Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why this wrong translation?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Al Salaam Alaikum,

What are your theories about this wrong translation of this UEA Trump selling- the-palestianian-cause antichrist dajjal and sufiani unity coin?

SwordFace_540x.jpg.52017fa58f07a4a90d2ad76ee5072350.jpg

This "sahih international" translation is much closer to the Arabic (all other translations are the same that I could find):

"And if they incline to peace, then (you) incline to it"

The meaning is totally different.  One means that if the enemy you are fighting inclines towards peace, that you should do the same. The coin claims the verse says that if anyone inclines to peace, that the peace will as a result incline towards you. 

Why do you did they put this wrong translation that changes the meaning?

Thanks 

• Advanced Member

Know anyone that knows Hebrew so they can check the other translation? If one is translated incorrectly but the other correctly then I'd think it was a mistake. If not then I'm inclined to think it was deliberate though I also wonder what the intention could be 

edit: I'm gonna ask in a Hebrew language learning community. Hope you don't mind if I use snippets of your post since you explained the matter well.

Edited by guest 2025
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, guest 2025 said:

Know anyone that knows Hebrew so they can check the other translation? If one is translated incorrectly but the other correctly then I'd think it was a mistake. If not then I'm inclined to think it was deliberate though I also wonder what the intention could be 

edit: I'm gonna ask in a Hebrew language learning community. Hope you don't mind if I use snippets of your post since you explained the matter well.

Thank you brother, that is awesome! Was wondering the same about the hebrew. I hope it doesn't say "if they incline towards peace, then kick out another Palestinian" :hahaha:

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Allah Seeker said:

Thank you brother, that is awesome! Was wondering the same about the hebrew. I hope it doesn't say "if they incline towards peace, then kick out another Palestinian" :hahaha:

According to them, it's not a translation. It's from Jeremiah 14:13. 

וָאֹמַ֞ר אֲהָ֣הּ ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנֵּ֨ה הַנְּבִאִ֜ים אֹמְרִ֤ים לָהֶם֙ לֹֽא־תִרְא֣וּ חֶ֔רֶב וְרָעָ֖ב לֹֽא־יִהְיֶ֣ה לָכֶ֑ם כִּֽי־שְׁל֤וֹם אֱמֶת֙ אֶתֵּ֣ן לָכֶ֔ם בַּמָּק֖וֹם הַזֶּֽה׃ (ס)

I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! The prophets are saying to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, famine shall not come upon you, but I will give you unfailing security in this place.’”

So basically we're back to square one since for some reason the Hebrew is doing its own thing and isn't the same as the Arabic and English. 

• Advanced Member

According to them, it's not a translation. It's from Jeremiah 14:13. 

וָאֹמַ֞ר אֲהָ֣הּ ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנֵּ֨ה הַנְּבִאִ֜ים אֹמְרִ֤ים לָהֶם֙ לֹֽא־תִרְא֣וּ חֶ֔רֶב וְרָעָ֖ב לֹֽא־יִהְיֶ֣ה לָכֶ֑ם כִּֽי־שְׁל֤וֹם אֱמֶת֙ אֶתֵּ֣ן לָכֶ֔ם בַּמָּק֖וֹם הַזֶּֽה׃ (ס)

I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! The prophets are saying to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, famine shall not come upon you, but I will give you unfailing security in this place.’”

So basically we're back to square one since for some reason the Hebrew is doing its own thing and isn't the same as the Arabic and English. 

I feel that maybe they aren't using a Hebrew translation of the word, in order to avoid Jews from even thinking of reading the Quran in their language. If properly translated, it would be really close and clear how amazing that book is, as Hebrew is so close to Arabic.

One theory I thought of - concerning the clearly false translation into English - is that the true translation makes Islam clearly look like a religion of peace, and the stigma of Islam being synonymous with terrorism, would go down the drain. If they translated the verse correctly, then that would be proof of the Palestinians Muslims being a people who are bound by peace. Instead, this vague and useless translation that takes away the direct reference to enemies, and takes away the direct order to Muslims who are faced with a peace-seeking opponent, gets de-clawed and turned into a mockery of the real verse. Since when does "peace" do anything. One of God's names are "the Peace", but the translation obviously does not talk about God, as it says "it". That's just one theory, but I'm sure there are many more.

• Advanced Member

another thing, isn't this verse talking directly to the bani Israel? I could be wrong though, but it sounds like it. It's not a general statement from the Torah, like these:

Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. 

Psalm 34:14

Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other. 

Psalm 85:10

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Looks like I missed an important comment! :

I am a believer in the Christian faith, but I learn about the Jewish and Islamic religions in my leisure time.

Surah Al-Anfal [8] Verse 61 actually states (Muhsin Khan): "But if they incline to peace, you also incline to it, and (put your) trust in Allah. Verily, He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower." Quran translators Pickthall, Sahih International, Yusuf Ali, Mufti Taqi Usmani, Abul Ala Maududi and Dr. Mustafa Khattab agree with this interpretation. Note that Dr. Ghali interprets "peace" in the original Arabic as "submission". Also note that "Al-Anfal" means "the spoils of war".

For the coin, the English and the Arabic actually mean different things, so English and Arabic readers will read the verse on the coin quite differently. Also note that, the original Arabic text stops at "لَهَا" ("to it"), leaving out "وَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْعَلِيمُ" ("and (put your) trust in Allah. Verily, He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower").

The Hebrew is from Jeremiah 14 Verse 13, the original verse actually states (ESV): { Then I said: “Ah, Lord GOD, behold, the prophets say to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, nor shall you have famine, but I will give you assured peace in this place.’” } However note that the original text is about lying prophets. From the original Hebrew text ("וָאֹמַ֞ר אֲהָ֣הּ ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנֵּ֨ה הַנְּבִאִ֜ים אֹמְרִ֤ים לָהֶם֙ לֹֽא־תִרְא֣וּ חֶ֔רֶב וְרָעָ֖ב לֹֽא־יִהְיֶ֣ה לָכֶ֑ם כִּֽי־שְׁל֤וֹם אֱמֶת֙ אֶתֵּ֣ן לָכֶ֔ם בַּמָּק֖וֹם הַזֶּֽה׃") the coin producers cut out "וָאֹמַ֞ר אֲהָ֣הּ ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנֵּ֨ה הַנְּבִאִ֜ים אֹמְרִ֤ים לָהֶם֙ לֹֽא־תִרְא֣וּ חֶ֔רֶב וְרָעָ֖ב לֹֽא־יִהְיֶ֣ה לָכֶ֑ם" { Then I said: “Ah, Lord GOD, behold, the prophets say to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, nor shall you have famine }, leaving in only "but I will give you assured peace in this place". Also note that in the later verses (towards the end of Chapter 14) of the original text God condemns the lying prophets and the people to whom the prophets prophesy.

So... we have a coin with mis-interpretations and mis-translations, of a Quran verse (from a Surah literally called "the spoils of war") and a Tanakh verse, with the Tanakh verse in context, actually condemning the one who delivers the assurances of peace.

The coin producers did not do a very good job at evaluating the verses they were going to use and shot themselves in the foot.

Further reading: