Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Afterlife

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hi everyone,

I am finding it so hard to believe in the idea of the afterlife. The fact the only thing the Quran says is “when they ask about the soul, say there is little knowledge give” doesnt sit well with me. Why wouldn’t god tell us about the soul? Why wouldn’t he give a idea of consciousness?

i don’t agree with atheists who say religious people made the afterlife/religion to soften death. I hardly think being accountable to sins is this utopian thing, so that doesn’t make sense to me. However, neither does external metaphysical existence.

where is the proof? Where is the thing that convinces me? “Faith” is not doing it for me. It’s like “have trust and I’ll show you”. Many people have trust and are dissapointed in things.

• Advanced Member

For me, believing in the afterlife is a consequence of believing in Islam. Because I'm convinced of Islam, I can say if this is true then therefore these other claims are true. I don't think you can argue for/against the afterlife without going through God and religion, it's not a topic that can hold up by itself so if I wanted to argue for it I'd have to think about why I'm convinced of Islam

5 hours ago, Zxqn said:

“Faith” is not doing it for me.

Imam Ali said “If the veil were removed, my certainty would not be increased.”  So I don't lean on faith or use it that much (at least I think). Sorry for not answering your question but I thought I should share my thoughts and bump your post.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

There are many Hadiths which address the afterlife and in many cases quite explicitly, we are not Quranists, therefore, the second weighty thing should suffice. 

Do you have any recommendations where I could read them from reliable sources?

• Veteran Member
15 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

For me, believing in the afterlife is a consequence of believing in Islam. Because I'm convinced of Islam, I can say if this is true then therefore these other claims are true.

This^ 

Also, this question has been answered in the Quran:

[50:1] Qaf. I swear by the glorious Quran (that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)
[50:2] Nay! they wonder that there has come to them a warner from among themselves, so the unbelievers say: This is a wonderful thing:
[50:3] What! when we are dead and have become dust? That is afar (from probable) return.
[50:4] We know indeed what the earth diminishes of them, and with Us is a writing that preserves.
[50:5] Nay, they rejected the truth when it came to them, so they are (now) in a state of confusion.
[50:6] Do they not then look up to heaven above them how We have made it and adorned it and it has no gaps?
[50:7] And the earth, We have made it plain and cast in it mountains and We have made to grow therein of all beautiful kinds,
[50:8] To give sight and as a reminder to every servant who turns frequently (to Allah).
[50:9] And We send down from the cloud water abounding in good, then We cause to grow thereby gardens and the grain that is reaped,
[50:10] And the tall palm-trees having spadices closely set one above another,
[50:11] A sustenance for the servants, and We give life thereby to a dead land; thus is the rising.

[36:78] And he strikes out a likeness for Us and forgets his own creation. Says he: Who will give life to the bones when they are rotten?
[36:79] Say: He will give life to them Who brought them into existence at first, and He is cognizant of all creation

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
5 hours ago, Zxqn said:

Do you have any recommendations where I could read them from reliable sources?

https://www.al-islam.org/last-journey-translation-manazil-al-akhirah-shaykh-abbas-qummi

• Veteran Member

Salam, @Zxqn

In Surah al Baqarah we were told that the characteristics of a Mukmin are those

[Pickthal 2:1] Alif. Lam. Mim.
[Pickthal 2:2] This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil).
[Pickthal 2:3] Who believe in the Unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them;
[Pickthal 2:4] And who believe in that which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter.

One of it, believe in UNSEEN.

And Yaqiin of the Hereafter or afterlife.

Yaqiin is higher level than just believe or trust.  Yaqiin is as if you have been to the Hereafter and seeing it.  That is what required for a muslim.

We have not witnessed the hereafter, let alone to say that we are yaqiin on hereafter.

The only Persons who has witnessed hereafter and unseen were the Prophet and Imams.  They have yaqiin on the hereafter.

We have to learn getting closer to them to have the firm belief in Unseen and Yaqiin jn the after....maarifa of Rasul(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام).

That is why Allahbswt asked us in Surah al-Fatiha to be Prophet and Ahlulbayt.

[Shakir 1:6] Keep us on the right path.
[Shakir 1:7] The path of those upon whom Thou hast bestowed favors. Not (the path) of those upon whom Thy wrath is brought down, nor of those who go astray.

We can read doa, history, Quran and other things.  But loving Rasulullah and Ahlulbayt bring us closer to them.  The best method to remove the hurdles or barriers between us and them is to read Salawat.

Reading salawats will make closer to Rasulullah and Ahlulbayt, increase our focus, improve our belief in Unseen and make us yaqiin concerning hereafter or afterlife.

• Advanced Member

Salam,

One thing I'll add is. Take as much knowledge until you are sated about a topic. When you're sated, learn even more about it so you're further convinced of the truth.

