Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did God Have a Choice to Not Create?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Also, how can you affirm God is merciful and not a person. Mercy can only be associated with personhood. A non-person can’t be merciful by definition.

I was simply asserting that to deny Tashbih and to affirm ONLY Tanzih is to not be in line with the Islamic Worldview.  

Yes, from the Islamic point of view God is not just mercy but also merciful.  I am not saying otherwise.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Punishment (Azab) is not eternal.  Some of the greatest mufassirs have pointed out that Azab shares the same root as the arabic word for sweet(Azeeb) which means that the punishment will eventually be

Are not you aware that Allah has created the heavens and the earth in accordance with Truth? He can, if He so wills, do away with you and bring forth a new creation [14:19]

God treats everyone equally.  His Mercy for everyone is equal.  Because His Being is that mercy.  And His Being is equally there for all (His Being is everywhere in the sense that there is no place th

10 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

The Islamic worldview

Please explain in light of the Islamic worldview (not your personal theology or lack thereof) how or why God is not a person.

If by tashbih you mean God's immanence, as the clip from Murad is using that term, then I have no issue with it, but we avoid the term "tashbih" because it literally means resemblance.

God is both transcendent and immanent. These are reflected in His Names al-Batin and al-Zahir respectively.

That God is a person and is personal is part of His immanence.

14 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Yes, from the Islamic point of view God is not just mercy but also merciful.  I am not saying otherwise.

Merciful, loving, generous, patient, vengeful, jealous, happy, willing and so forth, these are all expressed qualities of God which can lead to only one conclusion, He is a person. By ascribing these qualities to God, it is obvious Islam conceives of Him as a person.

So on what basis did you deny that Islam teaches God is a person?

Edited by Cherub786
36 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

I would rather side with a Cambridge professor

Since you revere Cambridge, let me quote the Cambridge dictionary. It says that person is “used when describing someone’s character” for example “she’s an extremely kind person”.

Now I suppose you will deny God has a character.

Person” is also a grammatical construct: “used in grammar to describe the verbs and pronouns that refer to the different people in a conversation. The first person ("I" or "we") refers to the person speaking, the second person ("you") refers to the person being spoken to and the third person ("he", "she", "it", or "they") refers to another person or thing being spoken about or described:”

Now this definition is very good, because it adds the fact that in third person what is being referred to or spoken about is not necessarily always a person but a “thing” too. For example, if I’m speaking about a rock, which isn’t a person, “it is very hard”.

But according to Cambridge dictionary, first and second person can only refer to a person.

Now if we read the Quran, God speaks in the first person plenty of times, and God is spoken to in the second person plenty of times. That is decisive proof, according to Cambridge, that God is a person.

A non-person doesn’t say “I” and a non-person is not addressed as “you”.

This is explicit proof that Islam teaches Allah is a person شخص

وَلاَ شَخْصَ أَغْيَرُ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَلاَ شَخْصَ أَحَبُّ إِلَيْهِ الْعُذْرُ مِنَ اللَّهِ مِنْ أَجْلِ ذَلِكَ بَعَثَ اللَّهُ الْمُرْسَلِينَ مُبَشِّرِينَ وَمُنْذِرِينَ وَلاَ شَخْصَ أَحَبُّ إِلَيْهِ الْمِدْحَةُ مِنَ اللَّهِ مِنْ أَجْلِ ذَلِكَ وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الْجَنَّةَ

No person is more jealous of his honor than Allah, and no person is more fond of accepting an excuse than Allah, on account of which He has sent Messengers, announcers of glad tidings and warners; and no person is more fond of praise than Allah on account of which Allah has promised Paradise (Sahih Muslim)

In this blessed Hadith, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم affirmed the shakhsiyyah or personhood of Allah three times.

Edited by Cherub786
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Cherub786 said:

Merciful, loving, generous, patient, vengeful, jealous, happy, willing and so forth, these are all expressed qualities of God which can lead to only one conclusion, He is a person. By ascribing these qualities to God, it is obvious Islam conceives of Him as a person.

So on what basis did you deny that Islam teaches God is a person?

Are you not reading my posts? 

