Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What is the Islamic interpretation of John 17?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Salaamun Alaykum, 
What does

1. “glorify Me together with Yourself“ and
  2. “with the glory which I had with You before the world was“ mean?

I was thinking 2 refers to Nur e Muhammad, where Jesus (عليه السلام) is a manifestation of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ali ((عليه السلام)). “'I am the one who spoke through the utterance of Jesus when he was still in the cradled.I am Noah. I am Abraham. I am Sálih Who possessed the She-Camel as His Sign.' - Imam Ali (عليه السلام). Note here that Jesus (عليه السلام) judging the world (In MAtthew) could mean Imam Ali ((عليه السلام)) Judging the world.

But I’m unsure about Point 1.

Full Quote

And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. 4 I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together [b]with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

• Advanced Member

As a Follower of Jesus, am I allowed to comment when the question is asking for an Islamic interpretation?

This passage in John chapter 17 is part of the prayer of Jesus the Messiah before he was crucified.  He knows his time has come to die verse 1 (The hour has come) and that in doing that he will "finish the work" God gave him to do (verse 4).  His death on the cross will bring glory to God because, as verse 2 says, it will open a way for Jesus the Messiah to offer eternal life to those who come to him.

For you granted him (Jesus) authority over all people that he (Jesus) might give eternal life to all those you have given him.

Jesus the Messiah is declaring that he has the authority to give people eternal life.  The only one who has that authority is The One Creator God.  So the understanding, from a Christian perspective, of these verses is that Jesus shares the Father's glory which they both have had for all eternity, because they are One together with the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.

How is God glorified, shown to be great and powerful?  By providing a way for shameful humans, who have turned away from God by following their own ideas, to come back into a close relationship with the pure God.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Jesus the Messiah is declaring that he has the authority to give people eternal life.  The only one who has that authority is The One Creator God.  So the understanding, from a Christian perspective, of these verses is that Jesus shares the Father's glory which they both have had for all eternity, because they are One together with the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.

Jesus shows the way to eternal life through his teachings thus he gives eternal life hence why he is called “Eashoa” “life-giver”. He does not grant eternal life that’s only for God to grant. 

Ur interpretation is a pagan Grecian Roman. 

John 17:1-7

“Allaha, the hour has come. Glorify your messenger, that your messenger  may glorify You. 2For You granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those You have given him. 3Now this is eternal life: that they know You, the only true Ilaha, and Eashoa Msheekha, whom You have sent. 4I have brought You glory on earth by finishing the work You gave me to do. 5And now, Allaha, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with You before the world began.

6“I have revealed You to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7Now they know that everything You have given me comes from You. 8For I gave them the words You gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from You, and they believed that You sent me.

you know very well that God says He does not share His glory with anyone, so what is meant here is that when God was a witness to everyone and to Jesus’ glory which God gave to him. God glorified Jesus with Messiahship prophethood and being messenger being the prince of peace in end of times, in the spiritual realm people testified to Jesus not one person doubted him like the Jews did on earth the same way no one doubted God in the spiritual realm. The best way to describe this verse is rumi’s way. 

https://youtu.be/YvGgaxipxsM

Skip to 1:33. 

John 17:5 “And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with You before the world began.”  Now what the trinitarians don’t show is verse 6 and 7 which then will lead a person to a rational conclusion and give the proper interpretation, here’s verse 6 and 7, John 17:6-7 6“I have revealed You to those whom You gave me out of the world. They were Yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed Your word. 7Now they know that everything You have given me comes from You.

In verse 6 it says “I have revealed You to those whom You gave me out of the word.” Now if God gave jesus those who follow him(jesus) outside of the word, which is implying/hints out before the world was created, then those who follow him are also Gods since they also existed before the world was created. Obviously that is blasphemy and polytheism. What verse 6 and verse 5 actually shows is that their was a another realm which our spirits existed, which is similar to purgatory realm, were we testified that God is our LORD and their is no other and we also testified to Jesus’s prophethood and messiahship, as we continue to read verse 6 it says “They were Yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed Your word.” Verse 6 shows that we followed God since we testified that He is our LORD, and God made us testify to Jesus’ prophethood and Messiahship, since God glorified him by making him a prophet and messiah thus all the people in the spiritual realm testified to Jesus’ prophethood and messiahship and gave him special importance.  What verse 5 is showing is, Jesus is praying to God to glorify him with the glory that he had, before the world was created, in the spiritual realm where everyone testified to his prophethood and messiahship while God was a witness over him and us, in the world aswell. This will happen when Jesus returns and everyone will testify to Jesus’ prophethood and messiahship. And also the verses show that Jesus is supplicating to God if jesus is God then who is he supplicating to ? Or what’s even worse how many Gods are their ? A God praying to another God?  (Doctrine of the trinity refuted thread) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 10/13/2020 at 8:29 PM, 313_Waiter said:

Salaamun Alaykum, 
What does

1. “glorify Me together with Yourself“ and
  2. “with the glory which I had with You before the world was“ mean?

I was thinking 2 refers to Nur e Muhammad, where Jesus (عليه السلام) is a manifestation of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ali ((عليه السلام)). “'I am the one who spoke through the utterance of Jesus when he was still in the cradled.I am Noah. I am Abraham. I am Sálih Who possessed the She-Camel as His Sign.' - Imam Ali (عليه السلام). Note here that Jesus (عليه السلام) judging the world (In MAtthew) could mean Imam Ali ((عليه السلام)) Judging the world.

But I’m unsure about Point 1.

Full Quote

Yep, in the context of Islamic theology, this is a pretty solid interpretation that doesn't contradict Shi'ism at all.

• Advanced Member

The prayer is a beautiful one (not many of it's kind at all in the NT). It very much feels like a Dua of one of the Imams, albeit not quite as eloquent but still beautiful.