Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can you draw the prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) with the face missing.?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I've seen images of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) with the face left blank and a beard. The eyes nose and mouth are missing while keeping the beard. Is it permissible in Shia Islam?

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, musa shakr said:

I've seen images of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) with the face left blank and a beard. The eyes nose and mouth are missing while keeping the beard. Is it permissible in Shia Islam?

Weren't you a Sunni?

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, musa shakr said:

Nice to see you back on Shiachat

Now that I think about it, the only time I've seen the Prophet depicted by Muslims is when an actor plays his role or in children's books. And they always seem to not depict his face by making a bright light shine from it. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Prophet like how I see pictures of the Imams here and there, nor any other Prophet for that matter. And if the tragic event of Karbala didn't occur then we might not see much pictures of them either. So I take it that holy figures are mainly drawn for practical purposes like education or keeping their memory alive. Just my observations.

• Advanced Member
36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Weren't you a Sunni?

yea, I've flip flopped more than once about what sect I want to belong to. I practice by my self. There is no mosque and the the few muslims in the area are closed of to outsiders. But I've made a firm decision to stay shia. I'm intending on moving somewhere with a shia community and mosque once I have a community and mosque it will be easier to stay shia. Sunnis make 85% of the muslim population and many don't except shia as even being muslim. Even though I know shia Islam is correct I bothers me that so many muslims won't accept me witch makes joing the majority sect appealing. I'm embarrassed that I'm had a moment of weakness and chose to identify as the majority sect just to feel more accepted.

• Veteran Member

From Sayed Sistani (rah):

1Question: Is it permissible to draw or produce a scene which shows the Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).), one of the past prophets or the infallible Imams ((عليه السلام).), or other luminaries and show it in cinema, on television or theatre?

Answer: If due deference and respect is observed, and the scene does not contain anything that would detract from their holy pictures in the minds [of the viewers], there is no problem.

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01282/

• Moderators
5 hours ago, musa shakr said:

From the depictions I have seen, in Islamic movies and pictures, Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) is depicted with basically all distinguishing features removed(face, hair, body shape / size, etc). This is so people don't get a specific image in their mind of the appearance or Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) as looking a specific way, which is not actually how he looked. We don't want to do the same thing to Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) as the Christian's did with Prophet Isa((عليه السلام)), some depicting him as a blond Nordic European, some depicting him as African, some as Chinese, etc. He was not a ghost or a shape shifter, lol, he was a real, actual human being and looked a certain way (probably similar to how modern day Palestinians / Lebanese people look, because he was from that area). So we don't want to 'de-humanize' him and make him into some mythical figure. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Veteran Member
15 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

From Sayed Sistani (rah):

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01282/

Preface: l'm Sunni

1] For what legitimate reason will you have to draw a picture of the Prophets -(عليه السلام). or the lmams ?

2] How this was done in The Messagehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Message_(1976_film)#Depiction_of_Muhammad

Note: when in high school, in our textbook was the pagan painted picture of Muhammad -(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).s from that time. As l understand it, this is the only known painting of him -(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).s.

• Veteran Member
13 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

1] For what legitimate reason will you have to draw a picture of the Prophets -(عليه السلام). or the lmams ?

I am not entirely sure about the reason for the ruling, you can message Sayed Sistani’s website to ask for the hikmah behind the ruling. We need not justify every ruling in jurisprudence through utilitarian means. That being said, I’ll have a go:

It’s understood the actor playing the role of the infallibles ((عليه السلام)) is not them, or a depiction that anyone draws (whether out of love or hatred - like Charlie Hebdo) is not them ((عليه السلام)). In Ja’fari jurisprudence making statues of humans and animals would still be prohibited because this could lead to deification, but I don’t think that images or paintings will lead to deification in the contemporary era. 

If you’d ask my personal opinion, I’d avoid it just because the infallibles ((عليه السلام)) and the anbiya ((عليه السلام)) are too sacred for me to draw.

• Veteran Member
39 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

In Ja’fari jurisprudence making statues of humans and animals would still be prohibited because this could lead to deification,

In a statement like this, my reaction shows how radical (applied fundamentals) l am.

l differentiate between statues and models as l do art and textual drawings (e.g. 'body' vs. medical text).

