Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Church Experience.

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member
18 hours ago, El Cid said:

Salam everyone. [This is a Pre-Covid Story]

I wanted to share my experience with Church and the activities that I participated in within that institute. When I moved to a new community, I was surrounded by lots of shopping centers/restaurants/cafes but when it came to spiritual matters; there were only two places near us. One was a Sunni mosque which was quite small in size and the other was a Protestant Church. I don't go to Sunni Mosques and I've never stepped foot into one my entire life; I was also quite fascinated by the idea of visiting a Church as I had never been to one my entire life. I grew up in Pakistan, the only church that I knew of was about 2 hours away from my house. That's pretty far and I hate the idea of sitting in a car for more than 30 minutes so naturally I never went.

The first time I went to their service, It was quite a strange experience for me at first as I was taken back a little by the singing that was going on. Well, there was actually a lot of singing with various instruments used from guitars to pianos. Then, there were prayers held and lots of bible readings. The pastor also greeted everyone personally after the service was over, It was one of those churches where people were regulars(Mostly middle aged people, college students like me and some old folks with the demographics being predominantly white and some latin families.) and everyone knew each other so I stuck out like a sore thumb. I had a small talk with the pastor who greeted me, He asked me if I enjoyed being here and we had a brief talk about our beliefs. He was pretty happy about the idea of someone from a different faith visiting them and handed me a flyer about the various activities that they hosted here. 

I went over that flyer, one thing that interested me was bible study as I'll admit I don't think I've ever read the bible properly in my life except for some verses here and there when I'd be looking at the beliefs of christianity so I picked going to a bible study. I had a really good experience there, the study was hosted by the associate Pastor who was very accommodating towards me. When we would read the verses, we would also contemplate on the meaning of them and often times the pastor asked for our opinion on them. I'd also give my perspective from a Shi'a point of view also when it came to matters of the forgiveness of God(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and being thankful(Basically subjects like that). Once we discussed who James was and I had no idea what anyone was talking about lol. The people in the group also liked listening to information pertaining to such concepts from the Shi'a school as most had no idea who the Shi'a even were. Another thing that I really liked learning is how much they preached against drinking. I always thought drinking was allowed in christianity. I went a few times and all my experiences were good. I wouldn't mind going again in the future but sadly they all moved it to Zoom now. 

So in short, It was a fun experience both intellectually and something I'd consider adventurous for me. 

Peace and blessings to all our Christian brothers/sisters.

Wasalam.

 

Good.  Hopefully you will benefit more from them in the future.  It is ALL about enjoying and having fun!  And that is what those Christians have right!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 10/13/2020 at 8:17 PM, eThErEaL said:

Good.  Hopefully you will benefit more from them in the future.  It is ALL about enjoying and having fun!  And that is what those Christians have right!  

I don't think it's only about having fun. From what I've seen is that they pray through singing. I'll admit it got a bit out of hand at times lol But for them it was pretty serious. But yes, It was a good experience. When the pandemic is over, hopefully they can have their regular services soon. It was a very close knit community gathering for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Administrators
On 10/13/2020 at 7:56 AM, El Cid said:

Another thing that I really liked learning is how much they preached against drinking. I always thought drinking was allowed in christianity.

Drinking alcohol in Christianity is allowed, but it frowns upon drinking too much. Some Christian sects may have developed their own prohibitions, given the obvious harm that it does.

Islam is the only religion that I know of that forbids it completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Drinking alcohol in Christianity is allowed, but it frowns upon drinking too much. Some Christian sects may have developed their own prohibitions, given the obvious harm that it does.

Islam is the only religion that I know of that forbids it completely.

I went to a Protestant Church. They clearly said it's forbidden to drink.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 10/15/2020 at 4:47 AM, El Cid said:

I don't think it's only about having fun. From what I've seen is that they pray through singing. I'll admit it got a bit out of hand at times lol But for them it was pretty serious. But yes, It was a good experience. When the pandemic is over, hopefully they can have their regular services soon. It was a very close knit community gathering for them.

How did it get out of hand?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
On 10/15/2020 at 4:47 AM, El Cid said:

I don't think it's only about having fun. From what I've seen is that they pray through singing. 

Singing really only got started in the early 19th Century, mostly driven by the musical writings of two sisters. it was/is a "praise action." Now in these mega churches it is about having a 'good time' and not mentioning Gehenna (The German "g" here has a "juh" sound as out Jehenna). Fifty and more years ago, the emphasis was "being cautious" about yourself and avoid sin ahead of time. Now they do not preach that way, but as l recently read, the church leaderships (the different large denominations) rewrote their basic narratives (similar to a political 'party line') in the early nineties

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

I went to a Protestant Church. They clearly said it's forbidden to drink.

Baptist, correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
13 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Singing really only got started in the early 19th Century, mostly driven by the musical writings of two sisters. it was/is a "praise action." Now in these mega churches it is about having a 'good time' and not mentioning Gehenna (The German "g" here has a "juh" sound as out Jehenna). Fifty and more years ago, the emphasis was "being cautious" about yourself and avoid sin ahead of time. Now they do not preach that way, but as l recently read, the church leaderships (the different large denominations) rewrote their basic narratives (similar to a political 'party line') in the early nineties

Baptist, correct?

