Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

well we decided not to get lax with precautions until this is confirmed. It's not like we are 100% sure of anything right now. So I would encourage anybody to treat the situation as if it's serious and that there really is a virus (even though there probably isn't  :dwarf:)

R u for real Bro?

People are dying...I'm seeing it by my own eyes...I hope u r not roaming around the city and places like it's nothing...

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m an “anti-masker” I deliberately do not wear a mask in public, including on public transportation though it is mandatory, and in stores. Although I am politely told to wear a mask I always shake my

Gonna have to disagree with this one, sorry. People being gainfully employed and being able to eat and provide for their families is much more important than communal religious activities. You don't n

I don't know man. For me, it was the opposite case. The first death that personally affected me was of my 25 year old friend who had no pre-existing medical conditions. She got positive for corona and

Posted Images

• Moderators
2 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

you can forget it! If I ever study maths, I'll do some vedic mathematics or something not mainstream. I hate the modern maths that teaches "long" division. That means they know there is a shorter one! Really! How mean!

Of course you don't trust mainstream math! Why am I even surprised?

• Veteran Member

Some people are suggesting that agricultural countries are going to become next super powers. It makes sense because I see that food prices are going up. Which countries are agricultural countries? India, Pakistan? Are they going to become super rich and dollar is going to lose its value? 

• Forum Administrators

So, roughly speaking, we might say that getting COVID-19 is like packing a year’s worth of risk into a week or two. Which is why it’s important to spread out the infections to avoid the NHS being overwhelmed.

David Spiegelhalter Statistician, communicator about evidence, risk, probability, chance, uncertainty, etc. Chair, Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication, Cambridge.

https://medium.com/wintoncentre/how-much-normal-risk-does-covid-represent-4539118e1196

• Forum Administrators
2 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

Now I give the same questions to you brother. Do you know anyone working in the hospital with covd infected people? what have they told you about the situation?

Well one person I have just spoken with works in north London as a General Practitioner, he tells me that all non-urgent work has been stopped, only hospital referrals are for cancer, hospitals have cancelled all other work. He's seeing about 70 people a day who are CV19.

Flu does not do this.

Of course the country and region you are in may have been affected differently. 

• Unregistered
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

Well one person I have just spoken with works in north London as a General Practitioner, he tells me that all non-urgent work has been stopped, only hospital referrals are for cancer, hospitals have cancelled all other work. He's seeing about 70 people a day who are CV19.

Flu does not do this.

Of course the country and region you are in may have been affected differently. 

That is very odd indeed if he certainly spoke the truth. Because it's not even close to that where I live. And again maybe it's the region or maybe it's something else.

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

Some people are suggesting that agricultural countries are going to become next super powers. It makes sense because I see that food prices are going up. Which countries are agricultural countries? India, Pakistan? Are they going to become super rich and dollar is going to lose its value? 

Name a single agricultural producing country that comes anyway near producing what the US does?

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Name a single agricultural producing country that comes anyway near producing what the US does?

I don't know I just heard people gloating about the end of industrial revolution. My family has some agricultural land, and they spent their whole lives in cities but suddenly they became obsessed with how life is so much better in agricultural societies. I also heard that Dajjal will have wheat in his one hand. 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
1 hour ago, rkazmi33 said:

I don't know I just heard people gloating about the end of industrial revolution. My family has some agricultural land, and they spent their whole lives in cities but suddenly they became obsessed with how life is so much better in agricultural societies. I also heard that Dajjal will have wheat in his one hand. 

Salam agriculture always highly recommended in Shia Islam but Dajjal is a Sunni matter that it said somethins like clouds is behind & after him that looks like bread & water but it's just a powerful illusion.

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, 313 Seeker said:

It does not have to be the leading cause of death to be a major health crisis.

Heart disease and cancer aren't infectious. This is.

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

It does not have to be the leading cause of death to be a major health crisis.

Heart disease and cancer aren't infectious. This is.

yes, but the common flu is infectious, and if you are speaking worldwide, we have malaria and HIV that I think are still ahead of those numbers. It's a pretty big commotion to make by destroying the world order for something that has these numbers, in my opinion.

• Forum Administrators
3 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

we have malaria and HIV that I think are still ahead of those numbers

Malaria does not affect the developed world, by and large. Also in the west HIV is pretty much contained now. The common flu does not lead to an international shortage of ventilators.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Malaria does not affect the developed world, by and large. Also in the west HIV is pretty much contained now. The common flu does not lead to an international shortage of ventilators.

BUSINESS INSIDER:

80% of NYC's coronavirus patients who are put on ventilators ultimately die, and some doctors are trying to stop using them

• Moderators

Obviously if you don't "believe in" science this article (and every other scientific article that exists) will be meaningless to you. 

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-not-human-made-lab-genetic-analysis-nature

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, notme said:

Obviously if you don't "believe in" science this article (and every other scientific article that exists) will be meaningless to you. 

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-not-human-made-lab-genetic-analysis-nature

telling me I don't believe in science is like telling a Shia he doesn't believe in religion because he doesn't trust all suni sources.

I don't trust most "scientists" to be truthful. 

And that article doesn't prove anything to me. Feel free to be jumping with joy. Also, if you see something that really proves something, then please explain it to all of us here. Try to explain it in simple terms so everyone can follow.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

then please explain it to all of us here. Try to explain it in simple terms so everyone can follow.

Look, virology is too complicated for people who "don't trust" math. There is no possible way to explain this to you. 

Nothing scientific can be explained without recourse to scientists AND to math. You will not understand until you let go of your preconceptions. 

Edited by notme
  • Advanced Member
Just now, notme said:

Look, virology is too complicated for people who "don't trust" math. There is no possible way to explain this to you. 

