Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Would you STILL worship God IF... Be Honest!

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
On 10/23/2020 at 6:41 PM, eThErEaL said:

Hey guys,

so I was wondering if there are any Muslims here that can honestly and ....

 

If I was imortal and there were no consequences I assume I'd not have to put any effort into anything either. As anything that requires hard work has consequences of not putting in the hard work.

This would be a horrendous ground hog day type of existence. I'd pray to Allah to take my life.

If I didn't have any feelings as I do now in this mortal exsistance and I was always in bliss with this situation. I've probably obtained paradise. So it's all good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off, I wouldn't want eternal life on this earth. I see too much sorrow and misery in it and I can't imagine it carrying on forever, having to feel that pain as everyone I know dies and yet I rem

@313_Waiter@notme@Cool@al-Muttaqin@khamosh21@Northwest@Shahrukh K@shia farm girl So long as God is worshipped by a separate or independent self (individual nafs), wherein there is a duality bet

I don't worship Allah because of fear of hell. I worship Him because it brings peace and baraka to my life, it makes me feel safe knowing that I have sought help and refuge from a God that has control

Posted Images

  • Advanced Member

I understand  but just to show you where I come from, I was talking about this with a friend and this is what happened...

Me:
So here's the argument: what we KNOW is, is reality. That there is reality. If there were two realities, ultimately they would be one.
Reality, therefore is absolute and we are its products because we are not absolute
Like waves compared to the ocean...

Friend:
You mean like Descartes? I think, therefore I am? (I denke, also bin ich)...But a tree is falling down, if you know it or not...So there could be more than one reality...

Me:
Yeah basically...
But multiple realities are ultimately a reality too right?
So, we can conclude that:
the ultimate reality= God
And multiple realities= everything else


Friend:
Multiple realities could be just one,when you are god, since you had to be able to process them all and that is impossible for a human being. Our brain filters literally what we notice...

.

.

What do you think of this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
8 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Everything else is a belief about who I AM.  I was born, I will die, I am limited, I know only this and that, I am one of many I and.  I am beautiful, I am ugly.  Etc etc.  all these descriptions or ideas or thoughts, are simply thoughts you have believed in about who you ARE.  But just stick to what is known for certain or what is directly known for certain.  

Didn’t Jesus ((عليه السلام)) say this (“I am”)? Did any of our Imams (عليه السلام) or Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) say it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
11 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Didn’t Jesus ((عليه السلام)) say this (“I am”)? Did any of our Imams (عليه السلام) or Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) say it?

So, In the Bible, Moses asks God how to best describe Him to his people since they are asking for a description ..  and God tells Him to say... I AM that I AM.  Or something to that effect.

So, this is God speaking.  Only God has the right to say I AM.  

Edited by eThErEaL
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Justsomeone said:

I understand  but just to show you where I come from, I was talking about this with a friend and this is what happened...

Me:
So here's the argument: what we KNOW is, is reality. That there is reality. If there were two realities, ultimately they would be one.
Reality, therefore is absolute and we are its products because we are not absolute
Like waves compared to the ocean...

Friend:
You mean like Descartes? I think, therefore I am? (I denke, also bin ich)...But a tree is falling down, if you know it or not...So there could be more than one reality...

Me:
Yeah basically...
But multiple realities are ultimately a reality too right?
So, we can conclude that:
the ultimate reality= God
And multiple realities= everything else


Friend:
Multiple realities could be just one,when you are god, since you had to be able to process them all and that is impossible for a human being. Our brain filters literally what we notice...

.

.

What do you think of this?

Alright, interesting.  I’ll give my take on this soon (iA).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
30 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

So, In the Bible, Moses asks God how to best describe Him to his people since they are asking for a description ..  and God tells Him to say... I AM that I AM.  Or something to that effect.

So, this is God speaking.  Only God has the right to say I AM.  

Jesus also said “before Abraham was, I am”

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
20 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Jesus also said “before Abraham was, I am”

Yes.   True.

i never heard of anything like “I am” in the Islamic traditions.  But when the Prophet (S) says, He was before Adam was between earth and water”,  this is sometimes compared with the statement of Jesus “before Abraham was, I am”. 
Or the sayings of the Imams “we are the names of God”...(and by inference that also includes the All encompassing name, Allah).  
 

in any case, such statements (If they were to made explicit) would be largely misunderstood.   Most people don’t seem to be able to understand it.  We already can see Ghullatis, imagine what they would think if they came across such explicit phrases?  

 

Edited by eThErEaL
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 11/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Justsomeone said:

I understand  but just to show you where I come from, I was talking about this with a friend and this is what happened...

Me:
So here's the argument: what we KNOW is, is reality. That there is reality. If there were two realities, ultimately they would be one.
Reality, therefore is absolute and we are its products because we are not absolute
Like waves compared to the ocean...
 

Right.  

On 11/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Justsomeone said:

Friend:
You mean like Descartes? I think, therefore I am? (I denke, also bin ich)...But a tree is falling down, if you know it or not...So there could be more than one reality...

This is a very important part:

As this is an assumption he is making: Namely that an external (beyond mental) world exists.  How does he know that it cannot be perceived? How does he know that there are things he does not perceive?  Also, when you perceive a tree in front of you, are you perceiving a tree that exists completely independent of your perception of it?  These, I believe, are very important questions.  

On 11/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Justsomeone said:


Me:
Yeah basically...
But multiple realities are ultimately a reality too right?
So, we can conclude that:
the ultimate reality= God
And multiple realities= everything else

So ultimate reality is like the sum of all parts?  Is God made of parts?   How do you answer this question?

 

On 11/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Justsomeone said:


Friend:
Multiple realities could be just one,when you are god, since you had to be able to process them all and that is impossible for a human being. Our brain filters literally what we notice...

.
 

So is ultimate reality (God) made up of all smaller realities?  

On 11/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Justsomeone said:

.

What do you think of this?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
4 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Right.  

This is a very important part:

As this is an assumption he is making: Namely that an external (beyond mental) world exists.  How does he know that it cannot be perceived? How does he know that there are things he does not perceive?  Also, when you perceive a tree in front of you, are you perceiving a tree that exists completely independent of your perception of it?  These, I believe, are very important questions.  

So ultimate reality is like the sum of all parts?  Is God made of parts?   How do you answer this question?

 

So is ultimate reality (God) made up of all smaller realities?  

 

Meh... who knows... it's complicated and I don't think it can ever be explained with words. But I'm at peace now since I know there IS God or ultimate reality or whatever it's called.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 11/6/2020 at 2:47 PM, 313_Waiter said:

Jesus also said “before Abraham was, I am”

I feel that this is one of the most powerful and challenging statements of Jesus.

Not only is he using the name of God for himself, he is also claiming an eternal existance.  He uses a gramatical inconsitancy to afirm his eternal "I AM"ness.  God who is the source of all being and the only one who has eternally existed can say I AM that I AM.

This is one reason why I worship in the Christian tradition, I worship and serve God who has always been, and will always be, and yet in some unfathomable way became a being on this earth.  God did all this for his people.  He is worthy of worship, and service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...