Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Would you STILL worship God IF... Be Honest!

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hey guys,

so I was wondering if there are any Muslims here that can honestly and sincerely say that they would still worship God if they were granted immortal lives on this earth, and if they were were not inflicted with sickness, old age, weakness, suffering, poverty and hunger.  By worship, I mean, would you still follow God’s commandments and prohibitions etc etc.  

Because I, as a proud Atheist, cannot honestly imagine why anyone would worship a God if there was no Hell consequence and if everything already is like a virtual paradise.   Just be honest with yourself before replying.  Be a bit introspective and then reply please.  

Thank you!!!!

Edited by eThErEaL
  • eThErEaL changed the title to Would you STILL worship God IF... Be Honest!
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off, I wouldn't want eternal life on this earth. I see too much sorrow and misery in it and I can't imagine it carrying on forever, having to feel that pain as everyone I know dies and yet I rem

@313_Waiter@notme@Cool@al-Muttaqin@khamosh21@Northwest@Shahrukh K@shia farm girl So long as God is worshipped by a separate or independent self (individual nafs), wherein there is a duality bet

I don't worship Allah because of fear of hell. I worship Him because it brings peace and baraka to my life, it makes me feel safe knowing that I have sought help and refuge from a God that has control

Posted Images

• Moderators

Good question! Thanks for asking. 

I can't imagine a life without any difficulties, but I'd like to think my answer would be yes. 

I, honestly, rarely contemplate reward or punishment. I do what is right because it is right, and avoid what is wrong because it is wrong. 

But the fact is, I have a friend who professes to be atheist, and her basis for moral behavior is the same as mine, just her choice of morals is slightly different. 

• Advanced Member
15 minutes ago, notme said:

I, honestly, rarely contemplate reward or punishment. I do what is right because it is right, and avoid what is wrong because it is wrong. 

Thanks for answering the question,

why do you do what is right?  don't you ever have impulse or the desire to do something God has forbidden or to not do something God has commanded you to do? 

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
13 minutes ago, starlight said:

I don't worship Allah because of fear of hell. I worship Him because it brings peace and baraka to my life, it makes me feel safe knowing that I have sought help and refuge from a God that has control over the entire universe.

Do you really get peace from the mere following of God's commandments, even when you do the things your nafs doesn't want you to do? 

Following the code of life set down by Allah saves me from countless physical and emotional miseries.

Is it always the case that you feel emotional misery when you don't do what God tells you to do?  Do you always feel emotionally happy when you always do what God tells you to do?

What if God created you in a way such that you feel pretty happy (emotionally) when you do something evil and emotionally sad when you do something righteous.  ???

I saw an extremely beautiful dream two nights ago that left me feeling elated  and first thing I did as soon as I woke up was offer 2 rakats of shukr.

Did you offer salat because you happened to be happy about what you experienced and so you voluntarily decided to offer a prayer... or is it because you went against the dictates of your nafs (your nafs didn't really like the idea of wanting to offer a prayer) but you did it anyway?  If it is the former, then my question to you is:

Do you always follow God's commandments without any nafsani friction?

I don't see Allah as someone who you would turn to only in times of hardships. I talk to Him and feel his presence throughout the day. Would never want to break off this connection no matter how beautiful this dunya gets. Why would anyone want to cut off a connection of pure love??

Don't you get happiness and pleasure from this world at all?  What if there was constant pleasure and happiness and you got everything you wanted instantly, and you had no reason to be sad or miserable....  would you still worship God?

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

Hey guys,

so I was wondering if there are any Muslims here that can honestly and sincerely say that they would still worship God if they were granted immortal lives on this earth, and if they were were not inflicted with sickness, old age, weakness, suffering, poverty and hunger.  By worship, I mean, would you still follow God’s commandments and prohibitions etc etc.  

Because I, as a proud Atheist, cannot honestly imagine why anyone would worship a God if there was no Hell consequence and if everything already is like a virtual paradise.   Just be honest with yourself before replying.  Be a bit introspective and then reply please.  

Thank you!!!!

If Allah asked me to worship him in Jannah I would.  In fact, one could make the argument that people would worship God MORE if there were no difficulties in their lives.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, eThErEaL said:

Do you really get peace from the mere following of God's commandments, even when you do the things your nafs doesn't want you to do? 

2 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Is it always the case that you feel emotional misery when you don't do what God tells you to do?  Do you always feel emotionally happy when you always do what God tells you to do?

