Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Khomeini and Wahdatul Wujood: Where?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam,

In many Shia videos of people "debunking" or "exposing" the late Imam Khomeini they bring up the fact that he liked Ibn Arabi (who was apostate for some reason idk) and they claim that the Ayatollah believed in Wahdatul Wujood, but for some reason they never seem to share the bloody sources. Could anybody share with me where he said these things? And also could someone explain to me why there's such a stigma around Ibn Arabi and his work within the Muslim community whether Sunni or Shia.  

Edited by Berber-Shia
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a hadith e qudsi in our books too and I remember this from Sheikh Farroh Sekaleshfar's lecture that Allah the most Glorious says that O ibn Adam when you kill your egoic self for Me then the

Imam Khomeini Ra works indicate that he believed in wahdatul wanood.You can read the Imam Khomeini s commentary on Surratul Hamad where he expresses the view that Indicates Khomeini believes wahdatul

Salam, Certain parts of belief in Sunnism contain the truth and some parts are questionable.  So take the parts that are ok and ignore those that are not ok. Same with Ibn Arabi.  On the iss

• Development Team

Alaikas Salaam, 

About Ibn Arabi - he believed in all vile things that takes him out of the fold of Islam. Infact, even many sunni scholars declared him heretic & deviated. 

The Reality of Ibn Arabi: Followed by the religious verdicts of 200 eminent sunni scholars who declared Muhiyudin ibn Arabi to be a disbeliever against his heretical beliefs and writings

https://www.amazon.com/Reality-Ibn-Arabi-religious-disbeliever/dp/B084QMDBH4

• Advanced Member
50 minutes ago, Berber-Shia said:

Salam,

In many Shia videos of people "debunking" or "exposing" the late Imam Khomeini they bring up the fact that he liked Ibn Arabi (who was apostate for some reason idk) and they claim that the Ayatollah believed in Wahdatul Wujood, but for some reason they never seem to share the bloody sources. Could anybody share with me where he said these things? And also could someone explain to me why there's such a stigma around Ibn Arabi and his work within the Muslim community whether Sunni or Shia.  

Imam Khomeini Ra works indicate that he believed in wahdatul wanood.You can read the Imam Khomeini s commentary on Surratul Hamad where he expresses the view that Indicates Khomeini believes wahdatul wajood.

Ibne Arabi was great Arif , unfortunately many shias and Sunnis call him heretic or Kaffir.

May be because they don't understood Ibne Arabi

• Advanced Member
27 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Alaikas Salaam, 

About Ibn Arabi - he believed in all vile things that takes him out of the fold of Islam. Infact, even many sunni scholars declared him heretic & deviated. 

The Reality of Ibn Arabi: Followed by the religious verdicts of 200 eminent sunni scholars who declared Muhiyudin ibn Arabi to be a disbeliever against his heretical beliefs and writings

https://www.amazon.com/Reality-Ibn-Arabi-religious-disbeliever/dp/B084QMDBH4

Ignorants think that Ibne Arabi is out of Islam.

But Ibne Arabi Ra was great Arif and genius scholar

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Alaikas Salaam, 

About Ibn Arabi - he believed in all vile things 

As for example, his beliefs of pleasure Hell is wrong:

Some of the ‘Urafā[73], mystics, deny the everlasting imprisonment of the disbelievers in Hell, the physical bodily Resurrection on Judgement Day and the torture in it. Ibn’Arabi says that the disbelievers will eventually feel “pleasure”[74] by the torture of Allah, because of their burning love towards Allah, and they would not like to leave the place. Hellfire will one day extinguish and trees and plants will grow there (it will be transformed to a Garden) and the disbelievers will be forgiven.[75] There are tenth of verses who goes against the statement of Ibn ‘Arabi about the so called “pleasure in Hell”, like

“Surely! Those who disbelieved in Our signs, We shall burn them in Fire. As often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for other skins, so that they may taste the Punishment. Truly, Allah is Ever Most Powerful, All Wise.” Qur'an 4:56

- I ask myself, how it is possible for such a knowledgeable man come to such a conclusion that any lay people can understand that Hell is an punishment that manifest God Severity. 