• Advanced Member
34 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

This is explicit proof that Islam teaches Allah is a person شخص

وَلاَ شَخْصَ أَغْيَرُ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَلاَ شَخْصَ أَحَبُّ إِلَيْهِ الْعُذْرُ مِنَ اللَّهِ مِنْ أَجْلِ ذَلِكَ بَعَثَ اللَّهُ الْمُرْسَلِينَ مُبَشِّرِينَ وَمُنْذِرِينَ وَلاَ شَخْصَ أَحَبُّ إِلَيْهِ الْمِدْحَةُ مِنَ اللَّهِ مِنْ أَجْلِ ذَلِكَ وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الْجَنَّةَ

No person is more jealous of his honor than Allah, and no person is more fond of accepting an excuse than Allah, on account of which He has sent Messengers, announcers of glad tidings and warners; and no person is more fond of praise than Allah on account of which Allah has promised Paradise (Sahih Muslim)

In this blessed Hadith, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم affirmed the shakhsiyyah or personhood of Allah three times.

Are you not reading my posts? Just replying to it for the sake of it??  it seems 

????

Edited by eThErEaL
Just now, eThErEaL said:

Are you not reading my posts? Just replying to it for the sake of not?  it seems 

????

Isn’t this what you said:

God is not a person. your views about God don’t sound very Islamic to me.

I just refuted you and have decisively proven that according to Islam God is necessarily a person.

I would argue belief in God’s personhood is the most fundamental concept of Islamic theology.

• Advanced Member

Since you revere Cambridge, let me quote the Cambridge dictionary. It says that person is “used when describing someone’s character” for example “she’s an extremely kind person”.

It appears that just like Urdu & Arabic, your English is also poor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/person

That someone must be a human being because of the limitation of the meaning of Person mentioned in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

Allah is a person شخص

شخص : - رجل أو ولد

شخص is also used to mention individual or being etc.

لاَ شَخْصَ أَغْيَرُ مِنَ اللَّه

شخص here metaphorically used for ذات

And to further bury your irrefutable proof, I am quoting another similar hadith:

عن أبي عبد الرحمن عبد الله بن مسعود رضي الله عنه قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: (لا أحد أغيَر من الله عز وجل، من أجل ذلك حرم الفواحش ما ظهر منها وما بطن، ولا أحد أحب إليه المدح من الله، من أجل ذلك مدح نفسه، ولا أحد أحب إليه العذر من الله، من أجل ذلك بعث النبيين مبشرين ومنذرين) رواه البخاري ومسلم.

19 minutes ago, Cool said:

It appears that just like Urdu & Arabic, your English is also poor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/person

That someone must be a human being because of the limitation of the meaning of Person mentioned in the first place.

My English isn’t poor, rather you have no clue how to read and understand a dictionary. A word in a dictionary sometimes has multiple definitions, such as the word “person”. There can be a primary, secondary even tertiary meaning of the same word. So “a man, woman, or child” is only one of the possible definitions of “person”, it is by no means the only definition.

For example, on dictionary.com you have the philosophical definition of person: “a self-conscious or rational being”. According to this definition, God according to Islam is a person, because He is a “self-conscious being”.

• Advanced Member

Isn’t this what you said:

I just refuted you and have decisively proven that according to Islam God is necessarily a person.

I would argue belief in God’s personhood is the most fundamental concept of Islamic theology.

Right.  I am an Atheist.  So When I said "God is not a person PERIOD" I was not expressing the Islamic view.  Did you not read my later posts?  I also said, you were not expressing the Islamic view either.

Edited by eThErEaL
26 minutes ago, Cool said:

شخص is also used to mention individual or being etc.

Exactly. God is a an individual, a being, therefore, He is a shakhs.

26 minutes ago, Cool said:

And to further bury your irrefutable proof, I am quoting another similar hadith:

عن أبي عبد الرحمن عبد الله بن مسعود رضي الله عنه قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: (لا أحد أغيَر من الله عز وجل، من أجل ذلك حرم الفواحش ما ظهر منها وما بطن، ولا أحد أحب إليه المدح من الله، من أجل ذلك مدح نفسه، ولا أحد أحب إليه العذر من الله، من أجل ذلك بعث النبيين مبشرين ومنذرين) رواه البخاري ومسلم.

How does that refute anything?

2 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Right.  I am an Atheist.  So When I said God is not a person I was not expressing the Islamic view.  Did you not read my later posts?  

You also said

your views about God don’t sound very Islamic to me.

So in my subsequent posts I quoted Islamically sound arguments to justify my theology that God is a person and is a personal God, thereby refuting your allegation that my views about God don’t sound Islamic.

At any rate, do you at least admit that in Islamic theology God is a person and is a personal God?

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, dragonxx said:

there is no doubt that by the time Yazid reached the end of his life, there is no love for him. 

So at the beginning there was love for Yazid. that is why God created Yazid... and then oops something got fudged up.  

