Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Most Liberal Maraji? (Grand Ayatollah Yousef Saanei sadly passing away)

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Hello Brothers and Sisters!

With the sad passing of Grand Ayatollah Yousef Saanei in September, I wondering who would best be his successor?

I liked Grand Ayatollah Yousef Saanei's humanistic approach.

Which of the current Maraji are most like him/most liberal?

The current list of Maraji as far as I know are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Maraji

Thanks for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Taqleed in Islam means looking for an A'alam (the most learned). It does not mean picking the most liberal, progressive(in worldly terms) guy for following shariah. 

Any human being who has progressive actions, and is preaching values which spread love is who I consider more learned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Development Team
8 hours ago, Randle McMurphy said:

Any human being who has progressive actions, and is preaching values which spread love is who I consider more learned.

We are following Islam. So the rulings should be based on Ahadith and Qur'an and not what world considers 'progressive'. Islam preaches value and spread love in Akhlaaqi domain which is binding irrespective of marjaa you follow. What we are talking here is Jurisprudential aspect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

We are following Islam. So the rulings should be based on Ahadith and Qur'an and not what world considers 'progressive'. Islam preaches value and spread love in Akhlaaqi domain which is binding irrespective of marjaa you follow. What we are talking here is Jurisprudential aspect. 

I think it's rather naive to think that a text, that was written hundreds of years ago, in a historical style of language, can be interpreted in ONE way only. A GCSE in English or History would allow to see this in action. 

I think it's also a little disrespectful that you've dismissed an individual who has reached the height of Grand Ayatollah, both more highly educated than you or I, without even bothering to hear his theological rationale behind his beliefs, nor have you used any theological rationale to justify your own beliefs. All because his beliefs are adjunct to your own personal  interpretational beliefs.

I get the impression you're trying to create a shia version of the sunni "khalifa". Where we have one true way as ordained by this warlord Khalifa, with no room for discussion.

I think in Shia islam there is a long tradition of having a robust discussion and diverse ranges of interpretations of religion without the intolerance of people who do things differently.

Either way I'm happy that you've found a maraja that helps you become a better person. I would hope you would extend others the same courtesy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Development Team
10 hours ago, Randle McMurphy said:

I think it's rather naive to think that a text, that was written hundreds of years ago, in a historical style of language, can be interpreted in ONE way only. A GCSE in English or History would allow to see this in action. 

Yes, text can be interpreted differently. Therefore, we have so many Jurists differing in some of their interpretations. 

10 hours ago, Randle McMurphy said:

I think it's also a little disrespectful that you've dismissed an individual who has reached the height of Grand Ayatollah, both more highly educated than you or I, without even bothering to hear his theological rationale behind his beliefs, nor have you used any theological rationale to justify your own beliefs. All because his beliefs are adjunct to your own personal  interpretational beliefs.

I did not dismiss any Grand Ayatollah. Show me where I did. I only pointed out that the approach to select a marja for oneself should not be based on 'progressiveness' as perceived by the world rather it should be based on the level of knowledge. I also do not have any personal interpretation of fiqhi belifs as I am, like most shi'as, incapable of deducing shariah rulings. 

10 hours ago, Randle McMurphy said:

I get the impression you're trying to create a shia version of the sunni "khalifa". Where we have one true way as ordained by this warlord Khalifa, with no room for discussion.

Where did this come from? 

To start with, selecting a maraja is limited to Jurisprudential aspect and you cannot follow a scholar in Aqaed(beliefs). So, if I wanted to create khalifa for shia, I would have asked unquestionable obedience and loyalty to that jurist, which I have not. However, this is only reserved for our Imam (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف). 

11 hours ago, Randle McMurphy said:

Either way I'm happy that you've found a maraja that helps you become a better person. I would hope you would extend others the same courtesy.

Yes, thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...