I don't know how to explain it to you. Have you ever experienced the kind of love where the other person's happiness is your happiness, and their sadness it your grief and their wish is your command? If you happen to have that sort of love for Allah then nothing you do to please Him feels like going against your nafs because your whole existence revolves around serving Him and gaining His pleasure. 

10 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

What if God created you in a way such that you feel pretty happy (emotionally) when you do something evil and emotionally sad when you do something righteous. 

I don't believe it's possible. When He created man He breathed His spirit in him so our primordial nature and Allah's commands cannot not be in synch.

12 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Did you offer salat because you happened to be happy about what you experienced and so you voluntarily decided to offer a prayer

I did it because it was such a happy dream. I felt grateful and wanted to thank Him.

14 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Do you always follow God's commandments without any nafsani friction?

I already answered this at the beginning.

17 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Don't you get happiness and pleasure from this world at all?  What if there was constant pleasure and happiness and you got everything you wanted instantly, and you had no reason to be sad or miserable....  would you still worship God?

Yes, because then there would be more things to be thankful for!

Yesterday I forgot my wallet with the cards and money at home when I left for work. Day went smooth.I didn't need money for anything and even if I did there were colleagues I could borrow from easily.  On the drive back I was thinking what a blessing it is from Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to always have money in my account and to always be able to go shopping on whim(though this doesn't happen very often lol) and again I thanked Him for being so generous with me. So it's not just hardships that should make one think of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but also the ease and the blessing of His constant presence in our lives. 

• Advanced Member

Honestly I think I would still pray and worship but maybe to a lesser degree than before, but you never know thou

As the saying goes: "Money changes people"

You could literally substitute money for Immortality and there

Guest Molana Thankful Laddan

OP: short answer. Your post ends with THANK YOU. That’s my honest answer. That’s why we would be praying in Jannah too inshaAllah. 

Saying thanks is innate to every living being, we humans have more pronounced ways of saying and acting on feelings of gratitudes (but we all have observed other beings doing the same).

I confess I do have sometimes other motives of being obedient to Allah, but many times it’s purely due to the gratitudes of what He has bestowed, and also what He has saved me from, by denying something, or taking away from me. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Thanks for answering the question,

why do you do what is right?  don't you ever have impulse or the desire to do something God has forbidden or to not do something God has commanded you to do? 

Everyone occasionally has a desire to go against what is right, but at the same time, we know it isn't and we can't escape ourselves. What would I think of me if I acted without regard for right or wrong? 

I'm my experience, I don't enjoy that feeling at all, and it is worth avoiding. I (try to) do what is right because it is good for the soul. I (try to) avoid doing what is wrong because doing wrong causes pain to the soul. 

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

First off, I wouldn't want eternal life on this earth. I see too much sorrow and misery in it and I can't imagine it carrying on forever, having to feel that pain as everyone I know dies and yet I remain (this is already happening to me in a sense, I've lost a lot of friends recently to sickness).

But yeah, even if I had eternal life I would still worship God. I don't worship God because I am afraid of going to hell, that might happen regardless if God decides that I deserve to be there for the terrible things I've thought and done to my brothers and sisters in humanity. I worship God because I love him and want to have a relationship with him; to know him more and better, and as a gratitude for the good things he has given me in life even if sometimes I am unappreciative of them and do not recognize them for what they are.

You are not addressing the post.  Obviously living forever with sickness and misery is a reason.  But I am talking about living forever without any sickness, poverty, old age, difficulties, and getting everything you possibly can want when you want it.  

• Advanced Member
28 minutes ago, notme said:

Everyone occasionally has a desire to go against what is right, but at the same time, we know it isn't and we can't escape ourselves. What would I think of me if I acted without regard for right or wrong? 

occasionally only?  In the Quran, God has commanded everyone to remember Him at all times and in all places (sitting, standing lying down etc etc).

Is it only occasional that you don't remember God and that your desire comes in the way and gets the better of you?  

28 minutes ago, notme said:

I'm my experience, I don't enjoy that feeling at all, and it is worth avoiding. I (try to) do what is right because it is good for the soul. I (try to) avoid doing what is wrong because doing wrong causes pain to the soul. 

What kind of pain do you feel when you do wrong? (what if God created you in such a way that you don't feel that pain, but instead you feel pleasure when doing wrong.

