Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I can't identify as Muslim anymore...

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I still believe in Allah, the Prophet Muhammad (s), the Angels, and the Day of Resurrection. 

So no, I'm obviously still a Muslim. 

I mean the political community of Islam. I can't believe in that anymore. I don't want to be a part of this "nation", I don't care for associating myself with nationalities, political ideologies, things that fit within the Islamicate. As such, I don't really care for any of it anymore. 

I go online a lot, and people purposely conflate the cultural with the religious. They make God look like their own foolish, bigoted fathers. Even the libs are just like the conservatives, seeing worship and faith as just following some silly rules and rituals. They can't see the forest through the trees. And what's worse they refuse to. 

I'm tired of having to feel responsible for the ridiculousness of misognystic men that I've never met, of countries with laws like Pakistan that I've never been to. I don't obsess over what's going on in the Middle East at all, or at least as much as any other region of the world that's also going through its own troubles (that everyone seems to forget). I don't care about starting up a new Caliphate, or any kind of islamic politic. I just wanna focus on my own relationship with God, and deal with my own [Edited Out]. 

Sorry for the edgy title, but it's the Internet after all. 

• Advanced Member
48 minutes ago, BleedKnee said:

I still believe in Allah, the Prophet Muhammad (s), the Angels, and the Day of Resurrection. 

I mean the political community of Islam. I can't believe in that anymore. I don't want to be a part of this "nation", I don't care for associating myself with nationalities, political ideologies, things that fit within the Islamicate. As such, I don't really care for any of it anymore. 

I go online a lot, and people purposely conflate the cultural with the religious. They make God look like their own foolish, bigoted fathers. Even the libs are just like the conservatives, seeing worship and faith as just following some silly rules and rituals. They can't see the forest through the trees. And what's worse they refuse to. 

I'm tired of having to feel responsible for the ridiculousness of misognystic men that I've never met, of countries with laws like Pakistan that I've never been to. I don't obsess over what's going on in the Middle East at all, or at least as much as any other region of the world that's also going through its own troubles (that everyone seems to forget). I don't care about starting up a new Caliphate, or any kind of islamic politic. I just wanna focus on my own relationship with God, and deal with my own [Edited Out]. 

As long as you're sincere in your Muslim Faith, then I think that's all that matters!! 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
3 hours ago, BleedKnee said:

I feel you to an extent, it's alienating to those of us who aren't from the Middle East or of Arabic heritage. I don't obsess over what happens in the Middle East aside from every now and then calling my elected representatives and telling them that I would really appreciate if we'd stop fighting wars in the middle east & would bring our troops home to guard the actual homeland like they are supposed to rather than projecting our military might outward. You know why? Because I can't do anything about it. I'm a working class American, the political class doesn't care a lick about what I think and they've made that abundantly clear for the past forty years. How I vote (or don't vote because I'm no longer allowed to) doesn't matter, our votes aren't even counted. The only people who matter in America and the West are the financial capitalist class that work for companies like Citigroup and Goldman-Sachs. Quite literally nobody, not Donald Trump and certainly not Joe Biden, care about what a window installer from Southwest Florida thinks. They wouldn't listen to anything I had to say if I was an inch in front of their face telling them to normalize relations with Iran. The working class American effectively has no political representation anymore-- it's not our country; it's theirs. Our job is to shut up, go to work, and spend money on the garbage that they want to sell us in order to keep the economy going.

Another thing I don't do is obsess over the existence of Israel and "Zionism". Nothing I could do will ever change the fact that Israel exists and that America is firmly in the pocket of the Israeli lobby. There is never going to be a US president or representatives who are going to tell Israel to stop doing what they do and they will certainly never stop spending American tax dollars on Israel regardless of the cost to the working class taxpayers in America. Again, there isn't a blessed thing I can do about it, so there is absolutely zero point in obsessing over it because all it will do is bum me out and make me depressed that nothing is ever going to change.