Yes, Baptist.

13 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

How did it get out of hand?

Well there was too much singing for my taste lol. The worst part was how the singer would take a break between song, say a prayer or short story, then sing again. When I thought it'd be over, another person with a guitar showed up and so on xD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
2 hours ago, El Cid said:

When I thought it'd be over, another person with a guitar showed up and so on xD.

Typical.

On Friday the 16th on TV, l saw this interview of "Joel Hunter" l believe his name was, who is leading this evilgelicals-for-Biden project. He was 0bama's "spiritual advisor" until 2016 "when he voted for Trump" and is scheduled to be Creepy Joe's "spiritual advisor" if Creepy wins.

Anyway, the point l want to bring up is in 'reply' to and interviwer's question he 'answered' with, 'Jesus', "Iike the mob", and like this, like that, -and a sport and a bird l believe- all in the same paragraph. Really erratic stuff l thought. lt is pathetic that somebody who chirped and muttered this way is not institutionalized.

Be careful, bro. These self-confessed satanists are really 'nuts.'

ADDED: l found the link, but l didn't re-watch this.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/amanpour-and-company/video/why-pro-life-pastor-joel-hunter-voting-biden-0yjxay/ 

Edited by hasanhh
Added:
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Administrators
On 10/16/2020 at 8:24 AM, hasanhh said:

Baptists, those that take the "Nasserite Vow" and a few others chr!stian groups.

Yes, as I originally said:

On 10/15/2020 at 8:31 AM, Haji 2003 said:

Some Christian sects may have developed their own prohibitions, given the obvious harm that it does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Administrators
19 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Singing really only got started in the early 19th Century, mostly driven by the musical writings of two sisters.

Surely singing per se in Church was happening several hundred years before that, albeit by the choir. The first time I saw a drum kit in a church in London it looked a bit incongruous, but the organ behind it was no longer used, so it made sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
19 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Typical.

On Friday the 16th on TV, l saw this interview of "Joel Hunter" l believe his name was, who is leading this evilgelicals-for-Biden project. He was 0bama's "spiritual advisor" until 2016 "when he voted for Trump" and is scheduled to be Creepy Joe's "spiritual advisor" if Creepy wins.

Anyway, the point l want to bring up is in 'reply' to and interviwer's question he 'answered' with, 'Jesus', "Iike the mob", and like this, like that, -and a sport and a bird l believe- all in the same paragraph. Really erratic stuff l thought. lt is pathetic that somebody who chirped and muttered this way is not institutionalized.

Be careful, bro. These self-confessed satanists are really 'nuts.'

ADDED: l found the link, but l didn't re-watch this.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/amanpour-and-company/video/why-pro-life-pastor-joel-hunter-voting-biden-0yjxay/ 

Yeah, I just saw that lol. Well He could be a "Go with the winner" kind of guy. He saw Obama would win, then saw Trump would win and now he's with Biden because he's likely to win despite him talking about other issues like healthcare/racism. 

Though Evangelicals kinda scare me lol. Skip to 0:48 and watch the madness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

I went to a Catholic school, one time I ended up going to mass for Easter I think. I didn't really get what was going on but I ended up eating the wafer, a few of the kids were actually quite offended.

I really like the Gothic churches that you see in Europe (I can't imagine they have many of them in America?) they are really nice to look at, some of the more modern churches look like they were purchased from IKEA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

I went to a Catholic school, one time I ended up going to mass for Easter I think. I didn't really get what was going on but I ended up eating the wafer, a few of the kids were actually quite offended.

I really like the Gothic churches that you see in Europe (I can't imagine they have many of them in America?) they are really nice to look at, some of the more modern churches look like they were purchased from IKEA.

Why was eating wafers offensive? lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Why was eating wafers offensive? lol

You're not supposed to participate in the Communion ceremony unless you are Catholic. In Catholicism, infants are baptized, but before partaking in "wafers" one must acquire certain maturity, awareness, and knowledge. For most people raised as Catholics, First Communion is around 7 years old. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

Just to put it out there (and I’m not referring to OP or saying they did this) I have heard you can’t take part in their worship sessions unless you’re a separate spectator. Please correct me if I’m wrong though.

It didn’t quite make sense to me as don’t Christians just do Tawassul i.e. “Heavenly Father... in the name of Jesus ... Amen“.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Just to put it out there (and I’m not referring to OP or saying they did this) I have heard you can’t take part in their worship sessions unless you’re a separate spectator. Please correct me if I’m wrong though.

It didn’t quite make sense to me as don’t Christians just do Tawassul i.e. “Heavenly Father... in the name of Jesus ... Amen“.

Well, I didn't participate in any praying session or worship session as I just sat quietly next to an elderly couple observing everything. In bible studies, they prayed after the study so I didn't pray with them either.

