Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Reading the Holy Books

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hi there

Each morning I spend time reading the Bible.  I see it as one of the primary ways God speaks to us today.

So as I read, I listen and think about what God is saying.  I use those thoughts and ideas to help direct my life and behaviour during the coming day.

For example, this morning I read John chapter 6

John 6:27  Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

I've been asking God to help me do things today that will endure to eternal life.  "O God may my actions today have eternal consiquenses for good."

Is this a habit you have?  Maybe you read the Qur'an or other scripture each day and meditate on it.  Why not share here something you have learnt or been challenged by.

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

Usually I read the Quran after my daily prayers, however, life sometimes gets in the way. We read the Quran as more of a guidance, and way of bringing us closer to god. 

I was actually thinking of reading the bible, just as a curiosity, I think its always a good idea to learn more about other faiths. 

• Advanced Member
On 9/18/2020 at 11:46 PM, hasanhh said:

n John Chapter 6, passim, 'l am the bread of life' claim is repeatedly made.

Then, in John 13:26-27, he uses bread to cast devils/satans into an unsuspecting person.

When we read these two chapters 6 and 13 it is clear that the word "bread" has two very different meanings.

What do you think Jesus meant by "Bread of Life"?

Do you think that a person sent by God would use magic or sorcery to put evil into someone?

• Advanced Member
On 9/19/2020 at 2:34 PM, YoungSkiekh313 said:

Usually I read the Quran after my daily prayers, however, life sometimes gets in the way. We read the Quran as more of a guidance, and way of bringing us closer to god. 

Thanks this is helpful to know when and why you read the Qur'an.  In this dark world guidence is so important.

May the God of truth and light guide us to paths of righteousness.

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

When we read these two chapters 6 and 13 it is clear that the word "bread" has two very different meanings.HOW?

What do you think Jesus meant by "Bread of Life"? That he is the giver of life and not God.

Do you think that a person sent by God would use magic or sorcery to put evil into someone? No.

Answers in BOLD face type, above.

• Advanced Member
On 9/21/2020 at 9:22 PM, hasanhh said:

Answers in BOLD face type, above.

I appreciate your answers - thanks

In chapter 6 Jesus is talking metaphorically - the Bread he is talking about is something spiritual.

In chapter 13 we have a narrative and the bread is an actual physical thing.

I'm glad you don't think that Jesus would use magic or sorcery, I'm sure he wouldn’t too.  This story in chapter 13 shows Jesus knew what Judas would do.  Offering him the bread showed two things. 

Firstly, it was a sign to a question he had been asked about who would betray him.

Secondly, it was an act of friendship and hospitality to someone he knew was planning his arrest. Maybe it was giving Judas an opportunity to change his mind.  However, it was an act of love we can all learn from - reaching out to those who don't appreciate us or understand us and offering them friendship and hospitality.

I'm interested that you see the Bread of Life as indicating that Jesus is a person who gives life or the life giver.  When we are spiritually hungry or thirsty who should we go to for refreshment and sustenance?

• Advanced Member

I wonder if anyone else can share their experiences of reading the Holy Books?

I was reading today in John's account of Jesus' life and teaching about the lady who poured expensive perfume over Jesus.  Jesus saw this as an important act predicting his death and burial. (John chapter 12:1-8)  I ask myself what do I give to God which is extravagant?  Or do I just offer to God the minimal requirements?  So this afternoon I spent some time just being in God's presence, thinking of him and worshiping he for all the wonderful things he has done for me and for the world.