Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What happens if you don't listen to your istikhara?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam alaikum,

I haven't posted anything for a very long time so I really would like someone to address this.

So basically for the past month i have been really contemplating on changing the course that I am in, since my undergraduate degree does not promise a job or anything unless you acquire further study and do a master degree. The course also doesn't give any work experience. However, when I did istikhara (three times), I would get a similar response which i really do not understand. 

I did istikhara by reading a dua and then opening the Quran to a random chapter and counting seven pages  which was surat al nur. The verse explained something along the lines of sin and punishment so i was confused and repeated it again later. The same surah came again and another verse came up which was quite similar. Then finally the next day i did istikhara for the final time, which is the istikhara of Imam Ali where you open the quran and count 7 pages and look at the seventh line at the first letter of the verse. The letter turned out to be wow and when I looked it up it meant that 'good news will come'. So I took that as initiative that now is not the right time to change your course (which i was planning to next year).

I honestly am very confused at this point because I know was very sincere in my istikhara and asked Allah to give me a sign if where I'm heading is the right direction for me, because I've already done my research about the course and it got to a point where I am still very indecisive. I've heard stories of people who have done istikhara in terms of marriage for example, some of them came out as positive, but it never worked out between them because the guy was crap. So I don't understand how istikhara works because sometimes the answer you get would either make your life easier or harder.

Also living in a Western society is difficult for a hijabi in terms of employment. The city I live in has low job rates so that makes things more difficult. 

Do you have to listen to what response you get from istikhara and if you don't, will your life be doomed? Also one thing I like to add is that my parents have been pressuring me for some time about pursuing medicine which I know I don't want to, they have finally stopped due to my mental state, and they think I'd be wasting my time if I chose a different pathway.

Fee amanillah

• Advanced Member

Salam,

Istikhara is usually the last resort in a BIG decision after all resources have been exhausted such as weighing out the pros/cons, and talking to an expert. If you still have doubts there then Istikhara is to be done. 

However, one should be careful in performing this act by themselves, as there is a risk of confusion. Try contacting your local shiekh who understands the Quran a bit better. 

Here's my opinion on your situation, no Istikhara needed:

Firstly, what is the reason behind going to Uni/college? Yes, the purpose of education is to expand your knowledge, but the main purpose is to receive educate education in your field of interest so you can secure a decent job after you graduate. Education is a form of investment that enables you to invest in yourself, which down the road will enable you to gain value from it... this may be short term, or long term value. Now, you have added that this course is only useful if you continue your education towards a masters degree... this is only an issue if you a) don't like your program b) don't have the time or c) don't have the money. Reason A is the only scenario you can't really work around, so if you do not like your program , you should drop out and seek a program you are passionate about and can see yourself working in after graduate. At the end of the day, depending on your city, finding a job after graduation is hard anyways..... you should try to gain some experience though cooperative education , work, or through volunteering. But do keep in mind regardless of whatever course you take, securing a job after graduation is entirely on ones onus. You can be a person with a medical degree, but with no connections, a bad resume, and no peoples skill it may be hard to land a decent job. 

Also, at the end of the day, if continuing this course even with a masters degree does not land you a decent job, than you should consider either consider applying to jobs out of your city, or thinking of ways you can secure a decent job after graduation ( this could be dropping this program, or adding on certifications ). 

This is just my experience from life, please consult an expert such as a guidance councillor or experts in that field. I don't think Istikhara is really needed for this as their are multiple factors to consider, and this can easily be determined by talking to experts or a guidance councillor. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, YoungSkiekh313 said:

Salam,

Istikhara is usually the last resort in a BIG decision after all resources have been exhausted such as weighing out the pros/cons, and talking to an expert. If you still have doubts there then Istikhara is to be done. 

However, one should be careful in performing this act by themselves, as there is a risk of confusion. Try contacting your local shiekh who understands the Quran a bit better. 

Here's my opinion on your situation, no Istikhara needed:

Firstly, what is the reason behind going to Uni/college? Yes, the purpose of education is to expand your knowledge, but the main purpose is to receive educate education in your field of interest so you can secure a decent job after you graduate. Education is a form of investment that enables you to invest in yourself, which down the road will enable you to gain value from it... this may be short term, or long term value. Now, you have added that this course is only useful if you continue your education towards a masters degree... this is only an issue if you a) don't like your program b) don't have the time or c) don't have the money. Reason A is the only scenario you can't really work around, so if you do not like your program , you should drop out and seek a program you are passionate about and can see yourself working in after graduate. At the end of the day, depending on your city, finding a job after graduation is hard anyways..... you should try to gain some experience though cooperative education , work, or through volunteering. But do keep in mind regardless of whatever course you take, securing a job after graduation is entirely on ones onus. You can be a person with a medical degree, but with no connections, a bad resume, and no peoples skill it may be hard to land a decent job. 

Also, at the end of the day, if continuing this course even with a masters degree does not land you a decent job, than you should consider either consider applying to jobs out of your city, or thinking of ways you can secure a decent job after graduation ( this could be dropping this program, or adding on certifications ). 

This is just my experience from life, please consult an expert such as a guidance councillor or experts in that field. I don't think Istikhara is really needed for this as their are multiple factors to consider, and this can easily be determined by talking to experts or a guidance councillor. 

Thankyou so much for this post. It helped me alot 

Guest Muntazir
On 10/31/2020 at 11:36 AM, 3wliya_maryam said:

Salam alaikum,

I haven't posted anything for a very long time so I really would like someone to address this.

So basically for the past month i have been really contemplating on changing the course that I am in, since my undergraduate degree does not promise a job or anything unless you acquire further study and do a master degree. The course also doesn't give any work experience. However, when I did istikhara (three times), I would get a similar response which i really do not understand. 

I did istikhara by reading a dua and then opening the Quran to a random chapter and counting seven pages  which was surat al nur. The verse explained something along the lines of sin and punishment so i was confused and repeated it again later. The same surah came again and another verse came up which was quite similar. Then finally the next day i did istikhara for the final time, which is the istikhara of Imam Ali where you open the quran and count 7 pages and look at the seventh line at the first letter of the verse. The letter turned out to be wow and when I looked it up it meant that 'good news will come'. So I took that as initiative that now is not the right time to change your course (which i was planning to next year).

I honestly am very confused at this point because I know was very sincere in my istikhara and asked Allah to give me a sign if where I'm heading is the right direction for me, because I've already done my research about the course and it got to a point where I am still very indecisive. I've heard stories of people who have done istikhara in terms of marriage for example, some of them came out as positive, but it never worked out between them because the guy was crap. So I don't understand how istikhara works because sometimes the answer you get would either make your life easier or harder.

Also living in a Western society is difficult for a hijabi in terms of employment. The city I live in has low job rates so that makes things more difficult. 

Do you have to listen to what response you get from istikhara and if you don't, will your life be doomed? Also one thing I like to add is that my parents have been pressuring me for some time about pursuing medicine which I know I don't want to, they have finally stopped due to my mental state, and they think I'd be wasting my time if I chose a different pathway.

Fee amanillah

I'm no cleric but I think ordinary people like us should use their brain instead then istekhara. Because, in my opinion, istekhara is like dua, the more pious you are, the more accurate the results. And, also the interpretation may vary because of intellectual difference. For example: It may seem in Istekhara that marry such person. The person may turn out to be a crap but he will have a noble children or noble remote generations. It may also say do not marry. And by that it could be its not right time to marry but a person may indefinitely refuse him.