Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What is Wahdatul Wujood (Oneness of Existence) mean? 3 Views

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I have been reading this book, https://etheses.bham.ac.uk/id/eprint/7827/1/Alsamaani17PhD.pdf and the author Nader Ahmed M. Alsamaani says something very interesting:

"Contrary to mainstream scholars, however, I maintain that even though the advocates of wahdat al-wujud may all agree that existence is one, they differ in their interpretations of this claim. Some affirm pantheism, while others advocate other positions such as acosmism or panentheism."

I subscribe to the 1st interpretation, that Wahdatul Wujood is not acosmism nor panentheism, but pure pantheism.

Pantheism says existence is One existence and that means all is God and God is all, hence even we, are part of God.

Acosmism says only God is real and everything else is illusion, including us. We are just an illusion.

Panentheism says God permeates all things and we are all non-God, not illusion. We live in God.

That being said, I have concluded that Wahdat al Wujood did not start with Ibn Arabi. According to Alsamaani, Ibn Arabi, like most Shia gnostics, was a follower of acosmism.

I can't conclude that myself, the universe knows best, because I have not read enough of Ibn Arabi's writing to make a personal conclusion about him.

To the pantheist existence is one and God is existence so the universe is God and so is all that is in the universe, so we are not non-existent (acosmism).

To the pantheism both acosmism and panentheism are dualism, hence demonic. Acosmism leads to self loathing and a cynicism towards the universe. Panentheism leads

to the same but to a lesser level.

Some say, just like the movie 1995 movie Congo, this idea that God is something external to the universe who watches and judges is actually a prison system to control demons because the dualists are demons and Islam is the perfect system to control dualists. Muhammad and his Ahlul-bayt really were demon controllers like Solomon.

This reminds me of the argument, are you sure religion is from God or is it from the devil? It sounds like a silly question but the answer is not so simple. They say God is love and you will find that religion is mostly fear and threat based, not love based. So if God is love then the devil is fear. Fear is the opposite of love, therefore religion is demonic, it is not godly. If you look at world history, nothing has caused more blood-shed than religion. Nothing has deprived humans of freedom more than religion. 

Pantheism is the key that unlocks all the hidden doors. Once you see things that way you will realize that religion is a prison system formulated to control demons. As for pantheists their creed or pact is simply the silver rule and do not harm yourself but love yourself and seek bliss with no injustice.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, pantheistica said:

I have been reading this book, https://etheses.bham.ac.uk/id/eprint/7827/1/Alsamaani17PhD.pdf and the author Nader Ahmed M. Alsamaani says something very interesting:

"Contrary to mainstream scholars, however, I maintain that even though the advocates of wahdat al-wujud may all agree that existence is one, they differ in their interpretations of this claim. Some affirm pantheism, while others advocate other positions such as acosmism or panentheism."

I subscribe to the 1st interpretation, that Wahdatul Wujood is not acosmism nor panentheism, but pure pantheism.

Pantheism says existence is One existence and that means all is God and God is all, hence even we, are part of God.

Acosmism says only God is real and everything else is illusion, including us. We are just an illusion.

Panentheism says God permeates all things and we are all non-God, not illusion. We live in God.

That being said, I have concluded that Wahdat al Wujood did not start with Ibn Arabi. According to Alsamaani, Ibn Arabi, like most Shia gnostics, was a follower of acosmism.

I can't conclude that myself, the universe knows best, because I have not read enough of Ibn Arabi's writing to make a personal conclusion about him.

To the pantheist existence is one and God is existence so the universe is God and so is all that is in the universe, so we are not non-existent (acosmism).

To the pantheism both acosmism and panentheism are dualism, hence demonic. Acosmism leads to self loathing and a cynicism towards the universe. Panentheism leads

Some say, just like the movie 1995 movie Congo, this idea that God is something external to the universe who watches and judges is actually a prison system to control demons because the dualists are demons and Islam is the perfect system to control dualists. Muhammad and his Ahlul-bayt really were demon controllers like Solomon.

