Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Moving to Qom, am I being stupid?

• Advanced Member

Salam,

I’ve had a dream for years to move to a society that is based mainly of religion. I know the state of Iran isn’t great at the moment but I’m told that Qom still is a very religious place. I saw a thread earlier today about jobs in Iran without speaking Farsi well,

I do wish to stay in Qom and of course will make an effort to learn Farsi. I don’t want nothing major just a room. 

am I being too idealistic as a westerner?

Guest The truth
25 minutes ago, Labbayka said:

Salam,

I’ve had a dream for years to move to a society that is based mainly of religion. I know the state of Iran isn’t great at the moment but I’m told that Qom still is a very religious place. I saw a thread earlier today about jobs in Iran without speaking Farsi well,

I do wish to stay in Qom and of course will make an effort to learn Farsi. I don’t want nothing major just a room. 

Yes, you are being too idealistic.

You have to plan everything rationally when you want to move. You can’t base a move on a dream or some idea of what you think Qom is like. You have to actually visit Qom and see if you want to live there.

Yes, Qom is a religious place, but the quality of life there is pretty poor. Especially you being a convert? It’s going to be really hard. The people there aren’t exactly friendly as Tehran either. 

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Labbayka said:

Salam,

Go check it out for abit live there for a month get used to life and if your a comfortable well then in sha Allah everything works out for you brother 

• Advanced Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuQJjxZ0-gIXlfR6R0r3Zow

This is a youtube channel about the experiences of a Canadian man living in Qom as a Hawza student. Shoot him a comment, he is very responsive and helpful. He has given me detailed advice in the past even though what I asked had nothing to do with the video

• Advanced Member

My sister studies in Al-Mustafa and it's not really easy especially if you have lived a good life before. The quality of life isn't really great there in hostels and racism exists. Though a lot of Iranian locals here might deny it racism exists in every society towards people who aren't native and Iran is one of those countries.

The economy is suspect unless you have a pretty strong financial backing from family you might struggle to sustain there on your own. Even if you have a financial backing it's very hard to get money into Iran. And it will be much harder for you to sustain if you're willing to take a job. 

But again I've heard reverts especially from the west are given a lot more importance in Qum. The South Asians and middle easterners these days are sent to cities like Ispahan, Shiraz etc and the top universities/Howzas in Qum are reserved to Westerners, East Asians and they get much more money as stipend and are provided a better lifestyle.

• Advanced Member

@Hassu93 salam my friend . to answer your question, no your not being stupid. Qom is a beautiful place. The people there are especially kind and respectful. the soft serve ice cream is very refreshing and delicious on a hot day. and the best part is ziyarat Fatima al ma'suma. Its a great choice and maybe you can say hi to Jamkaraan and Mashad for me and @Hameedeh. So no its NOT stupid at all just try not to go out TO much.

wassalam:grin: