Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Not saving his life even when one can save

• Advanced Member

I would like to know what Jurist says about this question as well as what our intellect dictates:

Is it haram to not save our life if there are solid reasons and ways by which one can save his life? 

As an example, I would like to present the case of Ashab e Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) in Karbala. They all were given the opportunity to save their lives. Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) even assured them that he has lifted the responsibility of pledge of allegiance and in some reports even assured them of their success in hereafter.

Abu Hamza Sumali, relates from Imam Ali Zainul Abedeen ((عليه السلام).) that he said:

On the night preceding his Martyrdom, my father gathered his family and companions and said, ‘O people of my family and my Shi’ah! Consider this night, which has come to you as a mounting Camel and save yourselves, for these people do not desire anyone else except me. Then if they kill me, they shall not pursue you. May Allah have mercy upon you! Save yourselves. Verily I lift the responsibility of the allegiance and pledge which you have taken at my hands.’”

Assume if this choice is given to us, people of 21st century, what would be our choice?  What are the rationale for sacrificing lives for Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) and for not saving our lives? And whether the decision to sacrificing life if there is choice to save it, comes under the clause of self-harm which is considered as haram?

• Development Team

Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) had taken off bayah from them and permitted to leave but after leaving Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) what is the guarantee that they will continue on straight path and die on truth. However, staying with Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) would guarantee the best end for those who stayed back. 

14 minutes ago, Cool said:

And whether the decision to sacrificing life if there is choice to save it, comes under the clause of self-harm which is considered as haram?

Since Imam (عليه السلام) had given them choice, they would not have sinned had they decided to leave. 

و الله اعلم 

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Cool said:

I would like to know what Jurist says about this question as well as what our intellect dictates:

Is it haram to not save our life if there are solid reasons and ways by which one can save his life? 

As an example, I would like to present the case of Ashab e Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) in Karbala. They all were given the opportunity to save their lives. Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) even assured them that he has lifted the responsibility of pledge of allegiance and in some reports even assured them of their success in hereafter.

Assume if this choice is given to us, people of 21st century, what would be our choice?  What are the rationale for sacrificing lives for Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) and for not saving our lives? And whether the decision to sacrificing life if there is choice to save it, comes under the clause of self-harm which is considered as haram?

There are certain things worth sacrificing one's life for such as protecting the Imam.

Modern day example is how Iraqis mobilized against ISIS at the behest of Ayatollah Sistani.

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Cool said:

What are the rationale for sacrificing lives for Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) and for not saving our lives?

I will In-sha Allah write few lines addressing this question.