He (i.e. Yazid) messed God's creation up through his freewill and became a black spot on God's immaculate tablet of artistry.  yukhh..., now God has a problem to take care of... He has to somehow get rid of this mess.... but it seems to be a stain He can't remove, He has to therefore punish Yazid in the most horrific manner for eternity (as that is all He can do).  Wouldn't it be better if God made it such that the spot never had existed?

What do you say?

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

So at the beginning there was love for Yazid. that is why God created Yazid... and then oops something got fudged up.  

9 hours ago, dragonxx said:

Even if I were to concede to your point that at some point...

don't take what i said out of context... i never stated "at the beginning" there was love. I went along with your eccentric perception of God for the sake of argument, and given my point was proven, I'm not interested in entertaining further.

• Advanced Member
On 10/11/2020 at 7:43 AM, Cherub786 said:

God is a real Person

Allah is not a person in your sense of the word, though He may appear a person to you. He is that infinite ocean of consciousness in which all happens. He is also beyond all existence and cognition, pure bliss of being. There is nothing He feel separate from, hence He is all. No thing is 
He, so He is nothing. He is the power that makes the fire burn and the water flow, the seeds sprout and the trees grow. There is nothing personal about Him, though the language and the style may appear personal. A person is a set pattern of desires and fears and resulting actions; there is no such pattern in His case. There is nothing He desire or fear -- how can there be a pattern? 

1 minute ago, Shahrukh K said:

Allah is not a person in your sense of the word, though He may appear a person to you. He is that infinite ocean of consciousness in which all happens. He is also beyond all existence and cognition, pure bliss of being. There is nothing He feel separate from, hence He is all. No thing is 
He, so He is nothing. He is the power that makes the fire burn and the water flow, the seeds sprout and the trees grow. There is nothing personal about Him, though the language and the style may appear personal. A person is a set pattern of desires and fears and resulting actions; there is no such pattern in His case. There is nothing He desire or fear -- how can there be a pattern? 

Where is this taught in the Quran?

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Shahrukh K said:

Allah is not a person in your sense of the word, though He may appear a person to you. He is that infinite ocean of consciousness

His knowledge encompasses all things.

in which all happens.

And all things are in his power/ control.  

He is also beyond all existence and cognition

There is nothing like unto Him.

, pure bliss of being.

Allah is Rahman and Raheem.

There is nothing He feel separate from,

To him belongs / depends all of which is in the Heavens and the Earth.

hence He is all.

Wherever you turn there is His face.

No thing is 
He, so He is nothing.

Nothing is like unto Him.

He is the power that makes the fire burn and the water flow, the seeds sprout and the trees grow.

Signs mentioned in the Quran

There is nothing personal about Him,

Tanzih (There is nothing like unto Him (aka, His Essence)

though the language and the style may appear personal.

Tashbih (He "appears" personal) Because everything (including persons) is nothing but a manifestation of His names and attributes.

6 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

So you haven't been reading the Quran?  Those sound like they are derived straight out of the Quran.

I have read the holy Quran, I never came across anything that speaks of God as “He is all” “He is nothing” “There is nothing personal about Him”

On the contrary, the conception of God taught in the Quran is an intensely personal being, actively involved in human affairs, having personal relationships with various human individuals and even collective relationships with entire nations of people. He exhibits a variety of what we call “emotions” like happiness, fury, jealousy, forbearance, and so forth.

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Cherub786 said:

I have read the holy Quran, I never came across anything that speaks of God as “He is all” “He is nothing” “There is nothing personal about Him”

On the contrary, the conception of God taught in the Quran is an intensely personal being, actively involved in human affairs, having personal relationships with various human individuals and even collective relationships with entire nations of people. He exhibits a variety of what we call “emotions” like happiness, fury, jealousy, forbearance, and so forth.

Right.  you are pointing out the tashbih aspects that are mentioned in the Quran..

But there is also the tanzih part AS WELL.  for the 100th time.

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

For example, on dictionary.com you have the philosophical definition of person: “a self-conscious or rational being”

Which philosophical definition is there in the books of philosophy on which there is اجماع of philosophers? 

7 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

Exactly. God is a an individual, a being, therefore, He is a shakhs.

You cannot simply give examples/analogies for God on your own. Keep in mind your limits as mention here:

فَلاَ تَضْرِبُواْ لِلّهِ الأَمْثَالَ إِنَّ اللّهَ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لاَ تَعْلَمُونَ

16:74 

Now, I would like to see where in Quran Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has mentioned Himself as "shakhs"? 

Apart from that there is a disagreement among Sunni's whether it is correct to call Allah as Shakhs. 

