Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why do I get bad dreams?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

A while ago I stopped doing a sin, and whenever I sleep I get dreams that I'm doing that sin (its a very grave sin) and after doing it I feel very bad and I wonder how can I serve Ahl AlBayt and be so dirty, especially Hazrat Fatima Al-Zahra, I remember saying what will I do for Her to forgive me. I believe that was what happened until I wake up and realize its just a dream.  I'm afraid of getting these again, what do I have to do to stop it?

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Hani B. said:

A while ago I stopped doing a sin, and whenever I sleep I get dreams that I'm doing that sin (its a very grave sin) and after doing it I feel very bad and I wonder how can I serve Ahl AlBayt and be so dirty, especially Hazrat Fatima Al-Zahra, I remember saying what will I do for Her to forgive me. I believe that was what happened until I wake up and realize its just a dream.  I'm afraid of getting these again, what do I have to do to stop it?

Dreams are nothing but manisfestation of thoughts gathered in your head. When I quit smoking cigarettes, in my dream I smoked cigarettes 24/7. Then woke up thinking my dream was real and I just broke my vow to not smoke. It happens. There's no guilt or shame when it comes to such things. It's all silliness. 

Do this just for yourself: 

Surah ad-Dukhan (The Smoke)

This is a ‘makki’ Surah and it has 59 ayaat. It is narrated from the Holy Prophet (S) that if this Surah is recited at night, then seventy thousand angels pray to Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).) to forgive the sins of the reciter. If recited on Thursday nights, all sins are forgiven and houses are built for the reciter in Jannah. The reward for reciting each letter of this Surah is equal to that of freeing a thousand slaves for seeking the pleasure of Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).).

Imam Muhammad al-Baqir ((عليه السلام).) said that whoever recites Surah ad-Dukhan in his faraa’idh (compulsory prayers) will be protected from the torment of the Day of Judgement and will easily be able to give his accounts. His book of deeds will also be given to him in his right hand.

If kept in one’s possession, this Surah acts as a protection from the plots of Shaitan. If kept under one’s pillow before sleeping at night, there will be no suffering from nightmares and one will always get good dreams. Keeping this Surah in a place of business makes the trade prosper.

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) has said that keeping this Surah as a talisman ensures protection from the authorities and makes people fond of the wearer. Drinking water in which this Surah has been dissolved is a cure for all ailments related to the stomach.

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Dreams are nothing but manisfestation of thoughts gathered in your head. When I quit smoking cigarettes, in my dream I smoked cigarettes 24/7. Then woke up thinking my dream was real and I just broke my vow to not smoke. It happens. There's no guilt or shame when it comes to such things. It's all silliness. 

Do this just for yourself: 

Surah ad-Dukhan (The Smoke)

This is a ‘makki’ Surah and it has 59 ayaat. It is narrated from the Holy Prophet (S) that if this Surah is recited at night, then seventy thousand angels pray to Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).) to forgive the sins of the reciter. If recited on Thursday nights, all sins are forgiven and houses are built for the reciter in Jannah. The reward for reciting each letter of this Surah is equal to that of freeing a thousand slaves for seeking the pleasure of Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).).

Imam Muhammad al-Baqir ((عليه السلام).) said that whoever recites Surah ad-Dukhan in his faraa’idh (compulsory prayers) will be protected from the torment of the Day of Judgement and will easily be able to give his accounts. His book of deeds will also be given to him in his right hand.

If kept in one’s possession, this Surah acts as a protection from the plots of Shaitan. If kept under one’s pillow before sleeping at night, there will be no suffering from nightmares and one will always get good dreams. Keeping this Surah in a place of business makes the trade prosper.

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) has said that keeping this Surah as a talisman ensures protection from the authorities and makes people fond of the wearer. Drinking water in which this Surah has been dissolved is a cure for all ailments related to the stomach.

Thank you I recite every night

• Advanced Member
51 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

You don't.

l get really 'bad' things too. Disgustng people l have known, Biden being elected, bills in the mail, . . . you know, the normal 'bad' stuff.

