Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Was ibn Ishaq a Shia or sunni? I need some sunni and Shia tafsir too.

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salam aleykum brothers and sisters.

Do you know if ibn Ishaq was a shia or sunni?

Because I thought that ibn Ishaq was a sunni, but then I read herehttp://www.answering-christian-claims.com/The-Problems-With-Ibn-Ishaq.htmlthat he was a shia and not reliable according to the sunni. I spoke to someone about the satanic verses. Ibn Ishaq wrote things about that too. I said that the sirat of ibn Ishaq isn't reliable. Now I am just confused. If ibn Ishaq his books are used by the shia, how can I defend the so called Satanic verses? Are those reports about the Satanic verses non-authentic? 

and I speak with a ex-Muslim about the tafsir of surah 9. He said that Ibn Ishaq his tafsir was that the Muslims attacked the non-muslim. I really need tafsir of sunni and shia that the Muslims were the ones that needed to protect themselves from the non muslims. I gave them some Quran verses that the non-Muslims broke their peace treaty. I have not yet been able to convince them because of the tafsir of ibn Kathir. I showed them the tafsir of ayatollah Mahdi Pooya. This guy knew him personally and he says that he isn't reliable. Can you help me out with these things? thank you?

• Moderators

There are a few different points you have raised in your post.

Regarding ibn Ishaq, I am not aware of him ever being considered as a Shi'i. It's true that the famous sunni muhadditheen avoided narrating from him but I don't think this was due to his aqidah, rather due to limitations or a lack of chains of narration. 

As for Shia tafaseer, you can refer to tafseer Al Qummi, tafseer Al Ayyashi, Al Tibyan or Majma al Bayan, among other works. I believe most of these are available on shiaonlinelibrary or other similar websites. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members
On 10/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, Mahdavist said:

There are a few different points you have raised in your post.

Regarding ibn Ishaq, I am not aware of him ever being considered as a Shi'i. It's true that the famous sunni muhadditheen avoided narrating from him but I don't think this was due to his aqidah, rather due to limitations or a lack of chains of narration. 

As for Shia tafaseer, you can refer to tafseer Al Qummi, tafseer Al Ayyashi, Al Tibyan or Majma al Bayan, among other works. I believe most of these are available on shiaonlinelibrary or other similar websites. 

salam aleykum. I am sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for your answer.