Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are white muslims more liberal?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

The few white Muslim countries tend to be secular and white reverts are usually from the west. Islam exist in eastern Europe I'm guessing there secular because of the old soviet union and the Iron curtain. I don't have a problem with it if they are more reform or progressive I'm just curious as to how they are. I'm a primarily white revert sometimes I consider being a reformist but currently reject it for moderate conservative sunni Islam.

• Veteran Member

Salam,

Albanians as a whole are definitely quite secular, as to whether they are liberal that depends from what angle you are approaching the issue.

I'd say those from Bosnia and Kosovo are more religious.

The Russians from the Caucasus tend to be quite religious, I guess, but it may depend on the area, Chechens and Daghestanis seem to place a lot of importance in religion and aren't liberal for the most part.

People from Turkey tend to be fairly liberal as well from what I've seen, although some are socially conservative.

As for converts, there is no answer to that question as it varies person to person.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Advanced Member

Generally people or countries with a lot of Western Influence tend to be more liberal. Azerbaijan and Bosnia can be good examples. The most liberal Muslims I find in Asia too are heavily influenced by the western culture via different forms of media.

• Moderators

Define liberal.

I'm more tolerant of differences than most of the Muslims who I know. Does that mean I'm liberal? Or would I only be liberal if I'm walking around wearing makeup and miniskirt? I'm as white as paper. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, notme said:

Define liberal.

I'm more tolerant of differences than most of the Muslims who I know. Does that mean I'm liberal? Or would I only be liberal if I'm walking around wearing makeup and miniskirt? I'm as white as paper. 

Liberal as in more permissive in the way you personally practice your own faith.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, musa shakr said:

Liberal as in more permissive in the way you personally practice your own faith.

The white reverts who I've known in real life often seem to make a point of practicing extra thoroughly. I don't know that many people though. 

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

Depends what you mean by "liberal". If you were born, and grew up in a western country, or some parts of Europe then odds are you have more liberal views on issues such as homosexuality, health-care, human / individual rights, and etc.... some people can also be moderately conservative, or just in the middle. 

Many middle-eastern nations are also becoming slowly Liberal, and removing themselves from their traditional Islamic roots. This is all due to progress in technology, advancement of sciences, world events, influence of social rights movements and various other factors. Also, many middle-eastern nations are feeling the pressure to adapt to a western influenced culture, and not feel alienated amongst other global nations. 

But it also depends largely where you live, many millennials and Gen Z will have Liberal views due to their access to information via technology. This is the information/technology era, and our generation is far more educated than our forefathers. 

Edited by YoungSkiekh313