Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

why do the most shia cry more when they mourn than in prayers or Quran Recitation?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salam aleykum brothers and sisters. 

I watched this video and I have an discussion with some Salafi. One person said that the shia scholars don't cry while they pray or during the Quran recitation. I was 100% sure to find some videos of scholars that do cry. I couldn't find any of those videos. I really don't know what to answer anymore. can you give me some answers?  It's possible that they cry in their home. 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Dutchzahra said:

Salam aleykum brothers and sisters. 

I watched this video and I have an discussion with some Salafi. One person said that the shia scholars don't cry while they pray or during the Quran recitation. I was 100% sure to find some videos of scholars that do cry. I couldn't find any of those videos. I really don't know what to answer anymore. can you give me some answers?  It's possible that they cry in their home. 

Ayaotllah Behjat (رضي الله عنه).

there is a famous clip somewhere of him crying which you can easily find by simple youtube search.

But those Salafis are wrong....  when I was Shia I used to cry in my prayer.  It is not a Shia Sunni thing to cry or not to cry in prayers or in reciting the Quran.

The Prophet (S) cried for his grandchild  Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) and his (S) relatives, like Hamza (رضي الله عنه).  This is in Sunni books as well, so it is a Sunnah to cry for your loved ones especially for the Prophet (S) and his (S) family. There is no denying this fact.  But Shias definitely put  A LOT more emphasis in this particular sunnah than Sunnis do.  And it is true that you are more likely to see Sunnis crying in prayers than Shias.  Shias tend to do that privately I would imagine.  Sunnis have Taraweeh jamat and often you see a lot of them crying for God's pleasure out of fear of God.  So there is a subtle truth they are pointing to, but they are clearly not doing a good job in making their point.  

• Development Team

Salaam, 

The comparison is wrong. While crying in prayers out of fear of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is a great thing, not crying doesn't invalidate prayers. Mourning for Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) is in itself an act and observed by Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and his progeny (عليهم اسلام).

Ask the salafi why do they cry so much more when their loved ones passes away compared to when they stand in prayers. Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) for us is much more than our parents. 

• Advanced Member

:hahaha: I honestly laughed at this video! Either the nasibi making the video is ignorant or he is a deceiver

I honestly couldn't believe the comments on the video, I have never seen such blind and gullible people in my life!

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I don't cry when I recite my prayers. Heck, I don't usually cry when I am sad and that's probably a result of the psych meds I'm on.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I'm almost always happy when I'm saying my prayers because it's five times a day where I get to encounter God (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Why would I cry when I get to spend time with God(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) five times a day or more & I know that he loves me and is oft forgiving and the most merciful? I don't cry over recitation of the Quran either, I find it very comforting and most of the time it actually makes me smile.

I used to cry a lot over everything but since my meds were adjusted, I don't normally cry over anything anymore. Sometimes I worry about that, because crying is a natural phenomenon, but I'd rather be living a life where I am not crying than one where I am crying over everything. I've cried more than enough in my life, so any time that I get to laugh now, I enjoy it.

• Basic Members

Salam aleykum 

Yes you are all right. I started to think about it and answered them this 2 days ago. (How do you know that they don't cry during the prayers, reciting of Quran and dua? Have you been into their homes? It's something personal. I am 100% sure that they cry in their homes when they are alone with their speech to Allah. example if I am in mosque I also don't cry in the prayer. There are many sounds around me and my kids are there. If I am at home I do sometimes cry. The scholars smile while remembering Allah. The Islam is love. It makes us smile. We don't believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) because our fear for Allah and the hell only. Do you? )

It's a bit like some of you said. Thanks for the answeres. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you

Did you hear the fake cries they used? I can't believe that those people believe it's real. They lie a lot. 

• Advanced Member
On 10/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, Dutchzahra said:

Salam aleykum 

Yes you are all right. I started to think about it and answered them this 2 days ago. (How do you know that they don't cry during the prayers, reciting of Quran and dua? Have you been into their homes? It's something personal. I am 100% sure that they cry in their homes when they are alone with their speech to Allah. example if I am in mosque I also don't cry in the prayer. There are many sounds around me and my kids are there. If I am at home I do sometimes cry. The scholars smile while remembering Allah. The Islam is love. It makes us smile. We don't believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) because our fear for Allah and the hell only. Do you? )

It's a bit like some of you said. Thanks for the answeres. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you

Did you hear the fake cries they used? I can't believe that those people believe it's real. They lie a lot. 

What does crying even have to do with praying? And what does it even matter?

People cry in prayers when they are really worried or terrified of something be it worldly or spiritually.

Mourning is when you specifically go to cry. 

If people are thinking only crying in prayers shows sincerity then tell them they will be great at working in theatre productions because they can carry on facades better than most people.

Edited by El Cid
  • Advanced Member

We don't have to show to people that we are crying in prayer. Crying is for Allah, not as a thing to show off to others....

قَالَ إِنَّمَآ أَشْكُواْ بَثِّى وَحُزْنِىٓ إِلَى ٱللَّهِ وَأَعْلَمُ مِنَ ٱللَّهِ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ

"He said: I only complain of my grief and sorrow to Allah...."(12:86)

• Basic Members
1 hour ago, El Cid said:

What does crying even have to do with praying? And what does it even matter?

People cry in prayers when they are really worried or terrified of something be it worldly or spiritually.

Mourning is when you specifically go to cry. 

If people are thinking only crying in prayers shows sincerity then tell them they will be great at working in theatre productions because they can carry on facades better than most people.

That’s true. It just came in my mind at that time, because I saw kids crying. Like I said. I started to think about it later again. We smile if we think about Allah, because HE is loving. The Islam is loving. I am sorry for the Question. Maybe it was a wrong question. I converted to the Islam almost 15 years ago and I am Shia most of the years. But sometimes I do have some questions. 

• Basic Members
1 hour ago, Anonymous-Male said:

We don't have to show to people that we are crying in prayer. Crying is for Allah, not as a thing to show off to others....

قَالَ إِنَّمَآ أَشْكُواْ بَثِّى وَحُزْنِىٓ إِلَى ٱللَّهِ وَأَعْلَمُ مِنَ ٱللَّهِ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ

"He said: I only complain of my grief and sorrow to Allah...."(12:86)

Exactly. The same thing I said to them. Praying is personal. 

• Veteran Member

I can cry during prayers and recitation.

The problem with the ones who make videos like this is that they are unreasonable. They need to believe in absurd allegations upon others to justify their own insanity.

Edited by The Green Knight