Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it Haram to go so far as to read about Magic?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Bismillah i Rahman i Raheem

Assalaam o 'Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah i Wa Barakaatuh

 

Recently, a thought came into my mind as I was reading the Tafsir of Surah Falaq. Practicing magic is of course an incredibly big sin and must not be done, but what about reading about it, in the sense of incidents revolving around it? What about reading the methods use to practice it, for the sake of curioisty/learning/any intent that is not referring to practicing it.

 

JazakAllah

Wa 'Alaikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullah i Wa Barakaatuh

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Salam, 

If you are attempting to acquire knowledge, then no it's no haram. You would have to practice the actual action of performing magic for it to be haram. 

Intent is not haram, actions are. 

Even if your intention was to do magic, and you did not actually perform the action... then you have not sinned. 

I believe the only intention (none physical action) that is haram is shirk. 

WS

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
4 minutes ago, YoungSkiekh313 said:

Salam, 

If you are attempting to acquire knowledge, then no it's no haram. You would have to practice the actual action of performing magic for it to be haram. 

Intent is not haram, actions are. 

Even if your intention was to do magic, and you did not actually perform the action... then you have not sinned. 

I believe the only intention (none physical action) that is haram is shirk. 

WS

Wasalam

 

So far you are the only person who has shared this opinion who I have consulted on this matter, and your logic makes sense to me. Others often cite the fact that it's just risky and such a major sin that it's incredibly taboo. JazakAllah, thank you for your contribution to the matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

@MuhammadAqdas110 @YoungSkiekh313

What about this hadith which says to avoid learning astrology (also mentions how the astrologer is like the sorcerer)

Quote

Then Amir al-mu’minin advanced towards the people and said:

O People! Beware of learning the science of stars except that with which guidance is sought on land or sea, because it leads to divining and an astrologer is a diviner, while the diviner is like the sorcerer, the sorcerer is like the unbeliever and the unbeliever would be in Hell. Get forward in the name of Allah.
https://www.al-islam.org/nahjul-balagha-part-1-sermons/sermon-79-do-you-think-you-can-tell

I was about to gain such knowledge regarding astrology but Brother Ashvazdanghe stopped me

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

I know a very talented magician and my time spent with him was humbling and made me further realise that we need to be more skeptical and cautious.

It's not the sort of "magic" that you are thinking of but I think learning the means of trickery is good for our own security and for our understanding of human psychology.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
28 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

@MuhammadAqdas110 @YoungSkiekh313

What about this hadith which says to avoid learning astrology (also mentions how the astrologer is like the sorcerer)

I was about to gain such knowledge regarding astrology but Brother Ashvazdanghe stopped me

Astrology is using stars, and celestial objects to predict, or infer future events. Some say it's a science, others say it's a hoax.

Islam is very clear that astrology is haram, like magic.

Again, actions are haram. If you simply learn about astrology out of curiosity, seeking knowledge, and leave it to that..... then how have you sinned? If you believe in it, you have sinned... if you predict other peoples future , you have sinned.... if you learn, and preach against astrology, then you have not sinned. It's that simple. 

Learning about astrology to gain knowledge , however , is not haram. Like magic, astrology, and various other haram acts, one may risk deviating. This is why we leave these types of research to our scholars who have the faith, knowledge, and resources to conduct research on these topics. 

Imam Jafer As Sadiq actually promoted the science of astronomy ( this is different than astrology), and prophet Idris was known to teach astrology ( different than modern astrology)

Seeking knowledge to the cradle to the grave is not haram. Yes there are precautions, but it's to the persons discretion. 

Islam does not want its followers to be ignorant, keep learning. Learn why things are haram, and learn critically. 

Hope that answers your question. 

 

WS 

 

Edited by YoungSkiekh313
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

 @313_Waiter @YoungSkiekh313

 

I was actually unaware of the Hadith. It makes it clear that learning it is Haram, as expected. But I want to know if learning it also encompasses simply reading of it in curiosity. I would personally not read of it without confirmation that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has not decreed it Haram. I do wonder what Maraji like Ayatollah Sistani have to say about this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
59 minutes ago, MuhammadAqdas110 said:

 @313_Waiter @YoungSkiekh313

 

I was actually unaware of the Hadith. It makes it clear that learning it is Haram, as expected. But I want to know if learning it also encompasses simply reading of it in curiosity. I would personally not read of it without confirmation that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has not decreed it Haram. I do wonder what Maraji like Ayatollah Sistani have to say about this.