The belief in After-life also gives one hope for better things when you're at your lowest for example The Pharoh(LA) called over his servant woman who did not believe in his divinity, He then threatened to kill her infant son if she did not swear in his divinity. The infant son spoke and told the mother not to worry, they will be together soon in the next life and to let him go. Now ofcourse this refers to a miracle but you get the point. There are Muslims living in hell on earth in various parts in Africa and Middle-East. After-life gives them hope that they will get something better and their Oppressors will be punished in that life. The second thing is that belief in the Afterlife keeps you in check so you fear committing grave sins just like the laws of traffic keep you in check. If there were no traffic laws or any laws, Do you think there's going to be civility or human decency in this world?

As the Joker says in the dark knight "You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other." 

On 9/27/2020 at 6:06 AM, Zxqn said:

Hi everyone,

I am finding it so hard to believe in the idea of the afterlife. The fact the only thing the Quran says is “when they ask about the soul, say there is little knowledge give” doesnt sit well with me. Why wouldn’t god tell us about the soul? Why wouldn’t he give a idea of consciousness?

i don’t agree with atheists who say religious people made the afterlife/religion to soften death. I hardly think being accountable to sins is this utopian thing, so that doesn’t make sense to me. However, neither does external metaphysical existence.

where is the proof? Where is the thing that convinces me? “Faith” is not doing it for me. It’s like “have trust and I’ll show you”. Many people have trust and are dissapointed in things.

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

Your soul came into this world not knowing what dimension it was in ( Earth). You were essentially dead, and Allah gave you a soul, with a physical body. 

The same can be said about death. When you die, your physical body will be left in this world, but your soul will journey through to another dimension referred to as barzarkh. It's the holding area so to speak between Earth, and judgement day. 

Some verses from the Quran that bring up barzakh 

Until when death overtakes one of them, he says: Send me back, my Lord, send me back; haply I may do good in that which I have left. By no means! it is a (mere) word that he speaks; and before them is a barrier until the day they are raised. (

23:99-100)

And reckon not those who are killed in Allah’s way as dead; nay, they are alive (and) are provided sustenance from their Lord; Rejoicing in what Allah has given them out of His grace and they rejoice for the sake of those who, (being left) behind them, have not yet joined them, that they shall have no fear, nor shall they grieve. 

3:169-170)

The above mention verse prove that life after death will be spent in another dimension, where are souls will live on. We have narrations from our Prophet, and Imams that also clearly support the existence of our souls, after death.

Anyways for me, I always think of it like this. As I mentioned firstly, I came into this world not knowing where I was, or where I was going, and when I die, the same thing will happen. If I die, and nothing happens, oh well. If I die, but then I see the angels of death... well at least I had faith. 

Science can also not prove life after death exists, or doesn't. Similar to how they cannot prove the creation of the earth. It's all a theory, which essentially means an educated guess. 

Also, if I remove my faith, I still am left with the creation ...." why were we created".... " we must have greater reason to exists"..... and I refuse to accept the fact that after we die... it's lights outs. We must be in this world for a reason, it cannot simply be for play. 

WS.

• Moderators
On 9/27/2020 at 7:06 AM, Zxqn said:

Hi everyone,

There's a few different ways you can approach this topic. People have different opinion, beliefs, and life experiences, so there is no 'one size fits all' approach to convincing yourself of this. The first way, the most common was, was already stated in this thread. You believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), Rasoulallah, and Quran. If you believe that the Quran is from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) then there are literally hundreds of verses that speak of the afterlife. So Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is telling you there is an afterlife, so believe it. In fact, this is the basis. If you don't believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h), and Quran then you either won't believe in an afterlife or you will believe in it but have wrong ideas about it. If you do believe in this, there are other, logical proofs that will enhance this basic proof. 

The first logical proof is that at one point you were nothing, not even atoms. Then Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) formed what you now believe as 'you' thru various stages (Alim Ad Dhar, then the womb of your mother, then birth, etc, till death). None of this happened with your conscious will or effort. You were once non existent, then you came to exist in this world thru shaping by forces that you were not aware of. So if Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can place you in this world from non existence, why can't He(s.w.a) place you in another world which is different from this one ? What is more difficult, creating you from nothing or reforming you after various parts of your body have been dispersed ? Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) who created you from nothing will also reform you and place you again in another world as He(s.w.a) had placed you in this one. 