Nothing scientific can be explained without recourse to scientists AND to math. 

hey I never said that I don't trust "maths" and I understand biology better than you, as I graduated with honors and worked in the field. So what are you on about? I worked in genetic engineering btw. So I can probably explain better to you than you to me when it comes to this! 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

telling me I don't believe in science is like telling a Shia he doesn't believe in religion

No, it's like telling a Shia that he can't possibly understand his religion and is likely to be led astray by charlatans because he doesn't believe in the use of language to communicate. 

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, notme said:

No, it's like telling a Shia that he can't possibly understand his religion and is likely to be led astray by charlatans because he doesn't believe in the use of language to communicate. 

you are the one who doesn't want to communicate. All I said was that you should communicate the actual proof that you present here in a boring article that has no substance. Sounds like a science gossip magazine

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

hey I never said that I don't trust "maths" and I understand biology better than you, as I graduated with honors and worked in the field. So what are you on about? I worked in genetic engineering btw. So I can probably explain better to you than you to me when it comes to this! 

I don't believe you. How about you explain genetic engineering to us all here in the forum in a way that we all will understand - but without referencing any scientists or theories.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:36 PM, 313 Seeker said:

you can forget it! If I ever study maths, I'll do some vedic mathematics or something not mainstream. I hate the modern maths that teaches "long" division. That means they know there is a shorter one! Really! How mean!

Edited by notme
Typo
  • Moderators
Just now, 313 Seeker said:

you are the one who doesn't want to communicate. All I said was that you should communicate the actual proof that you present here in a boring article that has no substance. Sounds like a science gossip magazine

Let me guess: you don't "believe in" analogy either? 

Clearly you entirely missed my point. One of us is short some communication skills, but I can't objectively determine which. 

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, notme said:

I don't believe you. How about you explain generic engineering to us all here in the forum in a way that we all will understand - but without referencing any scientists or theories.

easy. I think everybody knows that all living organisms, and cells and bacteria etc. have DNA / RNA .. which are basically like codes for making proteins that build our bodies. And the DNA code can be divided into sections that are responsible for different things. So what genetic engineering is, to manipulate those sequences to basically change the expression of proteins and thus how the cell or organism gets built and operate. I worked in creating mutations in plants to find the genes responsible for disease, and edit them in a way so that they don't get sick. That is one of the things I did with genetics. I also worked with flies. I think any layman can understand this I believe. And if not, then at least I tried. Unlike you

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, notme said:

Let me guess: you don't "believe in" analogy either? 

Clearly you entirely missed my point. One of us is short some communication skills, but I can't objectively determine which. 

analogy? What are you on about? your sarcasm makes your statements confusing to understand.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

easy. I think everybody knows that all living organisms, and cells and bacteria etc. have DNA / RNA .. which are basically like codes for making proteins that build our bodies. And the DNA code can be divided into sections that are responsible for different things. So what genetic engineering is, to manipulate those sequences to basically change the expression of proteins and thus how the cell or organism gets built and operate. I worked in creating mutations in plants to find the genes responsible for disease, and edit them in a way so that they don't get sick. That is one of the things I did with genetics. I also worked with flies. I think any layman can understand this I believe. And if not, then at least I tried. Unlike you

1. How can you prove that DNA/RNA exists, without using easily tampered lab equipment or relying on the statements of "scientists" who might have lied to mislead us?

2. Without recourse to "scientists" who might have lied, or easily tampered lab equipment, how can you say with certainty that we are "made of proteins"?

3. So you "manipulate DNA" using computers that were built and programmed by fallible hardware and software engineers and you can rely on it to change things you can't see changing on a substance that you can't prove exists without referencing scientists or using easily tampered or misread lab equipment. 

And still you are certain that other people doing research in other areas are ALL lying? 

And yes this explanation is certainly at a layman's level. My eight year old could have explained just as much. So that's all I need to know for a career in genetic engineering? For some reason I thought it would be complex since they have entire degrees in it. Great. When this pandemic is over, I'll be working in a lab. Cool. 

And I still doubt that you have any expertise in any scientific field. Maybe you got your degree from Liberty University or similar - you know the kind of place, "pay your fee, get your C". Nobody who is high or asleep through all of high school math and doesn't trust long division is going to be able to earn an actual science degree. 

Edited by notme
What are you doing autocorrect?
  • Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, notme said:

1. How can you prove that DNA/RNA exists, without using easily tampered lab equipment or relying on the statements of "scientists" who might have lied to mislead us?

2. Without recourse to "scientists" who might have lied, or easily tampered lab equipment, how can you say with certainty that we are "made of proteins"?

3. So you "manipulate DNA" using computers that were built and programmed by fallible hardware and software engineers and you can rely on it to change things you can't see changing on a substance that you can't prove exists without referencing scientists or using easily tampered or misread lab equipment. 

And still you are certain that other people doing research in other areas are ALL lying? 

And yes this explanation is certainly at a layman's level. My eight year old could have explained just as much. So that's all I need to know for a career in genetic engineering? For some reason I thought it would be complex since they have entire degrees in it. Great. When this pandemic is over, I'll be working in a lab. Cool. 

And I still doubt that you have any expertise in any scientific field. Maybe you got your degree from Liberty University or similar - you know the kind of place, "pay your fees, get your Car". Nobody who is high or asleep through all of high school math and doesn't trust long division is going to be able to earn an actual science degree. 

some people actually are smart enough to get through highschool without studying. And then they decide to get serious after a semester or two in college. Anyway, I don't care what you think about me, or what you believe. You seem to have some personal issues with me or yourself, as you continuously like to get personal with me. I take it as a compliment thank you

• Haji 2003 changed the title to COVlD-19 Big Picture