I'm pretty positive there in no objection, BUT, as a precaution do feel free to email Sistani's office. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
8 hours ago, MuhammadAqdas110 said:

 @313_Waiter @YoungSkiekh313

 

I was actually unaware of the Hadith. It makes it clear that learning it is Haram, as expected. But I want to know if learning it also encompasses simply reading of it in curiosity. I would personally not read of it without confirmation that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has not decreed it Haram. I do wonder what Maraji like Ayatollah Sistani have to say about this.

Please let me know what he says if you email him.

 

As an aside, this may be why learning astrology for predictive purposes is not encouraged:

 

Quote

“In astrology the whole cycle of manifestation, temporal and spatial, is seen as an unfolding of possibilities inherent in the unique Principle which itself lies above all manifestation. All multiplicity, all diversity, is deduced from Divine Unity, especially in Islamic astrology where this perspective of revealing the relation of the cosmos to its Unique Principle is of great importance. Therefore; although astrology, in placing intermediary causes between man and God, is opposed to a certain aspect of the Muslim perspective, its contemplative and symbolic side conforms closely to the basic spirit of Islam, which is to realize that all multiplicity comes from Unity and to seek to integrate the particular in the Universal - “Seyyed Hossein Nasr 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

 @313_Waiter @YoungSkiekh313

 

Insha'Allah I will let you know as soon as possible, hopefully on this thread only for the sake of convenience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 9/22/2020 at 2:11 AM, MuhammadAqdas110 said:

 @313_Waiter @YoungSkiekh313

 

Insha'Allah I will let you know as soon as possible, hopefully on this thread only for the sake of convenience.

Where on earth would you even learn about the kind of black magic Islam is against?

I just googled "How to do Black magic" for the sake of amusement.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/how-to-become-a-witch-beginners-guide/ -> I get these kind of links which sounds like cosplay at best or sites selling love potions

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/a3kk85/i-asked-a-muslim-sorcerer-to-put-a-spell-on-my-girlfriend -> I also got a link to this when I googled "how to do black magic islam" it was pretty amusing to read lol

Edited by El Cid
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Where on earth would you even learn about the kind of black magic Islam is against?

I just googled "How to do Black magic" for the sake of amusement.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/how-to-become-a-witch-beginners-guide/ -> I get these kind of links which sounds like cosplay at best or sites selling love potions

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/a3kk85/i-asked-a-muslim-sorcerer-to-put-a-spell-on-my-girlfriend -> I also got a link to this when I googled "how to do black magic islam" it was pretty amusing to read lol

Oh yes I've read those for amusement. I don't really know honestly, I just thought about the question once and thought maybe I should ask for an answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
51 minutes ago, MuhammadAqdas110 said:

Oh yes I've read those for amusement. I don't really know honestly, I just thought about the question once and thought maybe I should ask for an answer.

I found these if they are helpful:

Imam 'Ali ((عليه السلام).) says:

مَنْ تَعَلَّمَ شَيئاً مِنَ السِّحْرِ قَليلاً أَو کَثِيراً فَقَدْ کَفَرَ وَ کاَنَ آخِرُ عَهْدِهِ بِرَبِّهِ.

“One who learns magic, less or more, has become an infidel and his association with Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).) s completely severed.”6

However, as we have mentioned, if it is for the purpose of nullifying the sorcery of the sorcerers, then there is no harm in it. Rather, at times, on the basis of general obligation (wajib kifa’i) some individuals must necessarily learn it so that they can nullify the sorcery of a false claimant (to prophethood), should he desire to mislead the people by means of sorcery, and thus lay bare his lies and false claims.

And testifying to this is a tradition of Imam as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).), which states that one of the magicians, who used to take money for performing his magic, approached the Imam ((عليه السلام).) and said: Sorcery had been my profession; I would take money for it and in this manner managed to meet the expenses of my life. I even performed the Hajj by means of this income, however now I have abandoned it and have repented. Is there a way for me to achieve deliverance? The Imam ((عليه السلام).) replied: Open the knots of magic but do not tie the knots of sorcery.7

From this tradition it can be inferred that it is permissible to learn and practice magic if it is for the purpose of nullifying the (evil) effects of magic

Source: https://www.al-islam.org/180-questions-enquiries-about-islam-volume-two-various-issues/41-what-magic-and-how-does-islam-view

Well, whatever it is. I'm sure it's hard or the knowledge doesn't exist anymore. I'm not talking about rituals done by Pagans. I'm talking about the Harut-Marut kind of magic.