This reminds me of the argument, are you sure religion is from God or is it from the devil? It sounds like a silly question but the answer is not so simple. They say God is love and you will find that religion is mostly fear and threat based, not love based. So if God is love then the devil is fear. Fear is the opposite of love, therefore religion is demonic, it is not godly. If you look at world history, nothing has caused more blood-shed than religion. Nothing has deprived humans of freedom more than religion. 

Pantheism is the key that unlocks all the hidden doors. Once you see things that way you will realize that religion is a prison system formulated to control demons. As for pantheists their creed or pact is simply the silver rule and do not harm yourself but love yourself and seek bliss with no injustice.

God permeates all and we are not God and are not illusion.

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, pantheistica said:

Does life really have to sound this complicated with all this verbose language?  Acosmism , panentheism, pantheism...  

My “philosophy“ is that,  man is only capable of knowing how stupid, ignorant and limited he is.  So all he can do, is simply enjoy his or her life.  

If you really study Islam, and the Quran, without any preconceived notions of theology including standard concept of monotheism, you will realize that its theology is similar to the theology secular scholars associate with the Hebrew Bible and the ancient Hebrews, particularly the Yahwist school. That theology is known as monolatry: “Monolatry (Greek: μόνος [monos] = single, and λατρεία [latreia] = worship) is belief in the existence of many gods but with the consistent worship of only one deity. The term monolatry was perhaps first used by Julius Wellhausen. Monolatry is distinguished from monotheism, which asserts the existence of only one god, and henotheism, a religious system in which the believer worships one god without denying that others may worship different gods with equal validity.”

Islam is therefore monolatry and not monotheism, going strictly by the dictionary definition of these terms. Monotheism asserts the existence of only one God. Islam never uses such language, the Quran never says that only one God exists, let alone the idea that only God exists. The Quran acknowledges the existence of other gods, but says they are not worthy of worship. According to dictionary definition, a god is anything or anyone revered as divine. Islam acknowledges the existence of gods other than Allah. It acknowledges the existence of the sun, for example, which is worshiped by pagans and revered as divine. The Quran acknowledges the existence of idols which are likewise revered as divine by pagans. The Quran acknowledges the existence of Jesus Christ عليه السلام who till this day is revered as divine by over a billion people on the planet. Islam has never denied the existence of these “gods”, indeed, their existence is self-evident and cannot rationally be denied.

Edited by Cherub786
  • Advanced Member
On 9/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, Hadi5 said:

God permeates all and we are not God and are not illusion.

So God is not the only reality.  There is God and then there is also creation.  In other words. both (God and creation) occupy reality?  And the reality of God “permeates” the reality of creation.  Have I understood you correctly?

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
On 9/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, Cherub786 said:

If you really study Islam, and the Quran, without any preconceived notions of theology including standard concept of monotheism,

I have Really studied Islam and the Quran without any preconceived notions of theology (including our standard conception of monotheism), and to put it shortly, you are wrong about what you are saying.   

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

So God is not the only reality.  There is God and then there is also creation.  In other words. both (God and creation) occupy reality?  And the reality of God “permeates” the reality of creation.  Have I understood you correctly?

No.All thigs are through Him and not Indipendent.

Not two mutually exclusive.

8 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

I have Really studied Islam and the Quran without any preconceived notions of theology (including our standard conception of monotheism), and to put it shortly, you are wrong about what you are saying.   

Please quote me a couple of Quranic verses through which your theology of wahdat al wujud may be derived without any preconceived notions

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

have Really studied Islam and the Quran without any preconceived notions of theology (including our standard conception of monotheism), and to put it shortly, you are wrong about what you are saying.   

To summarise Wahdat al Wujood.

its simply the 99 names that are attributed to Allah due to His actions, are manifested by His creation thus the creation of Allah is a reflection of Him(I.e His 99 names attributed to Him). The creation is a sign that points and leads to the Creator. 

other fun facts.

Allah is omnipotent (everywhere) 

omnipotent (all-powerful) 

omniscient (all-knowing) 

All-seeing 

All-hearing 

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Cherub786 said:

Please quote me a couple of Quranic verses through which your theology of wahdat al wujud may be derived without any preconceived notions

هُوَ الْأَوَّلُ وَالْآخِرُ وَالظَّاهِرُ وَالْبَاطِنُ ۖ

وَهُوَ مَعَكُمْ أَيْنَ مَا كُنْتُمْ

Edited by Cool
25 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

I don’t accept wahdatul wujud.  I accept Wahdat As Shuhud..

