventually distorted by human beings, thus the differences in religion.

Regardless of what the Quran says, their own scriptures, that of the Jews state that most of their religious laws came down as a punishment. With the Quran, the divine law was restored to its original simplicity.

More info there

Apostate prophet to Muslim cooks; strict Islamic dietary laws?

Apostate prophet uncovers reality of sharia; a soulful purification?

Apostate prophet rejects abrogation; the Torah supersedes previous revelations?

1. Allah sent Prophets to all nations

It doesn't say all nations as in every town and village on the surface of the earth. 

See there

Acts17apologetics mixed up in Quranic web; Did Muhammad's people receive warners or not?

It is interesting to note that the Talmud speaks of hundreds of thousands, even millions of other prophets without naming them all and whose stories are omitted from the Tanakh because of the limited impact of their mission as compared to those chosen to be included in it. In the Tanakh itself, an allusion is often made of "prophets" without naming them, living and performing, alongside other prominent prophets.

The Israelites, from their corrupt leaders and doctors of Law down to the populace are known for having pursued and persecuted, rejected, mocked, slandered, imprisonned, physically assaulted or even killed the prophets sent to them and telling them to adhere to their own books. Meaning there could have been many more by their own standards. 

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Hassu93 said:

Yep, but even God is also only the English word for Theos, El, Dios and Lah. All of these words etymologically mean the same thing. The word "God" is the more newest of all of these terms, ironically.

People in general are too Eurocentric, to West-centric to even think about this. It's quite silly. 

Edited by al-Muttaqin
  • Advanced Member
21 hours ago, khamosh21 said:

Claims made by Muslims:

1. Allah sent Prophets to all nations (mentioned in Quran)

3. All Prophets came with the same message.

5. "Allah" is supposed to be the all comprehenseive name of God.

#4 is understood incorrectly by many Muslims.  The differences between religions are not primarily due to corruption.  They are actually intended to be different (sort of like different paths up to the same Mountain Peak).

It is natural for any religion to become less pure over time (the farther it moves away from the the initial inception of revelation from Heaven).  Even Islam is becoming less pure than before.  But this doesn’t mean that Islam nor all of the previous religions have become invalid.  The proof for this within Islam is shockingly very simple and frequently overlooked:  People of the Book have rights to practice their respective religion and to be judged by their own Book!  

for example:

I am of the belief that Sunni Islam is more pure than Shia Islam (but this doesn’t make Shia Islam completely invalid).  :furious:

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

#4 is understood incorrectly by many Muslims.  The differences between religions are not primarily due to corruption.  They are actually intended to be different (sort of like different paths up to the same Mountain Peak).

It is natural for any religion to become less pure over time (the farther it moves away from the the initial inception of revelation from Heaven).  Even Islam is becoming less pure than before.  But this doesn’t mean that Islam nor all of the previous religions have become invalid.  The proof for this within Islam is shockingly very simple and frequently overlooked:  People of the Book have rights to practice their respective religion and to be judged by their own Book!  

for example:

I am of the belief that Sunni Islam is more pure than Shia Islam (but this doesn’t make Shia Islam completely invalid).  :furious:

Prove it

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

for example:

So pure the salaf had the most Muslims killed in any period of history, so pure one Madhab allows drinking, one allows the eating of dogs, one doesn’t allow questioning of anything, and all the Sunni madhabs takfir Ed each other

• Veteran Member
On 11/2/2020 at 8:55 AM, khamosh21 said:

Not so. He -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). has never revealed a name.

Ref: Exodus 3:14 "I am Who am."

"Allah" = al Lah => "the God"/"the Lord"

For the word 'god', see:  https://www.etymonline.com/word/god/     derives from the German "gott."

Edited by hasanhh
link correction
  • Advanced Member
On 11/2/2020 at 1:55 PM, khamosh21 said:

It's likely that He may have. The sound La comes from the deepest part of the throat. It's also been proven to very soothing. The word lulaby comes from the sound mother's use to sooth babies "la, la, la "

Buddhist have a a whole method of meditation/ prayer based in saying laaa with pauses and a deep breath in between.

La ilaha illallah

But even if he didn't so what,

the final message is for all humanity, previous rules and messages were abrogated by Allah

He also goes by many names in Qur'an.

Edited by Warilla
  • Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Labbayka said:

So pure the salaf had the most Muslims killed in any period of history, so pure one Madhab allows drinking, one allows the eating of dogs, one doesn’t allow questioning of anything, and all the Sunni madhabs takfir Ed each other

Too much fanaticism.  Can’t read further.  

• Advanced Member
On 11/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, eThErEaL said:

for example:

So in other words pluralism?