I also have this one personal theory that magic has weakened considerably in our world as the ancient knowledge of Magic no longer exists  because times have changed. The original magicians who did evil sorcery are long gone and nothing but dust/bone. I'm not saying there aren't ways of contacting Jinn etc but I don't consider that magic. 

Sayyad Husayn Dastghaib says this is the definiton of sorcery: The late Sayyad writes in Wasila an Najāt that magic means the writing and reciting of some special spells and charms and the burning of particular objects so that its smoke can be used for some extraordinary effects. Making a picture and blowing, or tying up knots, or buying special objects in particular places so that the person for whom the magic is intended may be affected physically or mentally. That is if he is reported lost he can be located by it or he can be put to sleep or made unconscious. It can also be used for creating love or discord between two people; like husband and wife etc.

So, I think in the end. This is just a rewardless futile quest which may or may not Incur Divine wrath.(Obligatory precaution) Probably best to just sweep it under the rug. Forget about it. And think about positive things like reading a book, doing better at work/school, spending time with family and friends, enhancing useful Islamic knowledge which will help you on the day of judgement for example read this: https://www.al-islam.org/fawaid-e-quran-sayyid-mustafa-musawi/benefits-recitation-chapters-holy-quran It has so many things I did not know about those Surahs.

Just my opinion. 

Wasalam brother.

Edited by El Cid
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
11 hours ago, El Cid said:

I found these if they are helpful:

Imam 'Ali ((عليه السلام).) says:

مَنْ تَعَلَّمَ شَيئاً مِنَ السِّحْرِ قَليلاً أَو کَثِيراً فَقَدْ کَفَرَ وَ کاَنَ آخِرُ عَهْدِهِ بِرَبِّهِ.

“One who learns magic, less or more, has become an infidel and his association with Allah ((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).) s completely severed.”6

However, as we have mentioned, if it is for the purpose of nullifying the sorcery of the sorcerers, then there is no harm in it. Rather, at times, on the basis of general obligation (wajib kifa’i) some individuals must necessarily learn it so that they can nullify the sorcery of a false claimant (to prophethood), should he desire to mislead the people by means of sorcery, and thus lay bare his lies and false claims.

And testifying to this is a tradition of Imam as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).), which states that one of the magicians, who used to take money for performing his magic, approached the Imam ((عليه السلام).) and said: Sorcery had been my profession; I would take money for it and in this manner managed to meet the expenses of my life. I even performed the Hajj by means of this income, however now I have abandoned it and have repented. Is there a way for me to achieve deliverance? The Imam ((عليه السلام).) replied: Open the knots of magic but do not tie the knots of sorcery.7

From this tradition it can be inferred that it is permissible to learn and practice magic if it is for the purpose of nullifying the (evil) effects of magic

Source: https://www.al-islam.org/180-questions-enquiries-about-islam-volume-two-various-issues/41-what-magic-and-how-does-islam-view

Well, whatever it is. I'm sure it's hard or the knowledge doesn't exist anymore. I'm not talking about rituals done by Pagans. I'm talking about the Harut-Marut kind of magic.

I also have this one personal theory that magic has weakened considerably in our world as the ancient knowledge of Magic no longer exists  because times have changed. The original magicians who did evil sorcery are long gone and nothing but dust/bone. I'm not saying there aren't ways of contacting Jinn etc but I don't consider that magic. 

Sayyad Husayn Dastghaib says this is the definiton of sorcery: The late Sayyad writes in Wasila an Najāt that magic means the writing and reciting of some special spells and charms and the burning of particular objects so that its smoke can be used for some extraordinary effects. Making a picture and blowing, or tying up knots, or buying special objects in particular places so that the person for whom the magic is intended may be affected physically or mentally. That is if he is reported lost he can be located by it or he can be put to sleep or made unconscious. It can also be used for creating love or discord between two people; like husband and wife etc.

So, I think in the end. This is just a rewardless futile quest which may or may not Incur Divine wrath.(Obligatory precaution) Probably best to just sweep it under the rug. Forget about it. And think about positive things like reading a book, doing better at work/school, spending time with family and friends, enhancing useful Islamic knowledge which will help you on the day of judgement for example read this: https://www.al-islam.org/fawaid-e-quran-sayyid-mustafa-musawi/benefits-recitation-chapters-holy-quran It has so many things I did not know about those Surahs.

Just my opinion. 

Wasalam brother.

Wow this was incredibly well written and very comprehensive! JazakAllah, may you be blessed a lot for this!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...