Those who say it is permissible, gives the example that we can call Him shay (thing) on the basis of few verses of Quran, that's ok. But which verse do they have to justify that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can be called as "Shakhs"? 

And Shakhs doesn't mean "Person" in that hadith, it means Being, according to your most senior scholars.

• Advanced Member
On 10/10/2020 at 3:56 AM, eThErEaL said:

Non-duality

Does non duality exist?  We only know up because of down, we only understand fast because there is slow.  We can only define evil because we recognise good

Maybe we can say that God is the unltimate reality because he is non-dual.  He is the one God.  From him eminates love without hate, Justice without prejudice, Truth without falsehood.

He alone is worthy of worship, honour and service because everything else is mared by duality.

Have I made sense??????

• Advanced Member
On 10/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, dragonxx said:

Regardless, coming back to my first question to @Dave follower of The Way, to which you responded He is Love,

some humans being deprived of Allah's love means that Allah does not love everyone. It's ludicrous to even fathom that fools like Yazid (la) have love from God.

It seems that this idea of God is love has opened a can of worms!!!

God loves everyone whoever they are and whatever they do.  His love is unlimited and  his showing of love is not restricted.

However this does not mean that he loves the evil things we do.  Yes God loves Yazid just as he loves me and you because we are all people made in his image.  But the evil that you and I do along with the evil that Yazid did is not something that God loves or afferms.

Because his love is boundless and unlimited he wants us to turn from our evil ways and receive his loving gracious forgivness.  I'm so grateful that his love breaks through the evil in my life and transforms me so I can reflect his love.

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

In Islamic Theology God is personal and not personal.

I've just read through this thread quickly and maybe not understood everything but I think the idea of God being a person or personal is going the wrong way.  It seems that the arguments are trying to define God's "personhood" by using the idea of human "personhood".  I suggest that we should go the other way round and look at God first.

The creation account in Genesis reports the following Genesis chapter 1

God said “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

According to this account, it is because of who God is that we are what we are.  Our personhood reflects something of who God is.  God is personal so we are too.

If God did not have personhood then humans, as people, would not be able to relate to him on an intimate personal level.  He would always be distant and "other"

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

It seems that this idea of God is love has opened a can of worms!!!

God loves everyone whoever they are and whatever they do.  His love is unlimited and  his showing of love is not restricted.

However this does not mean that he loves the evil things we do.  Yes God loves Yazid just as he loves me and you because we are all people made in his image.  But the evil that you and I do along with the evil that Yazid did is not something that God loves or afferms.

Because his love is boundless and unlimited he wants us to turn from our evil ways and receive his loving gracious forgivness.  I'm so grateful that his love breaks through the evil in my life and transforms me so I can reflect his love.

No point in studying for a medical licensing exam if everyone will end up with a 100% anyway. Let alone someone who cheats on the exam and is caught red-handed... forget failing him and banning him from ever being a doctor in the country. This is called injustice. And we know justice is with God and God is with justice. 

But if what you say truly makes sense to you, I suppose you don't mind paying and being treated by a doctor who did 0 studying, all cheating. Good luck in heaven sir.

I on the other hand don't want to be in a heaven where people are still killing each other; that's no different from hell.

And no, people are not going to forgive their malicious slaughterers like the Kabugas, Yazids, Shimrs, Jeffrey Dahmrs, El Chapos, Suge knights, Hitlers, etc. etc. Nor does God's love (reward) include them, rather His hate (punishment) encompasses them.

• Advanced Member
On 10/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Does non duality exist?  We only know up because of down, we only understand fast because there is slow.  We can only define evil because we recognise good.

And to add: we know existence because know non-existence.  So, to ask, “does non-duality exist?” is not the right question.  Non-duality is not something that either exists or doesn’t exist.  And also, non-duality is not something (at all)!  It is like space.  Now space doesn’t really exist, but nor does it not exist.  Things in space exist or things in space can cease to exist, but space itself neither exists nor does it not-exist! The reason is because space is not a THING!  Space Itself, paradoxically, turns out to be spaceless.  We can call space spaceless.  

The situation is the same with non-duality.  Non-duality is not a thing that exists or does not exist.  Non-duality is that within which things appear/exist or things do not appear/do not exist.  

Maybe we can say that God is the unltimate reality because he is non-dual.  He is the one God.  From him eminates love without hate, Justice without prejudice, Truth without falsehood.

sure you can say that.

He alone is worthy of worship, honour and service because everything else is mared by duality.
Have I made sense??????

Yes, that makes sense

• Advanced Member
On 10/12/2020 at 5:46 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

I've just read through this thread quickly and maybe not understood everything but I think the idea of God being a person or personal is going the wrong way. 

