Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

i have always been someone who always over thinks. Always day dreamed back in school and always lose focus. I know I must control my thought especially during salat. I try my best I really do then I end up thinking of random things or work etc. 

I want to maximise my khushoo in salat and I know mabye sinning is affecting this. I always think of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in or out of salat but I never want to lose focus and it’s stressing me out because my whole life I overthink things. What should I do how can I improve myself? 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
  • Veteran Member
6 hours ago, Ali2196 said:

i have always been someone who always over thinks. Always day dreamed back in school and always lose focus. I know I must control my thought especially during salat. I try my best I really do then I end up thinking of random things or work etc. 

I want to maximise my khushoo in salat and I know mabye sinning is affecting this. I always think of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in or out of salat but I never want to lose focus and it’s stressing me out because my whole life I overthink things. What should I do how can I improve myself? 

Salam,

Tell us the types of things that your mind usually will focus more.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, layman said:

Salam,

Tell us the types of things that your mind usually will focus more.

Work, people , Random things, I could even randomly think of a post on Shiachat. I also think of nothing just sometimes zone out. I have my days where I focus but I only want to focus. Mabye work can be affecting me since it’s physically tiring and I am tired but that’s no excuse because everyone works. 

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Ali2196 said:

Salam,

As for your question, We're in the same boat brother. I overthink things as well but don't think of this as something negative. People who overthink things have very analytical minds in terms of thinking solutions for problems for example when I'm in a situation, I think of a hundred ways this situation can go and propose a 100 solutions to counter those scenarios if I get into them. Is this a bad thing? No it's not. However, the problem is if you're overthinking negatively about your future/school/anything that is giving you anxiety. As Imam Hassan((عليه السلام)) says only concern yourself about the present day, leave the future to Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). If this is truly bothering you, you can take anti anxiety medication or something which can alleviate your mind though I would advise against it as they have various ill side effects.

As for your question in Salat. Don't worry about other things popping into your mind. It's the work of the Devil trying his best to distract you. Sometimes when I'm praying, I get images of Hindu idols in my mind. Does this bother me? Yes, Yes it does but I know this is just a trick of the Devil to distract me or make me question my beliefs. Let your mind and thoughts wonder as much as possible but know IT'S YOU WHO HAS THE POWER to entertain your thoughts. Let them be the waves of an ocean, let them come onto the shore of your conscience and then wash away with their proper time. When you acknowledge them, that's when you have problems. This is what I tell myself before praying. My focus is on Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). My actions are for Him(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Anything else is just tricks and waswas. 

• Advanced Member

Salam brother,

I think that happens to pretty much everyone. The inability to control this bird of imagination. For namaz, what works for me is the inner dialogue I have with myself before starting namaz that I’m going to be talking to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) so that when I am reciting I’m not reciting surahs but making conversation. 

Meditation helps too? Focusing on your breathing, honing in to the different sensations taking place in your body. That also helps silence the nonstop chattering taking place in the mind. Allowing thoughts to come and go; basically becoming an observer of your own thoughts. Not judging them, but just watching them. I believe Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said something about silence creating awe. I’ve had a few sessions where I have found myself to be absolutely still with no noise whatsoever. It usually ends up with me crying in the end lol but yeah. Fascinating stuff the mind. Best wishes brother. Enjoy 

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Ali2196 said:

Work, people , Random things, I could even randomly think of a post on Shiachat. I also think of nothing just sometimes zone out. I have my days where I focus but I only want to focus. Mabye work can be affecting me since it’s physically tiring and I am tired but that’s no excuse because everyone works. 

Salam,

Your mind is very healthy.  It has good imagination.  Just you need to control and manage it.

We hear through our ears many type sounds, but we will listen to the importance portions.  We can control what we want to listen, but we can't control what the ears hear.

The heart is important and powerful tool to focus.  If a person heart falls in love, the mind will follow it.  The heart can hear, see, understand and intelligent.  The mind can hear and see physical events, but the heart is to listen, control, filter and compute.  If the heart fills with love to Allahbswt,  Nubuwwah and Imamah, then there is no way Shaitans can get in.  Maybe, if we are blessed, you will see what the Prophet and Ahlulbayt want you to see with focus which is The Greatness of Allahswt in the realm of Tauheed.

If you ever reach that understanding of Tauheed as guided by Prophet or Imams, even it is very tinny portion, you have reached the level of focus.  You would want to be in that stage all the time and your mind will follow you and your behavior will change.  And your prayer will be intense.  It will take time to materialize the focus.

Allahbswt says

Shakir 29:69] And (as for) those who strive hard for Us, We will most certainly guide them in Our ways; and Allah is most surely with the doers of good.

Hold on to Qur'an and Ahlulbayt, we will not go astray.

Wallahualam.