Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Celebrating Christmas?

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

This is such a sunni answer.

yeah, you may be a nuanced writer but you are a horrible reader.

I never said you used Wikipedia. I said i remember you telling someone not to use Wikipedia. Just to be clear, you love Wikipedia but don't recommend anyone use it. Very sunni of you.

Your memory is faulty, I never told anyone not to use Wikipedia, but I told them not to cite it as a source in an academic discussion, because Wikipedia isn’t a primary source. It’s a helpful tool in its own right yet anyone who has studied at a credited institute knows it can’t be cited as a source in itself.

8 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

All Muslims believe Islam is the one true religion. But if you are so true to Islam, why do you take the day off on Dec 25. I would insist on working to send the message that Christmas has no meaning.

When I was employed (I’m a business owner now and am my own boss) I didn’t have a choice. It’s a basic principle in our Religion that a person isn’t held accountable for that which is beyond his or her control.

Secondly, taking a holiday on December 25 doesn't necessarily mean you are celebrating Christmas. Not working does not = celebrating.

If I'm not working on December 25, which is understandable because there is no work since over 90% of the society celebrates Christmas and there are no customers, I'm not celebrating either, or participating in Christmas by any means. On the contrary, I'm probably catching up on some sleep, ordering Chinese food, watching some old black and white comedy, or my favorite, going for a nice long walk in the cool, fresh air of Canada - it's the best time since the streets are deserted.

The above (bold italics) came from Wikipedia.

Like I said, Wikipedia is a useful tool to locate sources quickly. But it’s not my actual source.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is totally haram to celebrate Christmas for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is a non-Muslim festival and it hasn’t been legislated in our Shari’ah. Participating in non-Muslim religious festivals

So Hz. Isa wasn't actually born on Dec 25th. I wish my Christian friends Merry Christmas. Sometimes there is a gift exchange at work and I participate in that too. Thats about it. Definitely

David - you are always welcome just like you are welcome on ShiaChat. BTW, this is not a Shiah vs Sunni issue. I have met shiahs who think like Cherry as well. With the adage that "Man is ei

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Cherub786 said:

Your memory is faulty, I never told anyone not to use Wikipedia, but I told them not to cite it as a source in an academic discussion, because Wikipedia isn’t a primary source. It’s a helpful tool in its own right yet anyone who has studied at a credited institute knows it can’t be cited as a source in itself.

When I was employed (I’m a business owner now and am my own boss) I didn’t have a choice. It’s a basic principle in our Religion that a person isn’t held accountable for that which is beyond his or her control.

Secondly, taking a holiday on December 25 doesn't necessarily mean you are celebrating Christmas. Not working does not = celebrating.

If I'm not working on December 25, which is understandable because there is no work since over 90% of the society celebrates Christmas and there are no customers, I'm not celebrating either, or participating in Christmas by any means. On the contrary, I'm probably catching up on some sleep, ordering Chinese food, watching some old black and white comedy, or my favorite, going for a nice long walk in the cool, fresh air of Canada - it's the best time since the streets are deserted.

Like I said, Wikipedia is a useful tool to locate sources quickly. But it’s not my actual source.

Yup, still a very sunni answer.

Use Wikipedia, don't cite it...what you mean is use and cite as long as it serves your purpose.

Kind if what you did the reference above.

I wish you success in your business. I am sure you dont employ any Christians and even if you do, make sure you don't let then take off on Christmas....exclusivity'n'all

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Yup, still a very sunni answer.

Use Wikipedia, don't cite it...what you mean is use and cite as long as it serves your purpose.

Kind if what you did the reference above.

I wish you success in your business. I am sure you dont employ any Christians and even if you do, make sure you don't let then take off on Christmas....exclusivity'n'all

You gotta give cherry credit, at least he's found a better source rather than Ibn Taymiya/ Abu Hurrairah. 

Edited by YoungSkiekh313