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

As for example, his beliefs of pleasure Hell is wrong:

Some of the ‘Urafā[73], mystics, deny the everlasting imprisonment of the disbelievers in Hell, the physical bodily Resurrection on Judgement Day and the torture in it. Ibn’Arabi says that the disbelievers will eventually feel “pleasure”[74] by the torture of Allah, because of their burning love towards Allah, and they would not like to leave the place. Hellfire will one day extinguish and trees and plants will grow there (it will be transformed to a Garden) and the disbelievers will be forgiven.[75] There are tenth of verses who goes against the statement of Ibn ‘Arabi about the so called “pleasure in Hell”, like

“Surely! Those who disbelieved in Our signs, We shall burn them in Fire. As often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for other skins, so that they may taste the Punishment. Truly, Allah is Ever Most Powerful, All Wise.” Qur'an 4:56

- I ask myself, how it is possible for such a knowledgeable man come to such a conclusion that any lay people can understand that Hell is an punishment that manifest God Severity. 

They may taste the punishment.

Dose this punishment will remain everlasting .

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Abu Nur said:

Ibn Arabi believes that they will feel pleasure from torture of punishment, but Qur'an says no.

He says at the end they fire will cool down.

Now how it is against quran.

Even if he is wrong in it. Still he is one of Genius and great scholar.

Except Infallible there is chance common people may err.

• Moderators
Just now, islam25 said:

He says at the end they fire will cool down.

Now how it is against quran.

Not that part, but read the previous part:

Ibn’Arabi says that the disbelievers will eventually feel “pleasure” by the torture of Allah, because of their burning love towards Allah, and they would not like to leave the place.

It is not only Ibn Arabi that can be sometimes wrong, but many many scholars and companions from all sects have said statements that are clearly off from Islam. I learned that the only source we can trust and take our religion from is Qur'an and Infallibles Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام).

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

Not that part, but read the previous part:

Ibn’Arabi says that the disbelievers will eventually feel “pleasure” by the torture of Allah, because of their burning love towards Allah, and they would not like to leave the place.

It is not only Ibn Arabi that can be sometimes wrong, but many many scholars and companions from all sects have said statements that are clearly off from Islam. I learned that the only source we can trust and take our religion from is Qur'an and Infallibles Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام).

Imam Khomeini Ra has extraordinaryly praised ibne Arabi.And I have have heared many othrs too are praising Ibne Arabi .

Definitely his works have made people to understand the deeper diamension of Islam.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, islam25 said:

Imam Khomeini Ra has extraordinaryly praised ibne Arabi.And I have have heared many othrs too are praising Ibne Arabi .

Some say he was doing taqiyya and was a Shia.

Anyway, Mulla Sadra who is a Twelver Shia, he also took the teachings of Ibn Arabi. We can take knowledge or philosophy all the way from China (of course don’t blindly accept but verify it)

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Advanced Member
9 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

Some say he was doing taqiyya and was a Shia.

Anyway, Mulla Sadra who is a Twelver Shia, he also took the teachings of Ibn Arabi. We can take knowledge or philosophy all the way from China (of course don’t blindly accept but verify it)

You are right everything should be verified.

Ibne Arabis works are asset to understand deeper message of Islam

• Veteran Member
  • Veteran Member

Salam,

Certain parts of belief in Sunnism contain the truth and some parts are questionable.  So take the parts that are ok and ignore those that are not ok.

Same with Ibn Arabi.  On the issue of Mercy of Allah's (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), maybe ibn Arabi might not have a clear answer.  Maybe, Ibn Arabi was thinking that we all deserve hell (except for few that are protected by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)) despite our worship and good actions.

In doa kumail  there are verses where we read as if we are from the hell.

We always believe that we will never be in hell because we believe in Shiasm and we try our best to serve Allahbswt, Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ahlulbayts...are we sure?

That love to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), even though small or just on atom counts.  Even, if we ask all humans about the Rabb, deepest in their heart will point to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) even their nafs covered it.

Even Iblis believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  but disobeyed Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) directive.

We disobey Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) directives on daily basis because of our carelessness.

Maybe we don't understand Ibn Arabi like many Shia Ariffs who studied the works of Ibn Arabi.

Wallahualam. 

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, layman said:

Salam,

Certain parts of belief in Sunnism contain the truth and some parts are questionable.  So take the parts that are ok and ignore those that are not ok.