I feel a lot like you do. I don't engage in any of the cultural practices that are oftentimes conflated with "being Muslim" just because that's how someone's father told them that this is how it's supposed to be. For instance: I don't wear a thobe, I currently only have facial hair on my chin, I don't have a halal store to shop at, I don't go to the masjid because it's full of very pushy Sunni brothers who are wholeheartedly convinced that it's more important to imitate The Prophet (عليه السلام) in all of the superficial aspects of his life (what side of his body he slept on, the length of his facial hair, how he sat, so on and so forth) rather than the actual utmost important ones of his relationship with Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), his character, and how he treated others (which is what I actually try to imitate). I just focus on my relationship with and to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), my relationship to the Ahlul Bayt and I try to treat others the way that The Prophet (عليه السلام) would have.

I want to encourage you though. So much of what we are told is Islam comes from cultural practices and not the religion itself. It's best to not focus on those things and to keep striving for a deeper relationship with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and a better imitation of the character of The Prophet Muhammad (عليه السلام). Don't let people confuse you as to what's really important even though they mean well, because they aren't going to be able to help you on Judgement Day. Love them regardless and treat them like Muhammad (عليه السلام) would have while remembering that we are all human beings and none of us can even really begin to comprehend Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and we're just doing the best we can.

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I feel you to an extent, it's alienating to those of us who aren't from the Middle East or of Arabic heritage. I don't obsess over what happens in the Middle East aside from every now and then calling my elected representatives and telling them that I would really appreciate if we'd stop fighting wars in the middle east & would bring our troops home to guard the actual homeland like they are supposed to rather than projecting our military might outward. You know why? Because I can't do anything about it. I'm a working class American, the political class doesn't care a lick about what I think and they've made that abundantly clear for the past forty years. How I vote (or don't vote because I'm no longer allowed to) doesn't matter, our votes aren't even counted. The only people who matter in America and the West are the financial capitalist class that work for companies like Citigroup and Goldman-Sachs. Quite literally nobody, not Donald Trump and certainly not Joe Biden, care about what a window installer from Southwest Florida thinks. They wouldn't listen to anything I had to say if I was an inch in front of their face telling them to normalize relations with Iran. The working class American effectively has no political representation anymore-- it's not our country; it's theirs. Our job is to shut up, go to work, I want to encourage you though. So much of what we are told is Islam comes from cultural practices and not the religion itself. It's best to not focus on those things and to keep striving for a deeper relationship with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and a better imitation of the character of The Prophet Muhammad (عليه السلام). Don't let people confuse you as to what's really important even though they mean well, because they aren't going to be able to help you on Judgement Day. Love them regardless and treat them like Muhammad (عليه السلام) would have while remembering that we are all human beings and none of us can even really begin to comprehend Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and we're just doing the best we can.

Appreciate that thanks. 

• Moderators

The problem with this thinking is that if everyone did the same thing as you and stopped identifying as muslim, the only people left identifying as muslims would be the one's you wanted to disassociate from. 

On the contrary it's important that you continue to identify yourself as a muslim without adapting the cultural and political deviations that have become so common. 

• Veteran Member
10 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

The problem with this thinking is that if everyone did the same thing as you and stopped identifying as muslim, the only people left identifying as muslims would be the one's you wanted to disassociate from. 

On the contrary it's important that you continue to identify yourself as a muslim without adapting the cultural and political deviations that have become so common. 

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

• Advanced Member
On 10/26/2020 at 10:11 PM, BleedKnee said:

I just wanna focus on my own relationship with God,

My understanding of your post is that you want to dissasociate yourself from the Islamic community (ummah?) and plow your own furrow.  Do your own Islamic thing.  Is that really possible? Isn't Islam about community?

What will / does your 'own' indiviual relationship with God look like - how do you experess it and experience it? 

As a Follower of Jesus, I believe that God has called me to be part of his family, adopted as his son.  That means I have to live with other family members.  Part of my relationship with God involves praying, worshiping and serving God with others.  I have experienced God helping me to do this, with the most unlikely people, by the power of His Spirit living in me.