Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Good Christian speaker recommendations

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Peace to my Christian brothers and sisters:bye:

Im hoping someone here can help me. My fathers 78 years old and suffering from extreme anxiety. He has other health problems, but at this time, the anxiety is really doing a number on him. Anyway, ever since i was little, he steadily moved away from religion in all forms, and ive been praying for him to return. All of a sudden, in these last 2 weeks, hes had severe anxiety attacks. He tries not to take pills unless he absolutely needs to. Earlier tonight, he had another anxiety attack coming on, so he went in the house, but before he took a pill, he turned on the tv and there was a Christian speaker on tv. He started to listen to it and eventually all his anxiety subsided. He said he felt calm, relaxed and relieved. This has happened twice in the last week, now hes saying maybe religion is what he should be attentive to, so id like to recommend some good You Tube speakers so he has them available anytime he has an anxiety attack.

Im looking for good Christian male or female speakers, hopefully people who are not fire and brimstone, but speakers who speak calmly and pleasantly as too much intensity bothers him. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Advanced Member

back in my Catholic days (my mother was Catholic), we would listen to Fulton Sheen. He was a Arch-Bishop if I remember correctly, and a brilliant guy (held multiple PhDs, etc.)

He would offer up commentary that contained not only theological points, but philosophical, practical, and even political

he was famous for his statements, such as 

"If you do not live as you believe, you will end up believing as you live" 

"God does not love us because we are valuable. We are valuable because God loves us"

--

his videos are on youtube and elsewhere 

Edited by Silas
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Ravi Zacharias, he is good with the way he gets his message across (although he is trinitarian) I think there are many speeches/sermons of his which carry universal messages - he passed away recently.

• Advanced Member
On 9/9/2020 at 7:43 AM, shia farm girl said:

Im looking for good Christian male or female speakers, hopefully people who are not fire and brimstone, but speakers who speak calmly and pleasantly as too much intensity bothers him.

Using reverse psychology, couldn’t that actually be a reason to provide the “fire-and-brimstone” approach?

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

Ravi Zacharias, he is good with the way he gets his message across (although he is trinitarian) I think there are many speeches/sermons of his which carry universal messages - he passed away recently.

I don't think that he is a good choice given all the scandals that have surfaced since he passed away

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
5 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

I don't think that he is a good choice given all the scandals that have surfaced since he passed away

I am unaware of such scandals, could you elaborate brother, JazakAllah

• Veteran Member
9 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

I am unaware of such scandals, could you elaborate brother, JazakAllah

From what I have seen that he lied about his academic credentials (having attended Oxford and Cambridge) but more seriously that he was a sexual predator.

This video is based on recent revelations, if you go browse the channel you will find more (there is a playlist with nearly 60 videos)

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Advanced Member

Hi there

I'm not sure who to recommend

Max Lucado, Tim Keller, John Piper (Desiring God) all these have material on You Tube and their own websites

Another though is to search on Google for churches in your locality.  Many churches are streeming services or have sermons/services on their websites.  If you do this and find one your dad likes then they may be willing to send someone to chat with him.

May God bless you as you care for your dad.

• Advanced Member

Hopefully this can be helpful. I'll add to it if I run across anything else.

Firstly, some specific Christian perspectives on anxiety:

Here

Here

Here

Secondly, some books dealing with anxiety from a Christian perspective:

Here

Here

A couple of websites:

Here

Here

Finally, some general Christian speakers who talk sense without yelling:

Here

Here

Here

(All British, but we tend not to shout!)

• Advanced Member

I think I would also echo Dave's advice to find a sensible local minister, preferably at a church with a good pastoral support ministry.

Although certain drugs can be mixed blessings for mental health, beta blockers have few side effects and work well for anxiety. Obviously talk to a properly qualified doctor to access them first!

• Advanced Member

Andy Stanley is pretty popular these days.

https://northpoint.org/messages

He has a couple podcasts as well that are pretty convenient to listen to while on the road or out and about. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 9/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, Northwest said:

Using reverse psychology, couldn’t that actually be a reason to provide the “fire-and-brimstone” approach?

Salaam,

He cant handle stress inducing things at the moment. He even changes the channel durring comedy shows on tv when the couple in the show start having a funny disagreement. The "disagreement" is too much for him to deal with, so intense, fire and brimstone preaching or  speaking will not work for him.

His current state is extremely difficult for us around him to deal with because as soon as we say things that NEED to be said or asked, like, has the electric bill been paid yet, he snaps back with "leave me alone, dont bother me with that- I cant take any stress"...Ok then. Wait til the electric is turned off and see how much stress THAT brings --.--

He wont let any of his adult children handle these types of things because he has control issues and wants to control everything himself, even if hes not able to..i know, that doesnt make any sense, but thats how he is unfortunately:(

W/s

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salaam everyone, i want to thank everyone who has made suggestions , offered prayers and participated in this thread. I really appreciate it! 

May Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) reward you all!

W/s

Edited by shia farm girl
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shia farm girl said:

Salaam,

He cant handle stress inducing things at the moment. He even changes the channel during comedy shows on tv when the couple in the show start having a funny disagreement. The "disagreement" is too much for him to deal with, so intense, fire and brimstone preaching or  speaking will not work for him.

His current state is extremely difficult for us around him to deal with because as soon as we say things that NEED to be said or asked, like, has the electric bill been paid yet, he snaps back with "leave me alone, dont bother me with that- I cant take any stress"...Ok then. Wait til the electric is turned off and see how much stress THAT brings --.--

He wont let any of his adult children handle these types of things because he has control issues and wants to control everything himself, even if hes not able to..i know, that doesnt make any sense, but thats how he is unfortunately:(

W/s

Are you certain that he’s not a “targeted individual”? RFID, DEW, EMF, and whatnot. Not to mention jinn. These occurrences do take place.

Edited by Northwest