Same with Ibn Arabi.  On the issue of Mercy of Allah's (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), maybe ibn Arabi might not have a clear answer.  Maybe, Ibn Arabi was thinking that we all deserve hell (except for few that are protected by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)) despite our worship and good actions.

We always believe that we will never be in hell because we believe in Shiasm and we try our best to serve Allahbswt, Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ahlulbayts...are we sure?

That love to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), even though small or just on atom counts.  Even, if we ask all humans about the Rabb, deepest in their heart will point to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) even their nafs covered it.

Even Iblis believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  but disobeyed Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) directive.

We disobey Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) directives on daily basis because of our carelessness.

Maybe we don't understand Ibn Arabi like many Shia Ariffs who studied the works of Ibn Arabi.

Wallahualam. 

You have nicely addressed topic and disscussed it with depth.I will try to raise some questions.

You say Ibne Arabi might be wrong in understanding the issue of Rahm of Allah. Do you have any proof that Ibne Arabi was or what is your understanding of Raham of Allah?

I don't think just shia is sufficient that someone will go into Jannah.

It all depends how one recognises Allah and safeguard one from sins.

We need to understand Ibne Arabi and his works.He was great Mystic and Philospher who once lived.And many shia scholars praise him and some call him heretic or kafir.

• Development Team

How we are leaving Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام) aside and running after mystics, the same mystics which Imam (عليه السلام) has cursed. 

It's like leaving million dollars and running after a dime. 

19 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

How we are leaving Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام) aside and running after mystics, the same mystics which Imam (عليه السلام) has cursed. 

This is quite a dogmatic and, if I may say so, irrational view. According to you each of your twelve Imams have contributed infinitely more wisdom and enlightenment to humanity than some of humanity’s other greatest mystics and philosophers.

Okay, I understand that’s the dogma, but can it practically be demonstrated? Let’s take your eleventh Imam as an example. Where can I find the great literary masterpieces and other legendary contributions of him to various fields and sciences like theology, metaphysics, science, philosophy, logic, mathematics, chemistry, literature, sociology, and so forth?

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Cherub786 said:

This is quite a dogmatic and, if I may say so, irrational view. According to you each of your twelve Imams have contributed infinitely more wisdom and enlightenment to humanity than some of humanity’s other greatest mystics and philosophers.

Okay, I understand that’s the dogma, but can it practically be demonstrated? Let’s take your eleventh Imam as an example. Where can I find the great literary masterpieces and other legendary contributions of him to various fields and sciences like theology, metaphysics, science, philosophy, logic, mathematics, chemistry, literature, sociology, and so forth?

Salam,

Please do not make such ignorant statements nor ask insulting questions like that. Please cure your ignorance by educating yourself on History. Our 11th Imam((عليه السلام)) spent most of his life in an Abbasid prison which is why we he is known as Imam Hasan Al Askari(عليه السلام). He was also martyred at the young age of 28. How would he have taught all those things in such difficult circumstances? Even His((عليه السلام)) followers couldn't reach him due to his imprisonment. Imam Jafar((عليه السلام)) taught all those things in His((عليه السلام)) school. Our later Imams((عليه السلام)) all had the capabilities to teach great things to humanity but please read about the difficult circumstances they were placed in. They((عليه السلام)) didn't have a proper chance to do great things but they managed to leave gems of wisdom for us nevertheless which is even more impressive given what things They((عليه السلام)) had to go through on a daily basis. 

• Development Team
2 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

The 14 we always talk about are authority from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and they are infallibles. So, it is only logical that an infallible divine representative of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will demonstrate correct beliefs as opposed to self-proclaimed mystics narrating his own whims that go against the teachings of Islam. 

Regarding your other question, our Aimma (عليهم اسلام) taught all the required things about Islam. They discussed tawheed and other sciences at length. They gave us beautiful supplications. One thing that also mattered was intellect of the people of his time. They were not ready to take in many advanced stuff that would have impacted humanity at much earlier stage. An eg: Imam Ali (عليه السلام) asked on Minbar, 'Ask me before you loose me'. A man rose before him and said: "Tell me how many pieces of hair there are on my head and my beard?" (Kitab al-Irshad). Why would someone even teach advance stuff to such stupid people. Still Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) used to have classes regarding different subjects. 

As usual, you're trying to digress the topic. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

I think you should check what he has said and written in books.

How you say it's leaving Imams aside.

He has not said something new.

