Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do Born Shias and foriegn Shias accept westen reverts?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

as salaam alakim!!!

Ive notice in the west especially the US, theres not alot of shia centers like sunni(probobly because shia community is small here), anyway, i had a hard time getting accepted in to the community, and others as well, i know Sunnis and Salafis welcome reverts, and had better resources, and lit and more tools, but when it comes to the Shia communty its not all there, i mean its a small community and its hard to get in contact with a maulana or shaykh. Ad some seem unwelcoming, i head about some converts getting the cold shoulder, i know in other wester coutries shias accept reverts, but what do foriegn and born shias think?

• Moderators

Wa alaikum as salam

I haven't lived in the US but have met or heard of various converts, so it's not exactly something unusual. In Europe I have also met converts from various backgrounds at different masajid/religious centers.

Generally I don't think there's an issue with being a part of the religious community (which there shouldn't be anyway). 

Where converts sometimes struggle is marriage. It's wrong but unfortunately I think it's a real problem and I hope we can overcome this unislamic tribal mindset soon inshaAllah. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Lion of Shia said:

as salaam alakim!!!

Ive notice in the west especially the US, theres not alot of shia centers like sunni(probobly because shia community is small here), anyway, i had a hard time getting accepted in to the community, and others as well, i know Sunnis and Salafis welcome reverts, and had better resources, and lit and more tools, but when it comes to the Shia communty its not all there, i mean its a small community and its hard to get in contact with a maulana or shaykh. Ad some seem unwelcoming, i head about some converts getting the cold shoulder, i know in other wester coutries shias accept reverts, but what do foriegn and born shias think?

Walaikum salam brother. I completely agree. As a revert I still haven’t been able to fit into the community in real life in regards to majalis etc. I’ve also been given the cold shoulder at first because people were suspicious and questioning if I was an actual Shia or pretending because of my background (Palestinian)- you don’t rlly hear of Palestinian shias I guess so I see where they’re coming from but still.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Mariam17 said:

Walaikum salam brother. I completely agree. As a revert I still haven’t been able to fit into the community in real life in regards to majalis etc. I’ve also been given the cold shoulder at first because people were suspicious and questioning if I was an actual Shia or pretending because of my background (Palestinian)- you don’t rlly hear of Palestinian shias I guess so I see where they’re coming from but still.

I think that people generally are less suspicious of women being spies or foreign agents or whatever, same as their are less suspicious of Arabs or Africans. 

If you are a western European male, chances are you are work for MI5.

I know a Chinese revert who said that it took him a long time to be accepted into his local community (in Hong Kong) the community was mainly Pakistani, who to be fair do seem to be the driving force behind these deluded accusations of spying.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Advanced Member

I guess it comes from being judgemental and people thinking that because they were born Muslims, that they're automatically better than reverts. I find that reverts, in many cases are actually better than most Muslims because born Muslims unless they actively gain knowledge, just inherit the religion, while reverts actually searched for the truth so they understand the true value of Islam. InshAllah the situation becomes easier for you. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you and grant you happiness in the Dunya and the Akhirah.

• Basic Members

It is regrettable to see the idea of human brotherhood and equality of man with man not being materialized yet after more than 1400 years. The ignorant people forgot what Allah said about (racial) discrimination.

Allah shows us that one of His signs is the creation of differences of languages and complexions:

Among His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and complexions. There are indeed signs in that for those who know.

Ar-Rum (The Romans) 30:22

Understanding now that the very fact of the differences in languages and complexions, is one of the signs of Allah. We look further at what Allah has said on why He created those differences:

O mankind! Indeed We created you from a male and a female, and made you nations and tribes so that you might come to know one another.
Indeed, the noblest of you in the sight of Allah is the most Godwary among you.
Indeed Allah is all-knowing, all-aware.

Al-Hujurat (The Dwellings) 49:13

Here we can detuct from the part "Indeed, the noblest of you in the sight of Allah is the most Godwary among you." , that Allah sets out a principle by saying 'the noblest of you is the Godwary among you'. Allah did not say:

• The noblest of you are of tribe X
  • The noblest of you are male
  • The noblest of you are female
  • The noblest of you are the Arab
  • The noblest of you are the non-Arab

Even with Quraysh, Allah has rejected their feeling of superiority and instructed them to do as all other People do during Hajj by revealing the following verse:

And move onward together with the multitude of all the other people who move onward [to ‘Arafat],  and ask God to forgive you your sins: for, verily, God is much-forgiving, all-merciful.

Al-Baqara (The Cow) 2:199

The revelation of the verse above was on the occasion of the Hajj. The Quraysh tribe felt superior since they considered themselves superior to others for being custodian of the Ka'ba. So they did not go to 'Arafat during Hajj but to another place. The people of Quraysh argued that since they belonged to the Ka'ba, they did not need to go to 'Arafat. And thus the verse was revealed to give up their feeling of superiority and instructed Quraysh to go to the same place ('Arafat) when all the people go.