Yes.  God in Himself is not a person.

It seems that the arguments are trying to define God's "personhood" by using the idea of human "personhood". 

personhood is personhood.  Whether human or whatever.  Personality, persona, person.  Whether this person is tiny or huge.  Whether this person is cosmically huge or microscopically small.  Whether this person has complex properties or simple properties.  A person is a person.  So to say God is a person, is a kind of limitation.  But it is also becomes a limitation to MERELY say that God is absolutely beyond personhood.  Because it overlooks the fact, as you correctly mentioned, that our personhood has its source in and is derived from God!  

I suggest that we should go the other way round and look at God first.

The creation account in Genesis reports the following Genesis chapter 1

God said “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

According to this account, it is because of who God is that we are what we are.  Our personhood reflects something of who God is.  God is personal so we are too.

If God did not have personhood then humans, as people, would not be able to relate to him on an intimate personal level.  He would always be distant and "other"

:)

• Advanced Member
On 9/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, SoRoUsH said:

Salam, 

For God to be known and worshipped, the presence of the knowers and worshippers is necessary. Without the created beings, God's names and attributes would either be irrelevant or useless. Without the created beings God couldn't "do" anything. Everything that God is or does is meaningful only in relation to the created beings/things. 

We often ask, why did God create. 

However, a better, more fundamental question would be, based on everything we know about God, could God not have created the cosmos and things? In other words, did God have a choice to create or not to create things? 

If He did not have a choice, then it would not make sense to ask, why He created things, because He did not have a choice to not create things. 

the ultimate answer which 99% of mankind cannot understand and which can be easily misunderstood is:

Your essential reality is God.

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
On 9/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, SoRoUsH said:

Salam, 

For God to be known and worshipped, the presence of the knowers and worshippers is necessary. Without the created beings, God's names and attributes would either be irrelevant or useless. Without the created beings God couldn't "do" anything. Everything that God is or does is meaningful only in relation to the created beings/things. 

We often ask, why did God create. 

However, a better, more fundamental question would be, based on everything we know about God, could God not have created the cosmos and things? In other words, did God have a choice to create or not to create things? 

If He did not have a choice, then it would not make sense to ask, why He created things, because He did not have a choice to not create things.  

God’s Being is free and Infinite.  And since it is free it is not restricted to itself.  It does not withhold itself to itself.  Therefore It will apparently becomes other than itself.  It will apparently pretend to forget itself.  This pretending to apparently forget itself is what we call ourselves in our state of “ghafla”.

• Veteran Member
On 10/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Hello Dave,

I hope you’re doing well and I just wanted to give my 2 cents on this topic.

I like what you wrote and I think from a Muslim perspective, God says His mercy “Rahma” encompasses all things and that He is “The Compassionate”. So I believe this mercy and compassion will be for all of creation. However, his special love is for His righteous servants. This “love” is for those who do good, keep themselves pure, repent, place their trust in Him, act justly, are steadfast, are God-conscious and follow His Messengers and Prophets. 
May God make us of those who earn this special love.

God bless you

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Advanced Member
4 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Hello Dave,

I hope you’re doing well and I just wanted to give my 2 cents on this topic.

I like what you wrote and I think from a Muslim perspective, God says His mercy “Rahma” encompasses all things and that He is “The Compassionate”. So I believe this mercy and compassion will be for all of creation. However, his special love is for His righteous servants. This “love” is for those who do good, keep themselves pure, repent, place their trust in Him, act justly, are steadfast, are God-conscious and follow His Messengers and Prophets. 
May God make us of those who earn this special love.

God bless you

God treats everyone equally.  His Mercy for everyone is equal.  Because His Being is that mercy.  And His Being is equally there for all (His Being is everywhere in the sense that there is no place that His Being is not).  The reason why it is said that some people receive His SPECIAL MERCY is not because God gives them a different treatment, but it is because those people, by understanding God's Unconditional and Equally Accessible Mercy and by appreciating IT, are capable of enjoying IT more.  

Two beggars get $5 dollars but one truly appreciates it more than the other and consequently finds more joy and happiness in it than the other.  Now the reality of our situation is similar except that instead of $5 Dollars we are talking about the very BEING of God.  God does not offer us anything accept Himself for there is nothing else except Himself. 

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Veteran Member
1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

God treats everyone equally.

WRONG !

Ayat 38:28

You can say Allah-(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). holds everyone of el-Alamin to the same standard and thier intentions, but not "equally" either in the Here or on the Last Day.