Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Marriage

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Asalawailaikum, 

I need a little advice on how to convince my parents for my marriage.

I am a 23 year old girl who has a very strict family and which thinks about society a lot.  

I like one guy and want to marry him the issue is that he is a revert.  

He converted to shia a year ago and is still continuing to learn. But my family isn't accepting because they say it's not allowed to marry "shia convert male" and mostly about "what will people say"

1) is it permisble to marry a covrert male? 

2) how do I convince what do I do?  As I really like this man and want to get married to only him. 

Also we haven't been in any relationship or anything he also wants to marry me now.  It's a yes from him and his family though his family hasn't converted from Sunni but they have no problem with him or me.   But my family  isn't agreeing and are very eager for me to marry someone my aunt chose.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Masooma zehra said:

2) how do I convince what do I do?  As I really like this man and want to get married to only him. 

Yes, it's permissible. We don't differentiate between reverts and others. It's your beliefs and actions that define you, not which family you were born into.

For the second point, it would help if a religious figure in your community or an elder member of your family supported you. Sometimes this is what it takes. 

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Masooma zehra said:

Asalawailaikum, 

I need a little advice on how to convince my parents for my marriage.

I am a 23 year old girl who has a very strict family and which thinks about society a lot.  

I like one guy and want to marry him the issue is that he is a revert.  

He converted to shia a year ago and is still continuing to learn. But my family isn't accepting because they say it's not allowed to marry "shia convert male" and mostly about "what will people say"

Also we haven't been in any relationship or anything he also wants to marry me now.  It's a yes from him and his family though his family hasn't converted from Sunni but they have no problem with him or me.   But my family  isn't agreeing and are very eager for me to marry someone my aunt chose.

If your parents cause problems for you on the basis of "what will close minded brown people think". Then you can marry without their permission and consent to the guy you think is suitable for you. If they try to cause you problems, They will be committing sinful behavior and will be held accountable on the day of Judgement. 

Remember this is your life. You have every right to make it as good as you like. Your parents won't be the ones who will be married to that guy, You will be. So if you think it's worth it based on your reasoning and understanding. Then go for it and don't let anyone bring you down.

Edited by El Cid
  • Advanced Member

Salaam Alaykum,

1. It is permissible to marry a convert islamically.

2. Talk to a shaykh or someone to mediate between you and your parents. Talk to your parents first and tell them that he is practicing etc.

Guest pizzagirl

How are you so sure you want to marry this man only?

First get an Alim to talk to your parents so they know it is allowed to marry a convert. Next, if you can arrange a meeting between the guy and your father that might help. But your goal shouldn't be to 'convince' your parents. Get them to see him and know him properly, so they can see for themselves how dedicated he is at being shia. Converts are usually more keen about religion so they will hopefully see its actually better than someone born into the religion. At the end of the day though, trust in your parents decision as they will be looking at all aspects overall. Be open with them. And lastly but most importantly, pray that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gives you the best. 
Then, if it is good for you, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will make it easy for you inshaAllah.
If it is not, then it won't happen and you should accept it was for the best.

• 2 weeks later...