Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can I shop at a supermarket where they advertise Halloween?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam,

my local Lidl has been putting on Halloween displays, I’m pretty sure it’s a marketing thing but what is the permissiblity of shopping at such places? I know we are allowed to sell stuff to mushrikeen etc but what about purchasing? I just did my shopping there

• Advanced Member
12 minutes ago, guest 2025 said:

Unfortunately I don't know, maybe go to a different store to be safe or send an email to Sistani. But if you do something wrong while not knowing, then you didn't do anything haram. 

Should I throw away all the food I bought

• Advanced Member
22 minutes ago, Labbayka said:

It's very good that you take halal/haram that seriously, you will be compensated for your sensitivity (if you want to take this further, look into makruh/mustahab rulings). Since you don't know if it's halal or haram yet, the food is okay. Until you get that response from the office, it is okay and you didn't do anything wrong. And I hope it is okay because my arabic grocery store puts up halloween decorations.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
3 hours ago, Labbayka said:

I wouldn't. At the very worst donate it to a homeless shelter or a church, but do not throw food away unless the food itself is spoiled. There are millions of people around the world who could eat that food for their daily meal. Throwing it away when you could give it to someone in need sounds like it would be a sin.

• Forum Administrators
4 hours ago, Labbayka said:

I know we are allowed to sell stuff to mushrikeen etc but what about purchasing?

Take this to its logical conclusion and you'll only be able to shop at stores which don't sell alcohol and other forbidden goods. There won't be many stores left for you to shop at.

• Advanced Member

My friend, why do you think Halloween is for the mushrikeen?

5 hours ago, Labbayka said:

Salam,

my local Lidl has been putting on Halloween displays, I’m pretty sure it’s a marketing thing but what is the permissiblity of shopping at such places? I know we are allowed to sell stuff to mushrikeen etc but what about purchasing? I just did my shopping there

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Labbayka said:

I wouldn't do that. That is called Tathbeer 

I mean no disrespect but those who do tathbeer are the brothers of the shayateen. When you throw away ni'mat Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) Allah becomes angry with you and your ni'mah becomes less and less. So please don't throw away your food. not only is it a waste of food but also a waste of money too. If you have the receipt use that to return the food that you bought, that way you don't waste food or money. Its a win-win :clap::cuddle:

3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Take this to its logical conclusion and you'll only be able to shop at stores which don't sell alcohol and other forbidden goods. There won't be many stores left for you to shop at.

First things first, Islam is not supposed to be a burden. At least that's what I was told by brothers and sisters on this very forum.

I don't shop at halal stores because there aren't any around me; the closest one would be up in the major city like 40 miles away. So to remedy that and accommodate my mother's dietary choices, I just don't eat meat often (maybe less than once a month) or drink alcohol (I quit drinking long before I had arrived at Islam). More often than not, I just eat vegetarian meals (lots of beans and pasta and rice. I also eat eggs and dairy). I don't eat things with pork-based flavoring (such as pork ramen or baked beans with bacon flavoring) Besides, most of the people where I live are Christians and the food of the People of the Book isn't haram. Grocery stores in Florida sell beer and wine, but I know for a fact that I'm not the only Muslim that does his shopping there because I've seen the other Muslims I know shopping there-- the simple solution is to simply not buy or drink any alcohol, and check your more processed foods to make sure there are no pork-derived flavorings in it. Halal is starting to be treated in the same way that Kosher certification is (you can check foods for a Halal certification marking and more of them are having one as time goes on)

Guest Gamila
3 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

It's very good that you take halal/haram that seriously, you will be compensated for your sensitivity (if you want to take this further, look into makruh/mustahab rulings). Since you don't know if it's halal or haram yet, the food is okay. Until you get that response from the office, it is okay and you didn't do anything wrong. And I hope it is okay because my arabic grocery store puts up halloween decorations.

how is this positive? This is too much! It sounds more like weswas of shaytan. Allah gave ud a brain to think. Use it and you’ll find your answer.

16 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Question: Is it permissible to buy meat thinking that it is slaughtered according to Islamic laws from a supermarkets owned by a Muslim who [also] sells alcoholic drinks?

Answer: Yes, it is permissible; and it is Halal to eat.

2. HALLOWEEN: This is a festival in which children dress in costume, and stop by people's houses asking for candy. Its origin lies in ancient pagan English customs regarding evil spirits and demons. The Catholic Church converted it into a holiday for the souls of the dead Christians. Currently it doesn't have a religious connotation. However, the images of black magic, witches, spirits and death are still present. Is it permissible for a Muslims to: a. Give candy to children who come to their house on this day? b. Decorate one's house according to the customs of the people? c. Dress their children in costumes and take them around to receive candy?

2) If engaging in this practice results in promoting erroneous thinking (e.g. superstition) in the furthering of corruption or in the strengthening and spreading of their culture, whereby it would become desirable to adopt their culture such activity would not be permissible.

At the time of the emergence of Islam, Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) respected most of the traditions and all monotheistic religions that existed at that time. However, he tried to reject the superstitions that had no rationale behind them and were based on false beliefs. So, he decided to wipe away the superstitious traditions that were practiced by pre-Islamic Arabs through informing them of their falsehood.

https://en.shafaqna.com/73705/can-muslims-celebrate-halloween/

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Guest Gamila said:

how is this positive? This is too much! It sounds more like weswas of shaytan. Allah gave ud a brain to think. Use it and you’ll find your answer.

In this particular issue yes it's negative, but look at how much he cares about not disobeying God. If he maintains that sensitivity until death, I think he'll be in a good place for it on Judgement Day. Plus you gotta start somewhere, right now the questions that are obvious to others aren't to him, but in time he will have an impressive knowledge of jurisprudence because he keeps thinking about these things

• Veteran Member
On 10/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, Guest Gamila said:

That is exactly what this is, if it was a one off it could be put down to zealous piety, but the amount of posts like this show that it either waswas or a mental illness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 10/25/2020 at 6:25 PM, Labbayka said:

Salam,

According to the rulings, you can buy food from the Ahl e Kitaab (Jews and Christians). It should not be non-veg

From Sistani.org: 

1Question: Is it permissible to eat foods prepared by Christians and Jews?

Answer: Since the followers of the past revealed religions (that is, the Jews, the Christians and the Zoroastrians) are ritually pure, many of the problems concerning the status and permissibility of the food are resolved when we live with them. It becomes permissible for us as Muslims to eat from their food no matter whether they touched it with their wet hands or not, as long as we do not know or are not sure that it consists of what is forbidden to us, like Haram meat.

I believe a halloween market should consist of Jews and Christians but if they are mushrikeen:

Question: Is it permissible to eat food prepared from non-Ahlul Kitãb (i.e. Those who are neither Christians, Jews, nor Zoroastrians) people?
Answer: A Muslim is allowed to eat the food prepared by someone who is not from Ahlul Kitãb [for example, a Hindu or a Buddhist], provided that he does not know or is not sure that the non-Ahlulkitab touched the food with wetness; and provided that he does not know or is not sure that the food consists of what is forbidden to him like for example, Haram meat, fat and their extracts.

And I think buying and shopping doesn't conclude you are a part of this festival.