Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are there any Pagan cults left?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam everyone.

One thing that I often think about is that are there any old Pagan cults left in this world? Like the worshippers of Dagon or Hubal. 

Or have all the Idol sects mentioned in quran/bible/torah have all perished?

Not talking about Hinduism.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, guest 2025 said:

Sometimes I see people on the internet saying they're pagan. But they're just acting like how a lot of Zoroastrians do today, as in, they're only in that religion to throw a tantrum.

8 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

A lot of wicca and pagan people around the world... just go on youtube or any social media. It’s gaining popularity as well

Yeah I heard about those. I was asking about specific cults like the ones mentioned during Prophet(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) time or in old hebrew times. 

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

Sometimes I see people on the internet saying they're pagan. But they're just acting like how a lot of Zoroastrians do today, as in, they're only in that religion to throw a tantrum.

Yeah most of "pagans" are just LARPers. They don't really believe in the pagan Gods, they're only doing it for the aesthetics and it's rebellious nature. 

• Advanced Member
23 hours ago, El Cid said:

Salam everyone.

One thing that I often think about is that are there any old Pagan cults left in this world? Like the worshippers of Dagon or Hubal. 

Yes.  There are many.  Even in cities.  They literally call themselves pagans.  And they have weekly ceremonies.  I was in their facility, so I know.  

• Advanced Member

As salaamun aleikum,

I once attended a few pagan get togethers back when i was younger, and even attended a marriage ceremony that took place way out in the middle of nowhere under oak trees and next to a creek. The couple were bound at the wrist for the remainder of the day after the ceremony was finished. 

They were really laid back people,kinda like leftover remnants of the 60s.

W/s

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, shia farm girl said:

As salaamun aleikum,

I once attended a few pagan get togethers back when i was younger, and even attended a marriage ceremony that took place way out in the middle of nowhere under oak trees and next to a creek. The couple were bound at the wrist for the remainder of the day after the ceremony was finished. 

They were really laid back people,kinda like leftover remnants of the 60s.

W/s

Can you tell us a bit more about them if you remember? Like what do they worship or believe in?

In 2018, I had an encounter with Jehovah witnesses who came to my friend's house when we were hanging out. I thought they were just a sect of Christianity but they are pretty cult like from what my friend told me like they control who you can interact with or not; you even gotta cut off certain family members for life if they decide to or they cut you off. That's pretty scary. I was going to go to their event to get a closer look but then I couldn't due to school. Maybe the heavens didn't want me interacting with them lol.

• Advanced Member
On 10/16/2020 at 2:20 AM, El Cid said:

are there any old Pagan cults left in this world

Assalamu Aleikom,

depends on how you describe ,,old pagan cult",

there were pagan cults in 18th Century in Europe, in Baltic states like Lithuania and Latvia, and also in some mountain parts of modern-day Romania, they were Christianised very late,

in Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Iran, Azerbaijan and Armenia there are Yazidis, they are pagans too,

in Iran is African tribal pagan cult in Hormozgan region,

in Africa is a lot pagan cults still, in Americas too, same as in Pacific,

in Japan there is Shintoism, it´s pagan religion,

if we take Hinduism and it´s folk offshoots as Pagan, so we get enormous number of modern-day pagans.

And of course modern-day reconstructed Pagan religions like Wicca, Rodnovery etc., even in the Middle East exist some Arab re-constructed Pagan beliefs.

And if you count into it that for some people (or many people?) money is god, so you have totally new Pagan religion, even in our Islamic World.

• Advanced Member
On 10/16/2020 at 7:26 PM, El Cid said:

Can you tell us a bit more about them if you remember? Like what do they worship or believe in?

In 2018, I had an encounter with Jehovah witnesses who came to my friend's house when we were hanging out. I thought they were just a sect of Christianity but they are pretty cult like from what my friend told me like they control who you can interact with or not; you even gotta cut off certain family members for life if they decide to or they cut you off. That's pretty scary. I was going to go to their event to get a closer look but then I couldn't due to school. Maybe the heavens didn't want me interacting with them lol.

As salaamun aleikum,

Sorry i didnt respond sooner! I accidentally forgot! 

I honestly dont remember what they believed in, all i can kinda remember at this point were "nature spirits", or something like that. Its been almost 30 years since this experience!