As for your question, I think it'd depend if they are monotheist or believe in the trinity. I think the latter would be shirk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
9 hours ago, notme said:

You're not supposed to participate in the Communion ceremony unless you are Catholic. In Catholicism, infants are baptized, but before partaking in "wafers" one must acquire certain maturity, awareness, and knowledge. For most people raised as Catholics, First Communion is around 7 years old. 

 

9 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

The believe that it is the literal body of Christ.

Ah, so that's what you're referring to. I thought they called it sacremental bread. And here I thought brother Ali_Hussain ate a nutter butter he wasn't suppose to. :hahaha:

How did the wafer taste atleast? Was it good? Did people staring you weird make it taste better than it was?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, El Cid said:

How did the wafer taste atleast? Was it good?

Ok you know those flat bottomed ice cream cones? Now imagine a quarter sized disk of that that without any sweetness or flavor. 

The one time we made our own unleavened bread at the Catholic elementary school I attended, and they blessed it and used it for Communion, it actually tasted pretty good, about like a smooth flat crouton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, notme said:

Ok you know those flat bottomed ice cream cones? Now imagine a quarter sized disk of that that without any sweetness or flavor. 

The one time we made our own unleavened bread at the Catholic elementary school I attended, and they blessed it and used it for Communion, it actually tasted pretty good, about like a smooth flat crouton. 

Sounds good. If I had to eat that and found it tasteless. I'd cheat by carrying a small vial of crushed cinnamon or jalebi syrup. Add it secretly when no one's looking. If it's fed then, I'd sprinkle/pour in my mouth and keep it on my tongue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
43 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Sounds good. If I had to eat that and found it tasteless. I'd cheat by carrying a small vial of crushed cinnamon or jalebi syrup. Add it secretly when no one's looking. If it's fed then, I'd sprinkle/pour in my mouth and keep it on my tongue. 

Also, according to Catholics, it's the literal flesh of Jesus through a process called transsubstantiation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
16 minutes ago, notme said:

Also, according to Catholics, it's the literal flesh of Jesus through a process called transsubstantiation. 

Matthew 26:26   lt is still cannibalism --symbolic or not, lHM0

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Matthew 26:26   lt is still cannibalism --symbolic or not, lHM0

That's actually one of the complaints of the Roman Empire against Christianity. 

As I understand it, Protestants do not believe in transsubstantiation. 

Edited by notme
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
31 minutes ago, notme said:

That's actually one of the complaints of the Roman Empire against Christianity. 

As I understand it, Protestants do not believe in transsubstantiation. 

There are a few Protestant denominations that have constaniation, and use a wafer.

l dn't know which reaction icon to click above with this subject. Both to Muslims are a kufr level sin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Basic Members

Asalamu Aleykum wr wb Brother

Im new here, but I can tell you that I was Catholic aswell before. I didnt know much that Protestants actually forbid alcohol since many Protestant Christians I know (practising, non practising, religious, irreligious) in real life mostly consume alcohol.

When me and my family went to the Roman Catholic Church, there was a sacramental wine which was according to them the meaning of the Holy Communion and people drank a sip of it. But obviously the intention was not to say to consume alcohol, even still I wonder why the Church allows it.

As a kid my parents used to send me some sort of Catholic school (its similiar like Muslim parents who send their kids to the Mosque to learn about their religion). Its quite interesting when there are those dialogues & similiarties between religions

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Kenshiro said:

Asalamu Aleykum wr wb Brother

Im new here, but I can tell you that I was Catholic aswell before. I didnt know much that Protestants actually forbid alcohol since many Protestant Christians I know (practising, non practising, religious, irreligious) in real life mostly consume alcohol.

When me and my family went to the Roman Catholic Church, there was a sacramental wine which was according to them the meaning of the Holy Communion and people drank a sip of it. But obviously the intention was not to say to consume alcohol, even still I wonder why the Church allows it.

As a kid my parents used to send me some sort of Catholic school (its similiar like Muslim parents who send their kids to the Mosque to learn about their religion). Its quite interesting when there are those dialogues & similiarties between religions

Walaikum Asalam.

As the quran says: People, We have created you all male and female and have made you nations and tribes so that you would recognize each other. The most honorable among you in the sight of God is the most pious of you. God is All-knowing and All-aware.

We're all encouraged and commanded to love one another, to learn about one another and to respect one another no matter what nation or tribe we belong to. There are differences yes but they aren't more important than love.

Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you enjoy your stay here and contribute lots of experiences/knowledge from your perspective. 

And yes it's interesting, some Islamic centers host Inter-faith dialogue sessions as well: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Good experience. My experience with Christians mostly happened in my childhood time, very wonderful loving people they are.  Sayed Mohammed Baqer Al-Qazwini is doing good work with Christians. If only we can be this loving people towards all muslims brothers and sisters too.

Edited by Abu Nur
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 10/19/2020 at 9:49 PM, Abu Nur said:

Good experience. My experience with Christians mostly happened in my childhood time, very wonderful loving people they are.  Sayed Mohammed Baqer Al-Qazwini is doing good work with Christians. If only we can be this loving people towards all muslims brothers and sisters too.

He really is. I'm a follower of  Sayed Mohammed Baqer Al-Qazwini.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...