But only what quran and Hadith says.Yes, he has convyed some esoteric diamension of quranic verses. That is good understand Islam with depth

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, layman said:

Salam,

Wallahualam. 

Salam Layman.

I think one also needs to consider one important element in these cases. My advice to people would be that if you think your heart has more questions than answers. Then, it's best to stay away from mystics and their philosophies. It'll only put you in more confusion and lead you to even more questions. If you think you have proper understanding and grasp of your own belief system/concepts/Shi'a philosophies first. Then go for it. Otherwise, best to leave it and focus on learning your own school of thought and everything that it entails. This is best for you anyway as it will lead to more clarity. The rest is just curiosity about other people.

Wasalam.

Edited by El Cid
  • Veteran Member
9 hours ago, islam25 said:

You have nicely addressed topic and disscussed it with depth.I will try to raise some questions.

You say Ibne Arabi might be wrong in understanding the issue of Rahm of Allah. Do you have any proof that Ibne Arabi was or what is your understanding of Raham of Allah?

I don't think just shia is sufficient that someone will go into Jannah.

It all depends how one recognises Allah and safeguard one from sins.

We need to understand Ibne Arabi and his works.He was great Mystic and Philospher who once lived.And many shia scholars praise him and some call him heretic or kafir.

Where Shia may differ with some issues with Ibn Arabi and Mulla Sadra.  Scholarly explanation.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Salam Layman.

I think one also needs to consider one important element in these cases. My advice to people would be that if you think your heart has more questions than answers. Then, it's best to stay away from mystics and their philosophies. It'll only put you in more confusion and lead you to even more questions. If you think you have proper understanding and grasp of your own belief system/concepts/Shi'a philosophies first. Then go for it. Otherwise, best to leave it and focus on learning your own school of thought and everything that it entails. This is best for you anyway as it will lead to more clarity. The rest is just curiosity about other people.

Wasalam.

Salam, Tq for the advise.

Shiism is very vast territory of knowledge.  Imam Ali (عليه السلام) is the gate to that knowledge.  If we spend our life time to study Islam, we still won't finish.  At least, there is minimal requirement we should know.  Everybody must acquire knowledge with sincerity and there is no other way except through the gate.  Along the way, we should be able to see or experience the beauty of following the gate.  Everyday there must be new knowledge is revealed and with clear understanding.  Not a doubt.  It enhances the love and increases the belief.

Wassalam 

• Development Team
2 hours ago, Hadi5 said:

I think you should check what he has said and written in books.

How you say it's leaving Imams aside.

He has not said something new.

But only what quran and Hadith says.Yes, he has convyed some esoteric diamension of quranic verses. That is good understand Islam with depth

Even if everything Ibn Arabi says is true, it is disrespectful to our 12 Imams, especially Imam Sadiq AS, to go to Ibn Arabi (who rejected the leadership of the Ahlulbait) to learn about Allah, the Most High. Does the truth hurt? Check your heart's inclinations.

- Brother @thuglife signature. 

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Even if everything Ibn Arabi says is true, it is disrespectful to our 12 Imams, especially Imam Sadiq AS, to go to Ibn Arabi (who rejected the leadership of the Ahlulbait) to learn about Allah, the Most High. Does the truth hurt? Check your heart's inclinations.

- Brother @thuglife signature. 

How many books are in libraies of qum and najaf .All most all books are written by Shia scholars.

There commnentry and philospical discussion on quran and Hadith.

Books on history and ethics.

Isn't reading these books disrespectful to our 12 Imams.

If not.

Then why reading books of Ibne Arabi is disrespectful to Imam.

• Advanced Member
42 minutes ago, layman said:

Salam, Tq for the advise.

Shiism is very vast territory of knowledge.  Imam Ali (عليه السلام) is the gate to that knowledge.  If we spend our life time to study Islam, we still won't finish.  At least, there is minimal requirement we should know.  Everybody must acquire knowledge with sincerity and there is no other way except through the gate.  Along the way, we should be able to see or experience the beauty of following the gate.  Everyday there must be new knowledge is revealed and with clear understanding.  Not a doubt.  It enhances the love and increases the belief.

Wassalam 

Wasalam, Layman.