If doing wrong causes pain to the soul why do you have to "try" to avoid wrong?  It should be instinctive for you to avoid the wrong just like it is instinctive for you to not put your hand in the fire.  Do you have to battle with yourself, "hmm, I really want to put my hand in the fire but I know it will pain me, so I am going not fall into the temptation of putting my hand in the fire and try my best to keep away from it".     

Guest test

I'd be even more likely to. Can't say I wouldn't want to give a crack at Khidr's job. I can't even imagine what God would let me experience if I obeyed him for 5000 years. You'd basically be like an Angel. The best in the universe is God, and you'd still have access to Him.

3 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

would you still follow God’s commandments and prohibitions etc etc.  

Yes, because God's laws are not arbitrary, they are based on infinite wisdom and knowledge. If I disobey him, I'm gonna have a bad time. And my human nature would remain, humans can only taste satisfaction from living simple lives and being pleased with little. No rich person who lives in excess and debauchery has ever tasted contentment. That's why they're some of the most miserable people on earth. Staying in this wretched place forever sounds like a nightmare.

• Advanced Member
59 minutes ago, Guest Molana Thankful Laddan said:

I confess I do have sometimes other motives of being obedient to Allah, but many times it’s purely due to the gratitudes of what He has bestowed, and also what He has saved me from, by denying something, or taking away from me. 

many times?  So there are 24 hours in a day.  How many of those 24 hrs do show gratitude to Him?  is it more than 90%, more than 80%, more than 70% ? Do you show gratitude to Him while sleeping?  If you show gratitude to God more than 90% in a day then ill take what you said as an honest answer.  But if you don't show gratitude more than 50% in a day, then you cannot possibly be honest in your answer. 

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, MaisumAli said:

Honestly I think I would still pray and worship but maybe to a lesser degree than before, but you never know thou

If I were a Muslim and given this offer, I don't think I would pray AT ALL.  I mean, what for? If I practically live in a virtual paradise, I have everything I need, I am constantly given everything I ever wanted whenever I wanted...  I really, honestly would not bother worshipping God at all!  I would rather just enjoy life and its pleasures.  And also, it would make no difference to me whatsoever whether I know if a God exists or not.  knowing whether a God exists at that point would be like knowing whether another galaxy exists other than ours exists (completely trivial!)

As the saying goes: "Money changes people"

You could literally substitute money for Immortality and there

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Development Team

Of course I would, because I have freewill and I would continue to believe in Him, just annoy to atheists such as you.

On the other hand, it makes no sense to be proud of being atheist or Muslim. It's a perception of your world, it takes no skill or accomplishment to believe or not believe in a different  worldview or set of values than you originally accepted.

Iblis (la) was a devoted follower of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), look at what taking pride in worshipping Him did to Iblis (la). The former was so proud of his worship that he disobeyed the latter and refused to bow to Adam (عليه السلام). Pride goes before a fall.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, starlight said:

I don't know how to explain it to you. Have you ever experienced the kind of love where the other person's happiness is your happiness, and their sadness it your grief and their wish is your command? If you happen to have that sort of love for Allah then nothing you do to please Him feels like going against your nafs because your whole existence revolves around serving Him and gaining His pleasure. 

So if you are love struck, you just happen to be different.  Not everyone is love struck.  If one is not love struck by God then would it it be alright then to disobey God?

But on a more important note:

You are apparently of those few people who are love struck by God.    

I don't believe it's possible. When He created man He breathed His spirit in him so our primordial nature and Allah's commands cannot not be in synch.

I did it because it was such a happy dream. I felt grateful and wanted to thank Him.

Yesterday I forgot my wallet with the cards and money at home when I left for work. Day went smooth.I didn't need money for anything and even if I did there were colleagues I could borrow from easily.  On the drive back I was thinking what a blessing it is from Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to always have money in my account and to always be able to go shopping on whim(though this doesn't happen very often lol) and again I thanked Him for being so generous with me. So it's not just hardships that should make one think of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but also the ease and the blessing of His constant presence in our lives. 

@Gaius I. Caesar

Pride is only wrong if God exists, as He would be the only One who has the right to be Proud (He is Al-Mutakabbir).

But if HE does not exist, then we have the right to be proud.  

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, starlight said:

I don't believe it's possible. When He created man He breathed His spirit in him so our primordial in a day of 24 hrs, how often are ou nature and Allah's commands cannot not be in synch.