Four views are outlined:

[1] The majority of the ‘ulama of the Shari’ah took the position that the existence of possible creatures is a real existence that is acquired, in the sense that it is dependent on the will of Allah Most High, His creation and His origination.

[2] Some of the Muslim philosophers expressed the view that their existence is relative (idafi).

[3] The adherents of the doctrine of the Oneness of Being, and the foremost of them is Shaykh Ibn ‘Arabi expressed the view that their existence is purely imaginary (khayali).

[4] The adherents of the doctrine of the Oneness of Perception, and the foremost of them is Mujaddid al-Alf al-Thani (Allah have mercy on him), expressed the view that their existence is a shadow existence (wujud zilli).

The third is wahdat al-wujud and the fourth is wahdat al-shuhud. Personally, I think all of these views with the exception of wahdat al-wujud (#3) are legitimate differences of opinion. I don’t think wahdat al-wujud is kufr, but it is certainly a misguided opinion.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Cool said:

Since when you have started playing @eThErEaL ? You were a strong proponent of wahdatul wujud.

I don’t think I was ever a proponent of anything.  
to come

and think about it.  I don’t accept wahdat As Shuhud either.  

I reject all beliefs. 

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
13 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

I reject all beliefs. 

Whatever you say, but I don't know why I feel that you're attached to Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) spiritually, it is not in your capacity to leave his door.

• Veteran Member

Explains the Tanzih (closeness) and Tashbih (transcendence) of God. Tanzih as in that “wherever you turn there is the face of Allah”. Like a shadow to an object.

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Explains the Tanzih (closeness) and Tashbih (transcendence) of God. Tanzih as in that “wherever you turn there is the face of Allah”. Like a shadow to an object.

Tashbih is: “Wherever you are... there is the face of God”

Tanzih is: “Nothing is like unto Him” etc etc

tashbih is similarity, comparability, 

Tanzih is incompatibility.

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
On 9/15/2020 at 1:12 PM, Cool said:

Whatever you say, but I don't know why I feel that you're attached to Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) spiritually, it is not in your capacity to leave his door.

No I am not attached.  Mainly since I am not worthy of being “attached” to such a personality.

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
On 9/14/2020 at 3:18 PM, Cherub786 said:

Four views are outlined:

[1] The majority of the ‘ulama of the Shari’ah took the position that the existence of possible creatures is a real existence that is acquired, in the sense that it is dependent on the will of Allah Most High, His creation and His origination.

[2] Some of the Muslim philosophers expressed the view that their existence is relative (idafi).

[3] The adherents of the doctrine of the Oneness of Being, and the foremost of them is Shaykh Ibn ‘Arabi expressed the view that their existence is purely imaginary (khayali).

[4] The adherents of the doctrine of the Oneness of Perception, and the foremost of them is Mujaddid al-Alf al-Thani (Allah have mercy on him), expressed the view that their existence is a shadow existence (wujud zilli).

The third is wahdat al-wujud and the fourth is wahdat al-shuhud. Personally, I think all of these views with the exception of wahdat al-wujud (#3) are legitimate differences of opinion. I don’t think wahdat al-wujud is kufr, but it is certainly a misguided opinion.

These are all just words.  

all views are wrong in as much as they are just views.  

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Advanced Member
50 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Mainly since I am not worthy of being “attached” to such a personality

This is what you think & I see it as humility. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) raise you with Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). I cannot pray anything better than this for you.

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Tashbih is: “Wherever you are... there is the face of God”

Tanzih is: “Nothing is like unto Him” etc etc

tashbih is similarity, comparability, 

Tanzih is incompatibility.

My bad I mixed the two

• Advanced Member
On 9/15/2020 at 12:15 AM, eThErEaL said:

If creation is not illusory, then it is a reality.  Correct?  

Yes you are correct.

Creation is Allah made Himself sppear in this form .But And this creation is not Allah'.That means reality of Allah' not creation.