Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do not resist your leader?Imam Hussain?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Salaam Alaykum,

Are we permitted to resist the leader as per this? What about Imam Husain (عليه السلام)?

15- THE RIGHT OF THE POSSESSOR OF AUTHORITY

Then the right of the possessor of authority is that you should know that God has established you as a trial for him. God is testing him through the authority God has given him over you. And you should sincerely provide him with your advice. And you should not quarrel with him while he has full dominance over you, for thereby you cause your own destruction and his, too. And you should be humble and courteous for his gifts to attain his satisfaction with you, so that he will not harm your religion. And you should seek God's help in this regard. Do not oppose his power and do not resist him. Should you do so, you would have disobeyed him and disobeyed yourself: thus exposing yourself to encounter his evil and expose him to destruction by you. Thus you will deserve to be considered to be as his assistant acting against yourself and as his partner in what he does to you. And there is no power but in God. - Risalat al Huquq (Treatise of Rights)

Also can someone explain what is meant by prisoner here, it’s in a good connotation I think:

20) The Right of the Wife

The right of your wife (zawja) is that you know that God has made her a repose and a comfort for you; you should know that she is God's favour toward you, so you should honour her and treat her gently. Though her right toward you is more incumbent, you must treat her with compassion, since she is your prisoner (asir) whom you feed and clothe. If she is ignorant, you should pardon her. -Risalat al Huquq

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Advanced Member

With regards to this, I think that Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) had to revolt because if he didn't then Islam would've been no more. Yazid (la) was gonna destroy Islam because of the nature of his caliphate.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:28 PM, 313_Waiter said:

And you should be humble and courteous for his gifts to attain his satisfaction with you, so that he will not harm your religion. And you should seek God's help in this regard. Do not oppose his power and do not resist him. Should you do so, you would have disobeyed him and disobeyed yourself: thus exposing yourself to encounter his evil and expose him to destruction by you.

Imam al-Sajjad (عليه السلام) here says not to oppose otherwise he would harm your religion. Not doing something would have harmed Islam even more. In Imam Hussein's (عليه السلام) case he really had no choice but to oppose Yazid (la) because Yazid (la) was just disgusting. There are numerous hadiths talking about corruption and oppression, and how something must be done to get rid of it. One hadith went along the lines of, those who are silent while others are oppressed are guilty of oppression themselves. So Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) revolting is justified and his actions and sacrifice saved Islam. For us, if we see oppression, likewise we need to stand up to it, stand for what Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) did. Imam Hussein's (عليه السلام) stand against Yazid (la) had a positive outcome, saving Islam. If there were to be a negative outcome, it is likely Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) would never have stood up. This can be seen with his brother Imam Hasan (عليه السلام) and his father Imam Ali (عليه السلام). Imam Hassan (عليه السلام) didn't go against Muyawiah (la) because this would've affected all the muslims negatively and massive civil war would've broke out and so he had to sign the treaty to protect the Muslims from further bloodshed (i don't know if this application is correct). If we were to oppose a current leader and a positive outcome would emerge, and humanity were to benefit from that stand, then it wouldn't be a problem. However, if opposing him would, like Imam Sajjad (عليه السلام) says "thus exposing yourself to encounter his evil", have a negative outcome, that would likely harm humanity rather than help, i think here we should take a step back and not do anything and be patient. This may be what Imam (عليه السلام) means.

I'm not too sure about the meaning behind using the word prisoner but it may go like this. When you get married, she becomes apart of those whom your right hand possesses. She is under your care and you take her with you, she was previously under the care of her parents but then this responsibility falls under the husband. So i guess in this sense, the word prisoner can be used. I think you can also say that it may come from her having to listen to your instructions. Like I said before, I'm not too sure about this, it would be best if someone corrects me.