Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

House rules

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

My father is ordering my mom to leave to another country in 2 weeks and they aren’t divorced. I told him what if my mom(his wife) doesn’t want to go(and she doesn’t want to go that early). He told me “ it doesn’t matter what she thinks, it’s whatever I say happens.” Does he have this kind of power? I know that a women is supposed to obey her husband. But I feel as if he’s being unreasonable. Can you please educate me on this subject.

• Moderators

Even if he forces her to leave the house he will still responsible for her food, clothing and housing. If I remember correctly these things remain obligatory upon the husband even after the divorce until Iddah ends.

But I don't think the law or rulings is the solution here.  There are other underlying problems which need to be dealt with. Is their someone who can mediate things between your parents? A sensible relative or a shaykh? 

If you can tell which in country you parents maybe some members will be able to advise you about the legal options. 

• Advanced Member

Men shoild support their wives in food, cloth, house, etc. Women should also obey their husband. I think if you and your mom talk to your dad, he would understand it. Tell him that your mom doesn't want to leave that early (if she wants to leave at sll)

• Advanced Member

Not to put the islamic intricacies in the back seat but there are bigger issues at hand here. Which country are you from? 

You need to involve a third party either family members and if that doesn't exist then we need to find your countries laws that can protect your mother. 

Sorry you have to go through this. You will come out strong from it

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
20 hours ago, Ali Alsaadi said:

it doesn’t matter what she thinks, it’s whatever I say happens.

I believe the root of the problem isn't in some underlying theological premise which your father is grounded on, rather an egotistical presumption of power which comes from a cultural/societal conditioning. There are many variables that are missing which need to be present in order to assess the matter and give a well rounded answer with respect to the situation of your family, following the advice of those who recommended you get a Sheikh involved will prove to be most beneficial, for there may be certain misunderstandings as mentioned which give your father this idea of 'whatever I say goes' Insha'Allah after the involvement of a Sheikh it can change to, 'Whatever Islam says is the best route to take for me and family's afterlife goes'. 

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

Many pieces of the puzzle are missing to this story-however, I assume you would like some matters of the story to remain private. 

When it comes to Islam, both a husband, and wife are maintainers of each other. The husband, and wife both have rights, and the husbands obligation is to provide the necessities for his spouse in a way that her quality of life is comfortable, and social status isn't negatively effected.. Things such as food, clothing, health care, security, happiness, access to clean water and etc, fall into the maintenance of quality of life... 

The perfect muslim couple live a balanced marriage where each others rights are respected, and consider each other valuable members in a household. 

Once your father puts your mother in a circumstance where her quality of life is effected negatively, he has not respected his obligation as a husband, and in the Islamic perspective has failed to maintain his wife's needs. Remember, in Islam women are not seen as objects, or pets. They have emotions, rights, powers, and a brain. We have a whole sura in the Quran dedicated to our women, and our Prophet/Imams have shown us how to be stand up husbands. 

At the end of the day your dad has the power in Islamic law to an extent to force his wife to be sent away , however, he violates his conditions to his wife and must face Allah on the day of judgement. 

However, if you are living in a western, or European nation then you father will soon realize he has no legal authority to forcibly relocate your mother to a different country due to human rights/local/federal/legislation laws.. on top of that your mother has no legal obligation to listen... and ON TOP of that if her safety is at jeopardy you father will also meet the local judge in your district and he can attempt to say "it doesn’t matter what she thinks, it’s whatever I say happens" in front of the judge and see how that goes... 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 10/20/2020 at 1:31 PM, Quran313 said:

Men shoild support their wives in food, cloth, house, etc. Women should also obey their husband. I think if you and your mom talk to your dad, he would understand it. Tell him that your mom doesn't want to leave that early (if she wants to leave at sll)

May be it's unintentional on your part, but I really object to the use of the word "obey" in the above sentence. It sounds so derogatory and from a by-gone era. It has really negative connotations associated with it as if a woman is a slave to her husband. How we phrase things can completely change how one interprets the message. Thank you for understanding. 

• Advanced Member
On 10/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, Ali Alsaadi said:

My father is ordering my mom to leave to another country in 2 weeks and they aren’t divorced. I told him what if my mom(his wife) doesn’t want to go(and she doesn’t want to go that early). He told me “ it doesn’t matter what she thinks, it’s whatever I say happens.” Does he have this kind of power? I know that a women is supposed to obey her husband. But I feel as if he’s being unreasonable. Can you please educate me on this subject.

Answer can be long but a short answer would be:

"Power comes with responsibility"

He cannot get rid of this. Till the point she is his wife, she should obey her but he should take care of her, provide her with what all she needs. If he is unable to take care of her, she has the right to ask for a divorce and if he doesn't accept, she can go to a jurist to file a divorce on his behalf. 

From Islamic Laws by Sayyed al Sistani (رضي الله عنه) :

An irrevocable divorce is one in which the husband does not have the right to return to his wife after the divorce, meaning that he cannot remarry her without a new marriage contract. This divorce is of six types:

1. the divorce of a girl who has not completed nine lunar years;

2. the divorce of a postmenopausal woman;

3. the divorce of a woman who did not have sexual intercourse with her husband after the conclusion of the marriage contract;

4. the third divorce, which will be explained in Ruling 2545;

5. a khulʿ or mubārāt divorce, the laws (aḥkām) of which will be mentioned later;

6. a divorce given by a fully qualified jurist (al‐ḥākim al‐sharʿī) to a woman whose husband is neither prepared to pay her living expenses nor divorce her.

Their are many more rights but it would become very lengthy to discuss them here.