So there are 24 hours in a day.  How many of those 24 hrs do show gratitude to Him?  is it more than 90%, more than 80%, more than 70% ? Do you show gratitude to Him while sleeping?  If you show gratitude to God more than 90% in a day then ill take what you said as an honest answer.  But if you don't show gratitude more than 50% in a day, then you cannot possibly be honest in your answer. 

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Development Team
12 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

In the Quran, God has commanded everyone to remember Him at all times and in all places (sitting, standing lying down etc etc).

Is it only occasional that you don't remember God and that your desire comes in the way and gets the better of you?  

If I were a perfect worshipper, immortal or with an extended lifetime and living in a paradise; That would make me not too dissimilar to Iblis (la) or dead. 

However I am only human and fallible, I'm prone to forgetting. Hence God is forgiving and merciful of His worshippers.

• Development Team
13 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

If one is not love struck by God then would it it be alright then to disobey God?

If you don't love your wife, is then ethical to cheat on her with the next door neighbor?

If I am love-struck, it doesn't matter how I feel, everyone has the right to respect and honor. Even God, hence we have religion and worship.

If one doesn't believe in God, then it is pointless in asking such a question because it as absolutely no meaning to them.

• Development Team
21 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Pride is only wrong if God exists, as He would be the only One who has the right to be Proud (He is Al-Mutakabbir).

But if HE does not exist, then we have the right to be proud.  

No, even in secular thought, we shouldn't be proud, especially if it infringes on the rights, is unethical  and causes to harm and suffering to others.

Guest nmj
42 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

So there are 24 hours in a day.  How many of those 24 hrs do show gratitude to Him?  is it more than 90%, more than 80%, more than 70% ? Do you show gratitude to Him while sleeping?  If you show gratitude to God more than 90% in a day then ill take what you said as an honest answer.  But if you don't show gratitude more than 50% in a day, then you cannot possibly be honest in your answer. 

100% of the day through your actions. You can multitask but you can't multithink. So if I go to bed with gratitude that God will now recharge me so I can serve him another day, and wake up grateful for being able to live another day, then all that time even though unconscious will count. Or if I'm a soldier fighting for Allah, obviously I can't be singly focused on God while I'm trying to survive, but my intention will cover for me. It's really not that complex. You'd just preface and end your actions with gratitude and not forget about your privilege. 

Also what kind of satanic question is this? It's like going to a mother and saying "Hey I know you love your kids and all, but would you stab one to death if it meant saving the rest of them? Would you stab your beloved child in that situation?" A mo'min will believe in God in any context, so don't try to undermine their unbendable love for their Creator. Don't try to make them feel weird by trying to make them say "Wow I guess I'd be and act like a kafir if the circumstances were like this."

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

If I were a Muslim and given this offer, I don't think I would pray AT ALL.  I mean, what for? If I practically live in a virtual paradise, I have everything I need, I am constantly given everything I ever wanted whenever I wanted...  I really, honestly would not bother worshipping God at all!  I would rather just enjoy life and its pleasures.  And also, it would make no difference to me whatsoever whether I know if a God exists or not.  knowing whether a God exists at that point would be like knowing whether another galaxy exists other than ours exists (completely trivial!)

Yea but personally I think you should always be thankful, whether through prayer or just a moment of thankfulness

Just my opinion

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, MaisumAli said:

Yea but personally I think you should always be thankful, whether through prayer or just a moment of thankfulness

Just my opinion

Right.  I agree.  We should.  But do we do thing because we should?  We should not eat more than we need to.  But we do anyway. 

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

No, even in secular thought, we shouldn't be proud, especially if it infringes on the rights, is unethical  and causes to harm and suffering to others.

Oh.  I am a proud atheist.  I wonder what harm this is causing you.

• Advanced Member

If you don't love your wife, is then ethical to cheat on her with the next door neighbor?

is it unethical?  You mean as an Atheist?
So long as you don’t harm anyone.  So, if you cheat and there is a possibility your wife can find out, then it is unethical.  Because her finding out will cause her distress.  But if you are 100 % sure she won’t find out I don’t see what can be unethical about it!  

If I am love-struck, it doesn't matter how I feel, everyone has the right to respect and honor. Even God, hence we have religion and worship.

If one doesn't believe in God, then it is pointless in asking such a question because it as absolutely no meaning to them.

