Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Things we can do for the afterlife

Rate this topic

Guest Shukr

Salaam!

I am growing disillusioned of this world and thinking about all the hard work I put in for my business, day and night, but it doesn’t benefit me in the Aakhirah. 

What are some things I can do that will benefit me and my marhoomeen in the afterlife?

My husband is the breadwinner, so our life doesn’t depend on my business. I want to gradually reduce taking on too much work, and rather put in that time gaining Thawaab and Brownie points for Barzakh and the actual forever life. 

I’d appreciate any suggestions and advice please. JazakAllah Khairun

• Advanced Member

Why not take advantage of all that hard work and effort? Do it with the intention of attaining nearness to Allah, spend the money you earn on good causes like charity and helping family. Then all that work will be considered worship. Even with something as mundane as eating, if you eat with gratitude and with the purpose of living another day so you can serve Allah for another day, then the simple act of eating will become an act of worship. It's free thawab, all you have to do is think about why you're doing X

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

The things you do in this life matter. Whatever you do in this life, do it as an act of worship for Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Like the commenter above me said, your hard work can be done with the intention of growing closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and the money you earn from it can be used for good causes like charity and helping family or friends. Even if it's something as simple as donating money to a group that feeds the hungry or a homeless shelter, this donation and the intention behind it can be acts of worship that may have the effect of drawing others close to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). When you do chores around your home, doing them mindfully out of love for your family can bring them and you closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and this is also an act of worship.

Basically, if you remain mindful of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in all that you do, you will be living a lifestyle of continuous worship and this will not only have benefits for the afterlife but will allow the light of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to shine through you and penetrate into the darkness of this world.

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

We have many narrations from the Prophet, and Imams that recommend believers to do hard labour, or simply work. There is a narration that the prophet once kissed the hands of a believer with calluses from hard labour and said " This is a hand that allah and his messenger love" 

Anyways, you should find a balance between work, and devoting yourself to Allah. If we look at the life of our Prophets, and Imams, they also had livelihoods such as farmers, tailors, shepherds, etc.. and also guided mankind towards Islam. 

You can very simply gain the afterlife by doing your wajibats, and a few mustahab acts such as Salahtul Layl. If you would like to gain thawab in the grave, or barzakh simply build a well, or something that helps mankind such as building a school, educational material, building a local community centre etc... these are simply things that will help you in the grave/barzakh. You can also volunteer and gain thawab by helping the homeless population, or giving back by various other initiatives. 

Or a very simple act is always thinking of allah before, and after an action. Repentance, sending salams onto our prophet and his progeny, and doing dhikr. 

WS