Secondly, l myself have never found an equivalent to this in lsIam, yet the old, 1C Christians use to say, "You can make a sin out of anything." So, if your attitude is to idolize and near/actual worship a statue or image in colored glass, then that is what you will do.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I've seen ancient pictures of The Prophet (عليه السلام) because there wasn't always a restriction on depicting Him (one of these was the famous story of the setting of the black stone). I attempted to replicate the picture of the setting of the black stone for one of my woodburnings, but where He would be, I just made a burst of light that wasn't in the shape of a person.

I honestly don't really agree with the prohibition because Jews and Christians depict Musa (عليه السلام) and Isa (عليه السلام) especially in movies, and I think it would be nice to have an idea of what The Prophet (عليه السلام) looked like because he was a very real person and thus, had a very real appearance and I feel that if we were allowed to depict him, that it would humanize Islam a lot in the eyes of the anti-Muslim conservatives in the US. They find it bizarre that Muhammad (عليه السلام) can't be depicted or portrayed by an actor the way that they often do with Musa (عليه السلام) and Isa (عليه السلام) and they find it to be barbaric that people are killed for doing so (I agree with this, since depictions of Him used to be made & are up on Wikipedia).

For the record, I oftentimes find myself imagining what he must have looked like and I think that comes from the fact that I used to be a Christian, so I am used to seeing depictions of Isa (عليه السلام) and other Biblical figures.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I've seen ancient pictures of The Prophet (عليه السلام) because there wasn't always a restriction on depicting Him (one of these was the famous story of the setting of the black stone). I attempted to replicate the picture of the setting of the black stone for one of my woodburnings, but where He would be, I just made a burst of light that wasn't in the shape of a person.

I honestly don't really agree with the prohibition because Jews and Christians depict Musa (عليه السلام) and Isa (عليه السلام) especially in movies, and I think it would be nice to have an idea of what The Prophet (عليه السلام) looked like because he was a very real person and thus, had a very real appearance and I feel that if we were allowed to depict him, that it would humanize Islam a lot in the eyes of the anti-Muslim conservatives in the US. They find it bizarre that Muhammad (عليه السلام) can't be depicted or portrayed by an actor the way that they often do with Musa (عليه السلام) and Isa (عليه السلام) and they find it to be barbaric that people are killed for doing so (I agree with this, since depictions of Him used to be made & are up on Wikipedia).

For the record, I oftentimes find myself imagining what he must have looked like and I think that comes from the fact that I used to be a Christian, so I am used to seeing depictions of Isa (عليه السلام) and other Biblical figures.

Salaam brother,

I’m not sure there is a prohibition in Shi’a Islam (though still may be taboo):

1Question: Is it permissible to draw or produce a scene which shows the Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).), one of the past prophets or the infallible Imams ((عليه السلام).), or other luminaries and show it in cinema, on television or theatre?

Answer: If due deference and respect is observed, and the scene does not contain anything that would detract from their holy pictures in the minds [of the viewers], there is no problem.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Salam

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235068596-prayer-for-je-suis-chappie/?tab=comments#comment-3317562

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I honestly don't really agree with the prohibition because Jews and Christians depict Musa (عليه السلام) and Isa (عليه السلام) especially in movies

The status and respect of Prophet Muhammad(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is greater than all the Past Prophets(Peace be upon them) combined. He(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is the Master of Prophets(Peace be upon them). He(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was the first Creation of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) from His(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) pure Light. He(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was the first being to testify to the One-ness of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) aka He(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is the first Witness in all of creation to the Majesty of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

How can one even try to depict/recreate His(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) like-ness in any capacity after knowing and acknowledging all these facts? No Human being is worthy to depict Him(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). No piece of paper/canvas is worthy to depict and hold His(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) likeness. No stone or carving is worthy enough to depict Him(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

One can't stop Jews and Christians from depicting Past Prophets(Peace be upon them) because they are their Prophets(Peace be upon them) as well. It'd infringe on their practice and rights. And them doing to this to us would infringe on the Honor and Prestige of the Prophet(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

Though I don't agree with showing a negative reaction to people who do this on purpose to incite hatred/violence amongst people. I don't show any reaction. Let Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) be the Jury and Judge for them. 

Edited by El Cid