W/s

• Advanced Member
On 10/22/2020 at 11:20 PM, HamidCZ said:

Assalamu Aleikom,

depends on how you describe ,,old pagan cult",

there were pagan cults in 18th Century in Europe, in Baltic states like Lithuania and Latvia, and also in some mountain parts of modern-day Romania, they were Christianised very late,

in Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Iran, Azerbaijan and Armenia there are Yazidis, they are pagans too,

in Iran is African tribal pagan cult in Hormozgan region,

in Africa is a lot pagan cults still, in Americas too, same as in Pacific,

in Japan there is Shintoism, it´s pagan religion,

if we take Hinduism and it´s folk offshoots as Pagan, so we get enormous number of modern-day pagans.

And of course modern-day reconstructed Pagan religions like Wicca, Rodnovery etc., even in the Middle East exist some Arab re-constructed Pagan beliefs.

And if you count into it that for some people (or many people?) money is god, so you have totally new Pagan religion, even in our Islamic World.

Thank you for your answer man. When I was describing "Old Pagan cults". I was specifically asking for the pagan cults mentioned in Islamic history and Jewish history for example the cult of Dagon where they worshipped Dagon, The Arab cult of Manat and all the stuff from back then. To see if it's still practiced. The Prophet(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was successful in eliminating these cults in His(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) lifetime and Prophet Dawud(عليه السلام) was successful in eliminating Phillistine cults such as Dagon(if I recall correctly.)

Though I don't know it's still a very scary feeling to know people worship Idols and hold pagan beliefs. 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:39 AM, shia farm girl said:

As salaamun aleikum,

Sorry i didnt respond sooner! I accidentally forgot! 

I honestly dont remember what they believed in, all i can kinda remember at this point were "nature spirits", or something like that. Its been almost 30 years since this experience!

W/s

No worries, it happens to the best of us lol Seems like a naturist cult. Glad they didn't out to be a Manson family or anything. Stay safe, sister.

• Advanced Member
On 10/16/2020 at 1:20 PM, El Cid said:

Salam everyone.

Not many, most of the really ancient ones died out because of mainly Christianity and it's prostlyzation and murdering of pagans. 

The majority of self-professed neopagans these days are personal revivalists and not continuing on tradition.

But around the world there are still native folk and shamanic pagan traditions usually of an ethnic type. Nothing of the grand level of Greek or Romans etc

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, al-Muttaqin said:

Not many, most of the really ancient ones died out because of mainly Christianity and it's prostlyzation and murdering of pagans. 

The majority of self-professed neopagans these days are personal revivalists and not continuing on tradition.

But around the world there are still native folk and shamanic pagan traditions usually of an ethnic type. Nothing of the grand level of Greek or Romans etc

Since you said most of the ancient ones have died. Is there a chance there's a small minority left? I know the Roman pantheon belief system is making a comeback nowadays.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Many pagan pantheons are making a big comeback at this point in time. A lot of the younger people in my area self-identify as pagans or "wiccans". The Norse and Celtic ones being the most popular in my area. Keep in mind that I'm speaking as an American because that's the only life I know.

This is something that I blame on the culture of America itself since Christianity has all but disappeared from American public life starting in the late 1990s and really picking up steam with the "New atheist" movement of the late 00s and early 2010s (Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Christopher Hitchens et al) so most young people in America have divorced themselves from church (and synagogue) because they see religion as "irrational superstition" as was posited by men like Dawkins and the "YouTube Atheist Community". This has left a religion-shaped hole in the lives of many younger people, and they have sought out political or civic "ideologies" to fill this religious void because let's face it: Muslims haven't been the best at reaching out to help these people fill the hole that the disappearance of widespread Christianity and Judaism has left in the lives of the Millennial and "Z" generation with rationality, reason, and logic-based religion. Dawah is something that we could all work on, myself included in this of course.

Another big part of it has to do with paganism being a "if it feels good, do it" type moral system. This mindset has been immensely popular in America since the 1960s, which is around the time that the Church of Satan was established in San Francisco (naturally) and the occult has fought a long and hard battle for mainstream recognition starting in the late 90s and culminating somewhere around the late 2010s. The revival of paganism fits perfectly with American consumer-capitalist ideology in that most if not all modern paganism is a "cafeteria" religion-- you take what you want from it and leave that which you don't. Another reason for the recent uptick in popularity of these belief systems is that there are so many of them that they can be used to "express individuality" as is a major component of American consumer-capitalism. Whereas traditional monotheism asks you to put yourself as an individual aside for the sake of community, these various pagan pantheons exist and many times, those who are deeply involved in "wicca" or paganism merely borrow from among different pantheons to build a religious belief that allows them to express their indiviudality; ie some deities from Celtic tradition, some from Norse tradition, others from Slavic, Roman, Greek, Middle-eastern, so on and so forth.