Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What does it mean that “whoever is blind in this world will be blind in the hereafter”?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

17.72. Whoever is blind in this (world) (who has followed no guidance towards true faith and righteousness and accountability in the Hereafter), will be blind in the Hereafter, and even further astray from the way (that leads to Divine forgiveness and eternal contentment).

Does it mean the non-Muslims or atheists will be in hell?

I have read in exegeses that the verse refers to:

• blindness to wilayah (Sunnis in hell?)
  • blindness to the signs of God (Atheists in hell?)
  • blindness to duties, e.g. putting off the performance of hajj (Nonpracticing muslims in hell?)

Also, does the hadith “whoever dies without recognising the imam or his time dies the death of jahiliah” mean that all Sunnis and non Muslims are in hell because they don’t know about Imam Mahdi (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف) is the Imam of our time?

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Moderators
32 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

Does it mean the non-Muslims or atheists will be in hell?

I have read in exegeses that the verse refers to:

• blindness to wilayah (Sunnis in hell?)
  • blindness to the signs of God (Atheists in hell?)
  • blindness to duties, e.g. putting off the performance of hajj (Nonpracticing muslims in hell?)

Read this recent article.

Also, does the hadith “whoever dies without recognising the imam or his time dies the death of jahiliah” mean that all Sunnis and non Muslims are in hell because they don’t know about Imam Mahdi (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف) is the Imam of our time?

No it does not mean that all of them to Hell. The condition of going to heaven is that they are righteous Muslims who shall not have any hatred toward Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام). In narration it says:

What is the situation of those Muslims who accept Monotheism and the Prophethood of the Holy Prophet yet they die without knowing their Imām or knowing their wilāyah? 
Imām Bāqir said: “As for those, they shall remain within a pit which they shall not leave…” 
So whosoever from amongst them has righteous action
and they did not show enmity (to us), (God) shall open for him a passage to Heaven…
A breeze (from Paradise) will enter the pit until the day of Judgement where they shall meet with Allah and be taken account for their good deeds and their bad deeds. Either they shall go to Heaven (depending on their actions) or to Hell. For they are people upon which the command of God has been suspended.   Alī bin Ibrāhim al-Qummī, Tafsīr al-Qummī, v. 2, p. 260

• Veteran Member
49 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

blindness to the signs of God (Atheists in hell?)

This is the closest selection from your choices.

Mor specifically, it reveals that who is "blind" after the Ayats are pointed out will be blind on the Last Day.

See Ayat 14:42-43.

• Veteran Member
57 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

Sunnis and non Muslims are in hell because they don’t know about Imam Mahdi (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف)

Sunnis expect the lmam.

There is very little in hadith.

• Veteran Member
1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

Mor specifically, it reveals that who is "blind" after the Ayats are pointed out will be blind on the Last Day.

See Ayat 14:42-43.

Ayats = miracles or intelligent design of universe? Does it need to be pointed out by the Hujjah (Prophet/ Imam)?

• Veteran Member
9 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

Read this recent article.

Thank you. So I guess according to Imam Khomeini it would mean those who thought “maybe I’m following the wrong faith” but still said “I can’t be bothered doing research”.

“Yes, indeed, amongst them are those are blameworthy. Those who posited the possibility of falsity in their faith but neglected research and examination of proofs “

• Veteran Member
3 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Sunnis expect the lmam.

They don’t say he’s the living and current Imam of our time. But as brother Abu nur pointed if they do good deeds then they go to heaven :) “Alhamdulillah”.

• Veteran Member
2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Ayat means Sign.

Yes but which sign miracles or intelligent design & who points it out (their own intellect or Imam)

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Thank you. So I guess according to Imam Khomeini it would mean those who thought “maybe I’m following the wrong faith” but still said “I can’t be bothered doing research”.

Because it represents the verse:

"Rather, we will follow that which we found our fathers doing."

We all need to study our faith and verify what is truth.

• Veteran Member
2 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

Because it represents the verse:

"Rather, we will follow that which we found our fathers doing."

We all need to study our faith and verify what is truth.

Yes, until we become sincere, and if someone becomes sincere and convinced, he will not be punished (according to the article).

• Veteran Member
34 minutes ago, THREE1THREE said:

The Sunnis will be first to leave like an arrow when it leaves the bow. 

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying the Sunnis will follow dajjal?

If so, I think Imam Mahdi ((عليه السلام)) will bring clear proofs and no one but a wicked person would oppose him and fight him. Perhaps this is the rationale about ahadith where he will kill people who disbelieve in him.