The worst is going to work having a hard day go home to sleep and dream about work then wake up and go back to work yuckkkkk ahahaha

• Advanced Member
21 minutes ago, Ali2196 said:

The worst is going to work having a hard day go home to sleep and dream about work then wake up and go back to work yuckkkkk ahahaha

Work isn't all that bad, but I can't judge I've never had a job yet

• Veteran Member
33 minutes ago, Ali2196 said:

l once dreamt my alarm clock went off. Got up. Took a shower. Walked into the kitchen. Looked at the clock. lt was a couple of minutes past 0200. ln the middle of my sleep time.

Back in the '80s, someone told me he did the same thing also.

• Veteran Member
9 hours ago, Hani B. said:

Salam,

Before going to sleep, pray 2 rakaat to ask forgiveness and clear the mind.

Sometimes, a dream is a message to get closer to Muhammad wa Aale Muhammad.

Wallahualam.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l once dreamt my alarm clock went off. Got up. Took a shower. Walked into the kitchen. Looked at the clock. lt was a couple of minutes past 0200. ln the middle of my sleep time.

That happened to me once when I was in High School. I dreamt my alarm clock went off so I got up, took a shower and when I got out my mom was like "What are you doing? It's 3am!"

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
13 hours ago, Hani B. said:

Not trying to discourage you, but dreams aren't really something that you can control. They come from your subconscious mind and are usually your brain attempting to process information that you took in during the day, almost always unknowingly. Like this week I've had dream almost every night about walking through New York City... except that it's not the real New York City, it's a fantasy version of it that I have in my head. I think these dreams stem from the fact that I used to want to live in NYC when I was younger because I thought that it was something different than what it really is. Now that I am in my thirties and have been there, I have dreams about this fantasy version of NYC that I've constructed in my head, usually that I'm walking through a Manhattan that doesn;t actually exist to a Bronx that doesn't exist either.

Other times dreams can be a manifestation of a worry or a fear that you have, which is what your situation sounds like it probably is. You're worried about the possibility of committing a sin (that I'm pretty confident that you aren't committing), so your brain is confronting this fear in as you sleep by making you dream about it. I have the same thing happen to me rather frequently about having to kill someone in self defense and going to jail for it (I've never killed someone and don't ever want to, but I dream about it because my subconscious mind is worried that I might have to with how crazy everything is getting in the US, I have also been to jail before and I think that this part of the dream is a result of the trauma of having gone to jail earlier this year).

In short, just keep your head up and realize that you can't control your dreams so that they're nothing to beat yourself up over. Hope this encourages you a bit.

• Advanced Member

Salams,

Everyone is right when they say dreams are nothing you need to worry about. Yeah sometimes they may have actual meaning but we can't interpret these. I don't know where I heard this but bad dreams are apparently just jinns trying to paint an image on your head. If you get dreams, don't worry about it. Apparently the thoughts you have before you sleep may also be linked to some of the dreams you have, so think happy thoughts. 

For me I had my fair share of bad dreams but alhamdulillah when I decided to have a positive outlook on everything and to not think negatively, these bad dreams started to go away. Maybe try getting rid of the negativity and think positively, it may help. Also recite Surah al-Falaq, An-Nas and ayatul kursi before you sleep. Surah An-Nas is almost like a dua against the forces of evil that can't been seen, so this will help as well.

InshAllah this helps.

With Duas and Salams.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

lsn't Witr  3 raka?

We can make Witr before long sleep and to close the night.

Sometimes we sleep day time... and we may have a dream.

Sometimes we sleep at 10: 00 pm, just to wake for tahajjud at 230am.  We may have a dream.

It is not necessary that we will have a dream during sleeping after performing witr.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Hani B. said:

It shows that you are sincere repenting and in right path. 

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Advanced Member
9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Happened once I woke up because in my dream alarm went off in dream so I got dressed wore my work clothes was about to pray fajr because it’s same time then realised what the heck it’s only 3am. I see others have a 3 am issue lol.