Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Being idle and lazy is looked at unfavourably, a bit of help please

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum,

If you guys read my previous posts I kinda quit my job. I’ve been looking for a way to make halal income, having a job allows me to have structure in my life. But I can’t find any that are halal, in fact most of my days are just spent at home reading on religion contributing nothing to the world. My knowledge isn’t even that good. Every single job seems to have haram in some form or another, whether it’s working at a retail store that sells alcohol to working as a delivery driver not knowing you’re delivering a haram product.

most of my friends are meeting and have qualifications so they can do good jobs. I am very attached to my religion so I restrict a lot of things for me, unfortunately it seems like to be a person who makes it too the top in this world you have to be Machiavellian in your personality.

Islam doesn’t encourage idleness or laziness. Just look at hadiths from our Imam AS, doing nothing is kind of detestable. But my perception of the world will not change, either I lose the world or I lose my religion. I have no ambitions in life and tbh it seems like to even get a wife they want someone who has good qualification and isn’t a black and white guy like me. 

Edited by Labbayka
  • Advanced Member

I don't think it's a coincidence that all these jobs that are on your plate happen to be haram. I think you're being tested, and that you've filled in the correct answer on every question by turning these jobs down. Stay patient brother, Allah recognizes your respect for Him and will reward you for it, who knows what He now has in store for you.

If you want something to do, then why not volunteer at a mosque or join a foundation like WhoIsHussein?

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Labbayka said:

Machiavellian

Wa Alaikum al salaam,

I don't think that it's necessarily bad that you have the chance to stay home and study religion if you can. Pick up a hobby based on what interests you. 

I read machiavelli 'The Prince' fleetingly about two years ago, and felt that the core principle of it to be good in intention, but I could be wrong. It would be interesting to have a book discussion on this in relation to Islam. 

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Allah Seeker said:

Wa Alaikum al salaam,

I don't think that it's necessarily bad that you have the chance to stay home and study religion if you can. Pick up a hobby based on what interests you. 

I read machiavelli 'The Prince' fleetingly about two years ago, and felt that the core principle of it to be good in intention, but I could be wrong. It would be interesting to have a book discussion on this in relation to Islam. 

I think it would, a lot of Islamic Empires have risen to some form of Machiavellianism, including the early Salaf.

10 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that all these jobs that are on your plate happen to be haram. I think you're being tested, and that you've filled in the correct answer on every question by turning these jobs down. Stay patient brother, Allah recognizes your respect for Him and will reward you for it, who knows what He now has in store for you.

If you want something to do, then why not volunteer at a mosque or join a foundation like WhoIsHussein?

Thank you for your kind words brother, I have full patience and trust in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but I still feel my time and life are being wasted.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Labbayka said:

I think it would, a lot of Islamic Empires have risen to some form of Machiavellianism, including the early Salaf.

In my opinion machiavelli's intentions have been read wrong. I don't think he's a devil . I just think that word is wrongly used these days. But I think I understand what you mean and are trying to say. It's like usurping-caliphism.

• Advanced Member

Become a plumber. Good pay. Independent. Possible downsides are maybe working in filthy circumstances (not a problem for everyone) and/or clients who aren't really the nicest.

Edited by Berber-Shia
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
8 minutes ago, Labbayka said:

I’m 22

You've got your whole life ahead of you, so it's good that you feel the need to do something meaningful. Remember that it all starts with a concern, so don't push this feeling away. As men it's natural for us to feel this way, we are supposed to be carrying around bricks and working hard. It's within us to become successful and to take on risks. Don't let this demotivate you, it should actually help you move forward. The worst advice you will ever recieve from someone - is to sit down and do nothing about it.  

You know yourself better than us, you just need to sit down and come up with a proper actionable plan. For the time being, I would also advise you to not use social media as often, it makes us feel worse about ourselves since we compare ourselves to others. The best thing you can do is to invest in yourself and take a break from the online world (if You haven't been already doing that).

But remember that you're young, be creative right now and start looking at all your options. What we do during these years sets the tone for the rest of our lives. You've got this brother!