Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Which Animal is Closest to God?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Al Salaam Alaikum,

What animal do you think is the highest ranking? Some of the famous animals in Islam are

• the famous horse of Imam Hussein - Zuljanah?
  • the hoopoe of Prophet Sulayman?
  • the cats that the prophet Mohamed played with and would even share his own plates and cups with?
  • the sea creature that swallowed Prophet Yunis?
  • the camel that took prophet Mohamed to his new home in Medina?
  • the crow that taught Cain how to bury the dead?
  • the birds that Prophet Issa created with his own hands out of clay
  • the ants, bees, cow, spider who have chapters named after them in the Noble Quran?
  • the lion, as Imam Ali is the Lion of Allah?
  • The sheep who replaced Prophet Ibraheem's son to be slaughtered?
  • do you have any other suggestions or nominations?

When it comes to plants it would be a lot easier, as we basically would have two choices I believe: One is the olive and the other is the date tree. Of course the olive one would win, as God describes His own likeness by using the metaphor of olive oil. At the same time we know that the date tree is most like the Muslim according to some narrations. There are also the fig tree and the grapes, as well as others that I can't remember now, that are described as being present in the paradise. But I think that the way that Allah uses olive oil in the Quran, would make olive tree the highest ranking creature among the plant kingdom, wa allahu aalam.

Anyway, back to animals, I personally would chose also based on the Quran, and I would chose the dog. I know that people will jump and say, "but they are nijis", but hold on a second:

The dog is described in the Quran in a unique way as well. From my recollection it is the only animal which is referred to as a "friend", "companion", "saheb" of equal counting as holy adamite individuals. In surat kahf the dog is counted as one of the companions and counted individually by God as one of them. This is a sign of God. Secondly, I believe it a unique trait that dogs guard their humans and territory, in a way that even a lion or tyrannosaurus rex dinosaur would not do. Dogs instinctively guard their human 'packs' like no other visible creature to us, and really act like guarding angels. Thirdly their loyalty, faithfulness and devotion is exemplary. 

In any case, that is my fallible opinion. What do you think? What animal do you think is best and highest ranking in front of God, and why?

thanks!

Labayka ya Hussein

• Veteran Member

I would vote for zuljenah who cried and didn’t drink water even when thirsty because bibi sakeena didn’t drink water.

about dogs my mum told me they were made to protect Adam as when he was being attacked and the giant dogs would just eat up the enemies but take the story with a grain of salt.

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Veteran Member
39 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Did that ever happen ? 

و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

Just looking around it is narrated through quite weak chains in Sunni books, but I kind of assumed that it was an accepted story. 

Do Shias not generally believe it?

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

Just looking around it is narrated through quite weak chains in Sunni books, but I kind of assumed that it was an accepted story. 

Do Shias not generally believe it?

:salam:

Have always been kind towards spiders for that reason, just like all sunnis do ('You found a spider honey ? - Well DON'T KILL IT'). 

But have read somewhere this is a weak story. 

• Advanced Member
On 9/17/2020 at 11:34 PM, Ali_Hussain said:

wa 'alaykum assalam,

If there was a ranking, the spider that spun its web in the cave to help the Prophet (s) evade the Quraysh would have performed the best deed.

There is also an entire surah called surat ankabut, or the spider. So that insect is important to say the least, and they catch mosquitos and flies, which is already enough for me to have them receive a badge of honor.

Then there is of course the bees that are praised very much in quran and the ahadeeth for their healing honey and they are even compared to ahlulbayt in the hadiths. They also have a chapter in the quran dedicated to them. They are creatures who do kamikaze attacks against anybody who endogenous the colony, which is a symbol also of self sacrifice for the greater good. They die after delivering a sting. Sobhan Allah