I'm not saying that one must have 100% knowledge of Shiism which as you said it would take a lifetime. What I'm saying is that before venturing into the realm of other people, One should first know everything about the fundementals of Shia-ism, to have clear-cut concepts about Heaven/Hell/Judgement day and about Prophets(SW)(AS) so he does not get confused by the various things said by the mystics. Our Ayotallahs have a vast knowledge and they know all these things, so it's safer for them to read and provide their insight on matters as opposed to a common everyday person. 

1 minute ago, Hadi5 said:

How many books are in libraies of qum and najaf .All most all books are written by Shia scholars.

If not.

I really don't understand why you're fan-boying over Ibn Arabi so much. If you want to read his stuff in your time and take knowledge from him. Go for it but don't try to push this narrative onto other people. As for your question, In the books written by Shia scholars in Qum and Najaf. They don't start providing their own thoughts on every topic, they attach references to ahadith said by the Prophet(SW) and the 12 Imams((عليه السلام)), then provide commentary or philosophical discussion keeping in line with the aforementioned ahadith not by their own mystical thoughts. 

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Wasalam, Layman.

I'm not saying that one must have 100% knowledge of Shiism which as you said it would take a lifetime. What I'm saying is that before venturing into the realm of other people, One should first know everything about the fundementals of Shia-ism, to have clear-cut concepts about Heaven/Hell/Judgement day and about Prophets(SW)(AS) so he does not get confused by the various things said by the mystics. Our Ayotallahs have a vast knowledge and they know all these things, so it's safer for them to read and provide their insight on matters as opposed to a common everyday person. 

I really don't understand why you're fan-boying over Ibn Arabi so much. If you want to read his stuff in your time and take knowledge from him. Go for it but don't try to push this narrative onto other people. As for your question, In the books written by Shia scholars in Qum and Najaf. They don't start providing their own thoughts on every topic, they attach references to ahadith said by the Prophet(SW) and the 12 Imams((عليه السلام)), then provide commentary or philosophical discussion keeping in line with the aforementioned ahadith not by their own mystical thoughts. 

It is not me who push it. 

But a scholar from Qum said that the books of Ibne Arabi are taught latrer stages of acedamy and mysticism.That first the student should enough enough to understand Ibne Arabi.

Now this Indicates the reading ibne Arabi and his views is something wrong as you think.

His most views are deeper understanding of Quran and Hadith.

• Development Team
33 minutes ago, Hadi5 said:

If not.

Those books are Qur'anic verses or traditions of Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام) or their explanation. Ibne Arabi was neither shi'a nor did he had Aqeedah similar to us. That's why we can refer books written by our scholars (with an open/critical mind) but not Ibne Arabi's non-sense. 

I don't understand why some people are hell bent on learning Ibne Arabi's crap when everything we need is given by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) through Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام). 

Edited by Sirius_Bright
  • Moderators
On 9/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, islam25 said:

Definitely his works have made people to understand the deeper diamension of Islam.

His works and his opinions should be taking as particular understanding of the Islam, as he is fallible, he does sometimes have wrong understanding. 

• Advanced Member
9 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Those books are Qur'anic verses or traditions of Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام) or their explanation. Ibne Arabi was neither shi'a nor did he had Aqeedah similar to us. That's why we can refer books written by our scholars (with an open/critical mind) but not Ibne Arabi's non-sense. 

I don't understand why some people are hell bent on learning Ibne Arabi's crap when everything we need is given by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) through Ahlulbayt (عليهم اسلام). 

His books too were explaination of quran and Hadith.

I may says his aqeedeh was more perfect than common shias.

That is why Imam Khomeini ra invited non muslim and west and said  that if you want to know the Islam then bring your top most scholars to Qum where they will be taught the Books of Ibne Arabi.

Now what does this Indicates.

• Advanced Member

Is this not insulting toward your own brothers and sister? Is this how far we can go to praise a man that never believed in wilayah of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام)?

Who said he never believed in willayah of Ahlebayt as.

Why do lie.

Is not lying biggest sin.

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

His works and his opinions should be taking as particular understanding of the Islam, as he is fallible, he does sometimes have wrong understanding. 

I may say what Khomeini Ra has written indictes he was highest scholars of Islam.

• Advanced Member

No lying.  What kind of man believe in wilayah of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) while at same time praises their enemies? 

The scholars believe that is the edited portion .or wrongly ascribed to him.

He clearly belives 12 Imams.

He writing indicate Imam Ali was chiefly wali .