It is meaningful.  In theory.  It is like examining someone who is mentally psychotic.  You will ask the psycho why he is afraid of the boogyman etc etc.  

• Veteran Member

Imam Ali [as] said: Verily, some people worshipped Allah being desirous (Of His reward) – so this is the worship of traders; and some people worshipped Allah fearing (His punishment) – so it is the worship of slaves, and a group worshipped Allah in gratitude (to Him) so this is the worship of the free. (Nahju ‘I-balaghah)

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, notme said:

Good question! Thanks for asking. 

I can't imagine a life without any difficulties, but I'd like to think my answer would be yes. 

But the fact is, I have a friend who professes to be atheist, and her basis for moral behavior is the same as mine, just her choice of morals is slightly different. 

Alright.  The reason why you cannot imagine a life without any difficulty is because a life of pure bliss is in fact God.  If you live in a virtual paradise without any difficulty, you live IN God, by God, with God, through God.  There is no worshipper or worshiped. 

there are no laws and shariah and duality in the highest level of paradise for the ultimate Paradise is God Himself.

this is why the first principle in Buddhism is 1) This life is dukha (suffering).  Because you cannot separate this existence from suffering.  It is the essence of this life to go through suffering.  

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Veteran Member

Imagine you are on that paradise right now, you are eating your favourite food (biryani or halwa puri), wouldn’t you get bored and say what’s the point!? Even if I had an unlimited variety of foods, I’d still get bored. Wouldn’t you want to find out why am I here, where did I come from and where am I going (if I will end up somewhere else)?

For me, personally (I hope) it is about the truth. If I know that God is, I will follow al-Haqq. Because that is the ultimate reality. 

• Veteran Member

فَهَبْنِي يَا إِلَهِي وَسَيِّدِي وَمَوْلاي وَرَبِّي صَبَرْتُ عَلَى عَذَابِكَ،

fa-hab-ni ya ilahi wasay-yidi wa mawlaya wa rab-bi sabar-tu `ala `adhabika
Then suppose, My God, my Master, my Protector and my Lord that I am able to endure Your chastisement,

فَكَيْفَ أَصْبِرُ عَلَى فِرَاقِكَ

fakayfa as-biru `ala firaqika
How can I endure separation from You?

وَهَبْنِي صَبَرْتُ عَلَى حَرِّ نَارِكَ،

wa hab-ni sabar-tu `ala har-ri narika
And suppose that I am able to endure the heat of Your fire,

فَكَيْفَ أَصْبِرُ عَنِ النَّظَرِ إِلَى كَرَامَتِكَ

fakayfa as-biru `an-nazari ila karamatik
How can I endure not gazing upon Your generosity?

أَمْ كَيْفَ أَسْكُنُ فِي النَّارِ وَرَجَائِي عَفْوُكَ

am kayfa as-kunu fin-nari wa raja-i `af-wuk
Or how can I dwell in the Fire while my hope is Your pardon?

فَبِعِزَّتِكَ يَا سَيِّدِي وَمَوْلاي أُقْسِمُ صَادِقاً، لَئِن تَرَكْتَنِي نَاطِقاً

fabi-i'z-zatika ya say-yidi wa mawlaya uq-simu sadiqal-la-in tarak-tani natiqan
So by Your might, my Master and my protector, I swear sincerely, if You leavest me with speech,

لأَضِجَّنَّ إِلَيْكَ بَيْنَ أَهْلِهَا ضَجِيجَ الآمِلِينَ

ladij-jan-na ilayka bayna ah-liha dajijal-amilin
I will lament to You from the midst of the Fire's inhabitants with lamentation of the hopeful;

وَلأَصْرُخَنَّ إِلَيكَ صُرَاخَ المُسْتَصْرِخِينَ

wa lasrukhan-na ilayka surakhal-mus-tas-rikhin
I will cry to You with the cry of those crying for help;

وَلأَبْكِيَنَّ عَلَيْكَ بُكَاءَ الفَاقِدِينَ

wa-la-ab-ki-yan-na `ailayka buka-al-faqidin
I will weep to You with the weeping of the bereft;

وَلأُنَادِيَنَّكَ أَيْنَ كُنتَ يَا وَلِيَّ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ

wa la-unadi-yan-naka ay-na kun-ta ya wali-yal-mu-minin
And I will call to You, Where art You, O Sponsor of the believers,

-Dua Kumayl by Imam Ali (عليه السلام)