Why we were given little knowledge of the soul, or the 'ruh' is because this entity is the connection or the bridge for you between the world of the seen and the world of the unseen. It exists in both realms simultaneously. Even the world of the seen, this present world, how much of it do you really understand ? Most people don't have much knowledge, even of this seen world. What about the unseen world ? Obviously 99.9% of people have no knowledge of this world. So if Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) were to say, 'OK, this is how the ruh works, here are it's parts, here's how it interacts with x, y, and z, you would have to know the parts x,y, and z. If you didn't know the parts, because they are part of the unseen world, then what Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) would be telling you, to you it would sound like nonsense, although it wasn't nonsense. At that point, some people might do Kufr, because they would say 'The soul is nonsense, there is no soul'. So because Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) doesn't want us to do Kufr, he keeps knowledge of certain things away from us until we have capacity to understand them. You can't teach someone calculus before they know how to add and subtract. If you tried to do this, the child would get frustrated, maybe start crying, etc, but they definitely wouldn't learn and it wouldn't be a good experience for the teacher or the student. 

• Advanced Member
On 9/29/2020 at 9:56 AM, YoungSkiekh313 said:

Anyways for me, I always think of it like this. As I mentioned firstly, I came into this world not knowing where I was, or where I was going, and when I die, the same thing will happen. If I die, and nothing happens, oh well. If I die, but then I see the angels of death... well at least I had faith. 

Science can also not prove life after death exists, or doesn't. Similar to how they cannot prove the creation of the earth. It's all a theory, which essentially means an educated guess. 

Also, if I remove my faith, I still am left with the creation ...." why were we created".... " we must have greater reason to exists"..... and I refuse to accept the fact that after we die... it's lights outs. We must be in this world for a reason, it cannot simply be for play. 

WS.

While I agree this is something I always see religious people say. I don’t want to believe in the afterlife because I can’t comprehend a world without purpose.  I also cant comprehend that this is all there is, but then again as a whole is, life is unfair. 

• Veteran Member

If everything were to be proven and laid out to us, would it be much of a test?

That is why Imam Ali ((عليه السلام)) says “Eyes cannot see Him (Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى))) face to face, but hearts perceive Him through the realities of belief” (Sermon 179 - Nahjul Balagha). 

The atheists who say they won’t believe in God or an afterlife until it is empirically or scientifically proven need to realise that the scientific method itself can’t be scientifically proven. For most of the scientific theories scientists believe in, they haven’t done the experiments themselves and rely on testimony. In the same way, we rely on the testimony of the ‘aimmah ((عليه السلام)) and the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) that an afterlife exists. We believe in them because of the indications we get there are that their claim was true, whether that is due to the prophecies they made, their upright morals, the linguistic challenge of the Quran, or how they expressed a rational and holistic way of living one’s life.

https://www.hamzatzortzis.com/gods-testimony-the-divine-authorship-of-the-quran

https://iera.org/how-do-we-know-muhammad-peace-be-upon-him-is-a-prophet-of-god/

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Veteran Member
On 9/27/2020 at 7:06 PM, Zxqn said:

Hi everyone,

Salam,

What is afterlife?  When our souls leave our body permanently (death) and enter the realm of unseen, right?  Every body will experience death to witness the afterlife. The purpose of afterlife is to witness the Greatness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  where no one can escape. That is what we understand by afterlife and most people we say that we cannot prove it.

Can experience or take a peek at the afterlife?  Yes we could.  As long as partial part of our souls leave our body and enter the world of unseen to witness the Greatness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), we already in the afterlife (partially).

When we pray to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), where our souls go?  Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is not physical.  When we feel the Presence / Greatness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), meaning part of our souls already leave the body and we already in realm of unseen, even in short duration (micro or milliseconds).  That entrance of unseen is witnessing the afterlife.  Then only we can feel the Greatness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in the real sense in when we enter the afterlife.

After we die or when the souls leave the body permanently, we will witness the Greatness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and that moment we want to return back to our body, but we cannot.  During salah / prayer, we are able to witness the Greatness (world of unseen or afterlife )and return back to this world.  Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) ask us to do it 5 times/day.  Take advantage of our prayer to peek the afterlife return to this world and do good.

For those who prefer  the spritual Gnostic ways, they learn to put most parts of their souls to a station that is out of their body.  Basically they are having vertical death.  Body in this physically world, but souls in making zikr of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  From barzakh to hereafter and higher (liqaullah) with guidance from Ahlulbayts.  We should not dwell in Irfan unless we are invited.

Rasul (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) has been in the afterlife during mikraj and saw the hereafter (heaven and hell too) and beyond.  His souls has reached to the highest level of afterlife.  We need him to guide us during our salah / prayer so to bring us step by step toward Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  We cannot return to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) independently.

Quran say...وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُوا ۚ 

[Yusufali 3:103] And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves.

This rope is from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that is extended to the Prophet and Ahlulbayt and to us.  Holding on to the rope will pull our souls from this physical world to to reach Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Afterlife is right in front of us, don't wait until we physically dead then only we want to understand afterlife.  We must have yaqiin in the afterlife (i commented earlier).  Afterlife means witnessing the Greatness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  People in heaven / hell also will witness the Greatness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but can do much because cannot return to this world.

Wassalam